Do the Kings go all in on free agency?

You forgot the best available (RFA) stretch 4 - Nemanja Bjelica.

I know Bjelica played a stretch 4 but he's truely at his best as a massive 3 man, he's always been that until he came to the NBA when Jimmy Butler went down he played the 3 very effectively like a Joe Ingles (less handles than Joe) the guy is a excellent playmaker and is a 3 man forced to play the 4 for some reason (Thibs not known for his flexibility). Every time he played the 3 he was a really solid NBA player at the four he sucked imo. The Wolves colour commentary guy (Peterson?) always even said the same thing that Nemanja is at his best as a 3.

I would love Bjelica as a back up 3 man all day every day who can at least slide to the 4.

I'll be probably the only one on this. But, I'd sign Noah Vonleh and the price should be reasonable, if you can get 3 years and maybe a player option for the 4th, that'd be ideal.

He's still just 22. I think he's a good fit and has nice upside. If the Kings are truly in asset acquisition mode, which was reported before the draft, Vonleh is a great project. He's actually got more skill than most would expect, he can dribble has a crossover, the bulls let him take 60 3's in 21 games and he's been a good rebounder per 36mins his whole career. excellent character guy, strong high motor...

this wouldn't really be a going all in move though, this is more like speculating on a potential booming asset in the coming seasons. I like Caboclo but Vonleh would be a much safer player to throw a real contract to.

Vonleh is a potentially solid pair with Bagley IMO..

I'll be probably the only one on this. But, I'd sign Noah Vonleh and the price should be reasonable, if you can get 3 years and maybe a player option for the 4th, that'd be ideal.

He's still just 22. I think he's a good fit and has nice upside. If the Kings are truly in asset acquisition mode, which was reported before the draft, Vonleh is a great project. He's actually got more skill than most would expect, he can dribble has a crossover, the bulls let him take 60 3's in 21 games and he's been a good rebounder per 36mins his whole career. excellent character guy, strong high motor...

this wouldn't really be a going all in move though, this is more like speculating on a potential booming asset in the coming seasons. I like Caboclo but Vonleh would be a much safer player to throw a real contract to.

Vonleh is a potentially solid pair with Bagley IMO..
Don't we have enough bigs?

Don't we have enough bigs?
Yeah but Randolph and KK expire and they can always make a trade, it's not a bad problem to have. He's not redundant. If the reports that management is underwhelmed by the progress of skal and wcs are true it makes more sense.

there will be injuries too, always happens. vonleh could be a cheap insurance policy with upside!

I disagree. I've watched too many Orlando games for my own good, but Hezonja is not a SF. He's too laterally slow at guarding SFs, but not strong enough to guard PFs. Yeah he has the offensive skillset for a SF, but it's the defense we need. If defense was taken out of the equation, we might as well play Bogdan at the 3.

I don't think he has decent lateral quickness. He gets blown by way too easily.. and this is against SFs. He's a gamble. I just don't think the Kings should be rewarding busts nor mediocrity(talking about overapying him). We've already been massively overpaying in FA for anyone who can pick up a basketball. I don't want a Hezonja signing to set another standard for us. Telling busts they can come here and we'll pay them big money in order to gamble on their potential. Sets a poor precedent, it's why FAs take advantage of the Kings all the freaking time. Iggy is the prime example of a player who used us as leverage against GS. Guys like Allen Crabbe did the same too. These FAs know they can come in for a visit in Sacramento and we'll be the team who has no problem ponying-up money. I'm not happy with that at all. We're also the destination for vets to go to if they want to get overpaid. George Hill? Nobody had the cap space to sign him for 20mpy. Zach Randolph? would any team really even spend a dime above vet minimum for him? Anthony Tolliver for $8mpy? We're also fine welcoming in rejects like Rajon Rondo and Matt Barnes.

Hezonja signing is nowhere near as bad as those examples, but this would set a horrible precedent. I'm referring to the people who think we should throw 8-10mpy his way. Might as well form a line out the door and welcome back Stauskas while we're at it.

Clarifying a little bit more, I'm down for bringing in Hezonja, but just as long as it's not more than 5mpy.
What realistic target would you go after in free agency if you were the GM?

Most of these guys we're talking about are pretty low level players.

I think Will Barton is the best basketball player that we could realistically bring in but I don't know if he's a fit here for obvious reasons. He would probably be the best player on the team but he would be expensive due to coming off a career year. He's also a semi redundant talent. Plays 1/2/3 but is best at the 2 and isn't a good defender.

Id like mario and Bjlecia
Not sure about Mario. Two organizations have already quit developping him. He reminds me of Darko Milicic in that respect. From outside you see great potential, inconsistency when he actually plays and see organizations cooling down on him. When Darko stopped playing, he admitted he was parting a lot and even going to practice drunk. It doesn't mean the same applies to Mario, but so far it similar enough to cause a concern.

What realistic target would you go after in free agency if you were the GM?

