Domantas "Big D" Sabonis

so perhaps you can answer why so many “positive people” constantly resort to personal attacks when presented with data or opinions they don’t like???

peace
I think you're wrong quite a bit of the time, but I do give you credit that you at least try to support your positions with some statistical backing. And the back and forth is very enjoyable, makes for more interesting discussions around the Kings

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ive-why-mike-brown-growth-coach-kings-beaming
There's a major issue with NBA's extension rules
While the rules won't change in time to help the Raptors and Wizards with VanVleet and Kuzma, a rule change this summer could avoid this situation coming up next season with the likes of Atlanta Hawks guard Dejounte Murray, Raptors forward O.G. Anunoby, Sacramento Kings big man Domantas Sabonis and Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown.

Those four players are extension eligible this upcoming offseason, but for far less than what they could earn when they become free agents in 2024.

It is intersting to see, how slowly NBA is changing point of view to Kings. A lot of journalists and blogers have to admit, that Kings are very surprising and good. And especially it is amazing to see, when NBA post an article https://www.nba.com/news/trending-topics-west-all-stars-starters-2022-23 , where they put Sabonis not just to All Star, but to starting five....
It would be a huge recognition for Sabonis and Kings team, if Sabonis would make it for real.

It’s so odd how the kings got raked for trading a 22 year old no time all star making 4mm for a 26 year old 2 time all star making 18mm. Both of whom now are in line to be possible starters (won’t because of voting) in the AS game and both in line for max contract extensions.

Also, somehow putting pieces together that actually fit vs. just hypothetical good players is a problem too. Toronto and Orlando have great hypothetical good teams.

I hope the extra day between the Toronto debacle and the Timberwolves game will help Sabonis. As I mentioned in the Toronto game thread, he seemed to have trouble catching and holding onto the ball, which led to a high turnover rate the past two games. That thumb injury has got to be hurting.

If you were GM and the Pacers call wanting a "tradesies backsies" would you do it?

Hali was my favorite player when he was here, and I absolutely think he's a future allstar, but there's no way I'm trading Sabonis for him straight up today.

Domas has been freakin insane this season.
I think that's very reasonable. I too love Hali, who too is playing well, and but for his injury, would have likely been an As this year.

As of now though, Domas is the better player in my opinion, and this is without even considering that he's a better fit for our roster. Fox and Hali were not working out. Once we added Davion, it just got worse. So, all in all, can't complain. Wish Hali the best though.

Sabonis should be starting over LeBron and Zion, his team is 7 games over 500., LeBrons is below 500., I reckon Sabonis/Joel/Jokic/Bam should all be starting in the All-Star game at PF/C.

Arvydas was a beast and an ultimate competitor. to stop him, a lot of other teams resolved to play dirty not only against him, but against all the team Sabas played on.
First time Sabas taught a lesson to his oponent was in the old Soviets top basketball league. i think it was in 1908 or 1981 (not later). it wa a final 4 format and a center or a PF from Dynamo Moscow played dirty against sabas all game long. It had a dubious purpose - to get sabas out and if Sabas got suspended, his team "Žalgiris" would not cause problems to the powerhouse at that time, CSKA Moscow. At the end of the game, Sabas who was barely 16 years old had enough and punched the guy hard and for real. He was thrown out of the game, suspended for the next one and "Žalgiris" finished 4th.
later on, a funny rule was implemented to the Soviet basketball federation. If a player dunked the ball and touched the rim - it was a technical foul :) Many other underwater games were played too. Because with Sabas "Žalgiris" was winning vregular season at ease, they come up with the final, best of 5 format to determine a champion. First 2 tries "Žalgiris" failed (reffing and just lack of experience from certain players to play against such adversity), but then won 3 championships in a row. I think the last one they won was already after Sabas tore his Achilles tendon for the first time. Even after his first injury he was never the same. needless to say, he tore the same tendon for the second time later.
Even when the Soviets let him to go to the USA in 1988 after gold medal in Seoul (then Sabas had just first injury), Sabas himself refused. because he was not the same player as before in his own eyes and he just couldn't accept his changed condition.
When finally Sabas decided to come to Portland in 1995 it was because of the $$$. NBA contracts got much bigger, and he still was able to sign a contract for 10 mil per year. At that time he was basically a cripple, yet still his giant size, magic hands and basketball savvy made him an important contributor to a good Blazers team. If not that bad last game in LA against Kobe and Shaq, when Blazers had a 15 points lead in the 4th quarter, Sabas could have gotten NBA rings. It's his son turn and try now.
Funny, Sabas always played for the underdog teams (except Real, Madrid), now Domas. At first in Indiana, now with the Kings. BUT, maybe Kings will become NBA darlings, who knows :) Like GSW with Curry and Thompson and others. Let's only hope :)

I think that's very reasonable. I too love Hali, who too is playing well, and but for his injury, would have likely been an As this year.

