Darius & Mo...

With respect to these two, perhaps Geoff Petrie is waiting for the upcoming amnesty deadline of 8/15?

Both are restricted FA's, so why not wait and see who may become available? After all, the Kings can match any offer made for either player by other NBA teams.

Petrie is playing the waiting game.

What good GM wouldn't?...

SactoGreg said:
With respect to these two, perhaps Geoff Petrie is waiting for the upcoming amnesty deadline of 8/15?

Both are restricted FA's, so why not wait and see who may become available? After all, the Kings can match any offer made for either player by other NBA teams.

I've mentioned this in a past thread. Worst thing you can do is to spend your MLE and do trades now, then lose out on some better players being waived. As a matter of fact, some teams may sign these waived players or FA's still out there and bump someone else on their team that can be valuable to us. Petrie has signed the rook backups in Garcia, Hart, and Price + filled the SG spot....he will wait for a while to use the MLE and do a sign&trade for the PF spot.

SactoGreg said:

Also, waiting could lead to the two getting antsy and agreeing to smaller contracts than they initially requested. Both would rather be on a roster then not be. One year away from the league and you might never be able to get back in. We can match, it's to our advantage to wait.

Generally, since the Kings can match, I see no reason not to let the market set the value on both of them. Then the Kings can decide whether they want them at that price, or try to do a sign and trade, if the price is more than the Kings want to pay.

PFFFT!! said:
I've mentioned this in a past thread. Worst thing you can do is to spend your MLE and do trades now, then lose out on some better players being waived. As a matter of fact, some teams may sign these waived players or FA's still out there and bump someone else on their team that can be valuable to us. Petrie has signed the rook backups in Garcia, Hart, and Price + filled the SG spot....he will wait for a while to use the MLE and do a sign&trade for the PF spot.
Hart came into the league in 2001.

I think GP is waiting, but not for amnesty players. Some will be released, but not that many. There are 30 teams in the league, meaning at most 30 more available players. Several teams are under the cap, making the amnesty clause not apply. Others simply have no good candidates. My guess is 12 players at the most will be released. And most of them will look to contenders first, teams with lots of room and GMs willing to shell out cash second, and second-tier teams like the Kings 3rd. I doubt we'll pick up anything great from the amnesty clause. What Geoff is waiting for, I assume, is to see what trade he can pull off, see how negotiations with other FAs go, and see how Mo and Darius fare in their own FA negotiations. Once the trades are completed and we know more what our exact team needs are, Mo and Darius will be addressed. These guys are role players, and not even big impact role players. They do have value, but their relative value means they will be at the bottom of all GMs' to do lists.