Votes: 9 18.8%
  • First round fodder/Play-in chaser

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • 10th pick treadmill

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Tanktacular

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
He's not a big star. Yet. But, given that, it's really, *really* hard to imagine a more promising Face of the Franchise kind of player when the total package of Tyrese Haliburton is taken into consideration.
If we're projecting, the variance for Hali is significantly less than the variance for Fox. Hali's game is predicated on what's between the ears. Fox's is predicated on athleticism. Not certain, but certainly not a gigantic jump to say Hali's trending towards a level that is a perennial all star. Just gotta add some bulk to be able to consistently get into the lane and take on bulkier wings/guards.

He's not a big star. Yet. But, given that, it's really, *really* hard to imagine a more promising Face of the Franchise kind of player when the total package of Tyrese Haliburton is taken into consideration.
He's the kind of guy who can be the most important player on a team, without necessarily being the most "talented".

What I find most interesting, is how much his shot was questioned. Low and behold the dude is a dead eye shooter

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's the kind of guy who can be the most important player on a team, without necessarily being the most "talented".

What I find most interesting, is how much his shot was questioned. Low and behold the dude is a dead eye shooter
At Iowa state Tyrese shot 43% from three his freshman year and 42% his sophomore year on higher volume. The big question was whether he'd be able to get his shot off in the NBA. Lonzo Ball shot 41% from three at UCLA but only shot 30% in his rookie season in the NBA. Only now, in year 5 has he reached 40% from outside.

I think that was the big question with Haliburton. Would he have to overhaul his shot mechanics at the next level? The fact that instead he's just improved his ability to get his shot off has been the key.

At Iowa state Tyrese shot 43% from three his freshman year and 42% his sophomore year on higher volume. The big question was whether he'd be able to get his shot off in the NBA. Lonzo Ball shot 41% from three at UCLA but only shot 30% in his rookie season in the NBA. Only now, in year 5 has he reached 40% from outside.

I think that was the big question with Haliburton. Would he have to overhaul his shot mechanics at the next level? The fact that instead he's just improved his ability to get his shot off has been the key.
I watched every Ucla game that Lonzo played in and caught a handful of Hali’s games during his sophomore year. I think the one thing that differed between them was Lonzo shot the three as an after thought while Hali was asked to carry the scoring burden significantly more in his soph year, so he had to work on getting it off more. I think that difference probably should’ve been an early indicator that Hali’s shooting would translate. Gladly, 11 teams missed the signal.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Hali is gonna keep me interested through the rest of this dead season.

Hopefully he continues to put up more shots once (if?) Fox comes back. Those guys should carry the scoring. Take shots from Buddy, hell DNP him!

Hali is gonna keep me interested through the rest of this dead season.

Hopefully he continues to put up more shots once (if?) Fox comes back. Those guys should carry the scoring. Take shots from Buddy, hell DNP him!
I think the better question is whether Fox can improve his catch and shoot percentages. Since it's undeniable that the ball should be in Hali's hands. Otherwise, the Kings will continue to have a situation where they're in the bottom 10% in assist percentage (27/30 teams) while having a player (Hali), who is in the top 5% in assists (11/256 players). Yet that player is not even the team's primary ball handler.

Teams assist %: https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced/?sort=AST_PCT&dir=-1
Player YTD assist rankings: https://www.nba.com/stats/leaders/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular Season&StatCategory=AST

gunks

Hall of Famer
Shooting has always been the question with Fox though, hasn't it?

I liked the suggestion somebody made several games back, about Fox going full mid range with his shooting, since he's pretty efficient from there. Dunno if Gentry will work with that though.

Shooting has always been the question with Fox though, hasn't it?

I liked the suggestion somebody made several games back, about Fox going full mid range with his shooting, since he's pretty efficient from there. Dunno if Gentry will work with that though.
He's been shooting that a ton more, but mostly when he has the ball in his hands. It hasn't really been there when Hali is running that two man game with Holmes, since both Hali and Holmes are already in the paint.

He's never going to be considered elite at getting his shot off whenever he wants to. My thing is, who cares? He's a great shooter when he's open and when it's the right play... and he makes other players better with his passing ability. He's a total team player.

I cringe to think that the Kings may have almost traded him. Giving away the one legit player that fell to them in the draft

Once Hali adds 15 pounds of muscle, dude is a perennial all star. He's the Kings cornerstone.

And this is the key. When he gets that size and can bump defenders off teams might not be able to shut him down with simple pressure, hard hedges, and double teams. If he can't get that size, he's going to be a player reliant on things that will continue be up and down game to game. One game he won't even get 7 shots off comfortably, another he'll put up big numbers.

Whelp. James Ham has said on the radio that Fox not playing is all on Fox. No tanking, and not being held out for trades. Was never on an injury report. Nobody (Ham) knows what the real deal is outside of the organization.

If we're projecting, the variance for Hali is significantly less than the variance for Fox. Hali's game is predicated on what's between the ears. Fox's is predicated on athleticism. Not certain, but certainly not a gigantic jump to say Hali's trending towards a level that is a perennial all star. Just gotta add some bulk to be able to consistently get into the lane and take on bulkier wings/guards.
Like yours, my guess is that he's capable of putting up those perennial all-star kind of numbers - but not on a team w/another dominant ball-handler. I don't see him ever being a 25-pt scorer. He could be a junior Luka figure - less rebounding and scoring, better team D, more positive leadership style, big assist numbers.

Whelp. James Ham has said on the radio that Fox not playing is all on Fox. No tanking, and not being held out for trades. Was never on an injury report. Nobody (Ham) knows what the real deal is outside of the organization.
Cynical me: Fox is pulling a Kawahi, because he see himself as a Kawahi level player...or...is taking a cue from Bagley, who I think has pulled the I'm hurt card more than a few times over the last few years.

Optimistic me: He's getting traded!

The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't know what "never on an injury report" is supposed to mean, but Fox has absolutely been listed on the Official NBA Injury Report (https://official.nba.com/nba-injury-report-2021-22-season/) for all this time.

While it may indeed be true that Fox is not in fact injured, I tend to trust Ham about as much as other well-known sandwiches, such as "turkey" and "baloney".

I don't know what "never on an injury report" is supposed to mean, but Fox has absolutely been listed on the Official NBA Injury Report (https://official.nba.com/nba-injury-report-2021-22-season/) for all this time.

While it may indeed be true that Fox is not in fact injured, I tend to trust Ham about as much as other well-known sandwiches, such as "turkey" and "baloney".
Ha ha! I may need to work on my transcription skills. Fox was not on the injury report prior to missing the first game of this stint was the point of the comment.

Either way, Ham implied this whole thing is a little suspect and worrisome.

I'll speculate. I believe they had told him that he was being discussed in possible trades,... he was very open to the idea and thought he would get traded,... then they announced that he was no longer being shopped, which surprised or disappointed him. Now he's "holding out".

If you look at the timing of everything, it's possible. He wasn't even on the injury report an hour before the Milwaukee game

I'll speculate. I believe they had told him that he was being discussed in possible trades,... he was very open to the idea and thought he would get traded,... then they announced that he was no longer being shopped, which surprised or disappointed him. Now he's "holding out".

If you look at the timing of everything, it's possible. He wasn't even on the injury report an hour before the Milwaukee game
So, he's demanding a trade?