Fire Walton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would McNair sign Whiteside then tell his coach not to play him?
because if the team was playing well Whiteside might help them reach the play-offs and if they were playing poorly keep them from a top pick. It’s called a contingency plan, something he should have had for the Bogi free agency.

To be honest, it's hard to see how his record is even .400 without those because the Laker team he inherited was awful. But he went 39-4 while there which is over .900 :eek:
Lebron and one of the best teams ever. He should be easily over .500. He sucks lol. Team is never prepared

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
because if the team was playing well Whiteside might help them reach the play-offs and if they were playing poorly keep them from a top pick. It’s called a contingency plan, something he should have had for the Bogi free agency.
I'm no fanboy of McNair, but this is basically the 8 AM bacon, sausage, eggs, toast, strawberry jam, waffles, syrup and a brutal pick-6 you never saw coming of Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Giving up 100pts in just 3 quarters for these many consecutive games now is right on Vivek yellow brick road of just playing 4 vs 5 on defense. Or make it 3 vs 5 on defense with Bagley camping under our goal and Buddy right on the 3 pt line. Vivek has some kind of hacker mentality. He just want to hack to rules of the NBA now. LOL

Anyway Luke better start running triple screens by 2nd half of the game if he wants to keep shooting from outside because his drive and kick are getting old this early of the season. Kings outscoring teams in the first half but running same plays by the 2nd. That's one way they got pinned down once the second half starts.

Gentry should have those plays in his books. But not sure if Gentry is just waiting till he's turn as HC comes. This is probably the closest he gets to that Suns 2008 he used to run competitively. So a good chance for redemption is right around the chair Luke is sitting on right now.

Yeah, Luke sucks.

But our awful defense has to be attributed to the players, at least somewhat. I mean, players gotta take pride in putting in defensive effort. Luke is certainly awful, but the inability to guard a paper bag is on individual players too.

I'm no fanboy of McNair, but this is basically the 8 AM bacon, sausage, eggs, toast, strawberry jam, waffles, syrup and a brutal pick-6 you never saw coming of Monday Morning Quarterbacking.
Fine what is your reasoning why Walton isn’t playing him? I’m not Monday morning quarterbacking just providing possible context.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
have you considered he is being told to limit Whiteside who isn’t tradable and isn’t a piece for the future? Not sure why McNair is getting off scot-free.
No, I haven't considered it.. Logically, why would McNair sign Whiteside to a contract with the idea of not playing him? Is he also telling Walton to play Joseph a lot of minutes? I think McNair can safely leave Walton's self destruction up to Walton!

No, I haven't considered it.. Logically, why would McNair sign Whiteside to a contract with the idea of not playing him? Is he also telling Walton to play Joseph a lot of minutes? I think McNair can safely leave Walton's self destruction up to Walton!
I would guess with the Kings looking unlikely to make the play-offs, Kings are playing their young guys who need to grow and those who may be tradeable.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Fine what is your reasoning why Walton isn’t playing him? I’m not Monday morning quarterbacking just providing possible context.
I don't think it's up to the Capt to make sense of Walton's decisions. That's something you need to ask Walton. Neither the Capt or myself are mind readers. I only care about results. I have no idea why General Custer decided to attack 3000 indians with 400 men, but somehow, he probably convinced himself it was a good idea at the time. Why Walton decides to do what he does is unimportant, however, the results are important. McNair didn't hire him, and it's just a matter of when, not if, he's fired.

In the short term, it makes sense to ride him out for this season until McNair can make some changes. After which he can bring in his own choice for the position. The worry of course is will any long term damage be done in the short term. How long will Vivek be able to hold it together?

I don't think it's up to the Capt to make sense of Walton's decisions. That's something you need to ask Walton. Neither the Capt or myself are mind readers. I only care about results. I have no idea why General Custer decided to attack 3000 indians with 400 men, but somehow, he probably convinced himself it was a good idea at the time. Why Walton decides to do what he does is unimportant, however, the results are important. McNair didn't hire him, and it's just a matter of when, not if, he's fired.

