Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expected to see some movement in the direction it's going to end up in anyway, instead all I see is Bjelica might be in the rotation again. Kangz.

Looking the the bigs defensive stat individually instead of "Team" defense, I've noticed a problem. This is how well the opponent they are guarding performs.

2a.PNG
2b.PNG
2c.PNG
2d.PNG

Look at the 10-14 foot range, something is happening with both Holmes & Bagley and not with Whiteside.

Could it be the impact of a pick and roll? I'm not sure, but this may be a specific on a major problem we are having defensively.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Vivek is In this unbelievable cycle of firing either the head coach or GM but not at the same time. Walton is not Monte’s guy. And for those who don’t really think Walton is a problem, let me remind you after the bubble that DeAaron Fox literally said they are never quite prepared to handle the other team’s schemes and it’s every effing game like that. That is a direct knock on the coaching staff.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Luke isn’t getting another head coaching job after this. At least not anytime soon. He’s been bad up to this point. Two semi talented teams and got nothing out of them.
He inherited a dumpster fire in LA and actually improved them then LeBron showed up and he was expected to bring a championship immediately despite the cupboard being bare. I think he deserves credit for his time at GS - which he actually won at a higher clip - but I do believe that he can't coach with actual expectations on his shoulders and until then he is going to be a failure and lose the players quite quickly - something he did with LeBron and something that has clearly happened here. The LeBron experience broke him and I am sure he learned the wrong lessons from his time with the Ball family. He needs to take an assistant job in the NCAA ranks and rebuild his confidence and resume and then maybe he'll have a shot at being a successful coach. He is a smart guy who has learned from 3 of the greats.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Vivek is In this unbelievable cycle of firing either the head coach or GM but not at the same time. Walton is not Monte’s guy. And for those who don’t really think Walton is a problem, let me remind you after the bubble that DeAaron Fox literally said they are never quite prepared to handle the other team’s schemes and it’s every effing game like that. That is a direct knock on the coaching staff.
If I was Monte I'd have kept Walton around this year just to be the fall guy while I got to rebuild my team. I think the problem is that Walton is now actively damaging this team's psyche in a way that may be more detrimental than just advancing our lottery stock. I am sure Monte discussed this upfront and the real problem is when a coach is hired immediately before a new GM, not when the GM inherits the coach.

Fire the coach is the first thing Kings' fans come up with. They have been running coaches out of town for 15 years of hapless play.
What what you give to have Mike Malone back?
Dave Joerger?
Adelman?
28 different coaches since 1945.
If you want to win horse races you need fast horses.
how many x-kings coaches outside of Malone went on to do anything in the league? We’ve ran a lot of coaches out, but it’s not like we’ve ran a bunch of highly talented coaches out.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
My understanding is those games are officially on Kerr's W-L.
This is correct. The .404 winning percentage (rounds to .405, actually, but whatever) does not include GSW games, just three seasons with LAL and a season and change with us.

For what it's worth, his winning percentage with us is 26 points higher than with the Lakers.

Not that this excuses his coaching us into being the worst NBA defensive team of all time.

If I was Monte I'd have kept Walton around this year just to be the fall guy while I got to rebuild my team. I think the problem is that Walton is now actively damaging this team's psyche in a way that may be more detrimental than just advancing our lottery stock. I am sure Monte discussed this upfront and the real problem is when a coach is hired immediately before a new GM, not when the GM inherits the coach.
There is too much leftover bad blood from last season. Now instead of Buddy being alone on the hate wagon more have joined the club. It doesn't matter who the fall guy is when things are going this badly. If they were looking at a clear cap and young players on rookie deals instead of a few max ones done and a few on the horizon he could afford to wait but he isn't. And they are both problems unless that coach has the power. The Kings have literally written the book on this. Once one way with Malone and PDA and the other with Karl and Vlade. NEITHER WORK unless that leftover coach has the support of his players and success in his back pocket. Luke has neither.

Walton is absolutely underusing Whiteside. I don’t care about his faults, the man started on playoff teams. He isn’t below any other big on this roster.
have you considered he is being told to limit Whiteside who isn’t tradable and isn’t a piece for the future? Not sure why McNair is getting off scot-free.

