Family Pets

Daniela said:
Here is the puppy we are getting from Italy in 3-6 weeks. Her name will be Lyric.
She is a Bernese Mountain Dog. I will scan pics of our other dog Duke and cats Bella and Duncan when I can. Isn't she the cutest thing?
She is so cute! She's going to be a big doggie when she grows up!:D

/\ Yes, she is. We are hoping she has more of a stalky body, but we shall see. Her sister in the same litter is stalky and so cute, but her coloring is off and would make it hard to show her. We are going to have our hands full that is for sure. But I have always loved animals and the husband bread and trained Beagles in Michigan, so hopefully it won't be too bad. I couldn't ask for a better dog than Duke, so she should turn out just fine. I may have to convince the hubby we need a bigger house.

RoyalDiva said:
What a darling little furball! I've never heard of that breed. Will she grow up to be large?
Bernese Mountain Dogs are considered a large breed. The females, as always are a little smaller and if you are lucky you get a nice stalky one with strong hips.

These dogs have just started to become more popular in the last 5 years or so, much to our chagrin. When a breed becomes popular people start to inbreed and over breed and the quality of dogs declines. But anyway.......

There is also the Greater Swiss which is the same exact markings and coloring, but short short hair and a little smaller build.

The Bernese our wonderful, loving dogs. Great family pet.

Daniela said:
/\ Kitties are sooo cute. I love kitties. They are the best. They are just so smushy.
Lmao. I have to break down my wall of masculinity and admit that was cute.

Every cat or dog my parents and I have ever owned were rescues or the offspring of rescues. Well, every one except for one dog who we got from a family friend (bugger lived 16 years). How many pets of yours were ones that you didn't go out and buy?

The weirdest pet my family had was a cat named Bosley. He was a large brown and white cat, with big paws and head. He was born on the 4th of July in 1984 and died on Thanksgiving of 1993. The most alpha male cat I've ever seen. He wasn't afraid of people, used to stare the dog mentioned above off of it's own bed, fought all the time, bit the crap out of me when I picked it up during a fight, left home to roam for months at a time. Everytime we'd think he was dead, he'd show up like the cat from "Pet Semetary". One time my mother was thawing out a chicken on the counter and we found it on the floor with 4 little points of blood on the skin from where he bit into it. Once he dropped a dead mouse at my mother's feet as a gift, and looked up and meowed. Of course, everyone was horrified and I flung it over the fence with a dustpan. The last day of his life, I was out in my back yard playing basketball and he walks up and meows and he had a big weeping sore on his cheek, probably an infected battle wound. I distinctly remember reaching down to pet him and yanking my hand back when I noticed it. ;) The next morning he was lying stiff on the back porch. Old Bosley had a good life. Nine years is a long time for an outdoor cat. RIP Boz (1984-93).

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I have never gone out and bought a pet. Every pet (except one that was given to me) I have ever had and loved has been adopted. That means I "paid" a rescue organization.

bought?? none that i know of...they were either out of a litter of a previous cat that we had until she died or let's see...the current ones- Onyx(black cat)-stray that adopted us, did everything we could to find owner), Patches(calico)-my great aunt Geri's cat that we got when she died, Cymoril(saved her from being eaten by the dogs downstairs-long story).. We've also had dogs...i'll post them when I find them. All to my knowledge-adopted, saved, or hand me down pets. :) and when it comes time to get a new dog or cat the shelter is the First place I go.

6th said:
I have never gone out and bought a pet. Every pet (except one that was given to me) I have ever had and loved has been adopted. That means I "paid" a rescue organization.
Me too 6th. The latest addition is a cat that was abandoned on the streets for 5-6 years and would not go to anyone. SHE decided to adopt us and is the absolute best cat. She's a magical kitty....and is afraid of NO ONE.

Hey Manhattan, Do You Like the Lakers?

This is a pic of one of my very best friends in the Universe... Manhattan!

She's actually a very sweet two year old Kitty, but I just love this pic - It was the first time she ever saw a dog. If you look into her eyes, you can see two little spots in each one, (Those are Ruca's (the dog) eyes reflecting back). Haha!

http://geocities.com/incurees/

6th said:
It always good to get a pet either through the SPCA or animal shelters. When I got Brady, I got him through a rescue organization who actually rescued Brady at a puppy mill.

i hope these links work!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=79011599706&photoid=72167969906

this is benji, but he's about 3 times as fat now, he has a HUGE pot belly!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=79011599706&photoid=92167969906&&refreshkey=1115016060200 this is nova, but i call her novina all the time :)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=79011599706&photoid=23167969906&&refreshkey=1115016060200

the 3 wise kitties, benji on top, fluffy is in the middle ( this was the best pic i could find of fluffy from my digital camera) and nova at the bottom. fluffy is my rally kitty!!!

i don't live with any of them anymore, haven't since september! benji lives up in oregon!!!! so far! nova and fluffy live closer by, still in my hometown but i've only seen them a few times :(

This is the late great, Peanuts Alfalfa Squeaks aka Pee Pee Doll aka Lee..aka Ooties, Fee'r, Fier, ect..he had a lot of nicknames

On his first birthday standing proud

He also loved to play hide and seek. Can YOU find him?

i miss my baby! :(

I love hamsters. Yours was soo cute. The kitties above are adorable as well.

