Drexler to return?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6030911/

Ex-NBA All-Star lists Denver as team
he would play for if he makes a comeback
Ex-NBA All-Star Clyde Drexler reportedly said he would consider making a return to the NBA.
Updated: 5:09 p.m. ET Sept. 17, 2004

The Denver Nuggets might have a Hall-of-Fame guard in their future.

Clyde Drexler, inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame last weekend, said he would list the Nuggets as on of the team he would play for if he decides to return to the NBA, the Denver Post reported

"If someone with a chance to win a championship would call, I'd consider it," Drexler told the paper. "The Nuggets are certainly one of those teams. If you look at their young talent, they are phenomenal on paper. I know I could do it."
Drexler, 42, hasn't played since retiring from the Houston Rockets after the 1997-season. Still, the 6-foot-7 guard says he runs five miles a day and is certain he could be contributor off the bench. He doesn't expect to the be the player that averaged 20.4 ppg for his career, including 18.4 ppg during his last year in Houston.

But the 10-time All Star doesn't think he would star. He's taking a more realistic approach.

"The whole key is you can't be depended on to be a starter like Karl Malone was with the Lakers," Drexler told the paper. "You're going to have some injuries if you're playing big minutes. But if you can come in and do what Nuggets guard Earl Boykins does and provide a spark for six to eight minutes a half, you can do that on one leg."

Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe played with Drexler in Portland from 1984-88, and he seems intrigued by the idea. And Vandeweghe has a roster spot available at shooting guard and money under the salary cap to sign Drexler.

"You don't realize how unbelievable an athlete and mentally tough he is," Vandeweghe said. "If anyone can do it, he can do it."

Drexler, who runs roughly five miles daily, feels he can stay healthy and play effectively for 20 minutes off the bench.

The Nuggets have Voshon Lenard, who is their only veteran shooting guard under contract. And the team could soon sign swingman Greg Buckner. Still, Drexler appears serious about at least considering the possibility of lacing up basketball sneakers again.

"It would be fun because it's been so long, and it would be like the second part of my career," Drexler said.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That would be pathetic.

But a frequent problem with highly successful career athletes -- leave the game, can't find anything else to replace it in their lives, and then end up pondering a really dumb comeback. Few actually do it though. Just rumble about it.

Ryan

I like turtles
I don't understand this trend of making "combacks." A great player in his prime retired because he had nothing left. Why does he think he should come back. Wiser? Older?

NoBonus said:
So, you get in the Hall of Fame first, then return to the game to tarnish your career?? Good plan.
I want so bad to see a team formed of just old guys making comebacks. Jordan, Barkley, Drexler, Rodman, Sabonis, Olajuwon, heck, even Malone could join 'em, that would be awesome.
~~

BJax24 said:
since when do the nuggets have a chance to win a championship?:confused:
since they made the playoffs and got KM. It's not a HUGE chance, but it's a lot better odds than the Clippers :D

Depending on who they play, I think they can make it to the semi's but I doubt they'll make it past there this season.

LjuboDaMan said:
u guys r funny

how bout vlade at the center ;)
:D but he thinks that he has 2 more years left in him and the best part is lakers are paying some serious money for that. lol, its going to be fun to watch the lakers :)