Dame asks out

It's been a loveless marriage for at least a few years now. And they've been sticking with each other because no one wants to be transparent and actually tell how each other feels. There are some conversations a couple needs to have, it might be difficult, and it might feel embarrassing, but at the end of the day, it is crucial to have those conversations in order to maintain a healthy relationship.

Now they are on the verge of an ugly breakup, right after the team put down the mortgage on Jerami Grant, all possibly could've been avoided had Dame openly admitted to his feeling... :p

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Miami is a second apron team now, so they couldn't take back any salary in a trade for Lillard.

And no way Portland wants Duncan Robinson's contract. So IF the Blazers ship Dame to the Heat, I think the deal will essentially be:

Lowry (ending contract)
Herro (sent to a 3rd team)
Jovic and/or Jacques (the Heat need to add salary if it's just one of them)
One or more FRPs

For

Lillard
Nurkic

I believe Miami is a second apron team now, so they couldn't take back any salary in a trade for Lillard.

And no way Portland wants Duncan Robinson's contract. So IF the Blazers ship Dame to the Heat, I think the deal will essentially be:

Lowry (ending contract)
Herro (sent to a 3rd team)
Jovic and/or Jacques (the Heat need to add salary if it's just one of them)
One or more FRPs

For

Lillard
Nurkic
From rumours the Heat don't want Nurkic he would have to go to a 3rd team as well.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
national media pumping the Dame should go wherever he wants is sick :( shouldn't have re-signed the mega deal and he's definitely got folks in PDX leaking things to make him the victim. Portland isn't blameless here but it really is appearing that it all came down to whether or not Draymond would sign here which makes some of the other narrative confusing (he asked out the week before, he would have stayed if they traded #3 for a star, he was promised if he sat out the last dozen or however many games last year to get a higher pick they would trade it for a start, etc. etc.).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Dame signing the deal, being all high and mighty about being a Blazer forever only to follow it was a trade demand to one spot and one spot only is so gross.

Like I don’t care about the trade demand at all. It’s not working. Portland is obviously going a younger direction, and their direction even at peak Dame years wasn’t good enough.

But to pull this nonsense is absolute trash.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Dame signing the deal, being all high and mighty about being a Blazer forever only to follow it was a trade demand to one spot and one spot only is so gross.

Like I don’t care about the trade demand at all. It’s not working. Portland is obviously going a younger direction, and their direction even at peak Dame years wasn’t good enough.

But to pull this nonsense is absolute trash.
I was kinda surprised he signed the deal and didn't ask out last year tbh.

My opinion of him is at an all time low. He's basically KD without the decency to do it during free agency. It's fine in this day and age but for a guy who basically traded on being old-school, F ring culture, loyal to the loyal, etc. he can kick rocks. Also Miami acting like they don't have to offer Jaquez and can force bad contracts on Portland is sick. They are somehow trying to get away with trading for a star while being the team salary dumping. If they pull this off I will be madder than I was about the decision. Still think getting Toronto to trade Barnes is the best deal but I guess Barnes does not want to play the 3. Does that even matter in positionless basketball though? He's not being asked to be a post player. There's just not many good deals out there with all the pillaging that was done in the last few years of star players demanding trades. And yet Dame while a bit older, is generally better than everyone that got a haul except for healthy AD (and maybe healthy KD but I don't think he exists).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Incidentally I know that being a Kings fan has been an exercise in self flagellation for most of the last two decades but the three greatest Blazers of all time asked out with good basketball left in them and two of them have largely had nothing to do with the team since and Dame well on his way to becoming a pariah (support down from like 99% on Saturday to 50-50 over the last 72 hours) while most of the Kings legends keep returning home.

Portland shouldn’t blink on this Miami thing.

Dame really holds zero cards short of instant Rage Quit retirement. Whoever trades for him has him for basically whatever good years he has left. No “I won’t re-sign here” threats. The agent freeze out threats are usually hollow even if Dame’s wasn’t relatively small time. There is only 30 teams.

I think he’ll start the season in Portland

Portland shouldn’t blink on this Miami thing.

Dame really holds zero cards short of instant Rage Quit retirement. Whoever trades for him has him for basically whatever good years he has left. No “I won’t re-sign here” threats. The agent freeze out threats are usually hollow even if Dame’s wasn’t relatively small time. There is only 30 teams.

I think he’ll start the season in Portland
Yeah would he really walk from $200 mil left on his 4 year deal?

If he wasn't a dick and waited until AFTER they committed 160 mil to Jerami Grant, maybe you consider his request and taking less in a trade out of respect. But as far as Im concerned, he gave you a big FU, give him one right back. He's the one who has to play $200 million chicken.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
There was an interesting thread the other day on twitter about player side buy outs that sure would be interesting.

