DOMAS BACK!!!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That’s a whole lot of clams, but exciting for Sacramento. Made me think of when Webber resigned after not wanting to be here at all, that too was feel good.
I’m not sure how we can make any future run at OG, which is is high on my wish list, or resign Monk, a must, but one step at a time.
Raptors are hellbent on running it back despite losing their only point guard so I don't think OG was ever really an option. We're pretty much locked into what we can offer Monk regardless of whatever Sabonis's contract situation was going to be so that doesn't really change.

Raptors are hellbent on running it back despite losing their only point guard so I don't think OG was ever really an option. We're pretty much locked into what we can offer Monk regardless of whatever Sabonis's contract situation was going to be so that doesn't really change.
Yeah, at this point thought if the Raptors implode mid season we could make a move for him. Would just have to make damn sure we could resign him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, at this point thought if the Raptors implode mid season we could make a move for him. Would just have to make damn sure we could resign him.
Pretty sure Masai is going to hoard his 6'8" forwards of varying shooting ability until someone shoots him through the heart with a giant arrow like Smaug from the Hobbit. The dude won one ring with Kawhi and now seems to believe that all he needs to succeed is a roster full of guys who have all of his physical attributes but none of his skills. Wouldn't be shocked if they wind up signing OG to an extension before the season even begins.

I believe Game 7 was fairly officiated and Sacramento lost that game fair and square.

Game 6 was rigged to get to Game 7. I feel like the NBA thought this would be inconsequential, Kings would win Game 7 and both teams would contend for 3-5 more years, so who cares? Stern knew it which is why he saved Sacramento.

If Samaki Walker's prayer shot at the end of the first half had correctly been ruled after the buzzer in Game 4, I also believe there is no way possible that LA comes back and wins that game on Horry's buzzer beater. They played a perfect second half and won on a fluke play.

So yeah, I feel pretty good saying the series was stolen from us, though that's the way the ball bounces.
That's all there is to it.....Kings had their chance at home no less.

You are right in the fact that this is something you have to do to secure him.

My issue is his game and performance in the playoffs.

We need to stop talking about the regular season like it matters that much.

Stars need to perform in the playoffs and if they don't perform in the playoffs why does it matter what they do in the regular season.

Was Domas worth 43 mil in the playoffs?

He wasn't.

He looked like a scrub at times.

Just calling it like I see it but I still agree that this is something you have to do and that I like Domas I think he can get to where he needs to get
16 years in row Kings missed playoffs ...then finally made it....and after that regular season don't matter much for some fans...

So next stop NBA Finals amirite?

Odd to see this made it to page 3 without the word Championship being mentioned..

When you pay someone this kind of money the goal is to win the championship right? So thats why I'm not that crazy about this deal as everyone else around here. Getting a fair price on the market doesnt do it for me, now we gotta win, no excuses!!!
Well remember the Kings got the short end of injury spectrum with Webber after a colossal contract at the time - I'd posit Webber pre-injury was more gifted than Sabonis talent-wise, so that's part of the gamble too. Injury risk is probably of the highest effect in pro sports - not just basketball. Post players probably absorb more contact than backcourt players on average. Sabonis takes a bunch of hits to his face close to once or twice a game.

That’s a whole lot of clams, but exciting for Sacramento. Made me think of when Webber resigned after not wanting to be here at all, that too was feel good.
I’m not sure how we can make any future run at OG, which is is high on my wish list, or resign Monk, a must, but one step at a time.
Well we can only offer Monk 175% of his last salary in next year's FA so that would be a deal with a starting salary at $17,405,203 (comparable to the deals Barnes & Huerter currently have). If Monk continues to show out, that might be a reasonable deal.

As for Anunoby, you'd likely need to trade for him at this point. We won't be players in FA next year where he will likely opt out (if he hasn't signed an extension by then). Technically, we could still make a trade for Anunoby this offseason (depending on the precise numbers of the contracts for Sabonis & Barnes). It would have to include these salaries going out...

Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte
PJ Dozier
Kessler Edwards
Pick(s)

for

OG Anunoby

According to my calculations, we still have ~$5 mil in cap space, so we'd combine that cap space with the players above to make an Anunoby trade work. That would give us a roster of...

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Huerter / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Anunoby / Sasha / Slawson
C - Sabonis / Lyles / Len

Having said that, I'd be surprised if we made a trade for Anunoby at this point as it would be odd to trade for Duarte only to immediately flip him. Perhaps McNair will revisit it at the deadline to see if Masai's asking price has come down.

Well we can only offer Monk 175% of his last salary in next year's FA so that would be a deal with a starting salary at $17,405,203 (comparable to the deals Barnes & Huerter currently have). If Monk continues to show out, that might be a reasonable deal.

