Draft Thread

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the switching argument is overblown and overplayed. Whether you're 5'9" or 6"2 inches, you're not going to be able to guard power forwards or 3s in switching situations. It's up to the team defense to counter that situation. The argument is similar to saying that more teams are going to be trying to put a power forward in isolation situations on defense with their point guard, so we should ding the power forward heavily for not doing well in those situations. If that's truly the worst that will happen with IT, then I will gladly live with it. It's much better than geting reamed by opposing point guards who get to the basket at will with no pressure. Would IT be great coming of the bench? Sure. He's good starting, so I think he'd be excellent off the bench. But right now there's not anyone that close on this team in passing skill, especially in pick and roll situations, and with the big men on this team like Couisns, and now Robinson, that is very important, imo. IT is the best guard this team has in pressuring the ball on defense, passing the ball, overall shooting, 3 pt shooting, running a pick and roll, running a fast break, and breaking a pressure defense bring the ball up the court. Unless we trade for a top 10 guard, I don't see the purpose in not starting him.
I don't disagree with you. I certainly wasn't being critical of IT. I said his only liability was his height. And regardless of what people might think, it is a liability, but not so huge as to have sleepless nights over it. For IT to guard a Westbrook or a Wall, or a Deron Williams, he has to play up on them. If he gives them space, they can use that space to shoot over him. So the only way to be real effective is to body up on them. Where that can present a problem is that gives the very quick PG's like the one's mentioned, the ability to put the ball on the floor and get by you. Like I said, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but if height didn't matter at all, we could have guys 5'5" out there playing PG. Its better to be tall and quick than short and quick. But if your short, you damm well better be quick.

I think the only answer right now, is no one knows for sure what Smart will do. He did coach under Pops at San Antonio, so its not as though he hasn't seen the right way to manage a team. Essentially, this is a make it or break it year for him. So we'll see! Unfortunately were just spectators, and suffer or enjoy the results, whatever they may be. I certainly agree that some of his substitutions were very strange. All I could chalk it up to, was his trying to see what he had. I'm not saying he was trying to lose, but may have had some indifference about it in lieu of finding out who could do what in combination with whom.

Don't know if thats the case of not, but its the only scenario to me that makes sense, other than he simply didn't know what he was doing. I find the latter hard to believe. He seems like a bright guy, and certainly doesn't lack for confidence. So its his time to shine, or fade like a dying sun. We'll see! I reserve judgement until I see some results. Good or bad!
Good observations. Smart didn't coach in a vacuum. His owners and Petrie and assistants are right there. I agree that he is really challenged whatever his opening roster is to show improvement.

At year end last year we had a PG, we did not have a position established for Evans, a question mark now, we had a high scorer who seemed a mismatch with his teammates, we had no SF, the big two slots were adequately filled in the starting lineup and will be enhanced this year.

Many on here have stated their belief that Thomas is not a long range or serious solution at PG. Many on here can't see Evans at PG. Many or most on here see no immediate role for Fredette. Most on here see no SF potential at all in the roster. Smart and management have a great deal to do before they can expect to win half their games as season's beginning. I'm sure Smart hasn't given up on being a successful head coach with the Sacramento Kings. I hope it wrks for him ..... and me.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't disagree with you. I certainly wasn't being critical of IT. I said his only liability was his height. And regardless of what people might think, it is a liability, but not so huge as to have sleepless nights over it. For IT to guard a Westbrook or a Wall, or a Deron Williams, he has to play up on them. If he gives them space, they can use that space to shoot over him. So the only way to be real effective is to body up on them. Where that can present a problem is that gives the very quick PG's like the one's mentioned, the ability to put the ball on the floor and get by you. Like I said, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but if height didn't matter at all, we could have guys 5'5" out there playing PG. Its better to be tall and quick than short and quick. But if your short, you damm well better be quick.
I don't think we disagree. I don't think anybody is saying height doesn't matter at all. It does matter in switching, posting up, and when he's isolated on defense an opposing fast break. I just think there's too much of a knee-jerk on this board that ipso facto he's 5'9" so he can't start, period. There are obviously many compensating features to his game.

Regarding defense and quickness, I would sure like to see some defensive principles in play next year that utilize this team's athleticism and quickness advantage. Now that they have Robinson, it's going to be even more pronounced. Conceivably, you could have a lineup of Robinson, T-Will, Tyreke, IT and Cousins. That is MEGA athletic. If you institute a defense that is more suited to taller slower guys for a smaller quicker team, safe to say it's not going to work very well. This team should pressure the ball and should utilize their quickness in switching, traps, and double teams. They were sooooo freaking predictable last year on defense, and that's the last thing you want to do with a quick, fast team. The fact that their switching was terrible was even more of a frustration Add to that the fact that they didn't get back on D nearly enough and it was absurd. There are a ton of college teams that adhere to defensive principles better than the Kings did last year. Seriously, with the overall athleticism and quickness of this team they should be be a defensive switching machine out there.