Cousins suspended by the team

Cousins has grown frustrated that the Kings coaches and players don't speak up more about Evans' late-game decision making.
That I agree with, with Tyreke it seems they let it slide but with other guys they get an earful...I'm sure he notices it and doesn't like it.

Maybe with an emotional guy like that all these close losses are taking it's toll.

Still pretty bad reguardless. Wish some of the other guys had as much fight as he does =P

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yes but Cousins is a repeat offender! He has had more than his fair share of confrontations behind the scenes. What ever is the case, you don't take pot shots at your team mates for a broken play. I have re-watched the inbounds again and all things considered, Donte made the right call.

Like I said, I am all for some fire and passion from the big bloke but he is were as aggressive on the court as he was apparently in the change rooms after the game, this game would not have come down to a last 2nd shot!

Despite his double double, I would look into the mirror a bit more before I start pointing fingers at others.
I'm not making excuses, nor am I down playing what happened. I was just putting out there what resulted in the 2 other fistfight which have occured this season.

samickAOL

More details from Cousins-Greene situation. Cousins was yelling at Evans 4 last play, from tunnel to the locker room. Greene came in later.
Oh jeez.

Sounds like the bigger issue is respect. That the big guy doesn't feel like he gets enough. And quite honestly, I feel that the team should be going to him more in the post, and in general. So purely from that point of view, I get it. Don't necessarily agree with the means, but on the issue, I side with Cousins. And I'm still glad he's showing fire.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The quickest and easiest way for a young team with this much talent to not work out is for guys to fight for dominance. And BTW this wasn't Tyreke being selfish in this one -- he took the shot that was there, and looked designed with 5 seconds left, it was pretty open, almost went in. He had also scored 30pts in the game and carried us down the stretch. Meanwhile DeMarcus was 5-14 and was gettign swarmed int he post and stripped half the time. I'll have to take a look at the last play again, but unless he was basically open for a dunk, and donte saw that and went away anyway, this is Demarcus being a selfish child, not Tyreke.

Demarcus is such an anomaly. One second he is the sweetest guy on the team playing with kids, hugging everyone, kissing Jerry Reynolds, and the next he does something like this that just makes you feel dissapointed because you know that he isn't a bad guy.

Keeping it all in perspective. Before Ron Artest et al violent outburst at Auburn Hills (which he recovered from) there was the Latrell Sprewell fiasco (which he never recoverd from):

Though a four-time All-Star, a significant mark on Sprewell's career was an incident which took place on December 1, 1997, in which he attacked head coach P. J. Carlesimo during a Warriors practice. When Carlesimo yelled at Sprewell to make crisper passes (specifically asking him to "put a little mustard" on a pass, Sprewell responded that he was not in the mood for criticism and told the coach to keep his distance. When Carlesimo approached, Sprewell threatened to kill him and dragged him to the ground by his throat, choking him for 10–15 seconds before his teammates pulled Sprewell off his coach. Sprewell returned about 20 minutes later and landed a glancing blow at Carlesimo before being dragged away again. It was not his first violent incident with the Warriors; in 1995, Sprewell fought with teammate Jerome Kersey and returned to practice carrying a two-by-four, and reportedly threatened to return with a gun. In a 1993 practice, Sprewell fought with Byron Houston, who was 50 pounds heavier than Sprewell and had what many teammates describe as having a Mike Tyson-like demeanor and physique.

The next day, in the wake of a public uproar, the Warriors voided the remainder of his contract, which included $23.7 million over three years, and the NBA suspended him for one year. Sprewell took the case to arbitration, and, as a result, the contract voiding was overturned and the league suspension was reduced to the remaining 68 games of the season—at the time, the longest suspension for an on-court incident in NBA history. During his initial suspension, Sprewell complained that he did not have money to feed his family. It was also during this time that he was charged with reckless driving for his role in a 90 mph accident that injured two people. Sprewell spent three months under house arrest as part of a no-contest plea and following all of his troubles was never able to resume his professional basketball career with signficant success.

Please DeMarcus dear - don't be another Artest or Sprewell!

in the postgame interview, i remember westphal saying that cousins was open for a second but casspi ran by him and might have either blocked the pass lane or something. i dont know if he was covering for donte or what but i didnt have the game dvr'd to watch again
Just finished watching this in slow motion back and forth at least 20 times.

Harden was on Tyreke who was in the middle of the key, Cousins and Casspi were both at the top of the key, with Casspi a bit further out.

When Cousins went to get position in the lane, he went right next to Harden. If Donte had thrown the ball early, it's possible that Harden could have reached from behind and gotten a hand on it, because Tyreke didn't make his move till Cousins had made his.

So Donte had to wait till Tyreke made his move to draw Harden away.

