Dalembert Now the Starting Center

Given everyone is on favor of this decision, do we just pretend all the "fire Westphal" comments in the game thread didn't happen?

Unbelievable.
Could be that PW's strategy will work out by the end of the story but at this point I still don't like him. I was slow to condemn him, and if that situation changes it most likely won't happen quickly.

Its a great move by the coaching staff. We WILL win more games because of this.

Cousins will be able to get more mins like PW said which means his stats will most likely be better and he will get to learn the ropes by going through some 2nd units. He'll most likely be finishing games on offense like the Raptors game.

Thats a great call and was very needed imo.

boogie is gonna pound on those 2nd tier bigs on other teams and get his groove on better aswell.
You have vision my friend. Maybe many here thought this, but you wrote it. I fully agree that DMC is going to Reke-Havoc [sorry, I couldn't help myself] with tired starters and Center Subs. Good call by the coach and I too like Cousins vocal acceptance on his new role.

Forget ROY it doesn't matter, as long as he keeps improving and doing his thing it's all good. I like Dally starting, really enjoyed seeing his man defense, rebounding and shotblocking. Better fit with Landry starting and we really need better starts defensivly more than anything. Great move all around.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I like this move. Carl/Cousins don't compliment each other so if we are going to start Carl at the 4, might as well put a shotblocker/rebounder in there to cancel each other out. Cousins off the bench is the best for him at this point, he needs to watch from the bench a bit and watch how it's done on defense. Move your feet, put your hands in the air and attempt to block shots when there is an opportunity. He can give us that spark off the bench with Cisco and co. and they could throw the ball to him in the box and he can get us shots. Also, this may mean we won't have slow starts on defense anymore, Dalembert can D up the big and patrol the paint. We can hopefully play a game where we don't have to be down 15+ and either be in it all the way or have the lead. Good move by Westphal.

props to boogie for how he handled this, hes the future he knows it and this way he can take a step back and enter game situations at his most effective as opposed to feeling around and attempting to assert himself early. Dally and Landry is solid combination also and lets landry get back to doing what he does best, scoring

Not only does moving Dalembert into the starting rotation help Cousins, it also helps Landry. Landry needs help in the post defending stronger PF's. Dalembert's weak side defensive help will complement Landry, and they will be better able to defend in the paint with Dalembert in the game. Cousins will build up momentum off the bench. He will play against the lesser lights in the NBA at center, so he wont get as many ticky tack fouls called against him. Big CUZ will be able to get a good rhythm going against the 2's and maybe even see more minutes because he gets less fouls. I would love to have back to back ROY's, but I'll be satisfied with a Rookie Center that gets better and better every week. Cousins getting better and being molded into a starting NBA center is much more important than any individual awards. Cuz is going to get better. He has a lot of tools to perform at a high level in the NBA. He is quite athletic for his size, and he should give 2nd tier centers fitz when he is in there. And seeing as how Cuz is still trying to build up stamina and increase his wind, this is the best way to get Cuz in game shape for later in the year. I am hoping that Cuz feasts on bench minutes, cuts down on fouls and increases his minutes with his strong play around the rim. It is easier to regulate his game minutes in a backup role. I read his comments regarding his moving to 2nd string and I found the comments refreshing and mature! The kid has bought into the Kings system, and I just love his attitude of team first! Those morons who came out before the draft knocking this kidz character were WAY off base! He is truly just a big KID! He may not be totally mature yet, but he will become mature over time. One last thing. Is Donte Greene DONE on the Kings ? They could have desperately used Green for his defensive abilities against the Fakers. Greene has played great defense against the Fakers in the past, and I was sure Greene would get some playing time against them. Is Donte THAT badly out of shape? Greene needs to get on a treadmill or something and get back in shape to play NBA Basketball. Greene is heading down a slippery slope. I hope that this benching is just temporary, and that PW finds a way to work Greene into the lineup and get him a few minutes in game situations. Greene still has upside to become a good SF. He is taller than Casspi and if he could just use his size to get more reb's and play good defense while hitting those short corner 3's, he would get more playing time. I wonder if he is gonna get the chance now, seeing how the coach is treating him like end of the bench garbage. Darnell Jackson is getting minutes and Greene is still riding pine? This does not bode well for Donte. Maybe the Kings are looking to trade Greene? For a backup 2 guard who can shoot from outside? We could certainly use a sharp shooting 2 to really stretch the defense. Luther Head is NOT the answer! That dude is a HEAD case! Pun Intended! Head has lost his confidence and cant hit shots anymore. No reason to keep running him out there to launch bricks at the backboard. Lets hope the Kings develop a good rotation and are able to use the new starting lineup with Dally to start games stronger and not get into the 15-20 point hole they have been getting in every game. If the Kings can avoid those defensive lapses, hit their free throws, and just play solid Ball, they are gonna win their fair share of games. I see 35-40 wins with this team if they continue to grow and get better. Cousins is only gonna get better. And we have yet to develop Whiteside! Our time is coming. GO KINGS!

What a deparure from the last few years! Oh, our blue chip rookie has been playing good at C. But now our shot blocking defensive goalie center is back and he will start:) So we will just bring the young fella off the bench and let him mash the other teams second unit.

Dally and Cuz are a pretty darn good 1 - 2 punch at C. Even Gasol was looking a little ragged dealing with these two:)

KB

Last edited:
L

LWP777

This whole "watch how the refs are calling it" thing has no substance to it. First, all the referees are held to the same standards and are expected to call fouls based on the NBA's guidelines and rules. Of course, some referees are better than others and some may call a game slightly different but it's not enough to even notice. If there is a game that seems to have a lot of fouls called then its because the players are likely fouling a lot. Simple. Secondly, if anybody here really thinks Cousins is capable of "adjusting" his game based on how he thinks a game is being called, you're fooling yourself. I love the kid, but right now he isn't close to that. He plays 23 minutes a game and has 5 fouls most of the time.

