Doug Christie a Sailor??

Can anyone confirm if this is true?? I found this on sailing anarchy. Pretty awesome.

http://www.sailinganarchy.com

Swift. Sure. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A Record Run for Coruba [/font]
Doug Christie from UK/Halsey Sailmakers in Seattle, (and a hell of an NBA guard) gives us this onboard report on setting the elapsed time record in the 2005 Swiftsure. Enjoy.

The owners:

Coruba is owned by Rob and Suzanne Fleming. Rob, a New Zealander, is the quintessential owner-driver. He drives his boats, works on his boats and is well known and respected in the Pacific Northwest. Suzanne has accompanied him on all the major races including doubled handed events. The Fleming's have owned a series of "sleds" including a Santa Cruz 27, a Hobie 33, and a Santa Cruz 50. All have been named after the very popular dark rum Coruba, a favorite of many Kiwi sailors.

The boat:
Coruba is a Nelson Marek 68 built in 1988 by Dencho. She has sailed as Mari****en, Geiko 2, and Firedrill, competing in Sydney Hobart. Rob and Zanne purchased her in 1996. She carries the standard rig upgraded to Carbon in 1997. A new keel designed by Bruce Nelson was fitted in 2001 giving her a new lease on life targeting Rob's desire to have a boat that sailed well in 15 TWS.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The crew:
Skipper Rob Fleming.
Runners Suzanne Fleming.
Tactics Jeff Eckard.
Navigator Doug Christie.
Cockpit crew Tony Williams, Scott Anderson, Judd Lynaberry, Tom Andrews, Mark Hulburt, Dave Richardson.
Main Marty Blanchard.
Pit Steve Maloof, Doug Wardrop.
Mast Greg Zaputel,Nick Cooper.
Mid bow Alec Simanis.
Bow Joe Grieser.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The race:
Breaking Pyewacket's record was not even on the radar as we lined up for the start of the 2005 Swiftsure. Our focus was to beat the 3 other big boats Cassiopeia (a 1995 record breaker) Icon (last years winner) and Rage. Correcting on the smaller boats is always a bit reliant on the conditions. By way of a shameless plug I would like to add that Cassiopeia, Icon and Coruba all carry Halsey Lidgard sails from the Seattle loft. All have been previous Swiftsure winners. Read on.

6/7/05
[/font]

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/fringe/2005/Swift%20Sure.htm#start

PixelPusher said:
...unless she's following the yacht in her own boat.
lmfao, i can see it now

ok let me move on..

Well you all know I had to do some research on this..well this is definately not our Doug Christie. Unless his whole appearance changed and he looks like this now..

i doubt that very highly

Hahaha.. nice jackie jokes guys.

Webber is a sailor too??
Is Steve Maloof one of the Maloofs?

Doug Christie in Seattle. Seems like this report might be accurate.

ImaDougaholic24_7 said:
lmfao, i can see it now

ok let me move on..

Well you all know I had to do some research on this..well this is definately not our Doug Christie. Unless his whole appearance changed and he looks like this now..

i doubt that very highly
Thats as close to Doug as your going to get. Sure it isnt him? ;)

Why did they put "(and a hell of an NBA guard)" if it isnt really him. Some reporters these days. Especially someone covering the event should truly know if it is him or not.

That could be a disguise so no-one would recognize him and if that's true it obviously worked. Coincidence that there's a maloof there too??? Maybe not

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Why did they put "(and a hell of an NBA guard)" if it isnt really him. Some reporters these days. Especially someone covering the event should truly know if it is him or not.
You guys sure take stuff literally.

It's a website about sailing. One of the guys is named Doug Christie and he comes from Seattle. I have a very strong feeling the "and a hell of an NBA guard" is a joke. You know, about the name being the same? I'm sure the guy sailing has had to put up with a lot having the same name and all...

Is Steve Maloof one of "the" Maloofs? Well, he's not a brother to Joe and Gavin but I'm sure he thinks he's one of the Maloofs.

:D