SG
Buddy Hield
Tyrese Haliburton
Justin James

PG
De'Aaron Fox
Cory Joseph
Jahmi'us Ramsey

Ramsey is a SG but guessing most minutes he gets will be playing alongside Haliburton who will aft as the PG.

So (depending on whether Barnes is viewed more as a SF or PF) the Kings need another forward and another center. Unless they deal Buddy I don't see the team matching on Bogi and just making a couple one year depth signings. Maybe Alex Len at center, but I don't know who they'll sign as a PF.

Also worth noting that Holmes, Bjeli, and Parker are all free agents next summer. I would like to see Holmes back but the Kings will need to address the PF spot next off-season assuming that they view Bagley's position going forward as a center.

I wouldn’t mind taking a flier on Noah Vonleh (25) or Thon Maker (23) at the minimum. Unless we’re dealing Holmes, I’d rather not pay more than the minimum for what amounts to be a third center, especially one over 25 (Whiteside, Len).

We will need a full size C

My guess based upon above roster and no Bogi match
Maybe Whiteside , if not Len (just about only options?)

If there is a bogie match then no money for Whiteside
Cheap options in best order
Len,Mahinmi,Tako,Kosta?
Ugh!

Part of why I was thinking about this was to take a look at what the Kings future might look like.

Next year the guys under contract will be:

Bagley
Barnes
Hield
Haliburton
Fox
Woodard
Ramsey

Possibly Jeffries depending on the deal he ultimately signs and James if the Kings pick up his option. Joseph's contract is only partially guaranteed next season (only $2.4 M of the 12.6 M) so I suspect he'll be gone.

Barnes and Hield will likely be dealt if there are any takers so really it's just Bagley, Fox, and Haliburton as potential building blocks.

That group needs at least one more star player. Another strong draft (hopefully with a top 5 pick), Bagley staying healthy and making a leap, and ideally a good trade for Buddy and I can see the path forward for the Kings.

Part of why I was thinking about this was to take a look at what the Kings future might look like.

Next year the guys under contract will be:

Bagley
Barnes
Hield
Haliburton
Fox
Woodard
Ramsey

Possibly Jeffries depending on the deal he ultimately signs and James if the Kings pick up his option. Joseph's contract is only partially guaranteed next season (only $2.4 M of the 12.6 M) so I suspect he'll be gone.

Barnes and Hield will likely be dealt if there are any takers so really it's just Bagley, Fox, and Haliburton as potential building blocks.

That group needs at least one more star player. Another strong draft (hopefully with a top 5 pick), Bagley staying healthy and making a leap, and ideally a good trade for Buddy and I can see the path forward for the Kings.
I thought JJ was guaranteed, but I think you're right (he isn't). Well that's great news!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Right now (unless I'm missing someone) the Kings depth chart looks like this:

Center
Marvin Bagley
Richaun Holmes

PF
Nemanja Bjelica
Jabari Parker

SF
Harrison Barnes
DaQuan Jeffries
Robert Woodard

SG
Buddy Hield
Tyrese Haliburton
Justin James

PG
De'Aaron Fox
Cory Joseph
Jahmi'us Ramsey

Ramsey is a SG but guessing most minutes he gets will be playing alongside Haliburton who will aft as the PG.

So (depending on whether Barnes is viewed more as a SF or PF) the Kings need another forward and another center. Unless they deal Buddy I don't see the team matching on Bogi and just making a couple one year depth signings. Maybe Alex Len at center, but I don't know who they'll sign as a PF.

Also worth noting that Holmes, Bjeli, and Parker are all free agents next summer. I would like to see Holmes back but the Kings will need to address the PF spot next off-season assuming that they view Bagley's position going forward as a center.
His contract is probably unguaranteed, but you did leave out our undrafted free agent signing G/F Quinton Rose from Temple. I guess you could pencil him in as SF depth. Some of these positional alignments are subjective-- I don't really consider PF to be a thing anymore in any meaningful way and there's a lot of overlap between the two guard positions in terms of scoring vs. playmaking -- so I just use G and F on my roster sheets now. Using your alignment, I'd slot Rose in at SF, move Jeffries to SG, and move Woodard to PF but that doesn't really affect anything since most of those guys aren't going to play much.

If our goal is to groom the young players and anticipate a higher draft pick, I don't really see any rotation minutes left here so anyone else we add is probably injury depth now. There is maybe a need for a veteran wing if you don't like relying on Woodard or Haliburton from day one but that doesn't really bother me. I'd also prefer we just give those minutes to Jeffries if they aren't ready.

His contract is probably unguaranteed, but you did leave out our undrafted free agent signing G/F Quinton Rose from Temple. I guess you could pencil him in as SF depth. Some of these positional alignments are subjective. I don't really consider PF to be a thing anymore in any meaningful way and there's a lot of overlap between the two guard positions in terms of scoring vs. playmaking, so if it were me I'd slot Rose in at SF, move Jeffries to SG, and move Woodard to PF. It doesn't really affect anything though since most of those guys aren't going to play much.

