Draft Day!

Who will the Kings pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I talked about this in earlier threads but, Davion is heading into the last season of his rookie deal. I think he likely was always on the way out. You just couldn't justify giving him a 4/40 type deal, if he had a strong season.

The guard rotation is going to be Fox/Keon/Monk/Carter. 2 elite shot creators and 2 absolute defensive disruptors. Davion, Huerter are going to be gone.
Yessir - exactly....guard position is cemented. Gonna Love to see Carter get out on the all the elite guards out there

Haha. It's the truth. I'm not saying the guys the next superstar, but he's a beast. The Kings don't have anyone that fits that description so not bad in my book.
I don't understand how people just watched Jrue Holiday and Derrick White play this season and look at Carter with incredibly similar intangibles and not be excited.

Again, those are ceiling comps, but Carter is the archetype you go to battle with in the playoffs. People complained about our lack of toughness, lack of defensive intensity? Not anymore.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are 96 guard minutes to fill…..Carter and Ellis going to play some 3……..I mean I get they have length but the other teams have guys at the 3 who are bigger taller with more length….no?

Keon and Davion on the trade block in separate deals to bring back bigger wings?
Not Keon. You trade Davion, Huerter, and Duarte (along with HB) to balance things out. Keon and Carter are EXACTLY the guards you want next to Fox & Monk.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't understand how people just watched Jrue Holiday and Derrick White play this season and look at Carter with incredibly similar intangibles and not be excited.

Again, those are ceiling comps, but Carter is the archetype you go to battle with in the playoffs. People complained about our lack of toughness, lack of defensive intensity? Not anymore.
Feel like people are getting way too caught up in traditional position stuff and not thinking about how Mike Brown pretty much went exclusively with three guard lineups for most of the 2024 calendar year and saw the defensive ranking of the team skyrocket.

He was the best player available, no doubt. I don't have a problem with it. I think some are concerned that there isn't currently room for a rookie guard to play much this next season on a roster with established guards and a team trying to become a contender now. I don't see him coming in and beating out Keon Ellis in his first season, but if that were to happen, it would change things

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

We still need a bigger defensive wing and and a defensive big or two. There's more work to be done. But all I ask for is that we only add pieces who help the team defense and I think Carter will.

I'd love to have a second pick here for Dunn, Holmes, or Missi. I can't see any of them falling all the way to 45.

I hope he will, but by the time he becomes White/Holiday, Fox/Sabonis will be in the the 30s.

Feel like people are getting way too caught up in traditional position stuff and not thinking about how Mike Brown pretty much went with three guard lineups for most of the 2024 calendar year and saw the defensive ranking of the team skyrocket.
Yeah, replace Davion with this guy next to Fox and Monk. Then with Keon to slide in any of PG, SG, and SF. Yes, not huge but the Kings did actually get bigger.

Probably because he's 6'2.5" and barely only had 1 good shooting year out of 3. doesn't help that he's joining a team whose two best players are lack luster shooters. also doesn't help that Fox is a really small PG himself.

i guess i don't like the idea of replacing davion... with another davion. I know he's got more length, but that's essentially what you're doing here.

because the only other defensive dog we have plays the same spot. If we have a trade coming great if not
Agreed.

If Huerter and Davion are on our roster start of the season, that's a failure on Monte. I'll be right there with you calling him on that.

But you just don't use the draft to address needs. Knecht and TDS were absolute plug and play fits, but man Carter's just got an incredible ceiling on both sides of the ball. I think he easily could be the 2nd best guard on the team and unlike Davion, I think he actually slots better at the 2 than the 1 at the pro level. Absolute rock solid frame with a huge wingspan and an incredible athlete.

ESPY called it perfectly. Imagine we just take Mitchell, but because we were "set" at guard with Fox and Buddy, we passed. Whoops.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not Keon. You trade Davion, Huerter, and Duarte (along with HB) to balance things out. Keon and Carter are EXACTLY the guards you want next to Fox & Monk.
Of course, but you have to trade something to get something. Keon will have more value to more teams in the league based on his late season play. Some organizations will not value Davion at all due to size…..which is a thing as much as we all love his tenacity and defensive ability

Probably because he's 6'2.5" and barely only had 1 good shooting year out of 3. doesn't help that he's joining a team whose two best players are lack luster shooters. also doesn't help that Fox is a really small PG himself.

i guess i don't like the idea of replacing davion... with another davion. I know he's got more length, but that's essentially what you're doing here.
This isn't Davion dude. If Davion had even Carters size and athletic ability he's not at the Kings pick that year.

Since when has Fox been considered a really small PG?