Deadline dates for player options?

So Kings Have 3 players with Player Options

Shumpert,Kosta, Temple 27 mil

And Also Have Bruno Who might recieve a Qualifying Offer 4 mil

We have 9 players under contract Zbo,Fox,WCS,Buddy,JJ,Giles,Skal,Mason at 43mil
If you add 2 draft picks at 7 mil

That could use all 15 roster spots at 81 mil?

Can anyone look up the Deadlines for the 3 player options?
I guess that some players can formally opt in/out ealier
Look like they have to decide prior to July 1 FA date
Rudy had his option expire June 12

Is their a date when a QO has to be made for Bruno?
These options could have an impact on both the Draft and FA

• Earlier of two days before the 2018 NBA draft or two days after NBA Finals — Player option for Kosta Koufos.
  • 6/29/18 — Player option for Garrett Temple.
  • 10/31/18 — Team options on Skal Labissiere, Georgios Papagiannis, Buddy Hield, Justin Jackson, De’Aaron Fox, Harry Giles and Malachi Richardson.

Last edited:
Sorta looks like we only know about Kosta before the draft for sure

Of course Shump and Temple could Officially opt in or out earlier than the deadline

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There are about 4 different scenarios depending on what the players do. The bottom line is, if for some reason all four players (Caboclo, Koufos, Shumpert, and Temple end up being on the team next season, the Kings will have a tad over 22 mil in capspace. If they decide not to make a qualifying offer to Caboclo, then the capspace goes up to just over 25.5 mil. I can't imagine any of the other three opting out in a year when most teams won't have any money to spend, but if just one does, then the King capspace will be over 33 mil, depending on who it is. For instance, if Shumpert were to opt out, he would take us to over 36 mil.

If for some ridiculous reason all three were to opt out, which won't happen, we would have more money to spend than any team in the NBA, except maybe the Lakers, depending on what they do.

There are about 4 different scenarios depending on what the players do. The bottom line is, if for some reason all four players (Caboclo, Koufos, Shumpert, and Temple end up being on the team next season, the Kings will have a tad over 22 mil in capspace. If they decide not to make a qualifying offer to Caboclo, then the capspace goes up to just over 25.5 mil. I can't imagine any of the other three opting out in a year when most teams won't have any money to spend, but if just one does, then the King capspace will be over 33 mil, depending on who it is. For instance, if Shumpert were to opt out, he would take us to over 36 mil.

If for some ridiculous reason all three were to opt out, which won't happen, we would have more money to spend than any team in the NBA, except maybe the Lakers, depending on what they do.
but if all three vets opt in and Kings make QO to Bruno
the 22 mil would prob reduced by 6-7 mil for our two draft picks
more importantly we would have 15 roster spots and 15 mil cap space left?
I suppose we could do a trade that frees up someone else cap space
or dont spend on Bruno to go after someone in FA

We could potentially keep the cap space and see if any team wants to dump salary at trade deadline and give some assets in return. We'll also have a bunch of decent vets expiring on very reasonable deals, that teams could rent for playoffs. We don't have to meet the cap or even the floor till the trade deadline, so there's no real rush.

I doubt we'll sit on our space though. Since we don't have a first round pick in 2019, team will try to win. While the correct course would be to continue developing the kids (Giles/first round pick in particular), no front office wants to look bad by giving a high draft pick to another team. So, chances are we will see more of Randolph, Temple, Kosta, new FA signee, than Giles/new kid.

In a way, sad that we're discussing next year's roster, while we haven't hit the all star game mark for this year :-(

We could potentially keep the cap space and see if any team wants to dump salary at trade deadline and give some assets in return. We'll also have a bunch of decent vets expiring on very reasonable deals, that teams could rent for playoffs. We don't have to meet the cap or even the floor till the trade deadline, so there's no real rush.

I doubt we'll sit on our space though. Since we don't have a first round pick in 2019, team will try to win. While the correct course would be to continue developing the kids (Giles/first round pick in particular), no front office wants to look bad by giving a high draft pick to another team. So, chances are we will see more of Randolph, Temple, Kosta, new FA signee, than Giles/new kid.

In a way, sad that we're discussing next year's roster, while we haven't hit the all star game mark for this year :-(
It cant rain all the time- Eric Draven

bajaden

Hall of Famer
but if all three vets opt in and Kings make QO to Bruno
the 22 mil would prob reduced by 6-7 mil for our two draft picks
more importantly we would have 15 roster spots and 15 mil cap space left?
I suppose we could do a trade that frees up someone else cap space
or dont spend on Bruno to go after someone in FA
Don't forget that Carter's contract ends after this season. So even if the Kings pick up Caboclo's option, they'll still only have 13 players under contract. However, I'd be surprised if the Kings were to pick up the option. They'll get a short look at him in what's left of the season, and even if they like what they see, I think they'll let him become an unrestricted free agent, and then might make a lesser offer in a weak money market. Or not!. They do have a 2nd rd pick, but they could use it on a European player and stash him in Europe for a year, or two. That would free up more money for free agency, and leave open another roster spot.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

It's true that we haven't hit the all star game yet, but we have played 55 games, and by the time of the all star we will have played 57 games with only 25 games left. So in essence, we'll have less than a third of the season left. Hope that makes you feel a little better.

I think any future free agent signings will be on talented players with 5 or 6 years experience, instead of more aged veterans like Randolph. The goal of the team is for the free agency period after next season when they'll have a good idea who their young core is. At that point, the Kings will be looking for younger veteran players and longer contracts in the case of those they see as a major part of the team going forward.

As Doug Christie said in a podcast addressing this same subject; When your a young player, you have the drive, but don't have the experience. When your an old player, you have the experience, but don't have the drive. But when your a player around 26 or 27 years of age with 5 or 6 years in the league, you have the drive, and the experience. The trick is to find talented players whose skill sets fit the team.