Evans versus Rubio

Who is going to be better?

• Total voters
Everyone that prefers Rubio to Evans is guilty of being to easily persuaded by hype. On draft day I was crossing my fingers hoping the Kings didnt pick a SOFT EURO player to lead the team. Rubio is going to have major problems defensively. Rubio also isnt known as a scorer. So why on a 17 win team would you want to pick a guy who is good at passing the ball as opposed to a guy that can score? If anything Evans is a versatile point guard who will harrass opposing points in the league with his height and length.
maybe because some of those losses could be due to turnovers based on poor passing skills or decisions? we were one of the worse teams based on turnovers and assists yet somewhere in the middle of the pack in points per game.

Hedo missed 2 free throws in a row and something like 5 out of his last 6 free throws which cost his team the game in an NBA finals series. On the biggest stage in his sport instead of stepping his game up, he stepped down.
Kirilenko is Russian. Russia is located on the continent of asia.
Biedrins still hasnt done anything worth mentioning, nor has Rudy Fernandez or Gortat or Bellinelli. Gortat im somewhat partial to. Bellinelli seems to fit the stereotype almost perfectly.
This is the last ill speak on the subject of you know what as not to drag the thread off topic.
Geographically speaking, Europe and Asia are one continent.

Why don't you just admit it was baseless slander? You obviously have no clear definition for the term "soft" or the term "euro." It's just some one-lner people like to throw out there to discredit a player based on superficial reasons.

^ We were an ok scoring team because of our scheme. I think Rubio could compliment a team loaded with scoring talent. Scoring talent isnt something the current team possesses. So id rather take a player who has scoring ability. The problem of turnovers will be resolved with maturity. Anyhow, whos to say Evans isnt a good passer himself? The idea that Rubio is such a great passer and that Evans isnt I think is pretty lopsided.

Geographically speaking, Europe and Asia are one continent.

Why don't you just admit it was baseless slander? You obviously have no clear definition for the term "soft" or the term "euro." It's just some one-lner people like to throw out there to discredit a player based on superficial reasons.
Pretty sure there are 7 continents and Europe and Asia are not the same. Yao is from Asia and I wouldn't call him a Euro, so why would I consider AK47 a Euro player when he is also from Asia?

To me "Euro" means someone born in the continent of Europe.

Don't delete my posts which say nothing jerk like, inflammatory or trollish and leave in Chupacabra's ignorant posts.

I'm posting this in thread, because it's ridiculous. If you don't want the euro debate then deal with the poster who is making poor accusations.

Hedo missed 2 free throws in a row and something like 5 out of his last 6 free throws which cost his team the game in an NBA finals series. On the biggest stage in his sport instead of stepping his game up, he stepped down.
Biedrins still hasnt done anything worth mentioning, nor has Rudy Fernandez or Gortat or Bellinelli. Gortat im somewhat partial to. Bellinelli seems to fit the stereotype almost perfectly.
This is the last ill speak on the subject of you know what as not to drag the thread off topic.
Ok, Hedo is not soft, he took on the other team's best player in many circumstances and hit a ton of clutch shots. One bad stretch of FTs doesn't make him soft. Or else I guess Shaq and Dwight Howard were soft too. They missed a lot of important FTs. Didn't Kobe miss over half his FTs in the Lakers one loss, Kobe's another real soft player.

Kirilenko you are correct about. My bad.

As for the others, no one was arguing about how talented the other players are or if they had won championships. Only if they were "soft." Biedrens plays physical D, blocks shots, dunks on people and is anything but soft. Ditto with Rudy, he is scrappy. Gortat you conceded. Bellinelli is tougher than you think. Nellie often used him to guard the other team
s best wing player as he was scrappier and a better defender than most of their other wings. He's no Artest, but he's not "soft."

If you have a different definition of soft, I'm listening, but from my POV is connotes a player who is afraid of contact and who doesn't play physical, scrappy or defensively doesn't fight and get up in his man's face.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've been trying to be more than fair about this whole stupid stereotyping thing. Here's the deal: Regardless of what posts - and there were a number of them - were deleted or regardless of what posts were left - and some were left simply because the whole stupid thing was giving me a major headache - the bottom line should be clear to one and all.

