Cousins suspended by the team

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
samickAOL Sam Amick
Should cooler head prevail, Kings could ship Cousins to the Phoenix game if they rethink decision. NBA Union would likely fight suspension.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This will also be my time to chime in that Sam Amick is NOT a neutral source. He is obviously close enough to see the incident, but like Voison he has a certain political slant even to his tweets, and all events are interpreted through that filter before beign passed along to us.

samickAOL Sam Amick
Should cooler head prevail, Kings could ship Cousins to the Phoenix game if they rethink decision. NBA Union would likely fight suspension.
I'm going to be honest. If this issue can get resolved (and not just band-aid'd), then I'd be all for Cousins playing tomorrow.

I'm hoping that Petrie and others from the organization have been sitting with Demarcus tonight and working through the issues.
The fact that the team had to jump on to a plane right after the game really makes the situation far more complex since all the parties involved can't get together to hash things out, but the quicker the resolution, the better in my opinion.

I'm going to be honest. If this issue can get resolved (and not just band-aid'd), then I'd be all for Cousins playing tomorrow.

I'm hoping that Petrie and others from the organization have been sitting with Demarcus tonight and working through the issues.
The fact that the team had to jump on to a plane right after the game really makes the situation far more complex since all the parties involved can't get together to hash things out, but the quicker the resolution, the better in my opinion.
I agree with this. Best possible scenario is that it gets worked out, he plays, and there's no official suspension. The media fallout from that may be more damaging than it's worth. Good thing we've got cell phones these days. Put one on speaker.

Whether his complaint is true or not is irrelevant, that's not how you broach the issue, especially when you're a rookie. I really want to believe in Cousins, but he makes it so difficult sometimes. He needs to put this kind of stuff behind him, this is exactly the kind of things people were worried about with him, and he has not done a very good job at proving them wrong.

I say promote Cuz to GM.... he's the only one with balls to call our underachievers out... I am behind this I don't care what built it up. At least someone on our team is sick of the BS!!!

Cousins hates losing. He's not a selfish player. Others on the team seem content with losing so give Cousins the ball. Let him LEAD this team.

This sucks. I wish the confrontation didn't get physical because that kind of thing is hard to forgive and forget. I do agree that we need to be going to Cousins a lot more in the final minutes of games... he's proven to be clutch regardless of how his night is going and we have yet to actually give him the ball on the final posession. Instead we keep going to Reke or Omri for the airball/uncalled foul to end the game. That would start to pee me off after a while too.

OK... I just watched the last 5sec play again real close. Cuz was open for a milisec or so. Coulda possibly had something. The easy pass was to Tyreke. When Reke caught the inbounds pass Cuz still looked hopeful, and looked for the pass from Reke. Then when the shot went up Cuz still looked positive trying the putback. I didn't see Cuz stress until the it was over. He ran toward our bench bummed while close ups of Reke and Donte showed smiles heading to shake hands with OKC.... I am NOT kidding. Watch it. Smiles like all is good. as in shucks...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm in agreement with this as well. Everyone knows that the Thunder's biggest weakness is a lack of quality big men. And that is the one advantage that the Kings should have over the Thunder for a long time. So I don't know why we didn't make a more concerted effort to get Cousins good post position and have him bang inside more.
That's what we are going to have to do if we want to beat this Thunder team in the coming years.
That being said, he just plain struggled in this game

Reading Jason Jones tweet he makes it sound like Greene went at cuz first physically after cousins told him to pass to him more.

Surely there was more provocation than that othwerise I think donte might need anger management.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
OK... I just watched the last 5sec play again real close. Cuz was open for a milisec or so. Coulda possibly had something. The easy pass was to Tyreke. When Reke caught the inbounds pass Cuz still looked hopeful, and looked for the pass from Reke. Then when the shot went up Cuz still looked positive trying the putback. I didn't see Cuz stress until the it was over. He ran toward our bench bummed while close ups of Reke and Donte showed smiles heading to shake hands with OKC.... I am NOT kidding. Watch it. Smiles like all is good. as in shucks...
How dare they exhibit good sportsmanship

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yea, mediocrity, or in our case habitual losers, is all cool... our guys are so use to it, they don't need emotion, just good sportsmanship.
Because being trigger-happy and punching the first guy to cross us is definitely more indicative of a winning environment rather than goof sportsmanship.:rolleyes:

Because being trigger-happy and punching the first guy to cross us is definitely more indicative of a winning environment rather than goof sportsmanship.:rolleyes:
What's that old saying?... Show me a loser who's a good sport, and I'll show you a loser.. Go kings!

The calling out on tyreke should come from Garcia or udrih the real vet from the team, they should have been able to stop this fiasco,

I like how Cousins speaks his mind, but he should know his place

Demanding respect despite rookie status?

come on man! you got to earn this, and all NBA players had to deal with that....

I really think that Cousins has not hit his rookie wall physically but already has emotionally and mentally,

heres to things being settled

And I really dont like where this will go, i hope the team doesnt alienate him or the team picks sides.. I really don't

If DC was on almost any other team, he would be performing much better. I have to say Evans is not the best distributer, and even though i missed the game, its definately Evan's M.O. not to pass up a game winner. Which is fine, because we wern't making the playoffs anyways, and cousins should also recognize this. As for Westphal's job, I think if the goal was Demarcus Cousins and Kyrie Erving, he did a very good job. Petrie is more valuable than you would think because he carries favor with many other GM's around the NBA. Even though Cousins was whining and threw some punches, figurative or not; I still think he wasn't wrong, but he also wasn't right. I will definately set the emotion rating of DC13 to 100 on 2k11 after this.

DMC's rep just took a huge hit (no pun intended)

No matter what anyone says, does, whether DMC plays or doesn't, the media is gonna have a field day with this for the next couple days, if not week.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I can't believe the groundswell of support you're giving DMC on this one. You don't demand respect from others by saying you want it. You earn it - something he was well on his way to doing with his recent play. You don't punch a person - ever. That moves you into Artest/Sprewell/Crazy Dude status. Can he come out clean from this? Probably. It's a shame that he went after Donte - the dude was doing all the little things asked of him and not complaining about minutes.

Exactly, he can't come in and demand respect despite rookie status, under no circumstances you just cant flat out hit any one. this will hurt him, this will certainly serve fodder for his haters and probably some one sided trade proposals saying this guy just punched a team mate blah blah....

this will hurt him in the long run he better mature, wait didnt we bring in his old coach from HS or something? what IS he doing? i thought he was bringing cuz along? being young is not an excuse at this point, you should know its basketball 101 you and your team mates are together in this...

Who knows, maybe Cousins wants to be traded...? I mean how many players have acted out when they wanted out? It's not like he would go to a worse team, right. I mean the only worse team is the Cavs or Wolves, it's unlikely he'd end up either of those places. Many top contending teams would want a piece like Cousins and if they're winning Cousins is happy. I just don't see him staying with the Kings, he has too much heart and will and the rest of the Kings players are laid back and could care less as long as they get their checks and pad their stats (excluding Pooh). This altercation happened right before the trade deadline...what a coincidence too, huh?