Who are the good coaches we should go after once Walton is let go? We can’t afford to miss on next coach. We need stability.
We have gentry

And stability is over rated. Just need coaches to play the right people at the right time. Coaches get changed all the time and still win. Walton is a bum. So tired of his we gotta do better speeches with no plan on how to do better

Who are the good coaches we should go after once Walton is let go? We can’t afford to miss on next coach. We need stability.
Well the assistant they stuffed right behind him is clearly the early option. Maybe Monte wasn't clear about the position of his team when he got the gig? I would say bringing in an assistant coach that historically fits the bill of the style of ball he spoke of had a purpose behind it. Time to get to that purpose Monte. In the blame game of the NBA you'll catch about as little flack as possible right now. Wait until the pride shows up for a brief moment or Buddy goes nuclear for a stretch and you'll pull a PDA where he let Malone go at a fairly ridiculous moment on the surface.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
There is too much leftover bad blood from last season. Now instead of Buddy being alone on the hate wagon more have joined the club. It doesn't matter who the fall guy is when things are going this badly. If they were looking at a clear cap and young players on rookie deals instead of a few max ones done and a few on the horizon he could afford to wait but he isn't. And they are both problems unless that coach has the power. The Kings have literally written the book on this. Once one way with Malone and PDA and the other with Karl and Vlade. NEITHER WORK unless that leftover coach has the support of his players and success in his back pocket. Luke has neither.
My main point is that probably whoever started this season would also be fired in short order so you at least TRY to make it work. Well, now its time to move on and promote the guys he clearly brought in to close the season. Unfortunately with almost the entire season remaining.

I just hope that whoever his true number one is is available at the end of the year.

Geez, another fire the coach thread. As if that will make any difference. Reminds me as to when the owner fired Malone and named Tyrone Corbin as the head coach. How did that work out?
Bottom line here-it is the players and lack of talent thereof. It was easy to Coach the Warriors during their championship run. If the Kings do not defend well enough and score more than the opposing team-then we lose.
Let Luke have his second year here and then decide what's next...we're not going to be a playoff team regardless of who else could coach the team this year,.
What really bothers me is the GM of OKC, Houston, and New Orleans have stacked picks up for their re-build already. Rather, our Kings approach, seems to be more of the same...slow trickling death-even though this is the perfect time to hit the complete re-build-as we can have no fans. Wake up GM. As it was said in Shawshank redemption "Get busy living, or get busy dying."- a warning to us all btw.

Last edited:
Geez, another fire the coach thread. As if that will make any difference. Reminds me as to when the owner fired Malone and named Tyrone Corbin as the head coach. How did that work out?
Bottom line here-it is the players and lack of talent thereof. It was easy to Coach the Warriors during their championship run. If the Kings do not defend or make more buckets than the opposing team-then we lose.
Let Luke have his second year here and then decide what's next...we're not going to be a playoff teams regardless of who would coach the team this year,.
What really bothers me is the GM of OKC, Houston, and New Orleans have stacked picks up for their re-build already. Rather, our Kings approach, seems to be more of the same...slow trickling death-even though this is the perfect time to hit the complete re-build-as we can have no fans. Wake up GM. As it was said in Shawshank redemption "Get busy living, or get busy dying."- a warning to us all btw.
Walton isn't the problem since the Kings don't have the talent anyway but the fans just want to see a coach get everything out of the squad. We know this team isn't a playoff team but it certainly isn't the worst defending team in history either.

I completely agree with the last paragraph there but those teams had Westbrook, PG13, Harden, Paul, AD etc which allowed them to get a bunch of first rounders. The Kings should have been acquiring picks for a while now but they wouldn't be sitting as pretty as those teams since they never drafted enough talent to trade away anyway.

Bottom line here-it is the players and lack of talent thereof. It was easy to Coach the Warriors during their championship run. If the Kings do not defend or make more buckets than the opposing team-then we lose.
Let Luke have his second year here and then decide what's next...we're not going to be a playoff teams regardless of who would coach the team this year,.
The purpose this year was to see what the kings have in their young players specifically bagley. This man luke walton is trying his hardest to bring this team to 30 wins.

The 10th-15th pick in next years draft along with not giving bagley his best chance to learn by being on the court is a waste of a year in all phases.

Force his hand or Get luke out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.