In the short term, it makes sense to ride him out for this season until McNair can make some changes. After which he can bring in his own choice for the position. The worry of course is will any long term damage be done in the short term. How long will Vivek be able to hold it together?
you make it sound like Walton is the general. Last I checked Walton works for McNair not the other way around.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I would guess with the Kings looking unlikely to make the play-offs, Kings are playing their young guys who need to grow and those who may be tradeable.
I think that you and I, and I'm fairly sure both McNair and Vivek know this team is very unlikely to make the playoff's. You know your going to be in the lottery. So the question is, how do you approach the season with that knowledge? With a good group of players coming in the next draft, you want to get the best player you can, hopefully a future star. So you need to lose a lot of games. At the same time, you want to see improvement and growth out of your future core players. You want to start building a winning mentality. That's a very fine line to walk.

And, your trying to do all this with a head coach that's desperate to reverse his fortune. Desperate men make bad decisions. I think I can safely say that Walton cares more about his own future than the future of Whiteside, or any other player on the team and I would be shocked if otherwise. Personally, I would have fired Walton along with Vlade, but that was a Vivek decision, and probably a financial one. Needless to say, McNair has his work cut out for him.

We as fans have little to go on when it comes to the inner workings of McNair's mind. So it should be an interesting ride. So far, like Petrie, he appears to keep everything close to the vest.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
you make it sound like Walton is the general. Last I checked Walton works for McNair not the other way around.
Walton is the coach, and the coach decides who plays and how many minutes a player plays. So yes, he's the general on the field, just like Custer was. And while Custer answered to the president of the United States, the president never got involved in tactical decisions on the field. McNair isn't telling Walton how to coach the team, but he is sitting in judgement on how Walton coaches the team. I think the last thing McNair would want, would be for anyone to think he's in anyway responsible for any of the coaching decisions that have been made.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Geez, another fire the coach thread. As if that will make any difference. Reminds me as to when the owner fired Malone and named Tyrone Corbin as the head coach. How did that work out?
Bottom line here-it is the players and lack of talent thereof. It was easy to Coach the Warriors during their championship run. If the Kings do not defend well enough and score more than the opposing team-then we lose.
Let Luke have his second year here and then decide what's next...we're not going to be a playoff team regardless of who else could coach the team this year,.
What really bothers me is the GM of OKC, Houston, and New Orleans have stacked picks up for their re-build already. Rather, our Kings approach, seems to be more of the same...slow trickling death-even though this is the perfect time to hit the complete re-build-as we can have no fans. Wake up GM. As it was said in Shawshank redemption "Get busy living, or get busy dying."- a warning to us all btw.
All three of those teams had a superstar to dangle in order to acquire those future picks. Who exactly on the Kings roster would get that kind of return? How long has McNair been running the team? He's barely had enough time to put together his staff much less make a bunch of great trades to entirely rebuild the team. I've seen impatience before, but your statement is ridiculous. How about we give McNair a little more than five minutes to figure out what he wants to do.

With the way the Kings have looked defensively, comparing Walton to Custer is apt.

Yeah, Luke sucks.

But our awful defense has to be attributed to the players, at least somewhat. I mean, players gotta take pride in putting in defensive effort. Luke is certainly awful, but the inability to guard a paper bag is on individual players too.
Players are players, when they are done with a coach they are done. They either have to start going all out for themselves or nothing. These are the issues with front office changes and holdover coaches. When it starts heading downhill the players will be off and on with effort. It goes from game to game to then moment to moment. It's a broken record since the glory days in Sac. It is what it is. Denying it is pointless if you're in a position to make change and the NBA is all about change.

I think that you and I, and I'm fairly sure both McNair and Vivek know this team is very unlikely to make the playoff's. You know your going to be in the lottery. So the question is, how do you approach the season with that knowledge? With a good group of players coming in the next draft, you want to get the best player you can, hopefully a future star. So you need to lose a lot of games. At the same time, you want to see improvement and growth out of your future core players. You want to start building a winning mentality. That's a very fine line to walk.