As for Anunoby, you'd likely need to trade for him at this point. We won't be players in FA next year where he will likely opt out (if he hasn't signed an extension by then). Technically, we could still make a trade for Anunoby this offseason (depending on the precise numbers of the contracts for Sabonis & Barnes). It would have to include these salaries going out...

Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte
PJ Dozier
Kessler Edwards
Pick(s)

for

OG Anunoby

According to my calculations, we still have ~$5 mil in cap space, so we'd combine that cap space with the players above to make an Anunoby trade work. That would give us a roster of...

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Huerter / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes
PF - Anunoby / Sasha / Slawson
C - Sabonis / Lyles / Len

Having said that, I'd be surprised if we made a trade for Anunoby at this point as it would be odd to trade for Duarte only to immediately flip him. Perhaps McNair will revisit it at the deadline to see if Masai's asking price has come down.
What's nice is after next season, we'll have all our assets and FRP available for potential flips again. And we'll have a pretty clear picture of who the long-term core is and who is expendable in a potential flip.

I think that was part of the evaluation this off-season too. Not overpaying for super mid-FA deals, keep the boys together for one more season and head into the 24 off-season with a full arsenal and another year of information on what this team needs.

What's nice is after next season, we'll have all our assets and FRP available for potential flips again. And we'll have a pretty clear picture of who the long-term core is and who is expendable in a potential flip.

I think that was part of the evaluation this off-season too. Not overpaying for super mid-FA deals, keep the boys together for one more season and head into the 24 off-season with a full arsenal and another year of information on what this team needs.
The other thing that seems to be aligning is the fact that McNair is lining up a lot of these contracts to expire in the 2026 offseason. Fox, Barnes, Huerter, Murray, & Sasha all are expirings that year. (If we resign Monk to a 2 year deal next offseason, he'll be an expiring as well). Gives him another window in the future to make some drastic pivots if it's needed.

The boom or bust mentality can drive me crazy. It’s now very trendy to say nothing matters about the regular season….load management, intensity isn’t always there, home court in the playoffs doesn’t seem to really matter anymore. All of that may have some merit to some degree, but you know what? I still love watching regular season Kings games. For 16 years of losing I still watched them and somehow got enjoyment out of it. This is not life or death. It’s entertainment. I will still live and die every game, but if we can get a highly competitive, fun, feel good team to watch over the next half decade that gives us our best shot at a championship in 20 years, I’ll take it even if they never make it to the top.

In domas, we just retained the core/hub that made last years squad one of the most exciting and entertaining teams in NBA history. You like stats? He puts up huge numbers across the board. Arguably the best in team history. You like team chemistry and camaraderie? The guy is an affable, caring teammate that inspires. You can say coach brown changed our culture, but that doesn’t happen without Domas selflessness and leadership. You like toughness? The dude played through a broken hand through half the season and shook off a stomping in the playoffs. People can feel free to point to his performance in 7 games in the team’s first playoffs in 17 years as the evidence for their skepticism, but come on..this is a total no brainer of a contract for everything he brings to this team. He is a low maintenance, team oriented all-nba player. There is a short list of players you can say that about.

He “accepts” less, but in reality he doesn’t. He’s just getting paid his money earlier, but it saves the Kings about $2million extra in cap space.
According to Wojnarowski, "Sabonis, 27, isn't taking the full money available to him. He discussed with the Kings' leadership his desire to prioritize the franchise's roster-building flexibility over fully maximizing his earnings, team officials told ESPN."

According to Wojnarowski, "Sabonis, 27, isn't taking the full money available to him. He discussed with the Kings' leadership his desire to prioritize the franchise's roster-building flexibility over fully maximizing his earnings, team officials told ESPN."
See my previous comment here. I think my numbers were a bit off, as I've edited some.. but it looks like the Kings are giving him a raise this season to offset for the "less money" he's getting the rest f his contract. Technically might be less by 1-2million of total money in his contract, but it's basically still the max for him.

I think our maths are different? Here’s my understanding: The projected salary for the 2024-2025 season is: 142.8million

Sabonis has over 7 years of experience and would qualify for the 30% max salary cap with 8.5% annual raises. A typical 4-year max contract next year would end up looking like:

2024-2025: 42,840,000
2025-2026: 46,481,400
2026-2026: 50,432,319
2027-2028: 54,719,066

total: $194,472,785

Here’s the number James Ham gave for Sabonis’ actual extension:

total new money (not counting this season): $187.4million

Comparing the year by year number, it’s a $2million difference. But Sabonis isn’t actually giving up any money. On paper, he makes up for it this year because we’re giving a raise of $7.7million this year…which is actually more than the difference. which is close to the difference.