Now you can see that the first option probably was to Cousins, because Greene moved to pass the ball to him. The biggest problem was that Casspi ran right in front of Cousins, and that presented two different issues.

The first is that Casspi's man (Green) followed Casspi by going behind the screen. But when he did this, he was watching Donte and actually hesitated just a moment to see if the pass was going to go into Cousins. Green actually had his hand on Collison's shoulder as he ran by, and it looked as if he was prepared to provide help to Collison if he needed it.

The second issue is that Casspi ran right in between Donte and Cousins. It's very possible that Casspi inadvertantly interferes with that pass, or obscures Cousins' vision which makes the pass harder to catch.

And because Green was spying where the ball was going to go, Cousins would of had two defenders betweeen him and the rim, so his best option would have been to pass it out to Casspi for the open 3 in the corner. But my guess is that Cousins would have forced up a shot to tie it.

So I don't think that Donte really had a good window to get the ball cleanly to Cousins, once Cousins had made his move and positioned himself to receive the pass. And even if there was a really narrow window, it safer pass by far was to Tyreke.

If Casspi had run to the other corner, then Cousins would have had a legitimate issue, because then Greene could have made a clean pass. But Casspi ran right through the middle of where the pass had to be, and he kept his man in the area as well making it even harder for Cousins to get off a good shot.

With what has transpired, I really, really wish that Tyreke had knocked down that shot.

If Cousins doesn't go on the road trip, then he won't be playing again till after the All Star break, and that's a long wait. Hopefully they'll be able to get this all settled and deal with the situation rather than making it worse.

Bricklayer

I wonder if Cousins will still play in the rookie/soph game...
I assume he will, but with this one additional act of stupidity he has again shot himself in the foot and switched the entire dialogue that will be srurrouding him that game from "emerging 20-10 center" back to "problem child".

A few games ago I was worried about the All-Star break because the team has been playing so well, and the break has been known stop that continuity. Now, I think it is welcomed by all. =/

Bricklayer

Rookie sophomore game is going to be crazy if they have sore feelings....
Screw tookie/soph -- OUR team is going to be crazy if they have sore feelings. If nothing else we have appeared to have had good chemistry hanging in there for all these games. This sort of thing can wreck that.

I assume he will, but with this one additional act of stupidity he has again shot himself in the foot and switched the entire dialogue that will be srurrouding him that game from "emerging 20-10 center" back to "problem child".
This may be the most unfortunate aspect of this incident. All that talk will seep out into the national press and may define his rookie season. And, if he scraps the game and doesn't show up, it'll be even worse.

Demarcus will have to find a way for this to motivate him to get better and learn to communicate better.

Screw tookie/soph -- OUR team is going to be crazy if they have sore feelings. If nothing else we have appeared to have had good chemistry hanging in there for all these games. This sort of thing can wreck that.
I agree, and it's for this reason that I really hope that something can be done betweeen Petrie/Westphal/Cousins to get Cousins into the game on Tuesday against the Thunder.

They need to act on this quickly and get things sorted out. I don't see any positives in letting Cousins stew all week long, and then have to deal with all the media he's going to get during All Star week, having to see Tyreke for the first time and playing against him, ect.

Best case scenario is that Cousins is allowed to play on Tuesday, and he and Tyreke work together on the floor and perhaps get a win or two. They need to have all this hashed out, so they can provide a united front with everyone having each other's backs, and the best way to do that is to get them back on the court working together.

If true, I support Petrie and Westphal on this -- the inmates can't run the asylum.

Boogie is awesome but he's not bigger than the team (and will be back on the court, and from what we've seen better for it). I love Donte, but he doesn't have the same court vision as Demarcus and in no way do I think he was purposely ignoring the big rook.

I agree, and it's for this reason that I really hope that something can be done betweeen Petrie/Westphal/Cousins to get Cousins into the game on Tuesday against the Thunder.

They need to act on this quickly and get things sorted out. I don't see any positives in letting Cousins stew all week long, and then have to deal with all the media he's going to get during All Star week, having to see Tyreke for the first time and playing against him, ect.

Best case scenario is that Cousins is allowed to play on Tuesday, and he and Tyreke work together on the floor and perhaps get a win or two. They need to have all this hashed out, so they can provide a united front with everyone having each other's backs, and the best way to do that is to get them back on the court working together.

Agreed. And it's for these reasons that don't think they'll sit him down till the all-star break. Cousins, Petrie, Westphal, Tyreke and Donte all just need to sit down and work it out.

I'm not making excuses, nor am I down playing what happened. I was just putting out there what resulted in the 2 other fistfight which have occured this season.
In all fairness. The Mayo/Allen wasnt a fist fight. It was Allen beating the crap out of Mayo who got 1 punch in that Allen ducked on.

