Coin flip day today.

Prepare for the worst and you’ll never be disappointed.

#10 will look stunning next to #12 because if McNair already pulled one heist he can surely do it again!!!!
I've been a fan of this team for 35+ years, pretty safe to say in a typical year there's the acceptance phase when we wind up with a pick in 7-10, followed by some brief hope from draft day through summer league/pre-season, and the realization that we suck again hits some point about 10 games into the season.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lol. The Bulls traded for Vuc to win now, lost as much as the Kings and now promptly stand a good chance of losing their pick.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hmm so does it mean just #1 pick wise our odds are different or top 4 chances are different also?
The info on this graphic is wrong, because it is not taking into account the fact that the ties mean that the Kings, Bulls, and Pelicans have evenly split the lotto odds for the 8/9/10 slots. The odds in the graphic below (from Wikipedia) are correct.

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 11.48.23 AM.png

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
perhaps interesting question would you rather be Minnesota or the Kings.......
You'd rather be the Kings. Our expected value (all of our possible values times the probability of each value) comes out at about the same as a #6 pick. Minnesota's expected value is about the same as an early second-round pick, because they have such a high probability of having no pick at all (72.4% chance of no pick).

At least we’re not Minnesota who went on an even stupider late season surge to probably send their pick to Golden State.

It could always be worse, I guess.
Stupid because they could have done more to prevent it but at least it was led by their rookie guard who looks like he's on his way to becoming a perennial 25ppg scorer in this league.

Usually the Kings are led by the Ike Diogu's of the world.

You'd rather be the Kings. Our expected value (all of our possible values times the probability of each value) comes out at about the same as a #6 pick. Minnesota's expected value is about the same as an early second-round pick, because they have such a high probability of having no pick at all (72.4% chance of no pick).
In terms of this pick sure. I was talking more about overall. Minnesota has a decent young core in Towns, Russell, Edwards and McDaniels. When they actually played together this year they were pretty good.

In terms of this pick sure. I was talking more about overall. Minnesota has a decent young core in Towns, Russell, Edwards and McDaniels. When they actually played together this year they were pretty good.
Again with the Wolves love? KAT and Russell are losers. We might be a loser franchise, but those are two proven loser players. They have never led their teams to anything, with repeated failures over their first 6 years. Nice stats? Yes. Winners? No. They are soft losers. The numbers bear it out. They are worse than the Kings.

2015-16
Kings- 33-49
KAT- 29-53
Russell (LA) 17-65

2016-17
Kings- 32-50
KAT- 31-51
Russell (LA) 26-56

2017-18
KAT- 47-35 (carried by third team NBA Jimmy Butler)
Russell (BKN) 28-54
Kings 27-55

2018-2019
Russell (BKN)- 42-40
Kings- 39-43
KAT- 36-46

2019-2020
Kings 31-41
Russell (GS/MIN) 21-43
KAT- 19-45

2020-21
Kings 31-41
KAT 23-49
Russell 23-49

Since 2015-16
Kings 193-279
KAT- 185- 279 (8 less games because they didn't qualify for bubble)
Russell 157-307

This is not to suggest the Kings have been good. We have been bad. Losers in fact. But KAT's teams have been worse, and Russell's teams MUCH worse. In fact, we have had a better record than KAT and Russell in 4 of their 6 years. Think of that- us better than any team in 4 of 6 years! KAT's only good season came with Butler as the alpha. Russell's only decent season was with a scrappy Brooklyn team that probably wasn't any better than the Kings team that year. So spare me the love about the Wolves, and the talk that they are build something. They will never win a thing with KAT and Russell.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I didn't realize the scope of the question. Still, I'm not sure that this Minnesota young core is any better than Fox, Haliburton, Bagley (yes, Bagley!), and a lotto pick this year (which Minnesota probably doesn't have). And the Kings have some other non-young-core pieces as well. Edwards has a loooong way to go to be equal to Buddy Hield.

Let's look at it this way:
Towns > Bagley
Russell << Fox
Edwards << Hield
McDaniels << Barnes
Rubio << Haliburton
Reid > Metu
Beasley << Kings Lotto pick

If Minnesota hits the lottery and manages a top-3 pick, then maybe you'd rather be Minny. Otherwise, seems like a tough argument to make.

I didn't realize the scope of the question. Still, I'm not sure that this Minnesota young core is any better than Fox, Haliburton, Bagley (yes, Bagley!), and a lotto pick this year (which Minnesota probably doesn't have). And the Kings have some other non-young-core pieces as well. Edwards has a loooong way to go to be equal to Buddy Hield.

Let's look at it this way:
Towns > Bagley
Russell << Fox
Edwards << Hield
McDaniels << Barnes
Rubio << Haliburton
Reid > Metu
Beasley << Kings Lotto pick

If Minnesota hits the lottery and manages a top-3 pick, then maybe you'd rather be Minny. Otherwise, seems like a tough argument to make.
I'd probably put Reid with a few more than that over Metu.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I see “KAT and Russell are losers” and I counter with... so are Fox and Buddy and Bagley and everyone not named Barnes for those seasons he rode behind Curry and Klay. If they can’t build behind them why should we think we can build anything with our equally loser core?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Interesting question!

KAT seems to be the very definition of a “empty stats” player, but Edwards looks like he’s going to be a future super star, so maybe KAT will shine in a Robin role.

IF Minny keeps their pick, they could have a pretty solid core. Or maybe they’ll flip KAT for some good pieces. I’m sure he still has good value in the league.

Meanwhile we could stay a perpetual 10th in the West treadmill team... I really like the Fox/Hali backcourt, but we have neither the coach nor the supporting cast to really push this team into playoff contention. Bagley is doo doo. Barnes is a solid 4th option type. Buddy should be a 6th man...

And don’t get me started on Vivek. Dude is a disaster.

I’m going with Kings. But I think my fandom is 90 percent Stockholm syndrome at this point.