Of course on top of the player buying out their contract I think you would also need to create some kind of draft compensation, whether that is a compensatory draft (between lottery and rest of first round? before the second round?) plus some type of FA allowance given to the team that lost the player.

I was thinking a good formula could be 25% of the highest paid year on current contract * years remaining on the contract. Thus if Dame decided screw it, I'm out - he'd owe the Blazers the 60million or whatever his final year is scheduled to pay out (this would apply to any super max that bolts after only one year).

I don't trust Silver to do anything to fix this but if they do, Dame's legacy in the NBA may wind up being the Dame Lillard rule.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Now he says that he won’t report to any team except Miami. I hope Portland calls his bluff and doesn’t trade him for a ******* Miami offer. What an absolute clown show he’s turned into.

There was an interesting thread the other day on twitter about player side buy outs that sure would be interesting.

Of course on top of the player buying out their contract I think you would also need to create some kind of draft compensation, whether that is a compensatory draft (between lottery and rest of first round? before the second round?) plus some type of FA allowance given to the team that lost the player.

I was thinking a good formula could be 25% of the highest paid year on current contract * years remaining on the contract. Thus if Dame decided screw it, I'm out - he'd owe the Blazers the 60million or whatever his final year is scheduled to pay out (this would apply to any super max that bolts after only one year).

I don't trust Silver to do anything to fix this but if they do, Dame's legacy in the NBA may wind up being the Dame Lillard rule.
This seems like a good idea, but would it prevent players from taking Dame's current approach? Why would players buy themselves out when instead they could gain leverage through threats of sabotage.

I think, given that max extensions are intended to be a special incentive for small market teams to retain their superstars; a certain percentage of the contract shouldn't be transferrable on a trade. Dame on trade would go from being a $50 million/year player to becoming a $30 million/year. Maybe give the player a no-trade clause to balance it out for the player. Make these required features of a max extension.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This seems like a good idea, but would it prevent players from taking Dame's current approach? Why would players buy themselves out when instead they could gain leverage through threats of sabotage.

I think, given that max extensions are intended to be a special incentive for small market teams to retain their superstars; a certain percentage of the contract shouldn't be transferrable on a trade. Dame on trade would go from being a $50 million/year player to becoming a $30 million/year. Maybe give the player a no-trade clause to balance it out for the player. Make these required features of a max extension.
Yeah I've thought reverting the contract to a regular FA deal max would be a good idea too. Maybe in the case of a forced trade like happening now also make the receiving team own the full cap hit too. It seems pretty clear to me even if Miami FO is not officially tampering, Jimmy and Bam are in contact and have gotten to Dame so this needs to be disincetivized as many ways as possible.

As for the buyout, Dame is now claiming through his agent (apparently) he will not report to any team but Miami. If true (one, holy hell nice guy Dame is dead forever) I guess you could sort of require players to buy themselves out in these type of deals. Maybe you change the structure of trades to operate like the football transfer market, or maybe you create a category of "trade under duress" where the buyout comes into play? I don't know. But when you've reached the point where players are holding out with guaranteed contracts something needs to be done. The only American sport where holdouts are wide spread is the NFL and that league most contracts can be ended by the team at any time and contract renegotiations are routine.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Now he says that he won’t report to any team except Miami. I hope Portland calls his bluff and doesn’t trade him for a ******* Miami offer. What an absolute clown show he’s turned into.
was it Ben Simmons that was fined a certain amount for missing or sitting out before getting traded out of Philly?

Yeah I've thought reverting the contract to a regular FA deal max would be a good idea too. Maybe in the case of a forced trade like happening now also make the receiving team own the full cap hit too. It seems pretty clear to me even if Miami FO is not officially tampering, Jimmy and Bam are in contact and have gotten to Dame so this needs to be disincetivized as many ways as possible.

As for the buyout, Dame is now claiming through his agent (apparently) he will not report to any team but Miami. If true (one, holy hell nice guy Dame is dead forever) I guess you could sort of require players to buy themselves out in these type of deals. Maybe you change the structure of trades to operate like the football transfer market, or maybe you create a category of "trade under duress" where the buyout comes into play? I don't know. But when you've reached the point where players are holding out with guaranteed contracts something needs to be done. The only American sport where holdouts are wide spread is the NFL and that league most contracts can be ended by the team at any time and contract renegotiations are routine.
Forced trades are the thing to disincentivize, but it's hard for me to figure out a way to write a rule in text that would specifically target "forced trades".
They wont have to sit him if he holds out they can suspend him.
There's so much that a player with a guaranteed contract can do to sabotage a team while avoiding a suspension. Ball hogging, grenade tossing, matador defense.