As of now though, Domas is the better player in my opinion, and this is without even considering that he's a better fit for our roster. Fox and Hali were not working out. Once we added Davion, it just got worse. So, all in all, can't complain. Wish Hali the best though.
Not to suggest any of this is Haliburton's fault, he's improved a wobbling team immeasurably and they did make some other moves to get some picks this offseason, so it's possible it's a non issue. But since they just extended Turner and Haliburton is presumably going to get his designated rookie extension this summer, they're going to have a lot of trouble balancing the roster moving forward. The Pacers performance since Haliburton's injury however has been abysmal, so you have to wonder how much upgrading can be done before it's too late and they hit their ceiling as a team.

I think Pritchard was a pretty savvy GM and talent evaluator in Portland - not perfect (mostly due to injuries), but good for small markets like Portland, Indy and Sac. So I expect him to get the most of his draft stock and this may all be moot. But there's no way I'm trading places with them.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not to suggest any of this is Haliburton's fault, he's improved a wobbling team immeasurably and they did make some other moves to get some picks this offseason, so it's possible it's a non issue. But since they just extended Turner and Haliburton is presumably going to get his designated rookie extension this summer, they're going to have a lot of trouble balancing the roster moving forward. The Pacers performance since Haliburton's injury however has been abysmal, so you have to wonder how much upgrading can be done before it's too late and they hit their ceiling as a team.

I think Pritchard was a pretty savvy GM and talent evaluator in Portland - not perfect (mostly due to injuries), but good for small markets like Portland, Indy and Sac. So I expect him to get the most of his draft stock and this may all be moot. But there's no way I'm trading places with them.
If I’m Pritchard I’m absolutely letting the team bottom out this season (“Make sure that knee is really feeling 110%, Tyrese!”) and packaging those auxiliary picks for a player good enough to help the team when it’s fully heathy but not good enough to single handedly push the team out of the top 15 pick range (OG does make some sense for them to bring in given that he and Myles would be a great defensive front court to play behind walking defensive sieves Tyrese, Benn, and Buddy). It would kill all their cap space for the future but Indiana much like Sacramento probably wasn’t going to be doing much in Free Agency anyways. Myles/OG/(mid-lotto prospect like Anthony Black or Jarace Walker or Cam Whitmore or a Thompson twin)/Benn/Tyrese is a pretty strong lineup to build around. Maybe not upper tier but it would get them right back into the thick of things like their owner likes.

If I’m Pritchard I’m absolutely letting the team bottom out this season (“Make sure that knee is really feeling 110%, Tyrese!”) and packaging those auxiliary picks for a player good enough to help the team when it’s fully heathy but not good enough to single handedly push the team out of the top 15 pick range (OG does make some sense for them to bring in given that he and Myles would be a great defensive front court to play behind walking defensive sieves Tyrese, Benn, and Buddy). It would kill all their cap space for the future but Indiana much like Sacramento probably wasn’t going to be doing much in Free Agency anyways. Myles/OG/(mid-lotto prospect like Anthony Black or Jarace Walker or Cam Whitmore or a Thompson twin)/Benn/Tyrese is a pretty strong lineup to build around. Maybe not upper tier but it would get them right back into the thick of things like their owner likes.
Yeah, this is one of those things where does the owner let you do it that Kings fans know all too well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
https://theathletic.com/4210736/2023...star-playoffs/

This wasn’t by design, but these conversations with Sacramento Kings big man Domantas Sabonis have officially become an annual affair.

When we went ‘Unplugged’ around this time a year ago, he was only a month removed from the controversial trade that ended his five-season stay in Indiana while sending Tyrese Haliburton and Buddy Hield to the Pacers.
I assume that some dudes are specifically coming for the thumb. Did you run into any of that, where you’re sitting there going ‘Come on, man, I can see what you’re trying to do here.’?

Yeah, there’s been a couple players. I’m not gonna say names, but there’s been a couple players. Some players even joke (about it), but we’re close. But sometimes you’re like, ‘Damn, that looked pretty (suspect). Like, how are we going for a rebound and you grab that area?’
*Edited to comply with fair-use

Last edited by a moderator:
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2023/02/2...nearing-new-cba-deal-what-are-the-key-points/
Contract extension changes.
Expect changes to the contract extension rules that make it easier for teams to re-sign players. Right now, teams can only offer an extension that starts at 120% of the last year of a contract, but if that is a below-market deal — think Kyle Kuzma right now, in his breakout year — it means he has to become a free agent even if he wants to re-sign with his current team. That jump may be increased to 150% or more, giving teams some flexibility to keep players.