Keeping it all in perspective. Before Ron Artest et al violent outburst at Auburn Hills (which he recovered from) there was the Latrell Sprewell fiasco (which he never recoverd from):

Though a four-time All-Star, a significant mark on Sprewell's career was an incident which took place on December 1, 1997, in which he attacked head coach P. J. Carlesimo during a Warriors practice. When Carlesimo yelled at Sprewell to make crisper passes (specifically asking him to "put a little mustard" on a pass, Sprewell responded that he was not in the mood for criticism and told the coach to keep his distance. When Carlesimo approached, Sprewell threatened to kill him and dragged him to the ground by his throat, choking him for 10–15 seconds before his teammates pulled Sprewell off his coach. Sprewell returned about 20 minutes later and landed a glancing blow at Carlesimo before being dragged away again. It was not his first violent incident with the Warriors; in 1995, Sprewell fought with teammate Jerome Kersey and returned to practice carrying a two-by-four, and reportedly threatened to return with a gun. In a 1993 practice, Sprewell fought with Byron Houston, who was 50 pounds heavier than Sprewell and had what many teammates describe as having a Mike Tyson-like demeanor and physique.

The next day, in the wake of a public uproar, the Warriors voided the remainder of his contract, which included $23.7 million over three years, and the NBA suspended him for one year. Sprewell took the case to arbitration, and, as a result, the contract voiding was overturned and the league suspension was reduced to the remaining 68 games of the season—at the time, the longest suspension for an on-court incident in NBA history. During his initial suspension, Sprewell complained that he did not have money to feed his family. It was also during this time that he was charged with reckless driving for his role in a 90 mph accident that injured two people. Sprewell spent three months under house arrest as part of a no-contest plea and following all of his troubles was never able to resume his professional basketball career with signficant success.

Please DeMarcus dear - don't be another Artest or Sprewell!
My first thought hearing about the suspension was skepticism- I really like what Cousins has been bringing, and have been frustrated watching Tyreke. But they are both phenomenal players- the real concern is that if this kind of behavior becomes his MO, no matter how talented he is, he will never be a franchise player, someone to build around.

He has so much talent and fire, it's a shame to see him go down this road. I really hope he can get some sense talked into him, and uses his time off to think over what he's doing to his career, rather than just getting more and more angry at the team and organization. Trouble is, right now I think he's going to do the latter and dig in against everyone else.

On the other hand, we have him under contract for years, so maybe it's time to start investing in some intensive therapy. Maybe some team trust-building exercises, too. Anything to make these guys trust each other, because if Cousins and Evans can learn to really trust and respect each other, they will be the foundation for a top-flight NBA team for the next 15 years. Damn shame if they fall apart and help spell the end of the Sacramento Kings.

The quickest and easiest way for a young team with this much talent to not work out is for guys to fight for dominance. And BTW this wasn't Tyreke being selfish in this one -- he took the shot that was there, and looked designed with 5 seconds left, it was pretty open, almost went in. He had also scored 30pts in the game and carried us down the stretch. Meanwhile DeMarcus was 5-14 and was gettign swarmed int he post and stripped half the time. I'll have to take a look at the last play again, but unless he was basically open for a dunk, and donte saw that and went away anyway, this is Demarcus being a selfish child, not Tyreke.

I'm thinking this is more of a build up type of thing. He's been underutilized IMO and things boiled over. Even in this one, when he was going early they hardly looked his way. Should have been hammering it down low to him from the start.

Bricklayer

This is Cousins' postgame interview -- I assume this was after the confrontation with Donte? Calm enough, and the spin in the interview is that he was upset because he thought he got fouled, not because he didn't get the shot. Only hint of something that he might have thrown punches over a few minutes before was the tone of his voice when he explained the options on the play -- as he described it he was the first option, Tyreke the second, and they went to Tyreke.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is Cousins' postgame interview -- I assume this was after the confrontation with Donte? Calm enough, and the spin in the interview is that he was upset because he thought he got fouled, not because he didn't get the shot. Only hint of something that he might have thrown punches over a few minutes before was the tone of his voice when he explained the options on the play -- as he described it he was the first option, Tyreke the second, and they went to Tyreke.
In watching the replay I agree with Cousins that he was the first option. You can see Donte looking to pass it into him first, but the pass really wasn't there, so he made the safer pass to Tyreke. I don't fault Donte at all for not making that pass into Cousins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking this is more of a build up type of thing. He's been underutilized IMO and things boiled over. Even in this one, when he was going early they hardly looked his way. Should have been hammering it down low to him from the start.
I'm in agreement with this as well. Everyone knows that the Thunder's biggest weakness is a lack of quality big men. And that is the one advantage that the Kings should have over the Thunder for a long time. So I don't know why we didn't make a more concerted effort to get Cousins good post position and have him bang inside more.
That's what we are going to have to do if we want to beat this Thunder team in the coming years.