Cuz named to Select Team

Arkitect said:
The difference is that Howard and Bynum need someone to set them up to score at that rate. DMC is one of the only big men in the league where you can dump it down to him on the low block and let him go to work. That is an incredibly rare skill. Once he figures it all out, he will be an automatic 2 points whenever it is needed.
The majority of Howard and Bynum's offense comes from post-up, one-on-one situations. It's not as if they are dunking lobs all day, or having Steve Nash thread perfect passes to them inside. They may have a narrower offensive repertoire than Cousins, but they do a better job with what they do have.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Like PPG and RPG stats mean anything when comparing the 2 players. Cousins plays far more minutes and is given the ball much more often. Favors played much, much better the second half of the season, especially on the defensive end.
Per 36:
11-12 Cousins 21.4pts (.448 .702) 13.0reb 1.9ast 1.7stl 1.4blk 3.1TO
11-12 DFavors 14.9pts (.499 .649) 11.1reb 1.1ast 1.0stl 1.7blk 2.7TO

Meanwhile Player A starts, is often doubled, certainly draws the other team's toughest interior defender, while player B comes off the bench, is maybe his team's 5th option, and plays most of his minutes against reserves. Player B intrigues me. Player A is a monster in the making.

P.S.
Per 36:
11-12 KeLove 24.0pts (.448 .824) 12.3reb 1.9ast 0.8stl 0.5blk 2.1TO

Per 36:

Meanwhile Player A starts, is often doubled, certainly draws the other team's toughest interior defender, while player B comes off the bench, is maybe his team's 5th option, and plays most of his minutes against reserves. Player B intrigues me. Player A is a monster in the making.

P.S.
Per 36:
Yeah, Cousins shoots more, I said that. Not sure why you think one is a monster in the making. Especially since one of them play completely disinterested defense and the other doesn't.

Meanwhile Player b has to compete for shots and rebounds with Al Jefferson and Paul Milsap. Player A gets to shoot whenever he touches the ball as there is no real offensive sets and no real expectations of winning so there are no consequences for shooting 45% as a center. Player B's team did go to the playoffs and made a long playoff push playing meaningful minutes both on the road and at home in games that mattered. Player A wouldn't start in front of Al Jefferson on Player B's team.

P.S.
Neither Kevin Love nor DMC are dominate big men. Dominate big men don't miss the playoffs in their second season and they shoot over 50%.

DMC has the same potential as Favors. Both are young, good and getting better. Their games are different but both help their teams win and are going to be the building blocks for the future of their teams. It should be fun for the next 10 years or so.

Yeah, Cousins shoots more, I said that. Not sure why you think one is a monster in the making. Especially since one of them play completely disinterested defense and the other doesn't.
So the guy that lead the league in taking charges is disinterested in defense. Hate to see how many he takes if he becomes interested.

I can totally understand the view that there are players out there that would be more suitable for team USA than Cousins. Derrick Favors isnt one of them. It doesnt take a stat comparison to figure out who the superior player is. Since when is Derrick Favors relevant at all? Draft night 2010.

I can totally understand the view that there are players out there that would be more suitable for team USA than Cousins. Derrick Favors isnt one of them. It doesnt take a stat comparison to figure out who the superior player is. Since when is Derrick Favors relevant at all? Draft night 2010.
I think you are underestimating Favors here. Cousins is certainly the superior player, but between Cuz and Favors I think Favors is more suitable for team USA. Between Favors and Anthony Davis Davis is more suitable. Heck you know who would probably fit well on team USA? Our very own Thomas Robinson!

Meanwhile Player b has to compete for shots and rebounds with Al Jefferson and Paul Milsap. Player A gets to shoot whenever he touches the ball as there is no real offensive sets and no real expectations of winning so there are no consequences for shooting 45% as a center. Player B's team did go to the playoffs and made a long playoff push playing meaningful minutes both on the road and at home in games that mattered. Player A wouldn't start in front of Al Jefferson on Player B's team.

P.S.
Neither Kevin Love nor DMC are dominate big men. Dominate big men don't miss the playoffs in their second season and they shoot over 50%.

DMC has the same potential as Favors. Both are young, good and getting better. Their games are different but both help their teams win and are going to be the building blocks for the future of their teams. It should be fun for the next 10 years or so.
Guys I think we needn't argue anymore. Our buddy here says Kevin Love isn't a dominant big man, the same guy touted by Charles Barkley, a HOF 'big', as the best PF in the NBA now.

"Dominant big men don't miss the playoffs in their second season and they shoot over 50%". Get this, my dominant big man in mind made the playoffs in his second season, and shot 60% in his second season. He had another season later on his career shooting 60% and his team again made it to the second round of the playoffs.

Yes, kingsfans, I present to you the most dominant big man of the last decade, Mikki Moore!

