DeMar DeRozan Rumor

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

There's a lot less smoke on this than the Brandon Ingram pursuit, but I actually like this idea so I think it deserves it's own thread. :)

DeRozan isn't a defensive upgrade but he'd be a perfect mentor for Keegan Murray as he looks to expand his mid-range iso scoring skillset. He's still producing at an elite level (17th in PPG in each of the last two seasons) and he was runner up for the Clutch Player of the Year award this year and 3rd in voting last year (finishing second overall in clutch points scored in both seasons). Between him and De'Aaron we'd figure to have the most clutch team in the league right?

We'd still need to add a defensive big and probably a defensive minded backup up SF but there needn't be any worry about the Kings going down in a hail of missed fourth quarter three pointers next season with DeMar on the team. The more I think about, the more DeRozan feels like the perfect fit for where we are in our development. He could take Barnes' spot in the starting lineup or help anchor the bench unit with Malik and he's at just the right age to be a veteran leader and slowly fade out of a primary role just as Murray, Ellis, and Carter are ready to increase their roles.

Last edited:
Yeah, if DeRozan can be acquired in a sign and trade for some combination of salary and just one pick going out, I might prefer that to caving and dealing two picks for Kuzma (which might be Monte’s fallback plan if he can’t land a bigger name).

Still doesn’t address some glaring weaknesses but we can definitely use another scorer like Demar that can take over games when Fox/Monk aren’t cooking and the DHO is stalled

Go get me Beef Stew and DeRozan and I’ll be pretty confident
Yeah, I still haven’t had time to do a deep dive postmortem on 23-24 but to me the offense taking a step back and stalling out was a bigger problem than the defense.

I would do this deal:
Kings get DeRozan (35 years old but solid stats and PERS)
Bulls get Huerter (I heard Bulls fans like him) + Duarte or Jalen McDaniels + 1st round pick

This will give DeRozan the money he wanted since nobody has the cap space.

After that, Kings should deal Barnes for Kuzma since it would be hard to match Ingram's salary unless you add Trey Lyle and Duarte + a couple first rounds. Or maybe just keep Barnes and suffer the consequences of lack of defense because I don't think Kuzma is any better than Barnes.

Last edited:
DeRozan is a clutch offensive player that is great in isolation. However, he is not a three point shooter and would affect our spacing on offense. He is not a good wing defender and we may lose the gains that we got with Keon in the starting lineup. I like DeRozan but not sure about the fit with our team. He is definitely a talent upgrade over HB and Kevin. It might make sense just from a reliable bucket getter perspective. Could be a good asset depending on the cost.

Last edited:
I would do this deal:
Kings get DeRozan
Bulls get Huerter (I heard Bulls fans like him) + Duarte or Jalen McDaniels + 1st round pick

After that, Kings should deal Barnes for Kuzma since it would be hard to match Ingram's salary unless you add Trey Lyle and Duarte + a couple first rounds. Or maybe just keep Barnes and suffer the consequences of lack of defense because I don't think Kuzma is any better than Barnes.
I think if you add DeRozan, you are bringing him in as your starting 3, moving Keegan to starting/closing 4, and DeRozan is basically taking Barnes' starting minutes. So I don't think you can then turn around and swing Barnes for a Kuzma or BI type package because there are no minutes for them. You wouldn't be trading Barnes for BI/Kuzma to fill a 30 mpg roster spot because DDR would have taken that. You would be flipping Barnes to fill his new 20 mpg bench spot. I don't think you can have minutes for DDR and Kuzma/BI.

A DDR for Huerter roster would basically look like:

Fox (32) / Carter (16)
Ellis (20) /Monk (28)
DDR (28)/ Keegan (16) / Ellis (4)
Keegan (16)/ Barnes (22)/ Lyles (10)
Sabonis (32)/ Len (10)/ Lyles (6)

Fox, Sabonis, Keegan (32)
DDR, Monk (28)
Ellis (24)
Barnes (22)
Lyles, Carter (16)
Len (10)

Keegan would be your starting and closing 4, but would probably also play significant minutes at 3 to make reasonable minutes for Lyles and Barnes, and also give you some bigger lineups. Barnes would probably thrive in a 20-24 minute role off the bench as a primary scorer with Monk. Lyles would probably see some smallball 5 minutes as well, since Brown never seems to want to play Len more than 8-10 minutes, even when playing well.

So if you brought in DDR you would either move Barnes to the bench (as above) or you would try to trade him for a role player upgrade (someone who might bring defense, size, and shooting as a backup 4.) If we added DDR, I would rather see about trading Barnes and/or Lyles for a guy like DFS or Beef Stew, and then having that guy be your 24 minute backup 4.

I would do this deal:
Kings get DeRozan (35 years old but solid stats and PERS)

I don't think we need to include any 1st round picks in a sign and trade for DeRozan. Huerter and salary cap filler and maybe a 2nd rounder should be enough, since he wasn't going to re-sign with the Bulls anyway and this is just a way for them to get some value back for assisting in a sign and trade. Look at the sign and trade for Klay Thompson, no 1st round picks should be included.

While he is an older option, he is a total workhorse in the mold of HB. Check out his games played and minutes per game over the course of his career in comparison to Ingram and Lauri.
DeRozen is way better than Barnes. His PER stats is off the charge. Barnes's PER is around 13 or 14 and DeRozen is around 19 or 20 (that's a superstar level). The thing is his 3pt shooting percentage is just average...he doesn't shoot a lot of 3, mostly 2 and they're effective. Everything else he does is just better than Barnes including defense.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
DeRozan may be feeling a squeeze before too long. It sounds as if, as much as Chicago has said they're willing to facilitate a S&T for DDR, they probably don't actually want any assets back, because that would push them into the tax (they're about $13M from the tax as it stands now). Well, if that's the case, then they've got to find another team(s) to take up the S&T salary coming back into cap space. Enter Detroit and Utah, the only teams with meaningful cap space.