As a kid, we had 2 hamsters. We got the first one a couple days after mom and dad took us to the King Tut Exhibit in San Fran, so we named him Tut. He died rather quickly and we got another one and named him Tut 2. After he died quickly as well, we decided to stick with kitties and dogs. But I loved them both very much.

Attached are new pics at 6 weeks old of the puppies. We now have come to find out that we will either get #3 or #4. The breeder is going to keep one, so we are not sure which one is ours yet. I am being told that #3 is a little devil, so I personally want the calm cool stylings of #4. Tell me what you think.
Girl #3 are the first 3 pics and #4 are the last 2. Soooo???

Attachments

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Daniela - I had no idea how absolutely adorable those dogs could be. Interestingly enough, I actually met someone this weekend whose best friend, Bella, about two years old, was sitting in the front seat next to him. She's gorgeous and she looks almost exactly like #3. And she grins, too!

#3 gets my vote.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a guinea pig not a hamster(24_7)? I think all our little critters are adorable and Daniela personally I like #4.

loopymitch said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a guinea pig not a hamster(24_7)? I think all our little critters are adorable and Daniela personally I like #4.
Yup your right, he is a guinea pig.

and Daniela, they are both so cute but I like #3 :)

IMADOUGAHOLIC-Sorry!! You had a lovely Guinea Pig. I never had one but I am sure I would've loved them as much as my hamsters. I love the pic. with the stuffed animals.

Thank you all for your feed back regarding the pups. They are both sooo cute. #3 has been labeled "piccolo diavola" meaning, little devil. I am not sure if I have the energy for a little devil. #4 just looks soulful to me. I am already in love with all of them. There were 6 total in the litter. 2 boys and 4 girls. I wish I could take them all.

VF21, how funny that you just met someone with a Berner. And what is even stranger is that Bella is the name of my calico kitty. I am still trying to upload the pics from my camera to the computer so I can post them.

Daniela said:
Here she is. We ended up choosing #4 and we named her Lyric. Her full name is Aria Lirica della Torre d'Ovarde. She is arriving on May 20th and I can't wait. Isnt' she a smush??

what a cutie....how big do they get?

Daniela said:
I love hamsters. Yours was soo cute. The kitties above are adorable as well.

As a kid, we had 2 hamsters. We got the first one a couple days after mom and dad took us to the King Tut Exhibit in San Fran, so we named him Tut. He died rather quickly and we got another one and named him Tut 2. After he died quickly as well, we decided to stick with kitties and dogs. But I loved them both very much.

Attached are new pics at 6 weeks old of the puppies. We now have come to find out that we will either get #3 or #4. The breeder is going to keep one, so we are not sure which one is ours yet. I am being told that #3 is a little devil, so I personally want the calm cool stylings of #4. Tell me what you think.
Girl #3 are the first 3 pics and #4 are the last 2. Soooo???
lol....I just had a funny moment.....I was reading ur post and I read up to the part where you said we had 2 hamsters.....anyway, as I scrolled down I saw the pictures and I didn't read the rest of ur post and when I saw the pics I was like wow! those r some big hamsters!!!!!!..lol...anyway I read the rest of the post and realized that they were puppies...lol..anyway, I thought it was funny :)

kingsgurl87 said:
lol....I just had a funny moment.....I was reading ur post and I read up to the part where you said we had 2 hamsters.....anyway, as I scrolled down I saw the pictures and I didn't read the rest of ur post and when I saw the pics I was like wow! those r some big hamsters!!!!!!..lol...anyway I read the rest of the post and realized that they were puppies...lol..anyway, I thought it was funny :)
You just made my day. I almost spit my coffee on the monitor I laughed so hard. I am still laughing as I type this. Thank you for helping me along my Friday (took tomorrow off as a vacation day-taking a long weekend).

bballagrl24 said:
what a cutie....how big do they get?

She will be about 90-100 llbs. The boys get anywhere from 95-110 llbs. They are consisdered a large breed of course. But they are also the most loving, smushy, fun dogs. I can't wait. Next Friday!!!!