Bricklayer

P.S.
Neither Kevin Love nor DMC are dominate big men.
Oddly the NBA types who voted Love 2nd team All NBA don't seem to agree with you. Imagine that.

Dominate big men don't miss the playoffs in their second season and they shoot over 50%.
Good points!

I mean, other than guys like Dirk, Webber, Mourning, Howard, McDyess etc. who missed the playoffs in their second year its a near universal.

And other than guys like Webber (career .479), Dirk (.476), Moses (.491), Garnett (.498).), some dude named Bill Russel (.440) etc. etc. all dominant big men shoot 50+% percent. Well, except for Kevin Love who apparently became the first big man in history to average 26.0pts 13.3rebs a game in non-dominating fashion.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Per 36:

P.S.
Per 36:
Favors was given limited minutes off the bench for most of the season while Cousins has no real competition at the starting C spot on our team and was made a primary focal point of the offense. It's not really a fair comparison. And besides that, you know that defensive players do a lot of things to help your team which don't always show up in the box score. Isn't that what you've been saying for weeks when it became clear we were targeting Thomas Robinson instead of Andre Drummond? If you're looking for a versatile bigman who can score, pass, rebound, and intimidate the other team's frontcourt with sheer physicality than you take Cousins. If you think your scoring is pretty much set already with Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Melo, etc and you just want an active defender in the post to spell Chandler for stretches, maybe you'd be right to consider Favors. But that's only if he shows he's ready for it in the scrimmages.

Npliam, like I said before I'm not sure what your angle is. If you're trying to convince us that Favors is better than Cousins that's not going to happen. If you're trying to convince us to give him the last Olympic spot, it doesn't matter what we think but of course we want our guy in the Olympics. We have no representatives in the All Star game, nobody picked for league awards, hardly any games on national television, and get to endure constant speculation that our team won't even be our team as soon as next season. Something positive to cheer for would be a nice change of pace. Smart NBA fans know how good Favors is. I wouldn't trade you Cousins for him, but I'd be darn happy if he played for my team. What else is there to say about this?

Favors was given limited minutes off the bench for most of the season while Cousins has no real competition at the starting C spot on our team and was made a primary focal point of the offense. It's not really a fair comparison. And besides that, you know that defensive players do a lot of things to help your team which don't always show up in the box score. Isn't that what you've been saying for weeks when it became clear we were targeting Thomas Robinson instead of Andre Drummond? If you're looking for a versatile bigman who can score, pass, rebound, and intimidate the other team's frontcourt with sheer physicality than you take Cousins. If you think your scoring is pretty much set already with Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Melo, etc and you just want an active defender in the post to spell Chandler for stretches, maybe you'd be right to consider Favors. But that's only if he shows he's ready for it in the scrimmages.

Npliam, like I said before I'm not sure what your angle is. If you're trying to convince us that Favors is better than Cousins that's not going to happen. If you're trying to convince us to give him the last Olympic spot, it doesn't matter what we think but of course we want our guy in the Olympics. We have no representatives in the All Star game, nobody picked for league awards, hardly any games on national television, and get to endure constant speculation that our team won't even be our team as soon as next season. Something positive to cheer for would be a nice change of pace. Smart NBA fans know how good Favors is. I wouldn't trade you Cousins for him, but I'd be darn happy if he played for my team. What else is there to say about this?
I just think it has to be said that Kevin Love doesn't help his team win, but Derrick Favors does. The Jazz making the playoffs is concrete indisputable proof of that.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I just think it has to be said that Kevin Love doesn't help his team win, but Derrick Favors does. The Jazz making the playoffs is concrete indisputable proof of that.
:D Yes, I suppose that does bear repeating doesn't it?

P.S.

This was just cringey. Seriously, take off the blindfold. I actually like Favors and think he'd be a good fit next to Cousins, but as for who is better now and who will be better in the future... Well, it's not even close right now. You've lost touch with reality.

Oddly the NBA types who voted Love 2nd team All NBA don't seem to agree with you. Imagine that.
You seem to change the argument if it doesn't fit what you want. I never said that Kevin Love wasn't a really good player. He is. He is fun to watch play will be good to great for a long time in the NBA. I did say he isn't a dominate big man. You put up stats that prove his dominance and I say that if you dominate then you should win. Otherwise you aren't DOMINATE.

I mean, other than guys like Dirk, Webber, Mourning, Howard, McDyess etc. who missed the playoffs in their second year its a near universal.
So were these guys dominate in their second year? Were they ever dominate? Webber wasn't, Mourning wasn't, Mcdyess, really? Howard wasn't a dominate center in his second year I am not sure that a comparison between Dwight in his second year and DMC in his is favorable (no pun intended) for DMC.