That be his one year career long pattern at KU, correct???;) Don't take it personal just having fun. I saw the Big Cuz sucking wind after some extended time so I know from where you speak.

I love this move of Dally starting. I also think Cousins will see plenty of playing time. His attitude is great to see and right on. Watch how the refs are calling it and play accordingly.

KB

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not only does moving Dalembert into the starting rotation help Cousins, it also helps Landry. Landry needs help in the post defending stronger PF's. Dalembert's weak side defensive help will complement Landry, and they will be better able to defend in the paint with Dalembert in the game. Cousins will build up momentum off the bench. He will play against the lesser lights in the NBA at center, so he wont get as many ticky tack fouls called against him. Big CUZ will be able to get a good rhythm going against the 2's and maybe even see more minutes because he gets less fouls. I would love to have back to back ROY's, but I'll be satisfied with a Rookie Center that gets better and better every week. Cousins getting better and being molded into a starting NBA center is much more important than any individual awards. Cuz is going to get better. He has a lot of tools to perform at a high level in the NBA. He is quite athletic for his size, and he should give 2nd tier centers fitz when he is in there. And seeing as how Cuz is still trying to build up stamina and increase his wind, this is the best way to get Cuz in game shape for later in the year. I am hoping that Cuz feasts on bench minutes, cuts down on fouls and increases his minutes with his strong play around the rim. It is easier to regulate his game minutes in a backup role. I read his comments regarding his moving to 2nd string and I found the comments refreshing and mature! The kid has bought into the Kings system, and I just love his attitude of team first! Those morons who came out before the draft knocking this kidz character were WAY off base! He is truly just a big KID! He may not be totally mature yet, but he will become mature over time. One last thing. Is Donte Greene DONE on the Kings ? They could have desperately used Green for his defensive abilities against the Fakers. Greene has played great defense against the Fakers in the past, and I was sure Greene would get some playing time against them. Is Donte THAT badly out of shape? Greene needs to get on a treadmill or something and get back in shape to play NBA Basketball. Greene is heading down a slippery slope. I hope that this benching is just temporary, and that PW finds a way to work Greene into the lineup and get him a few minutes in game situations. Greene still has upside to become a good SF. He is taller than Casspi and if he could just use his size to get more reb's and play good defense while hitting those short corner 3's, he would get more playing time. I wonder if he is gonna get the chance now, seeing how the coach is treating him like end of the bench garbage. Darnell Jackson is getting minutes and Greene is still riding pine? This does not bode well for Donte. Maybe the Kings are looking to trade Greene? For a backup 2 guard who can shoot from outside? We could certainly use a sharp shooting 2 to really stretch the defense. Luther Head is NOT the answer! That dude is a HEAD case! Pun Intended! Head has lost his confidence and cant hit shots anymore. No reason to keep running him out there to launch bricks at the backboard. Lets hope the Kings develop a good rotation and are able to use the new starting lineup with Dally to start games stronger and not get into the 15-20 point hole they have been getting in every game. If the Kings can avoid those defensive lapses, hit their free throws, and just play solid Ball, they are gonna win their fair share of games. I see 35-40 wins with this team if they continue to grow and get better. Cousins is only gonna get better. And we have yet to develop Whiteside! Our time is coming. GO KINGS!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You have vision my friend. Maybe many here thought this, but you wrote it. I fully agree that DMC is going to Reke-Havoc [sorry, I couldn't help myself] with tired starters and Center Subs. Good call by the coach and I too like Cousins vocal acceptance on his new role.
Ahemmm! Go back and read post number 9....

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This whole "watch how the refs are calling it" thing has no substance to it. First, all the referees are held to the same standards and are expected to call fouls based on the NBA's guidelines and rules. Of course, some referees are better than others and some may call a game slightly different but it's not enough to even notice. If there is a game that seems to have a lot of fouls called then its because the players are likely fouling a lot. Simple. Secondly, if anybody here really thinks Cousins is capable of "adjusting" his game based on how he thinks a game is being called, you're fooling yourself. I love the kid, but right now he isn't close to that. He plays 23 minutes a game and has 5 fouls most of the time.
I'm going to disagee a little bit. Whether Cousins has the ability to judge how a game is being called and adjusting to it is a separate issue from whether some ref's call the game different than others. Ref's are human beings, and they all have different personalities, and perhaps a different vision of the rules. Add in the physiciality of certain players, and you will have some games being officiated differently than others. I believe that some ref's lean more toward letting the players play the game, while others tend to call the game tighter.

So I do think it can be helpful to sit on the bench and get a feel for how the game is being called. Now how a player is able to use that information is another thing altogether. We'll see..

I'm glad that the "Cousins must start immediately!" rhetoric of this summer has taken a break.
It's the broader realization that he will play as much in this capacity than if he started, given his tendency to pick up quick fouls early in the game. heck, he might even play more

I really like that we have 2 different centers with very different gifts, rather than 2 centers with very different glaring inadequacies

Nice thing about this, we don't have to discuss it. We can just watch it play out over the next several games:)

KB

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It's the broader realization that he will play as much in this capacity than if he started, given his tendency to pick up quick fouls early in the game. heck, he might even play more

I really like that we have 2 different centers with very different gifts, rather than 2 centers with very different glaring inadequacies
all of this was brought up earlier and immediately dismissed as potentially causing serious harm to the rookie big man because he wasn't "starting" - funny how things change.....

I will like it more if it could be shown that playing both at the same time can work wonders.

Our best BIG defensive machine and our best BIG offensive machine and also both being our best rebounding machine - the thought of them co-existing at the same time in games just makes me drool.