Do the Kings go all in on free agency?

This is a very strange argument.

This thread began with a tweet that stated that the Kings didn't have a pick in 2019 so for all intents and purposes the young guys on the roster would have to be the core of the team. The question was whether or not that group is enough to be successful.

You can disagree with how Tony Xypteras is using the word "core" but that's not really the crux of the discussion.

The real question is whether Vlade has assembled enough talent for the Kings to move forward in a positive way.

And for me the answer is that it's hard to say right now. A lot would have to break right for this team. But we'll get a good indication in a little over a week when the first summer league games start.
You're right its not, but I didn't appreciate being scolded for something that's essentially true. T

he real question is whether the Kings go all-in on free agency this year or not. Vlade may be on the hot seat by the end of this season - certainly if the Kings don't show some marked improvement.

You're right its not, but I didn't appreciate being scolded for something that's essentially true. T

he real question is whether the Kings go all-in on free agency this year or not. Vlade may be on the hot seat by the end of this season - certainly if the Kings don't show some marked improvement.
my guess is they stand pat in free agency or at least make no big moves this year. Not sure what is out there for us this year? For some reason I feel like Hezonja, for example, would be a rushed move. On the other hand it might not be a bad idea to take a chance....

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

This year I think they're likely to be opportunistic in free agency. But next summer when Shumpert, Koufos, Randolph and potentially Temple (if he opts in this year) and Cauley-Stein (if the Kings don't trade him or try to re-sign him) would all be free agents and open up $42 million in caproom the Kings could be real players.

my guess is they stand pat in free agency or at least make no big moves this year. Not sure what is out there for us this year? For some reason I feel like Hezonja, for example, would be a rushed move. On the other hand it might not be a bad idea to take a chance....
Paul George a max deal? all-in I dunno, wouldn't sign..... Or maybe Aaron Gordon (not to the max, but a solid 3-4 year deal)?

I think it’s a reasonable risk in a 12-8-8 option at 10 kind of contract.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

FYI - THIS is a totally different question. I get that you don't like the other one, so I've split this off into its own thread.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think it's a conservative signing... I'm guessing Hezonja.
This is the obvious fall back signing. I had heard it rumored we had a line on someone that would please the average fan, I don't think Hezonja qualifies for that tag. So I'm interested to see who it is.

14 days from now... so it was Hezonja all along, eh? :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Request: We have a thread in the Personnel Moves forum about potential free agents. Could we maybe keep this one about the initial question? If not, I'll most likely just end up merging the two. Thanks.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
For my money, we should try to acquire an impact player that who can handle the bulk of the load at the starting 3 spot. If we don't do that this year, we're going to have to do it next year. I am not sure if a trade for someone like Porter is better than spending boatloads of cash but it's an obvious need, it won't take minutes away from our core, and none of the guys we are counting on are ever going to play more than spot minutes in that role. Since the tank is complete, or at least gives us no benefit next year, yes we should go all in on that right now.

Absolutely not. Try to get a bargain FA and if not we should stand pat and wait for next summer where it's possible that even less teams will have cap.

I think there will be a temptation to add some vet, given some pressure Vlade/Dave must be feeling, and the fact that we don't have a pick next year. However, I think the wisest move would be to stand pat, and keep the cap space as well as the roster spot.

We have so many young kids who need time for us to evaluate. Plus, we need to find some time for some of the vets to potentially interest other teams. We have tons of expiring contracts, plus some tradeable young players and future picks. It's quite likely that some team at the deadline will feel it is under-performing, or that the performance is not worth the luxury tax bill (e.g., Wizards with Porter). Some star may want a change in scenery, etc. We are actually in a good position to make a trade at that time. Both the money and roster spot will be better used there.