And other than guys like Webber (career .479), Dirk (.476), Moses (.491), Garnett (.498).), some dude named Bill Russel (.440) etc. etc. all dominant big men shoot 50+% percent. Well, except for Kevin Love who apparently became the first big man in history to average 26.0pts 13.3rebs a game in non-dominating fashion.
Webber avreaged a little over 50% for the first 10 years he was in the league. Dirk shot 51% (and he shoots a ton of midrange jumpers and 3's) the year they won the championship. Mosses Malone averaged over 50% for the first 10 years playing professional basketball. Kevin Garnett and DMC don't have remotely similar games but even so, kevin Garnett shot over 50% every year he has been in Boston and 4 of the last 5 he was in Minnesota. Bill Russell was way before my time but he played on loaded Boston teams and wasn't really that much of a scorer (averaged 15 ppg for his career). He average 22 rpg for his career which is pretty much insane.

You seem to change the argument if it doesn't fit what you want. I never said that Kevin Love wasn't a really good player. He is. He is fun to watch play will be good to great for a long time in the NBA. I did say he isn't a dominate big man. You put up stats that prove his dominance and I say that if you dominate then you should win. Otherwise you aren't DOMINATE.

So were these guys dominate in their second year? Were they ever dominate? Webber wasn't, Mourning wasn't, Mcdyess, really? Howard wasn't a dominate center in his second year I am not sure that a comparison between Dwight in his second year and DMC in his is favorable (no pun intended) for DMC.

Webber avreaged a little over 50% for the first 10 years he was in the league. Dirk shot 51% (and he shoots a ton of midrange jumpers and 3's) the year they won the championship. Mosses Malone averaged over 50% for the first 10 years playing professional basketball. Kevin Garnett and DMC don't have remotely similar games but even so, kevin Garnett shot over 50% every year he has been in Boston and 4 of the last 5 he was in Minnesota. Bill Russell was way before my time but he played on loaded Boston teams and wasn't really that much of a scorer (averaged 15 ppg for his career). He average 22 rpg for his career which is pretty much insane.
I'm done here. No use in arguing with you and your definitions of a "Dominate" (which is a verb btw) big man.

P.S.
Per 36:
Kevin Love's FG% is deceptive, since he takes a large number of 3pt shots per game (5.1), which he converts at a high rate for a PF (37%). Using TS% he comes out at a much more favorable 56%--the same as Lamarcus Aldridge and Dirk Nowitzki.

Cousin's TS% is 49%, which is poor for a big man.

Again, the difference between Cousins and best big men in the league is the ability to finish shots.

Last edited:
Cousins is actually a significantly better defender than Favors. As Bricklayer's stats show, Favors' only defensive advantage is that he will get you around .3 more blocks per game. Cousins does a much better job in steals (he is actually the 3rd best center in the league in this category) and gets more defensive rebounds. He is also one of the best big men in the entire league at taking charges.

The real kicker, though, is that Cousins allowed .84 PPP (Points per Possession) which was good for 196th in the league. Favors gave up .91 PPP, ranking him 341st.

Last edited:
Cousins is actually a significantly better defender than Favors. As Bricklayer's stats show, Favors only defensive advantage is that he will get you around .3 more blocks per game. Cousins does a much better job in steals (he is actually the 3rd best center in the league in this category) and gets more defensive rebounds. He is also one of the best big men in the entire league in taking charges.

The real kicker, though, is that Cousins allowed .84 PPP (Points per Possession) which was good for 196th in the league. Favors, however, gave up .91 PPP, ranking him 341st.
those stats don't account for things like his helpside defense, transition defense, or pick-and-roll coverages. all of these were pretty bad. I don't have numbers to back that up and don't think those even exist outside of synergy or whatever NBA front offices use, but I did watch the games and calling Cousins a good defender is stretching it. a lot of that had to do with him not wanting to commit fouls and the, frankly, disastrous perimeter defense didn't exactly put him in a position to succeed, so improvement from his team mates should help tremendously and I believe he'll improve, too. it is, however, the one issue I'm watching most closely with him.

Bricklayer

yada yada yadda

At the point that you are sitting there with a straight internet face , and attempting to call HOFers, All NBA team members, perennial All Stars and MVP candidates anything but dominant you have lost all credibility.

I am also surprised about your response to McDyess, since he is basically the extreme high end of what Favors could be if everything breaks perfectly. Not a superstar, but 20-11 athletic shotblocking PF. A force.