If anything, this is a great job for Monte’s team being able to sell Sabonis on the pitch. He “accepts” less, but in reality he doesn’t. He’s just getting paid his money earlier, but it saves the Kings about $2million extra in cap space.

I think we just figured out what Monte spent the 24th pick on?

But I don’t think Sabonis should be painted as someone who gave up less money… he didn’t. He got paid his max.

As soon as an NBA player gets anywhere close to a max contract, fans immediately come out of the woodwork and start nitpicking about what CAN'T he do, what DIDN'T he do, and what WON'T he do for us in the future. As if your first impression of someone is who he/she is and will be for eternity.

Just ignore that he broke his finger for now (Since someone still accused his injury had nothing to do with his sudden lack of shooting touch in the Playoffs), to believe a 27-year-old basketball player who'd just entered his prime had his game figured out by the Warriors last playoffs, and simply would not improve is ludicrous, and what's more ridiculous is to still championing this point even after the franchise you are rooting for literally gave him a stamp of approval with a contract in this magnitude ignoring that "they are with him almost daily and thus must've seen something I didn't" just show the rest of the world how big and secluded you are allowing your own echo-chamber to become.

Fact is, every team in the league would want Sabonis today if they could, and would happily pay this contract in a heartbeat if they could.

Simple as that.

See my previous comment here. I think my numbers were a bit off, as I've edited some.. but it looks like the Kings are giving him a raise this season to offset for the "less money" he's getting the rest f his contract. Technically might be less by 1-2million of total money in his contract, but it's basically still the max for him.
I think it’s a $7.7 mil raise this year and he’ll be making ~$4 mil/year less than the max (so leaving ~$16 mil on the table for an instant $7.7 mil raise).

And we gave it three years with Jason Williams before making that move. I'd be ok with a Bibby move in another season. No reason to do that in year two because we're still learning what we have.
Yeah, now it has to be trades though. This season Monte had a little window of space but this is the result, now to see what Sasha and Keegan can do. That's pretty much the needed bump pieces now.

The other thing that seems to be aligning is the fact that McNair is lining up a lot of these contracts to expire in the 2026 offseason. Fox, Barnes, Huerter, Murray, & Sasha all are expirings that year. (If we resign Monk to a 2 year deal next offseason, he'll be an expiring as well). Gives him another window in the future to make some drastic pivots if it's needed.
We'll have to see, I mean it's setting up now that Domas has signed for big money that Fox. Keegan, and Domas could very well be taking up 70-80% or more of the cap by themselves. Saving up for cap space right now isn't realistic good plan. Keeping flexible assets is the way now. Monte signed contracts that aren't terrible at all and could have serious trade value at some point. Cap dreams were this offseason and after Beal went to the Suns apparently the cap method option was off the table.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah, now it has to be trades though. This season Monte had a little window of space but this is the result, now to see what Sasha and Keegan can do. That's pretty much the needed bump pieces now.
I think our year 2 is better than the 2000 year two.

While we mostly ran it back, we lost Mad Max, we sent Tariq Abdul Wahad and draft capital to Orlando for Nick Anderson, and I think the only other memorable names were adding Tony Delk and Darrick Martin.

This time around we're losing Holmes, TD, Metu, Delly and gave up our pick while adding Duarte and Sasha. Maybe we'll add a small piece before its all said and done. Honestly feel like Duarte has the potential to be more valuable than Nick Anderson ever was and Sasha some of us may have unrealistic expectations for but I'd be shocked if he doesn't contribute at least on the level Keegan did last year.

I think our year 2 is better than the 2000 year two.

While we mostly ran it back, we lost Mad Max, we sent Tariq Abdul Wahad and draft capital to Orlando for Nick Anderson, and I think the only other memorable names were adding Tony Delk and Darrick Martin.

This time around we're losing Holmes, TD, Metu, Delly and gave up our pick while adding Duarte and Sasha. Maybe we'll add a small piece before its all said and done. Honestly feel like Duarte has the potential to be more valuable than Nick Anderson ever was and Sasha some of us may have unrealistic expectations for but I'd be shocked if he doesn't contribute at least on the level Keegan did last year.
Hopefully, but I think people forget how young some of those pieces on that team were. I mean, put this in perspective. Hedo was 21, Peja was 23, J-Will was 25. Even Webber was basically the same age as Domas now. That should be the goal for this team though, break that 50 win mark. The honeymoon is over, no slow starts, chemistry teams need to hit the ground running and load up on the front end while all the new teams tinker.

