Draft

With March Madness right now I thought we should start a thread on the draft for this year. If the season stopped right now we would have the 24th pick of the draft, we also don't have a second round pick (Darius Trade).
I think we should either look for a Swingman that can play SG & SF or a big man. The players that come to mind when I think of swingman in our reach are, Francisco Garcia- http://nbadraft.net/profiles/franciscogarcia.asp & Rudy Fernandez http://nbadraft.net/profiles/rudyfernandez.asp,

Both are excellent players with great passing skills and shooting skills, I really like what I have seen from Garcia in March Madness this year, He's averaging 24 pts a game and his team is still alive. From the looks of Fernandez scouting report he sounds like a solid all around player. I also wouldn't mind picking up Jarret Jack who is projected 25th overall but I'm sure his stock will go up in team workouts.

You can look at the mock draft at -----> www.nbadraft.net , & http://draftcity.com/mock.php?y=2005

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
PHP:
Dude they have Wayne Simien at #35!! I would take that guy with our #24. Be a good solid PF right from the get go. No way he goes that late though.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
OptimusRhyme said:
^ Ya theres no way Simien is going that high, he will probably be top 15, it would be nice to get him though...
That guy could answer a lot of questions about what we are going to do about the PF position. Dang! I hope he goes late!!!

Knowing Petrie, Simien could be available and he would draft a point guard. You never know what he's going to do. Whatever happens though at least our future isn't relying on who we draft, I'm am glad the Kings are controlled by the best GM in the business.

^ Ya who knows though, Petrie could surprise us and trade for a higher draft pick, you never know. All I know is this draft is pretty deep in players and either way we are going to a skilled player because of the depth.

We will not win a ring from this draft alone.

Yes I admit, although fun to predict future draft pics. With us currently being 24th and at this point in the season there is no way to know what other teams are thinking.

i think we should try to pick up salim staudimire, and convert him as a back up to bibby...or maybe hakim warrick if he hasnt been takin yet...which im doubting...

^EWWWW, I don't like Stoudimire at all, he has no point guard skills and he has a point guards body, Hes a headcase and shoots everything. If we were going to get a point guard, I would take Jack or Daniel Ewing over Stoudimire, they are more complete players.

Warrick is amazing though, it would be nice to see his athleticism on this team..

what?!?!..."hes a headcase and shoots up everythign!??!" do u realize his three point shooting is over 50% and he has hit just as many as jj. reddick?!

o ya
trust me is exactly wat we need
i live in kansas and ive been to alot of KU games
if we get him in the draft ill b very happy
SacTownKid said:
PHP:
Dude they have Wayne Simien at #35!! I would take that guy with our #24. Be a good solid PF right from the get go. No way he goes that late though.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

He's also a spot up shooter, and has no passing skills, if you think you could run a team with Stoudimire at point guard your crazy. Also the three point line is three feet closer to the basket then the NBA line, its a whole different story, I'd rather take a point guard who can defend, pass & shoot then one that can just shoot and only has a shoot mentality.

he can defend..a.nd he can pass...he is the second leader on his team in assists...and he defense is better than bibby's....and we have miller and darius...who both are good passers, as was webber, and when he was here we ran the offense totally fine through the PF and C positions...so if u think about it, it would...but we really dont need another shooter...im just sayin he woudlnt be a bad pick up if he was still available when our pick comes around

say what you will about Stoudemire, he is a very very good basketball player..whether his stock will pan out in the NBA is unforseeable, depending on what personel the team who drafts him has. this is because certain people are good with young guys who "have headcases" so...we wont know for a few years how good he can be. either way, he was/is an amazing college player (this coming from a semi-rival fellow pac-10 team fan of CAL). i dont like him in our system tho, and i dont think petrie will take him(altho i trust whomever petrie does take)

im really liking the idea of getting francisco garcia, but i doubt he will go that low either, especially with the tourney he is having. other than him, channing frye, nate robinson, daniel ewing, luther head, ronny turiaf, and jarret jack all look very good to me, especailly frye and robinson (another bjax?maybe im off base, but he seems like it to me)

10bibby10 said:
he can defend..a.nd he can pass...he is the second leader on his team in assists...and he defense is better than bibby's....and we have miller and darius...who both are good passers, as was webber, and when he was here we ran the offense totally fine through the PF and C positions...so if u think about it, it would...but we really dont need another shooter...im just sayin he woudlnt be a bad pick up if he was still available when our pick comes around
2 Ast a game, and having the ball in your hands everytime down the floor is not good, his defence is terrible for being a quick guard, he gets lazy and leaves his man just like Bibby, We don't a 6"1 SG that dosen't defend and pass, he is so one- dimentional its not even funny, once teams see that all he can do is shoot, it will be so hard for him to get his shot because he is a spot up shooter that can't really create his own shot because of his poor handles.

