Could the 2005-2006 Kings be the next 1999 Knicks?

Look at this way , i know some people might disagree with me . But i feel we have a better chance vs spurs than the suns because the kings can also score in halfcourt sets . I think with artest and bonzi we are better suited than we were with peja and mobley last year .

Bonzi has a huge job on Manu , Manu is the guy who scares me more than duncan (not healthy 100%) and parker . Manu is their energy guy besides horry .

Narz Miller
Duncan Thomas
Bowen Artest
Manu Bonzi
Parker Bibby

Finley Sar
Horry Garcia
Barry Martin
Van exel Hart
Rasho -------

ONE THING IS FOR SURE THE SPURS ARE DEEPER THAN THE KINGS .

But Kings have a really young team compared to the kings .

Kings over spurs in 6 games !

GAME 7 'S HAVEN'T BEEN KIND FOR THE KINGS !!!

while i'd like to think it possible, i don't see the kings beating the spurs THIS year. we might be able to take them down next year when we've gelled more and tweaked the team more, but this year our chances are pretty slim

kingsville said:
Kings over spurs in 6 games !
That's what I'm SAYING!! We really can win this. There's no doubt in my mind it's going to be a very competitive series. The Spurs beat opponents, but they don't shut down opponents.

I thought Ron guarded Manu last time? Completely took him out of the game too.

I don't see the need to put him on Bowen, that guy hardly ever shoots.

i am a die hard fan... i love the kings... but there is no way we are winning this series. We have 0 answers for TD, no matter how healthy. I think it will be competitive, and we shall get 2-3 wins, but I dont see us getting 4.

Ron Manu, bonzi on parker, mike on bowen... that would be my choice

I'm definitely willing to hope... but playoff Spurs are going to be very very tough to beat. We'll give them a fight and maybe steal a game, but they are just too deep and too experienced.

It'll be great for our young guys to get the exposure though.

KA_2 said:
Not if they face the Spurs. But they could beat the Suns, IMO, if Artest has a great series and they slow it down enough.
What in the world would make you think that they would slow it down? They will increase the pace if anything. They would not take us lightly. They would try to run us off the court.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sac.Kings said:
What in the world would make you think that they would slow it down? They will increase the pace if anything. They would not take us lightly. They would try to run us off the court.
Not what KA is saying -- KA is a Lakers fan, so the "they" doing the slowing is the Kings. ;)

SacKings4Life21 said:
i am a die hard fan... i love the kings... but there is no way we are winning this series. We have 0 answers for TD, no matter how healthy. I think it will be competitive, and we shall get 2-3 wins, but I dont see us getting 4.

Ron Manu, bonzi on parker, mike on bowen... that would be my choice
I personally think the Spurs will win the series although I will root for the Kings as always. I don't think TD is the problem, he really hasn't been that great this year. What's going to kill us is not having HCA, going against the current champs and there much better bench. I think the Spurs have a 2nd level though which will probally stop us. TD really hasn't done anything special against us. His planar "f" or whatever Christie had has really limited him this year.

Wow, I just can't understand the pessimism around here. So we played the Spurs 3 times this year. We lost game 1 in Sac by 3 points(no artest), we lost game 2 by 1pt bibby missed game winner(no artest), we played them the 3rd time with Artest, and at their home court and destroyed them by 10 pts. Point being we match up very very well with the Spurs, and I agree we have a better chance of beating them, than we do the Suns. Tim Duncan is at best 80%(plantar facitis) which doug christie had in 03-04.

The best thing about the 3rd game for who really watched it, is how frustrated the Spurs got(2 techs). When do you see the Spurs ever lose their cool, and get two techs? It is not very often usually only when they are getting outplayed and outhustled. Which is exactly what the Kings did to them last time we played them. Every time the Spurs would make a run at us we simply responded, and built back up our lead. We were more physical and were the Dominant team, they are scared to play us, plain and simple. Not only that they have no BONZI stopper, bonzi has destroyed the spurs this year.

Last point being, RON GUARANTEED WE WILL NOT LOSE IN THE 1ST ROUND-This being the same guy who predicted we would make the playoffs, after losing his 1st two games with us, and being 8 games under .500% with one of the toughest remaining schedules in the league. Until Ron is wrong with predictions, I will take his word, and the Kings in 6 games, and we will win of the 1st two away games.

Kings2805 said:
Wow, I just can't understand the pessimism around here. So we played the Spurs 3 times this year. We lost game 1 in Sac by 3 points(no artest), we lost game 2 by 1pt bibby missed game winner(no artest), we played them the 3rd time with Artest, and at their home court and destroyed them by 10 pts. Point being we match up very very well with the Spurs, and I agree we have a better chance of beating them, than we do the Suns. Tim Duncan is at best 80%(plantar facitis) which doug christie had in 03-04.