If our goal is to groom the young players and anticipate a higher draft pick, I don't really see any rotation minutes left here so anyone else we add is probably injury depth now. There is maybe a need for a veteran wing if you don't like relying on Woodard or Haliburton from day one but that doesn't really bother me. I'd also prefer we just give those minutes to Jeffries if they aren't ready.
Yeah, these days I tend to view lineups as Brad Stevens does. One PG, three wings, one big.

But it helped to organize things.

Rose is likely training camp fodder and then a candidate for a two way deal.

I doubt the Kings will add a veteran wing. I was hoping they'd bring back Len but with him going to Toronto there's still a need for a big bodied center, likely on a one year deal. I'm guessing they'll take a flyer on another young wing (if Rose doesn't stick) to fill out the roster.

I think the only real goals for this season will be:

1. See what they have in Bagley
2. See what they have in Haliburton, Ramsey, and Woodard
3. Showcase Buddy for a potential trade
4. Land a high lottery pick
5. Keep the cap sheet clean.

Do we have any indication Monte sees Bagley as a center? The rumor not long ago was we were in the market for a backup Center. I suppose that could mean a third center after Bagley and Holmes. It could mean they see him as a PF. Either way, we need at least two bigs considering Bagley and Parker's injury history.

Kosta on the minimum?
F that.

I say trial by fire. Maybe get someone with a little size if you need it or a vet wing for backup but Holmes, Bagley, and Bjelica at the center spot is what they always reverted to anyway. Then there's Parker. He should get minutes. He played well his first game, got benched, then was one of the few players that looked OK in the bubble.

You can't trust Walton with players like Kosta. I can't waaaait to see Cory Joseph get minutes over Haliburton as it is. haha.

Here's a question - how soon does McNair expect us to be competing? I assume it has to be at least the last two years of Fox's extension. I think the answer to this should in part determine whether you really want to move Buddy or not (assuming he gets back to playing well this season, which is the assumption being made in showcasing him for trade)

Here's a question - how soon does McNair expect us to be competing? I assume it has to be at least the last two years of Fox's extension. I think the answer to this should in part determine whether you really want to move Buddy or not (assuming he gets back to playing well this season, which is the assumption being made in showcasing him for trade)
If he's not trying to move Buddy and Harrison while also keeping Bjelica and Holmes it better be now. This is a roster too good/experienced to totally suck anyway. The draft picks should even be ready for a spot, even the young 19 year old upside pick in Jahmi'us Ramsey is physically where he needs to be.

If he's not trying to move Buddy and Harrison while also keeping Bjelica and Holmes it better be now. This is a roster too good/experienced to totally suck anyway. The draft picks should even be ready for a spot, even the young 19 year old upside pick in Jahmi'us Ramsey is physically where he needs to be.
Beli and Richaun should be more valuable at the trade deadline. We have lots of guys we can use to help another team clear cap space for picks. If Minnesota looks decent I could see us swapping GS players for that pick.

just because they are on the roster doesn’t mean they have to be played.

Right now (unless I'm missing someone) the Kings depth chart looks like this:

Center
Marvin Bagley
Richaun Holmes

PF
Nemanja Bjelica
Jabari Parker

SF
Harrison Barnes
DaQuan Jeffries
Robert Woodard

SG
Buddy Hield
Tyrese Haliburton
Justin James

PG
De'Aaron Fox
Cory Joseph
Jahmi'us Ramsey

CoJo’s contract only has a 1 Mil guarantee so he is essentially also a free agent.

yep. That CoJo contract is essentially an expiring, which may make him sneakily valuable come trade season.
yeah I agree. If Beli can show he is strong enough to guard bigger centers he could be very valuable also. The first half of the year hopefully will be highlighting tradable pieces.

I think the tradable pieces around the trade deadline would be:
1) Bogi (if we match)
2) CoJo
3) Beli
4) Barnes.

Just for comparison Buddy and Barnes are about the same age.

if you trade Barnes to a playoff team he will make 19.5 average for 2 years under contract.

if you trade Buddy with his play-off bonuses
21.5 average for 3 years under contract.

I wouldn’t mind taking a flier on Noah Vonleh (25) or Thon Maker (23) at the minimum. Unless we’re dealing Holmes, I’d rather not pay more than the minimum for what amounts to be a third center, especially one over 25 (Whiteside, Len).
Agreed. I would want Monte to fill out the roster with young, cheap players with some upside. Thon Maker is exactly the type of player the Kings should be signing right now. No more higher priced vets like Whiteside who doesn't fit the age range and style of play Monte was calling for. Let the kids play and let them develop together. ;)

so now that we are getting rid off older players to make room for young guys who do we have left to fill these holes?
C ages 23-25 Thon Maker, Jordan Bell, Justin Patton anybody else?
PF Noah Vonleh and...?
If the plan is to go young, take a flyer on someone in Fox's age range and watch the team grow. If we sign Hassan Whiteside or another older vet, I have no idea what the plan is