And, your trying to do all this with a head coach that's desperate to reverse his fortune. Desperate men make bad decisions. I think I can safely say that Walton cares more about his own future than the future of Whiteside, or any other player on the team and I would be shocked if otherwise. Personally, I would have fired Walton along with Vlade, but that was a Vivek decision, and probably a financial one. Needless to say, McNair has his work cut out for him.

We as fans have little to go on when it comes to the inner workings of McNair's mind. So it should be an interesting ride. So far, like Petrie, he appears to keep everything close to the vest.
So far I've liked what we've seen, the concern is how much power does he have and is political BS going to sink this team under Viveks watch yet again.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If Walton really was worried about ticking off a vet be playing a rookie as can be the case many times with coaches, then he’s had every opportunity now, after the team has been blown multiple times, to give Woodard some burn. Historically bad defense, a Known defensive 3/4 on the bench in Woodard. And we all know about Whiteside.

Very bizarre season yet again. It’s not too late to salvage this thing if they’d just fire the guy now instead of waiting.

I’ll never understand why we continue to hire new GMs whilst keeping the previous coach and regime. What the hell is the point? That defeats the purpose for me.

Geez, another fire the coach thread. As if that will make any difference. Reminds me as to when the owner fired Malone and named Tyrone Corbin as the head coach. How did that work out?
It's always fun to see someone using the "it didn't work before so why try now?" argument when comparing chess and reversi like the pieces are the same.

Very bizarre season yet again. It’s not too late to salvage this thing if they’d just fire the guy now instead of waiting.

I’ll never understand why we continue to hire new GMs whilst keeping the previous coach and regime. What the hell is the point? That defeats the purpose for me.
Money. Coaches contracts are guaranteed like players. Firing Walton costs more than 3-4mm a year he gets, it costs double, or more, assuming we get a more decorated and coveted coach.

It's always fun to see someone using the "it didn't work before so why try now?" argument when comparing chess and reversi like the pieces are the same.
Especially when this situation is perfectly mirroring George Karl sticking when Vlade took over. That dumpster fire was so catastrophic it not only ended up with firing the coach but trading the teams franchise player anyway. This is in no way similar to the Malone/PDA situation. The only similarity is that Vivek creates about the worst possible FO environment basketball has seen. And we're talking in comparison to some of those Knicks years.

All three of those teams had a superstar to dangle in order to acquire those future picks. Who exactly on the Kings roster would get that kind of return? How long has McNair been running the team? He's barely had enough time to put together his staff much less make a bunch of great trades to entirely rebuild the team. I've seen impatience before, but your statement is ridiculous. How about we give McNair a little more than five minutes to figure out what he wants to do.
Superstars like Jrue Holiday?

Superstars like Jrue Holiday?
I didn't say this was an easy job.
How about... 1. Be willing to trade any player-especially highly paid players or any player not named Fox, for draft choices or high ceiling young guys. 2. Get way under the salary cap. 3. take on other team's bad contracts combined with draft choices. 4. draft assets are your priority.

Coaches number 1 goal is to win games anyway they can. I suspect the Kings wanted to see if the speedy pace could make them a playoff team.

Why is Whiteside not playing. Have no doubt that the Coach would be playing Whiteside, if it would help the Kings win. Could it be Whiteside in not a up-tempo offense player. You have to wonder why he on an NBA minimum veteran contract playing on our second team.

Last edited:
Pels commentator made me remember that the last month the Kings was in the playoffs was also my last month before I moved and lived overseas. That was May 2006. So never in my 15 years now of leaving overseas did I saw the Kings at post season. Maybe I was the jinx and not Luke. LOL

And freakin COVID just blocked my plan to retire back home last year. Maybe the Kings made it back to playoff had I settled back home last year. :eek:

But then again, I won't be mad if Luke gets the boot this early.

Status
Not open for further replies.