Evaluating the Cousins Trade.

So James Ham mentioned on twitter that Joerger talked about Ben and Afflalo playing the 4...
With the Pelicans lacking in shooting guards, why did the Kings end up with all the guards, and gave up their only 3? Is that really the best combination they could come up with?

Honestly when you're tanking it doesn't really matter, but you figure they would at least pretend to care about roster construction.
because vlade is our gm

This is pissing me off man according to suns boards there offer was Knight/warren/Len and 2017 unprotected 1st and 1 or both heat picks. How ****ing dumb is Vlade/Vivek?
We could easily have made it

Knight/warren/Bender and 2017 1st.

We would have gone into next year with 2 top 10 picks and two pretty good young players (warren/bender)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Man just think if we had them both.

You'd never see an empty seat in the arena, championship aspirations....

But we got

Clearly Vlade should have tried offering the Pelicans Malachi, Rudy, a 2nd, and the first unencumbered 1st the Kings have for Davis, because that's the going price for franchise bigs these days, and doubtless they would have said yes.

A
We don't have to "prove it," because it came straight from the horse's ass mouth. Divac said so himself, in his press conference; he had a better deal two days ago.
A deal that fell thru ? Sure those happen all the time in the NBA. Deals rumored or even negotiated fall thru all the time for one reason or another.

Hey the good news is we have the #6, #13, #22 an #28 picks from what was considered a weak draft. So we got that going for us.

And if you go off draftexpress we had the #5, #15, #17 and #22 picks from that draft. Other sites even have those players RANKED HIGHER!

Bricklayer

Hey the good news is we have the #6, #13, #22 an #28 picks from what was considered a weak draft. So we got that going for us.

And if you go off draftexpress we had the #5, #15, #17 and #22 picks from that draft. Other sites even have those players RANKED HIGHER!
Basically a slow motion recreation of the Kings 1990 We got 4 draft pickses!!! boondoggle. Think those 4 were #7, #14, #18 #23? Something like that, and netted Lionel Simmons, Travis Mayes, Anthony Bonner, and Duane Causewell, to kick the 1990s Kings off in fine style.

Basically a slow motion recreation of the Kings 1990 We got 4 draft pickses!!! boondoggle. Think those 4 were #7, #14, #18 #23? Something like that, and netted Lionel Simmons, Travis Mayes, Anthony Bonner, and Duane Causewell, to kick the 1990s Kings off in fine style.
You know its interesting that Mitch could only will us into the playoffs once, and people seem to remember his "lack of support".

But Cousins with even less never made the playoffs.

It's hard to get equal value for a guy the caliber of Cousins. Many such trades have resulted in the recipient getting pennies on the dollar. Kareem to Lakers, Wilt to Lakers, Shaq to Miami, Barkley to Phoenix, Gasol to Lakers, Parish and 4th to Celtics, Webber to Bullets. Chris Paul to Clipps was a weak return, even. You could go on and on. Houston was about to join that list in 92 when Hakeem was feuding with the owner. I'm not saying it serves as any kind of solace for the fanbase that got d'cked, but teams chronically hold on for too long and then wind up getting dunked at zero hour. I think the GM/owner who knows to cut losses in a shrewd manner against fan anger and manages to get a decent haul in return are mythical creatures. Unicorns. They're too terrified to trade too soon even on the scale of DAYS, much less months and years.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
A

A deal that fell thru ? Sure those happen all the time in the NBA. Deals rumored or even negotiated fall thru all the time for one reason or another.
What difference does it make whether or why the deal didn't go through? The point is that Divac refuted, with his own mouth, your claim that he didn't have any.

This is pissing me off man according to suns boards there offer was Knight/warren/Len and 2017 unprotected 1st and 1 or both heat picks. How ****ing dumb is Vlade/Vivek?
We could easily have made it

Knight/warren/Bender and 2017 1st.

We would have gone into next year with 2 top 10 picks and two pretty good young players (warren/bender)
In vlades defense he prob didn't even get that offers since he wasn't taking/calling back gms. I read his better offer was actually from the pelicans and the changed their 2019 1st to the 2017 2nd. lol I bet he only dealt with NO since he was there and didn't want to bother with any phone calls.

Seeing players being got on the cheap, like Noel, makes me think that the Kings could have ugpraded their roster with Cousins still on the roster. However, there was a sense they had to trade Cuz from a group of people within and they finally tricked the idiot owner into it.

The Kings have a FO that is a Go Fish player at a poker table and an ownership head who wishes he owned a different team.

I don't see a positive angle on this trade. We go from a bunch of role players and a star to just a bunch of role players. Not only that, but we have control over 1 of our next 3 first round draft choices. Now is the absolute worst time to start the "get draft picks and cap space rebuild". It looks to me like the Kings started a 5 year rebuild in the middle of year 4 of a 5 year rebuild.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Per Sam Amick -

No deals for Kings. Had offers on Ben McLemore, Darren Collison and Arron Afflalo, but opting to wait until this summer to make more moves.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/834855387501191168

Smart! Glad our FO didn't panic and take a bad deal for one of our players at the deadline. Oh wait.....
Hrmm...

Vlade Divac - :: trades DeMarcus Cousins, claims that character was a factor ::

Mr. Slim Citrus - :: checks Kings roster post-trade deadline, sees that Darren Collison and Ty Lawson are still on it ::

Hrmm...

Vlade Divac - :: trades DeMarcus Cousins, claims that character was a factor ::

Mr. Slim Citrus - :: checks Kings roster post-trade deadline, sees that Darren Collison and Ty Lawson are still on it ::

By character I think he's talking about basketball character. Hard working, coachable gym rat types that would fit in San Antonio. I believe that's what he's going for here.

Grant hits twitter every day on a mission to set fire to Boogie's reputation. When people point out the terrible management and ownership he just says to find a new team to cheer for. The voice of the Kings, everybody.
Grant is many things, but he is not an idiot when it comes to valuing players. He knows full well that this trade was a disaster. He knows that we should've got a way bigger haul than we did and that, for all intent and purposes, Vlade and Vivek failed big time. But he is also nothing more than a talking head. Vivek or Vlade explaining the trade does nothing to quell fans anger. Having the voice of the Kings do it sways a few more peoples minds. Long story short, Vivek is telling Grant what to say. He's hoping that Grant defending the trade vehemently will convince people that trade isn't as bad as it seems.

Seriously though. You trade your all star, Olympic gold medalist for a SG who you think is going to be a star. Then you hesitate to trade 2 SG's on your roster who aren't working out.

They are going to let Ben walk when they could have gotten something. Anything. If they try to re-sign Ben in the summer, I'm going to flip out.....Again...

Good luck Joerger.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
By character I think he's talking about basketball character. Hard working, coachable gym rat types that would fit in San Antonio. I believe that's what he's going for here.
That interpretation strikes me as totally specious. I mean, it sounds like a reasonable way to look at his comments, but I don't see any reason why I should believe that it's true?

Bricklayer

Grant is many things, but he is not an idiot when it comes to valuing players. He knows full well that this trade was a disaster. He knows that we should've got a way bigger haul than we did and that, for all intent and purposes, Vlade and Vivek failed big time. But he is also nothing more than a talking head. Vivek or Vlade explaining the trade does nothing to quell fans anger. Having the voice of the Kings do it sways a few more peoples minds. Long story short, Vivek is telling Grant what to say. He's hoping that Grant defending the trade vehemently will convince people that trade isn't as bad as it seems.
Just as Grant defending the Maloofs vehemently convinced people they weren't trying to steal the team?

This used to work alot better in the past, Kings fans are just onto his BS now and its much harder to control the message with the internet/twitter etc.