for 2006, who kings can get(free agent)??

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Forget about Larry Hughes. He's a great player no doubt, but we're not going to get him so why bother thinking about it?

The Dalembert question is an interesting one. I've been asking myself that question too, so I thought I'd look up some numbers and give it a shot. He's not an established defensive presence, but he looks like he might develop into one. I don't think he's really our ideal solution because he's a player that needs some work before he'll deserve a full-time starting spot. On the other hand, he's young so he's got more upside than a Theo Ratliff.

I thought I'd look at what some comparable players are making. Mark Blount's got a contract starting at 4.9 and scaling up to 7.9 in year 6. That's a pretty huge contract, but big men with some skills are a valuable commodity in this league so that's about what to expect. Eddy Curry made 3.8 this year and Tyson Chandler made 4.8. Both are better than Dalembert. Nene only made 2.4, a relative bargain. Scott Pollard made 5.8 this year (I think Indiana expected him to be a starter) and will make 6.2 next year. He's got more of a track record than Dalembert, but obviously not nearly the same athleticism. Kandiman made 5.4. Nazr Mohammed made 5.25. Nesterovic made 6.16.

Philadelphia does have a history of overpaying for guys (like Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner). He made 1.6 this year. There's also a guy named Webber taking up 19 million next year, so they've got reason to be cautious with cap space. He was drafted in 2001 so he's eligible for the Bird exception. Which means, if Philly thinks he's important enough, they can pay him up to the max contract.

I expect he'll sign a contract with Philly starting around 5 million. Which is overpaying, but they're expecting him to live up to his potential and become a real defensive presence. In any case, given Philly's situation, unless they've given up on Dalembert and pick up a big man in the draft this year instead, he's going to be making more than the MLE next year unless either the MLE goe sup significantly or he's tired of playing with AI. If he legitimizes himself as a starter with a full set of skills, not just an athletic bigman shotblocker, than his 5 mill contract could be a good deal. I don't think he's the best option for us though because he's not going to make us significantly better in the near future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
moppeh said:
You guys all know you did get suckered in to this thread by a Laker fan asking a purposely absurd question...

Ahh...it looks like I just got duped as well!
May I ask how you know he/she is a Laker fan?

If that's a sample of a Laker troll coming and asking a "purposely absurd question," this guy is gonna have to work a LOT harder. That's nowhere near the standard set by previous Laker fans wanting to disrupt the site.

Regardless of who started it, the knowledgeable fans around here have turned it into an interesting discussion so, if the original purpose was to be non-productive, it's failed.

VF21 said:
May I ask how you know he/she is a Laker fan?

If that's a sample of a Laker troll coming and asking a "purposely absurd question," this guy is gonna have to work a LOT harder. That's nowhere near the standard set by previous Laker fans wanting to disrupt the site.

Regardless of who started it, the knowledgeable fans around here have turned it into an interesting discussion so, if the original purpose was to be non-productive, it's failed.
I agree. I know that not everyone wants to talk post season this early, but this gave those who do a great creative outlet. Poor LA, they can't even disrupt a message board successfully :p .

What I would like if Cat does not come back sign Marko Jaric and go for a trade to get a good defensive PF(does not have to be an offensive PF but one that can bring shot blocking rebounding and defend the post).

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
^That sounds like my best-case scenario too. Jaric may be a step down from Mobley offensively, but it could be one of those addition by subtraction things in that he's a pretty good team contributer. And he's definately a step up defensively.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
AleksandarN said:
What I would like if Cat does not come back sign Marko Jaric and go for a trade to get a good defensive PF(does not have to be an offensive PF but one that can bring shot blocking rebounding and defend the post).
I have a significant question with Jaric about his health. On our team, of all teams. In three NBA seasons he's played in 66, 58, and 50 games, and this year in particular his injury woes really hurt the Clips.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
I have a significant question with Jaric about his health. On our team, of all teams. In three NBA seasons he's played in 66, 58, and 50 games, and this year in particular his injury woes really hurt the Clips.
that would fit perfectly in the current Kings situation. Plenty of room behind the bench.

Bricklayer said:
That is pretty much the down side with him is his health. But that is the reason I think we can get him for cheap.

teamdimechampionship said:
Forget jaric. I think Special K is better than that guy. No Clippers....you have to teach those guys way too much about teamwork. It's not worth the effort.
Jaric is the teamwork player you are looking for. Also I do not see Special K is ready for the starting position just yet. Also another player I like is Raja Bell.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
teamdimechampionship said:
Forget jaric. I think Special K is better than that guy. No Clippers....you have to teach those guys way too much about teamwork. It's not worth the effort.
You have obviuosly never seen Jaric play. Special K is at the moment definitley not the better player. Only issue with Jaric is his foot. He was one half of the best back court tandem that europe has seen in a while. The other half plays for the Spurs