As for Duarte, where does he play? When does he play? I'm not sure he has a guaranteed spot as it is. Fox, Davion, Monk, Huerter, and a 5th guy is probably some form or split between Edwards/Duarte. And that was a 10-13 mpg role mixed with games sitting as it was. Assuming Sasha is in that top 9 guys that pushes Edwards to 10. Edwards and Duarte are basically your 10-11 guys.

I'll start getting on Domas's playoff performance when he goes in not at 50% health. Gets stomped on, gets a black eye, broken finger. Fox was bad after he broke his finger, should we get on him too?

I don't understand why no one will answer this, but why was he comfortable shooting open looks in the regular season and all of a sudden just flat stopped in the playoffs? A big part of his jump to All-NBA last year was the fact he was willing to take open jumpers. Something happened behind the scenes with his finger imo and I'm not going to worry about it at all unless he stops shooting next year/next playoffs too.

AND despite all that, if Huerter and HB play like actual NBA players, we win the series in 6 games.
I personally think it was the stomp on the chest. I cracked my sternum in my 20s. Nothing you can really do about it but let it heal. Every twist or sudden movement hurts. There is no doubt in my mind that he didn't at least suffer ba bruised sternum and/ribs. The pain would be a he same.

I'll be the one guy to say it I guess, but there is quite a bit of risk involved with deals this size regardless of how good the player was last season. Just look at the bradley beal thread, there's more people discussing his contract than his on-court merits, if you think Sabonis is immune to that sort of treatment I say just wait n see.

Let me just outline how I'd think this would end up being an underwhelming deal for the Kings, its actually quite simple really, it looks a whole lot like that playoff series vs the Warriors. Sabonis has averaged 12 rebounds the last 4 seasons, he was held under that number in 5 out of 7 playoff games. He's picking up lots of fouls in that series and obviously not making his jumpers either, so thats pretty much it, the worst case scenario, we've already seen it, he didnt even really play that great in the game 6 we won too, our back court did the heavy lifting that game for certain.

He is the starting C in the league with the shortest wingspan, one of the ways he nullifies this disadvantage is using his body and positioning proper and all the fundamentals. But can he hold those advantages vs all opponents? sure seemed like a struggle vs Keevon Looney.. And a very important follow up question is can he play that kind of physical ball without picking up too many fouls? Your 20 million dollar center getting into foul trouble early isnt quite the same as your 50 million dollar center getting into foul trouble early --- i sure hope this contract hasn't doomed us to sitting around and blaming the refs! He's never picked up as many fouls in his career as he has for the Kings, and he averaged 4 PF's per game in the playoffs..

My biggest worry, by far, is If we have a situation where we're signing a player who grabs a ton of rebounds over the course of the season thru high volume on a high paced team, where he's got sorta combo-forwards like KM and Barnes who arent exactly noted rebounders at the PF position, and then when we hit the playoffs teams are able to gameplan and go big to shut that down much better. I've always brought that up when discussing Sabonis at C, and in the regular season it worked great but in that playoff series it did manifest.

Now the good news is clearly we're pretty much running it back, if the rebounding rears its ugly head in the playoffs next season as it did this one, we can of course change things up and account for that.

The other thing that makes me wonder is just, we're sorta in bed with small-ball now, and with Wembanyama and Chet Holmgren aroudn the west should also be taller. We'll see. should be fun. Dont mean to be a wet blanket but lets not just pretend we just won the championship because we signed the guy, still a whole lotta roads to cross.
You guys do not understand Domas at all.
The boom or bust mentality can drive me crazy. It’s now very trendy to say nothing matters about the regular season….load management, intensity isn’t always there, home court in the playoffs doesn’t seem to really matter anymore. All of that may have some merit to some degree, but you know what? I still love watching regular season Kings games. For 16 years of losing I still watched them and somehow got enjoyment out of it. This is not life or death. It’s entertainment. I will still live and die every game, but if we can get a highly competitive, fun, feel good team to watch over the next half decade that gives us our best shot at a championship in 20 years, I’ll take it even if they never make it to the top.

In domas, we just retained the core/hub that made last years squad one of the most exciting and entertaining teams in NBA history. You like stats? He puts up huge numbers across the board. Arguably the best in team history. You like team chemistry and camaraderie? The guy is an affable, caring teammate that inspires. You can say coach brown changed our culture, but that doesn’t happen without Domas selflessness and leadership. You like toughness? The dude played through a broken hand through half the season and shook off a stomping in the playoffs. People can feel free to point to his performance in 7 games in the team’s first playoffs in 17 years as the evidence for their skepticism, but come on..this is a total no brainer of a contract for everything he brings to this team. He is a low maintenance, team oriented all-nba player. There is a short list of players you can say that about.
There is total of 2 NBA players that fit your description ....Domas and Joker...Joker got his....Domas is next.