So in order to pull off a S&T with DDR, the Bulls are going to have to convince either Detroit or Utah or both to take on salary, and neither the Bulls nor the Pistons/Jazz have much incentive to do so. Which means that incentive comes from us (or from Miami, or whoever S&Ts for DDR). And it means that things get complicated, because there are suddenly 4 or 5 parties involved (Kings, Bulls, DDR, Det/Utah/both).

It's probably at least as complicated of a deal as any potential Ingram deal, which involves Kings, Pelicans, Ingram (extension negotiations), and an unknown third team to take one of the Kings' pieces and send a C to New Orleans.

Either way, DDR's insistence on not taking the MLE might end up not working out for him if Detroit/Utah don't play ball.

I think DeRozen would be a very good acquisition. Still solid production and he has respect around the league. Correct me if i’m wrong but don’t refs take us out of games, I don’t see a bunch of tacky calls against him.
Also think he would bring a lot to the Kings without including outrageous draft capital.

Haynes said he is not even considering an MLE. If I had to guess he wants a Klay type deal
My guess would be that he would want something close to what he made on his last contract which is about $28-29 mil/ year. So, I'm guessing it's going to take Huerter and Lyles (or HB and Duarte) contract (for salary match) and about $83-87million/3 years to get a deal done.

Last edited:
My guess would be that he would want something close to what he made on his last contract which is about $28-29 mil/ year. So, I'm guessing it's going to take Huerter (or HB)and Lyles (or Duarte) contract (for salary match) and about $83-87million/3 years to get a deal done.
Sounds about right but Capt. Factorial just made a point above, unfortunately it’s too early here in Australia for me to process.

My guess would be that he would want something close to what he made on his last contract which is about $28-29 mil/ year. So, I'm guessing it's going to take Huerter and Lyles (or HB and Duarte) contract (for salary match) and about $83-87million/3 years to get a deal done.
What he wants is irrelevant. He can only get what teams have to pay. Right now it looks like the MLE if Chicago won't do a sign and trade and go over the cap.

What he wants is irrelevant. He can only get what teams have to pay. Right now it looks like the MLE if Chicago won't do a sign and trade and go over the cap.
Yeah, if he takes the MLE from someone, we are sunk. Big name players always go to the high profile teams like Lakers or Miami when the money is equal. If we are not able to offer more money, then we aren't going to get him :(

How about this deal:
Kings get: DeRozen, Ingram
Bulls get: Duarte, McDaniels, Huerter 1st round
Pelicans: Barnes, Vucevic 1st round

Bulls get 2 expired contracts and Huerter they like. Get a 1st round for shipping out Vucevic
Pelicans get Barnes and a center they want plus 1st round
Kings get DeRozen in around $19-20mil contract (which is better than $5mil vet from Lakers) and absorb Ingram's contract. Hopefully, this doesn't get them over the tax apron

Last edited:
Bulls would not do that because the Huerter and Lyles contracts will put them over the tax apron (which they DO NOT WANT). Hell, EVEN Huerter ALONE would put them over the 1st tax apron, but they can resolve it by shipping a player from the Bulls back to the Kings.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
How about this deal:
Kings get: DeRozen, Ingram
Bulls get: Duarte, McDaniels, Huerter 1st round
Pelicans: Barnes, Vucevic 1st round

Bulls get 2 expired contracts and Huerter they like. Get a 1st round for shipping out Vucevic
Pelicans get Barnes and a center they want plus 1st round
Kings get DeRozen in around $19-20mil contract and Ingram. Hopefully, this doesn't get them over the tax apron
I'm not sure if this works, technically. Also, I don't think the other teams get enough. As a Kings fan though, I like it.

So i just want to clause this by saying while I like Derozan, I dont think he is a good fit for this team, BUUUT maybe im missing something and you guys can correct me, but from what I can tell, the Bulls currently have $128M committed. The 1st tax apron is $178M, could they not sign DDR to say $20M/yr x 3 ($60M total) and trade him and filler (say Torey Craig) and we send them Huerter and two 2nds? Puts them at 142. They can then sign back Patrick Williams for up to $30M and still be below the tax apron. We take on $5M in extra salary yes, but we get a long wing who is a good shooter and ok defender (at this stage) who was historically a very good defender, but we can mitigate that by waiving our option on Duarte.

Fox/Carter
Ellis/Monk
DDR/Barnes/Craig
Keegan/Barnes/Lyles
Sabonis/Lyles/Len

That is a long team with DDR and Keegan switching on defense (Keegan guarding the wing and DDR guarding the 4)

I'm not sure if this works, technically. Also, I don't think the other teams get enough. As a Kings fan though, I like it.
I think the other teams get enough. Bulls is at risk for getting NOTHING if DeRozen walk and sign with a team for vet mininum. So, they must do trade to get something back.

The Pelicans is getting Barnes, a center and 1st round for removing Ingram's contract.

Last edited:
Complete NO to Demar from me. Yes, he can score. Taking scoring chances from his teammates. He never passes or plays any defense. Any SG under the contract with Kings is a better choice. Let him play as SF??? Nuts.