Considering cutting the TV cable service, what are the pros and cons as it relates to watching the Kings?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Some shows you can watch for free on YouTube that I would recommend: 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown & Would I like to you.
I mostly watch guitar/music production stuff, the occasional political opinion show, and lately 2k23 how tos. I'm embarrassed to say I bought the game for my kiddo and got bit.

I don't mean to be a jerk but is there such thing as non highspeed internet in 2022? I ask because my internet is considered "high speed" and there is no way I could rely on it to stream all the TV being watched in my house. There is also no alternative that is any faster than what I already have. No phiber lines, nothing. All in reasonable proximity to the "tech capital" of the U.S.

I don't mean to be a jerk but is there such thing as non highspeed internet in 2022? I ask because my internet is considered "high speed" and there is no way I could rely on it to stream all the TV being watched in my house. There is also no alternative that is any faster than what I already have. No phiber lines, nothing. All in reasonable proximity to the "tech capital" of the U.S.
Yes, some people can only get Satellite/cell phone or other lower speed options in rural areas.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I live in the country and I just switched to Starlink - you may want to check if that is available in your area. It isn't the greatest (especially when local demand is high - for instance I just stopped watching an episode of House of the Dragon as it kept buffering, while the previous episode I just finished was fine) but it is generally a LOT better than the previous wireless broadband I had. I was paying $110 for 8 Mb down and 2 Mb up - now I'm paying the same amount (after an upfront Starlink equipment cost) and am generally getting 4-5 times faster speeds down and maybe 2-3 times the upload speed. Sometimes MUCH faster downloads. But (rarely) speeds drop to unacceptable levels. Overall, my service has been much better and my working from home on occasion hasn't had as much of an issue with connection to my work computer.

Yes, it still sucks compared to folks with fiber access, but what can you do?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
If your in the country you should look
Into ATT fixed wireless. It uses WiFi and give 30-50mps DL pretty consistently.
It’s Like $50-60 a month
I doubt I'd ever go back to AT&T for anything. Had both their DSL and cell service. Not again.

Verizon has 5G home service in our general area but not at my address yet. Once it does I'll look into that.

For my nba league pass I watch it on my laptop. It’s not the greatest because of the size but I travel a lot. I just buy the single team package and use Amazon prime

So Samsung and LG don't support the NBA app. Youtube TV requires you to buy league pass through them. I have league pass, but no way to watch it without throwing a device to my TV. This stuff super frustrates me.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Roku does. I wasn't looking forward to a season of running my battery into the ground every night. If they'd add the WNBA app, I might be able to consider cutting cable.
Ok - I didn't know it existed, but how can Roku not have the WNBA app? That's the one device that if the app I want isn't supported I know it is found on.

I feel your pain though - I sub to Night Flight Plus which doesn't have an Android app I can run and for whatever it has on Apple, I can't use it except on the ipad itself.

Just a FYI update. I signed up today for Verizon Home Internet. Since we have a Verizon phone plan we get the internet for $25 a month locked in for two years. Right now we are on a 30 day free trial to see if it meets our needs. So far it seems plenty fast but time will tell.

Youtube TV is on the agenda for this weekend when I have more time to work with it.

We still have cable for a while so I will be running speed comparison tests and will post the results here.

Just a FYI update. I signed up today for Verizon Home Internet. Since we have a Verizon phone plan we get the internet for $25 a month locked in for two years. Right now we are on a 30 day free trial to see if it meets our needs. So far it seems plenty fast but time will tell.

Youtube TV is on the agenda for this weekend when I have more time to work with it.

We still have cable for a while so I will be running speed comparison tests and will post the results here.
Youtube TV is definitely cool and works really well. However, I already had Hulu and Disney plus so I bundled that with HuluTV and it was cheaper for us to go that route, knocked off disneyplus from our bill and added espn while not losing Disney plus.

Food for thought, if you are in the Sac area. I can even still watch Warrior games and also use the NBCSports app on my phone to not need extra viewing devices.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Food for thought, if you are in the Sac area. I can even still watch Warrior games and also use the NBCSports app on my phone to not need extra viewing devices.
NBC Sports App is great. I think I would have had a heart attack trying to watch opening night on League Pass and finding myself blacked out because Portland moved to Root sports this year. (worst regional sports network ever - they're owned by ATT and pretty sure not even on their OTT stream service). For those that travel or have a second home in Sac or similar arrangement just load up the app. I've noticed it seems to be a good minute or so behind the game day threads though. I'll compare vs. league pass this week.

NBC Sports App is great. I think I would have had a heart attack trying to watch opening night on League Pass and finding myself blacked out because Portland moved to Root sports this year. (worst regional sports network ever - they're owned by ATT and pretty sure not even on their OTT stream service). For those that travel or have a second home in Sac or similar arrangement just load up the app. I've noticed it seems to be a good minute or so behind the game day threads though. I'll compare vs. league pass this week.
It is about 45 seconds behind. My buddy was texting me about plays I hadn't seen yet lol. Had to tell him to hit delay on his texts.

Update FYI:

Tests comparing Xfinity cable internet vs Verizon home internet turned out like you might expect. In the room with the routers Xfinity is faster, although Verizon is fast enough as there is no lag. Unexpectedly the Verizon covers our rather long house much better. The speed tests on the far rooms are won by Verizon, its speed are very consistent throughout the whole house. We have two extenders for Xfinity we won't be needing with Verizon.

YoutubeTV works great with Verizon. I'm watching the Kings play Miami on a recording.

It appears we will be canceling cable and returning their equipment on Monday and saving at least $100 a month:)

Thanks for all the input that helped us make the move to YoutubeTV and Verizon!

So it looks like FuboTV is the way to go! Glad to hear that people are able to get Kings games on it without any problems. I guess it shoots down the rumor that all games are blacked out if you are local....