BobbyJ_for3! said:
say what you will about Stoudemire, he is a very very good basketball player..whether his stock will pan out in the NBA is unforseeable, depending on what personel the team who drafts him has. this is because certain people are good with young guys who "have headcases" so...we wont know for a few years how good he can be. either way, he was/is an amazing college player (this coming from a semi-rival fellow pac-10 team fan of CAL). i dont like him in our system tho, and i dont think petrie will take him(altho i trust whomever petrie does take)

im really liking the idea of getting francisco garcia, but i doubt he will go that low either, especially with the tourney he is having. other than him, channing frye, nate robinson, daniel ewing, luther head, ronny turiaf, and jarret jack all look very good to me, especailly frye and robinson (another bjax?maybe im off base, but he seems like it to me)
Yah Robinson's another point guard I like, hes small but he has so much energy, speed & athleticism that it makes up for it, he wouldn't be a bad pickup either.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It'd be nice to pick up a long SG who can pass. Rudy Fernandez, Francisco Garcia, and Darius Hodge would fit that description - with Hodge being the one we'll most likely have a shot at. All of them can potentially play three positions. Depends how many teams are looking for a SG, but Fernandez or Garcia could be lottery picks. It'd also be nice to pick up a tough big guy who can block shots, but the big guys with skills are always the first to go. It's not likely we'll get a PF/C with starter potential that low in the draft. A strong bench player maybe. The only position I'd stay away from is PG since we're pretty set there and the 6 foot guys aren't big enough to play any other positions.

^ Turiaf would be the big guy that your describing, he's 6"10, great shot blocker and rebounder, with good potential. But I really hope we can get Garcia somehow in this draft...

hrdboild said:
It'd be nice to pick up a long SG who can pass. Rudy Fernandez, Francisco Garcia, and Darius Hodge would fit that description - with Hodge being the one we'll most likely have a shot at. All of them can potentially play three positions. Depends how many teams are looking for a SG, but Fernandez or Garcia could be lottery picks. It'd also be nice to pick up a tough big guy who can block shots, but the big guys with skills are always the first to go. It's not likely we'll get a PF/C with starter potential that low in the draft. A strong bench player maybe. The only position I'd stay away from is PG since we're pretty set there and the 6 foot guys aren't big enough to play any other positions.
I'm assuming you mean Julius Hodge from NC State. I think we do need a "long SG" who can play some D rather than another shooter. Garcia would be an amazing pickup for us.

As far as all the knocks on Salim, he makes JJ Reddick look like Shaq as far as shooting ability. He takes tougher shots than JJ and can hit the clutch shot (did anyone watch the UofA/OK State game) and CAN play defense. As far as the 3pt line being "three feet farther back," all of Salim's 3's are from like 24 feet anyway. I do go to UofA, so I admit I may be biased in my opinion, but stop knocking Salim. However, I don't feel that he would be a good pickup for the Kings because he is more of a SG in a PG body, a la BJAX. However, he will be a good pick for another team in need of a backup combo guard who can hit the outside shot.

^ I'm not knocking him I'm just stating his weaknesses and they are all truthful, the fact is hes a shooter and thats all he is, he's NOT a defender, hes not a passer and hes not a point guard, you can't make him out to be something hes not, how can you just say "he takes tougher shots the Reddick"? What measures a "tougher shot", your opinion? No...

You're correct; Salim is not a point guard, but rather a combo guard who can fill in at the point during certain stretches. I beg to differ with you when it comes to his defense. He is no Bobby Jackson, don't get me wrong, but he as proven his senior year that he can more than hold his own against oposing guards. The fact of the matter is that he is used so much on offense that the team cannot afford for him to play all-out defense the entire game. you may call that a cop-out, but it's college basketball. In the NBA where he will obviously not be the top option no matter who is on the court, he can become a nice backup combo guard with his shooting ability, defensive capability, and athleticism.

As far as the "tougher shots" go, what I meant was that Salim is not just a spot up shooter who shoots 56% from 3. He can create his own shot from 3, midrange, and can take it all the way to the rack. He has that midrange game that is not found in every nba player and he will need that game in the pros in order to survive the giants in the paint.