Most of these guys we're talking about are pretty low level players.

I think Will Barton is the best basketball player that we could realistically bring in but I don't know if he's a fit here for obvious reasons. He would probably be the best player on the team but he would be expensive due to coming off a career year. He's also a semi redundant talent. Plays 1/2/3 but is best at the 2 and isn't a good defender.
I think our roster spot is pretty much filled out except for SF, but this SF class is on the weaker end for us at least. If we can get them on a reasonable deal, I'm ok with Hezonja and McDermott. If Ariza didn't want 4yr $50-60m deal, I'd consider him on a 2yr deal. Max would be 12million/yr?

At PF, I'd be looking for a backup stretch 4. Ersan Ilyasova, Nemanja Bjelica, or Luke Babbitt. Babbitt might be the cheapest option and best 3pt shooter, but he's the worst player. I'd be looking for a 2yr deal, 1+1 TO.

Frank did a good job as a rookie and 2nd round pick, but I think we need to bring some competition his way. Dante Exum if we also get him on a reasonable contract. Shabazz Napier did a good job in Portland.

If we hadn't drafted Bagley, I would've targeted bigger FAs like Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, and Jusuf Nurkic.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Hood is not good defensively. Might as well have Bogdan guarding small forwards. Bogdan has 6'11 wingspan, Hood 6'8 wingspan. If we are going to use money on wings, I'd rather have even one thats a good defender.
I disagree. I think he is a good defensive player. He's not as good as Oubre, but he's pretty good.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I know Bjelica played a stretch 4 but he's truely at his best as a massive 3 man, he's always been that until he came to the NBA when Jimmy Butler went down he played the 3 very effectively like a Joe Ingles (less handles than Joe) the guy is a excellent playmaker and is a 3 man forced to play the 4 for some reason (Thibs not known for his flexibility). Every time he played the 3 he was a really solid NBA player at the four he sucked imo. The Wolves colour commentary guy (Peterson?) always even said the same thing that Nemanja is at his best as a 3.

I would love Bjelica as a back up 3 man all day every day who can at least slide to the 4.
Very interesting. Do you have any insights on his defense?

I think our roster spot is pretty much filled out except for SF, but this SF class is on the weaker end for us at least. If we can get them on a reasonable deal, I'm ok with Hezonja and McDermott. If Ariza didn't want 4yr $50-60m deal, I'd consider him on a 2yr deal. Max would be 12million/yr?

At PF, I'd be looking for a backup stretch 4. Ersan Ilyasova, Nemanja Bjelica, or Luke Babbitt. Babbitt might be the cheapest option and best 3pt shooter, but he's the worst player. I'd be looking for a 2yr deal, 1+1 TO.

Frank did a good job as a rookie and 2nd round pick, but I think we need to bring some competition his way. Dante Exum if we also get him on a reasonable contract. Shabazz Napier did a good job in Portland.

If we hadn't drafted Bagley, I would've targeted bigger FAs like Aaron Gordon, Julius Randle, and Jusuf Nurkic.
Most of those names just make me depressed. Probably because those are our only realistic shots in FA. I'd pocket the money if I couldn't land Hezonja or Exum on reasonable contracts.

Just searching through the web and I'd wager 90% of NBA team fan sites are all saying the same about Herzonja - take a flyer, bargain, maybe this or that, lukewarm etc.

I'd say Orlando is in the drivers seat as they need his shooting. He's going to get $10 million a year. This happens every FA year where teams overpay.

I think he's a good fit for the Kings. Reminds me of Peja a little bit but not the stone cold killer Peja was or as good as a shooter, but would like to see how Peja's influence on Hez could turn him into a really nice player.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Just searching through the web and I'd wager 90% of NBA team fan sites are all saying the same about Herzonja - take a flyer.

I'd say Orlando is in the drivers seat as they need his shooting. He's going to get $10 million a year. This happens every FA year where teams overpay.
Orlando can't offer over $5.2 million because they turned down his 4th year option. If anyone goes towards $10M Orlando is out of the picture.

For what it's worth, Hezonja said it's not going to come down to money https://www.nba.com/magic/news/hezonjas-improvement-impressing-coaches-teammates-20180327
"For me, it’s not about money; unfortunately, what is the thing is that the money plays, regardless who you are and how good you are,’’ Hezonja said, referring to team’s tendencies to play the players that they are most financially invested in. "I’m telling you that I’m not in America for (money); I’m here to play. (Orlando) is my number one option and (Orlando) is what I like, especially with the vision of (President of Basketball Operations) Jeff (Weltman) and (GM) John (Hamoond), what they have going on and what they want to do here.’’
"If it was for the money, I don’t know, I’d probably work somewhere at home, doing some crazy stuff and not even playing sports,’’ Hezonja joked, referring to his roots in the coastal Dubrovnik, Croatia. "But it’s not about that (money) at all. The only thing that it is is the money plays for many occasions. But we’ll see (what happens) because I like it here (in Orlando) and I love being here (with the Magic). We’ll see.’’​