VF moved my post about Mario Hezonja to the Hezonja thread in the Personnel Moves forum. Which is fine. But for those who avoid the Personnel Moves forum as I do, you might be interested in this excellent analysis of Hezonja by Dashiell Nusbaum. It's entitled:
Mario Hezonja: Better Than A Horse (I swear)
https://medium.com/push-the-pace/mario-hezonja-better-than-a-horse-i-swear-e4b51e448689
Needless to say, my take on Hezonja is now very different. I can see where he hasn't been given the chance to succeed, whereas we could give him that opportunity.

please stop spending money in FA. Vlade has had horrible signings that have not panned out. There's no reason to damage our cap this year and take away all of young player's PT.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
please stop spending money in FA. Vlade has had horrible signings that have not panned out. There's no reason to damage our cap this year and take away all of young player's PT.
If we want to win more than 30 games this season we can't do that without addressing the SF position. That won't take away from any of the young core. I don't care how stupidly cliché 3 and D has become, but given that Fox/Buddy/Bogs/Bags/Giles are going to get a ton of minutes we need someone out there who is a capable defender and if they can shoot that would also be nice. We don't need to break the bank to do this, and we'll still be able to sign someone when all the vet contracts come off the books next year. However next year is going to be a lot more competitive and so we can sign someone without breaking the bank this year and hopefully they are worth keeping.

If we want to win more than 30 games this season we can't do that without addressing the SF position. That won't take away from any of the young core. I don't care how stupidly cliché 3 and D has become, but given that Fox/Buddy/Bogs/Bags/Giles are going to get a ton of minutes we need someone out there who is a capable defender and if they can shoot that would also be nice. We don't need to break the bank to do this, and we'll still be able to sign someone when all the vet contracts come off the books next year. However next year is going to be a lot more competitive and so we can sign someone without breaking the bank this year and hopefully they are worth keeping.
There just isn't any legitimate SF available out there. I don't know how many people watched Hezonja, but he's not a SF, he's a PF. Rodney Hood is a 6'8 SG, you're better off putting Bogdan on SFs if that's the case. The only legitimate SFs I see in FA are: Rudy, Ariza(33yrs), and McDermott. Would you want to give any of these guys more than 10mpy?

Saw your comment first and decided to address the part about SF's. Didn't Shumpert opt in? Who are we going to throw money at that is so much better than Shumpert that it would be worth it? If we don't win a respectable number of games it wont be because of a hole at SF.

Saw your comment first and decided to address the part about SF's. Didn't Shumpert opt in? Who are we going to throw money at that is so much better than Shumpert that it would be worth it? If we don't win a respectable number of games it wont be because of a hole at SF.
Shumpert has been really crap as of late he's basically what Matt Barnes (in Sacramento) was in terms of overrated defense and awful % minus the thuggery. Garrett Temple would be ahead of him on my depth chart as a SF if he comes back.

We are not going to get anyone decent signing FA this year only way is through trades and part of "the core" would have to go.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Can he even play? Maybe he's good for the kids. He actually seems to have a positive attitude but it seems like expecting anything on court from him requires a tad more optimism than I have.

I still might chase Capela and use WCS in a Capela S&T. It wouldn’t solve the 3 spot, but Capela might be available depending on what else the Rockets do, would be a tremendous defensive anchor at the 5, and a great culture fit. It would allow Harry to anchor the second unit with Bogi or Buddy, and develop organically.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There just isn't any legitimate SF available out there. I don't know how many people watched Hezonja, but he's not a SF, he's a PF. Rodney Hood is a 6'8 SG, you're better off putting Bogdan on SFs if that's the case. The only legitimate SFs I see in FA are: Rudy, Ariza(33yrs), and McDermott. Would you want to give any of these guys more than 10mpy?
Vogel used Hezonja as a smallball PF but he's definitely a wing in terms of skill set.

He's at his best coming off screens and on catch-and-shoot opportunities. He's also an underrated passer and can make good decisions as the ball handler in the P&R.

He needs to cut down on turnovers and improve his overall decision making but I think never having considtent minutes or a set position with the Magic hurt him in terms of learning to let the game come to him.

He's not good defensively but he's better off guarding guys on the perimeter (he has decent lateral quickness) than matching up with bigger, stronger PFs especially since he doesn't look to have added a ton of strength since entering the league.

Last edited: