Copa America (Soccer)

Surprised to not see a discussion about Copa America since I do see that some Soccer discussions have happened on here in the past (unless I did not look hard enough).......but did anyone happen to catch the score of the Mexico-Chile match? Anyone actually watch it? Was Mexico really that bad? Or was Chile just really that good?

Final score was

Chile 7
Mexico 0

Now, on to the USA......
I hope we can at least hang tough with Argentina. I don't see us winning the match unless we are blessed with some sort of an amazing miracle. But, I will be super proud of our men if we can at least hang with Argentina for the full duration of the match (90+ for those non-soccer fans and enthusiasts who have just happened to encounter this thread).

Overall, though, I have been pleased with our performance. Nothing to be ashamed of. Sure, we've had a few rough patches here and there, but you have to be pleased with the overall performance of our team. I am.

Last edited:
I was watching the Timbers so I only heard of the score. I am tempted to watch a replay for giggles but probably won't. I hope Nagbe gets to play against Argentina as long as we keep it within 2 goals I'd be ok with any result.

Never say never. You wan't some inspiration? Here you go....
LA Galaxy almost lost to a bar league team the other night and only won because they were classless a-holes (although once they scored on the "trick play" they opened the floodgates). Moreso than any other sport I think you see some crazy upsets. Never underestimate home advantage as well, though there will be plenty of Latin American supporters in Houston.

I caught the end of the Mexico-Chile match around 56:00 and the Mexico team just laid down and died.
My son thought they may have been sending some message that they didn't want the coach to remain their coach.

I was surprised that professionals wouldn;t have more pride than they showed....

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Argentina and Messi are just in a class of their own. They have coasted all tournament long. I predict Colombia vs Argentina for the Copa championship...this would be Messi's first championship if he wins it, just another accolade to add to the resume.

good loss. Scheduled loss really without jones and wood.

work to be done. We are solid but clearly need more experience againt top notch opposition. Argentina are ranked 1 and deservedly so.

Wish Klinsmann would have been a little bolder with the lineup last night but whatevs. I'm not calling for his head mainly because I think he has gotten top talent that might not have come to our side and I don't know who would replace him.