The best thing about the 3rd game for who really watched it, is how frustrated the Spurs got(2 techs). When do you see the Spurs ever lose their cool, and get two techs? It is not very often usually only when they are getting outplayed and outhustled. Which is exactly what the Kings did to them last time we played them. Every time the Spurs would make a run at us we simply responded, and built back up our lead. We were more physical and were the Dominant team, they are scared to play us, plain and simple. Not only that they have no BONZI stopper, bonzi has destroyed the spurs this year.

Last point being, RON GUARANTEED WE WILL NOT LOSE IN THE 1ST ROUND-This being the same guy who predicted we would make the playoffs, after losing his 1st two games with us, and being 8 games under .500% with one of the toughest remaining schedules in the league. Until Ron is wrong with predictions, I will take his word, and the Kings in 6 games, and we will win of the 1st two away games.
spurs in the regular season are not equivocal to spurs in the playoffs. the regular season is simply a means to pass the time for the spurs in between the months of november and april. they crank it way up when the playoffs roll around. that doesn't mean the kings have no chance against the spurs, it just means that they should expect to see a tougher team in a 7-game series then the team they played 4 times at different periods during the regular season.

Exactly, the Spurs are a finely-tuned machine built for the playoffs. They must have close to 600 games of playoff experience throughout their roster...we probably have about 175...if that...

Logic says the Kings lose this series, probably in 5 or 6 games, although every game will most likely be close. The Spurs are just too deep, too talented, and too experienced.

It would truly be a miracle for the Kings to get out of the 1st Round...and if they did, they would have to automatically become favorites for the NBA Championship...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KingCookie said:
Logic says the Kings lose this series, probably in 5 or 6 games, although every game will most likely be close. The Spurs are just too deep, too talented, and too experienced.
I have an official announcement:

LOGIC has been banished from Kingsfans.com, at least for now. Let's just kick back and enjoy the ride and see how far it takes us. Logic said we wouldn't even be playing after April 18...

If the Kings beat the Spurs it would be a HUGE HUGE upset. There have only been two occasions when an eighth seed has defeated a #1 seed. However, I would suggest the Kings are not constructed like a typical eigth seed. I have some optimism for the following reasons.

I think Artest and Wells have added a toughness to the team much more associated with a #1 or #2 seed. Besides being "gritty" Wells has had several big playoff performances including a 45 point performance against Dallas in the 02-03' playoffs. Also, Bibby is a proven playoff performer who has been playing much better defense in the last several weeks. The team in general has one of the best records in the league of the last six weeks.

I just think the Kings match up well against the Spurs. Also, the Kings appear to be healthy while Duncan appears to be plagued by plantar fasciitis. Although, the injury will not keep him out of games or even from contributing a high level it may just slow him down just enough to make a difference.

So, I do not think this is the typical "lambs to the slaughter" #1 v. #8 seed. I'm going to keep telling myself that until the bitter end!;)

And we finally have someone who can stop Ginobili. He used to abuse us before we got Ron. Mike might not be able to stop Parker, but remember, Mike is a cold blooded killer in the playoffs. Ron mentioned last night that he thinks Mike could be a good defensive player if he tried. Maybe next year?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
For all that the Spurs have felt "vulnerable", this is a 61-19 team we are talking about. Could be a 63 win team by the end. That's a Spurs team record. Their title teams only won 59, 60, and 37 (strike year). And they accomplished this in the face of bad health.

We can pose them certain matchup problems, but injuries or no injuries all that team has done this year is win. I've always felt the Spurs were a bit soft mentally and had the choke in them. But they've never done it in the first round. Last year thyey faced Denver under similar circumstances -- Nuggets came in scorching, were the "dark horse" pick. And the Spurs dismissed them in 5.

Last edited:
The difference between the Nugs last year and our team this year is that they just had a coaching change light a fire under them after the AS break. In our case, the actual team has changed...sure, one player different, but you tell me it wasn't a drastic change.

I'm still suspending logic...

I think Artest will gaurd Manu. The guy that really scares me is Parker, he is their instant offense. It just gives him all the more chance for huge games against us when Bibby is gaurding him.

G_M said:
If the Kings beat the Spurs it would be a HUGE HUGE upset. There have only been two occasions when an eighth seed has defeated a #1 seed. However, I would suggest the Kings are not constructed like a typical eigth seed.

So, I do not think this is the typical "lambs to the slaughter" #1 v. #8 seed. I'm going to keep telling myself that until the bitter end!;)
This series is more similar to a second round 1-4 than a first round 1-8.