Remember, I'm not saying that he's gonna be an allstar or anything, just a good backup combo guard. I just noticed that a lot of people (not just you OptimusRhyme) seem to get down on Salim. YES, HE IS COCKY! And sometimes that is not such a bad thing.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah I did mean Julius Hodge. Don't know how I messed that one up.

I'd pick Stoudamire over a lot of the PGs projected to go higher than he is. The guy's tough, and he's got a beautiful shot. But as I said before, I don't think we should pick up a PG right now given where our holes are. Unless he's obviously the best player left when we pick.

i agree wholeheartedly

hrdboild said:
Yeah I did mean Julius Hodge. Don't know how I messed that one up.

I'd pick Stoudamire over a lot of the PGs projected to go higher than he is. The guy's tough, and he's got a beautiful shot. But as I said before, I don't think we should pick up a PG right now given where our holes are. Unless he's obviously the best player left when we pick.

bbb said:
You're correct; Salim is not a point guard, but rather a combo guard who can fill in at the point during certain stretches. I beg to differ with you when it comes to his defense. He is no Bobby Jackson, don't get me wrong, but he as proven his senior year that he can more than hold his own against oposing guards. The fact of the matter is that he is used so much on offense that the team cannot afford for him to play all-out defense the entire game. you may call that a cop-out, but it's college basketball. In the NBA where he will obviously not be the top option no matter who is on the court, he can become a nice backup combo guard with his shooting ability, defensive capability, and athleticism.

As far as the "tougher shots" go, what I meant was that Salim is not just a spot up shooter who shoots 56% from 3. He can create his own shot from 3, midrange, and can take it all the way to the rack. He has that midrange game that is not found in every nba player and he will need that game in the pros in order to survive the giants in the paint.

Remember, I'm not saying that he's gonna be an allstar or anything, just a good backup combo guard. I just noticed that a lot of people (not just you OptimusRhyme) seem to get down on Salim. YES, HE IS COCKY! And sometimes that is not such a bad thing.
I geuss people just see differences in players and thats fine, I respect what you think about him.

What about Adam Morrison? Chad Ford wrote this about him:

Adam Morrison, Gonzaga
The line: 6-8, 215, junior
The skinny: Like every white player who can hit a jump shot, he typically gets the Larry Bird comparisons whenever you bring up his name. In some ways, it's more justified with this kid than most. He has a confidence about his game that is palpable. His ability to consistently make tough shots with a hand in his face might be his most appealing aspect. His knowledge of the game, his passing ability, his silky smooth jumper and his fierce competitiveness all are Bird-esque. So are his heavy legs and lack of athleticism. Foot speed and lateral quickness also hurt his stock somewhat, as well as problems with diabetes. If he has a big tournament, he could get some late-lottery, mid-first round buzz. Right now, however, his stock is somewhere in the 20s.

Who do we have backing up Peja now? I think this guy might be cool.

morrison looks good, and ive seen him play in the tourney(on tv, granted) and he seems to play very smoothly...but do we really need ANOTHER peja to back up peja? and about getting a PG...it would have been nice to have someone else hwo could really handle the ball giong down this stretch(i mean, to back up Bibby) but with BJax back, i dont really think we do...the only guy i would love to have like taht is Nate Robinson...he's Bobby Jackson in Earl Boykins body...lol

Well we just moved up to 23rd pick overall after the loss to Denver.

Francisco Garcia played good tonight, I think his stat line was 14 pts,8 asts,4 rebs,1 blk on (5-6) shooting, He has really impressed me from the games I have seen this March Madness, He always looks to pass first even though he is the best offensive player on his team, hes very quick and agile, he kind of reminds me of Reggie Miller scoring wise mixed with a better passing and better slashing ability.
I hope Geoff is noticing this kid cause I sure am...

OptimusRhyme said:
Well we just moved up to 23rd pick overall after the loss to Denver.

Francisco Garcia played good tonight, I think his stat line was 14 pts,8 asts,4 rebs,1 blk on (5-6) shooting, He has really impressed me from the games I have seen this March Madness, He always looks to pass first even though he is the best offensive player on his team, hes very quick and agile, he kind of reminds me of Reggie Miller scoring wise mixed with a better passing and better slashing ability.
I hope Geoff is noticing this kid cause I sure am...
im pretty sure in a recent issue of Sports Illustrated there was a quote from Garcia about how since Miller was leaving the league this year and Garcia was coming in, he was gonna pick up right where garcia left off.....thats just something i randomly remembered while reading your post, and for all i know i saw it somewhere on this board or it wasnt even Garcia at all but....i dunno, im pretty sure it was him...correct me if im wrong