Bricklayer

those stats don't account for things like his helpside defense, transition defense, or pick-and-roll coverages. all of these were pretty bad. I don't have numbers to back that up and don't think those even exist outside of synergy or whatever NBA front offices use, but I did watch the games and calling Cousins a good defender is stretching it. a lot of that had to do with him not wanting to commit fouls and the, frankly, disastrous perimeter defense didn't exactly put him in a position to succeed, so improvement from his team mates should help tremendously and I believe he'll improve, too. it is, however, the one issue I'm watching most closely with him.
The interesting and promising thing about Cousins on defense is he makes more defensive PLAYS than just about any center in the league. That's how he ended up 3rd in the league in Defensive Efficiency (another silly advanced stat just adding together real stats, in this case blks, steals and charges taken). In fact if you just needed a big defensive play made on any given possession where everybody knew the stakes, Boogie might be as good a choice as anybody except the highest end shotblockers. Where he struggles, as is the case with virtually everything, is just in the discipline from possession to possession. Its the same maturity issue that underlies all of his deficiencies. Talentwise, he's off the charts. Has the best natural feel for the game, instincts, hands, I have seen from a big man since the great 90s centers. But he just doesn't have the focus to bring it every play yet. The nifty thing about immaturity though is that over time it almost always turns into maturity.

Was anyone else smiling/laughing every time the word "dominate" came up?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The interesting and promising thing about Cousins on defense is he makes more defensive PLAYS than just about any center in the league. That's how he ended up 3rd in the league in Defensive Efficiency (another silly advanced stat just adding together real stats, in this case blks, steals and charges taken). In fact if you just needed a big defensive play made on any given possession where everybody knew the stakes, Boogie might be as good a choice as anybody except the highest end shotblockers. Where he struggles, as is the case with virtually everything, is just in the discipline from possession to possession. Its the same maturity issue that underlies all of his deficiencies. Talentwise, he's off the charts. Has the best natural feel for the game, instincts, hands, I have seen from a big man since the great 90s centers. But he just doesn't have the focus to bring it every play yet. The nifty thing about immaturity though is that over time it almost always turns into maturity.
So what your saying, and I agree with, is that Cousins has the potential to be a good defensive on the ball post defender. He puts in the effort, but makes the occasional bad decision or mistake. Such as reaching in after being beat, thereby giving the opposing player a "and one" opportunity. He'll never be a premier shotblocker, but he should be able to make life difficult for the opposition in the post. With that said, would you agree that with the absence of a true shotblocker, for whatever reason, that a good weakside help defender, occasional shotblocker, from either or both the PF and SF position would be a step in the right direction, and would solve some of the problems we have in the post?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You seem to change the argument if it doesn't fit what you want. I never said that Kevin Love wasn't a really good player. He is. He is fun to watch play will be good to great for a long time in the NBA. I did say he isn't a dominate big man. You put up stats that prove his dominance and I say that if you dominate then you should win. Otherwise you aren't DOMINATE...
If you're going to continue to make these ridiculous comments, at least get the words right.

Dominate is a verb:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dominate said:
verb (used with object)
to rule over; govern; control.
to tower above; overlook; overshadow: A tall pine dominated the landscape.
to predominate, permeate, or characterize.
Mathematics . (of a series, vector, etc.) to have terms or components greater in absolute value than the corresponding terms or components of a given series, vector, etc.
Linguistics . (of a node in a tree diagram) to be connected with (a subordinate node) either directly by a single downward branch or indirectly by a sequence of downward branches.
verb (used without object)
to rule; exercise control; predominate.
to occupy a commanding or elevated position.
Dominant is a adjective or noun:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dominant said:
dom·i·nant
   [dom-uh-nuhnt] Show IPA
adjective
ruling, governing, or controlling; having or exerting authority or influence: dominant in the chain of command.
occupying or being in a commanding or elevated position.
predominant; main; major; chief: Corn is the dominant crop of Iowa.
Genetics . of or pertaining to a dominant.
Music . pertaining to or based on the dominant: the dominant chord.
noun
Genetics .
a.
the one of a pair of alternative alleles that masks the effect of the other when both are present in the same cell or organism.
b.
the trait or character determined by such an allele. Compare recessive ( defs. 4, 5 ) .
Music . the fifth tone of a diatonic scale.
Ecology . any of one or more types of plants, or sometimes animals, that by virtue of abundance, size, or habits exert so important an influence on the conditions of an area as to determine, to a great extent, what other organisms can live there.
Thanks.

Last edited:
That's a pretty underwhelming select team. Glad that the best of them is a King though, whether he makes it on the team this time around or not.

Ric Buchers espn article

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...en-andre-iguodala-final-roster-spots-team-usa

International drug testing requires early submission of all roster candidates and that date has long passed, which means that only the 15 players mentioned here are in the running to make the team.

"We would have had to ask for special dispensation," Colangelo said, "and we just didn't see anyone out there that we thought would make a difference that was worthwhile."
It might sound odd considering his NBA stature, but Griffin is most likely the first cut, based simply on the value of international experience and the particular skill set a big man must have to be effective in the international game: a jump shot. Griffin, as of right now, is limited in both areas. There isn't room on the roster for more than one defensive specialist, and that is reserved for Chandler because his defense, leadership and floor-running are so impeccable.
So from those quotes if there were looking to add a big man sounds like Cuz would have it over Favors.