This isn't gonna turn into one of those ridiculous arguments where thinly veiled prejudices against certain players - whether they're European, Asian, or Martian - are posted in the guise of debate. It's not gonna happen. Period.

I'm gonna reopen the thread and those of you who want to continue to debate the relative strengths and weaknesses of Evans and Rubio are welcome to do so. If your post is an attempt to further the stereotypical stuff, it's going to be deleted. I hope that clarifies the situation.

I would rather have a player that plays against 1st tier competition than 2nd tier competition. Tyreke is used to playing against freak atheletes, Rubio is not. Tyreke is also much more physically ready than Rubio. The only Aspect of Rubio's game that could be seen as superior to that of Tyreke's is passing, which Evans is no slouch at.

Vlade4GM, Rubio being 6'5 and a good passer will make him a good distributing point guard, no doubt. The fact that he only weighs 170-180 lbs though means hes not going to be strong enough to take contact. So if he isnt quick enough to go by the better guards in the NBA and isnt strong enough to create contact, then what type of offensive game is he going to have? You can also flip those two lacking physical aspects around and question his defense as well. If i were a betting man id bet that when Rubio stops ducking NBA competition in Spain he'll be ranked among the bottom half of point guards in the NBA.
Actually he ranges more around 180-190 by most sources I've seen. He definitely lacks strength and is slight of build, that is a concern for him, I'm not going to argue that. I think that with the better spacing and more favorable officiating in the NBA, it'll help him get into the lane more. His crafty ball handling and change of pace will help him work his way into the lane, although he should have problems with facing the tougher defenders. Once he learns to use his body to protect the ball like Nash does, that should go a long way in helping his finishing ability. There is no doubt that the top things he needs to work on is his pull-up jumper and his strength, but he's still only 18+ years old, so I don't think it's too hard to imagine him being able to improve his strength, even though he'll probably never be Kidd strong.

^ We were an ok scoring team because of our scheme. I think Rubio could compliment a team loaded with scoring talent. Scoring talent isnt something the current team possesses. So id rather take a player who has scoring ability. The problem of turnovers will be resolved with maturity. Anyhow, whos to say Evans isnt a good passer himself? The idea that Rubio is such a great passer and that Evans isnt I think is pretty lopsided.
i was just responding to what you said. you are the one who labeled rubio the good passer and evans the scorer. i never said that evans cant become a good passer. im just stating the reason why this "17 win team would chose a good passer" would be because we had poor TO and assists per game. we have a good scorers on this team and a good passer could set them up.

I would rather have a player that plays against 1st tier competition than 2nd tier competition. Tyreke is used to playing against freak atheletes, Rubio is not. Tyreke is also much more physically ready than Rubio. The only Aspect of Rubio's game that could be seen as superior to that of Tyreke's is passing, which Evans is no slouch at.
Rubio has been playing in the Euroleague for 3 seasons now, and he's been playing in the ACB for 4 seasons. I really don't understand how college is better than these leagues, they have a lot of former top college players that play there, plenty of former NBA players, and legit NBA prospects. The Euroleague has the best talent in the world that is not in the NBA. Also, the ACB is considered the top professional league in the world outside of the NBA and Euroleague.

Last edited:
While I have been highly critical of his trades, I do think Geoff is a good judge of talent. He is so high on this guy, I have to think he is going to be something special.

1/3 of Russia is in Europe. AK47 is from the European part (as are most russians).

For years, NBA has been loading up on soft shooters from Europe, so I can't really contest the statement that European jump-shooters in NBA are predominantly soft. But that does not mean that all European players are soft. In fact, Europeans somewhat pioneered the concept of stopper (we called it killer or cooler) in basketball in the 80-s when Italians started beating up on the rest of the continent with players in the mold of Bruce Bowen (karate chops and all). Stopper as in a hard-*** whose only discernible talent is getting under people's skin by being borderline criminally violent.