For what it's worth, Hezonja said it's not going to come down to money https://www.nba.com/magic/news/hezonjas-improvement-impressing-coaches-teammates-20180327
"For me, it’s not about money; unfortunately, what is the thing is that the money plays, regardless who you are and how good you are,’’ Hezonja said, referring to team’s tendencies to play the players that they are most financially invested in. "I’m telling you that I’m not in America for (money); I’m here to play. (Orlando) is my number one option and (Orlando) is what I like, especially with the vision of (President of Basketball Operations) Jeff (Weltman) and (GM) John (Hamoond), what they have going on and what they want to do here.’’​
"If it was for the money, I don’t know, I’d probably work somewhere at home, doing some crazy stuff and not even playing sports,’’ Hezonja joked, referring to his roots in the coastal Dubrovnik, Croatia. "But it’s not about that (money) at all. The only thing that it is is the money plays for many occasions. But we’ll see (what happens) because I like it here (in Orlando) and I love being here (with the Magic). We’ll see.’’​
Well that was confusing.

Hood shouldn’t even be entertained
You’re a user I respect and enjoy hearing from but am confused by your take on this. Hood showed the ability to be a secondary or third scorer on the Jazz and is in an unfavorable position in Cleveland. He provides more scoring and athleticism AND potential than Hezonja so what is it about him that should be a turn off to us?

You’re a user I respect and enjoy hearing from but am confused by your take on this. Hood showed the ability to be a secondary or third scorer on the Jazz and is in an unfavorable position in Cleveland. He provides more scoring and athleticism AND potential than Hezonja so what is it about him that should be a turn off to us?
Hood is terrible in terms of advanced stats, and became unplayable to the Cavs and has no upside at his age

Hezonja is still moderately young with a good body

But I obviously don’t think SF is a priority with two solid wings in Buddy/Bogdan and JJ still having some game

We might be going after a luxury center. Dallas/Atlanta may be our only competition with cap space and need. Dallas is reportedly looking at Jordan/Cousins

Hopefully Buddy/Bogdan’s visit with Capella was more than coincidence

"For me, it’s not about money; unfortunately, what is the thing is that the money plays, regardless who you are and how good you are,’’ Hezonja said, referring to team’s tendencies to play the players that they are most financially invested in. "I’m telling you that I’m not in America for (money); I’m here to play. (Orlando) is my number one option and (Orlando) is what I like, especially with the vision of (President of Basketball Operations) Jeff (Weltman) and (GM) John (Hamoond), what they have going on and what they want to do here.’’​
He’s coming off a rookie contract, and may never be in a position to get paid again if he gets injured

I think it will be about it

I think he is the perfect player to take a chance on, young with skills and improved shooting. Can play the 3 or the 4. And knows Peja well

Get it done July 1. Offer him three years 24 million, 10 1st year, 7 million second and third.

Third year being a team option today. Let him know he needs to sign at beginning of free agency (24 hrs) and let him know we want immediate decision or offer is off the table

Hood is terrible in terms of advanced stats, and became unplayable to the Cavs and has no upside at his age

Hezonja is still moderately young with a good body

But I obviously don’t think SF is a priority with two solid wings in Buddy/Bogdan and JJ still having some game

We might be going after a luxury center. Dallas/Atlanta may be our only competition with cap space and need. Dallas is reportedly looking at Jordan/Cousins

Hopefully Buddy/Bogdan’s visit with Capella was more than coincidence
This. Let’s get Capela in a S&T for Willie. Gives a defensive anchor and elite roll-man while shoring up the frontcourt for the forseeable future. Keeps Bagley clean on defense too.

Yeah, a rotation of Capela, Bagley, and Giles could potentially revolutionise the game. This small ball trend is fine but the bigs are adopting to fit the modern nba.

I dont necessarily believe Capela is interested in the Kings but that was a cool picture of him with Buddy and Bogdan in Belgrade.

He doesn’t pass I’m not a fan of role players who don’t pass or play defense. Him refusing to enter a playoff game was the icing on the cake

Yeah, a rotation of Capela, Bagley, and Giles could potentially revolutionise the game. This small ball trend is fine but the bigs are adopting to fit the modern nba.

I dont necessarily believe Capela is interested in the Kings but that was a cool picture of him with Buddy and Bogdan in Belgrade.
Just for information disclosure purposes-

Bogdan and Clint share the same agent. https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Jason-Ranne/785

Clint was born in Switzerland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Capela

Just wanted to point out two facts that recently came to my attention when analyzing the pic taken with Buddy and Bogdan in Belgrade.

The Kings may literally be the only team willing to max him

Few teams have space. Much fewer need a center, especially after the draft such as Suns/Bulls etc.

Kings may be the only team with cap, if Shump is stretched, that could max him and the Rockets may not match that