Chris Webber

do u think SF played better after moving to eastern conference? at least, he got higher efficiency.
for point guard, is T-mac better than Nash or Bibby? Why he got No.1 in votes?
if Kings could get Yao, I believe C-Webb could replace either TD or KG

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So? What's your point? We have to have someone who has the confidence. You're grasping at straws, funky, by the use of the "lots of times you can just se that he has zero intentions..." Well, tonight, he tried to pass the ball repeatedly. Pedja passed the ball BACK to him twice in one possession. Another time, the rest of the team stood around like GPAM™.
Agree to disagree.

I don't think you are going to understand my point on this and apparently we see the same things differently so there's no point in arguing it further.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
funkykingston said:
Agree to disagree.

I don't think you are going to understand my point on this and apparently we see the same things differently so there's no point in arguing it further.
Agree.

And at least we're consistent. I don't often agree with your takes about Webber on the other board, either.

;)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
funsc said:
do u think SF played better after moving to eastern conference? at least, he got higher efficiency.
for point guard, is T-mac better than Nash or Bibby? Why he got No.1 in votes?
if Kings could get Yao, I believe C-Webb could replace either TD or KG
This is exactly why it will be hard for Webber to make the all-star team. With voting online available worldwide, any Rocket players on the ballot are going to be aided by a HUGE contingent of Chinese voters who will also ensure Yao a starting spot as long as he plays or until the voting system is changed. I'd be shocked if TMac wasn't voted in as a starting forward. KG and Duncan will outdraw Webb on reputation if not on actual numbers and contribution this year and whichever one of them doesn't get a starting nod will get voted in by the coaches. I think Webber deserves the next slot, but there are a ton of deserving players like Amare, Dirk, Brand, Randolph, Lewis, or even Melo. Once again, I think Webber has played better than all of them with the possible exception of Stoudamire, but I think the overall talent of the Kings hurts his case somewhat.

I think Peja has zero shot of a return to the all star game. With Shaq in the East I think Miller is a shoo in and I think Bibby has a decent chance.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree.

And at least we're consistent. I don't often agree with your takes about Webber on the other board, either.
I maintain that I am fair and objective but the truth is that I probably fall on the side of criticizing Webber more than necessary. I'm sure you feel that you are fair and objective but the truth is that you probably praise Webber more than necessary. That's life. We're both Kings fans and little disagreements are just a way to pass the time between rooting on our team.

As for the other board, I still can't access it. And seeing how things are going in my life right now, I probably won't be posting here much in the near future either.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
funkykingston said:
I maintain that I am fair and objective but the truth is that I probably fall on the side of criticizing Webber more than necessary. I'm sure you feel that you are fair and objective but the truth is that you probably praise Webber more than necessary. That's life. We're both Kings fans and little disagreements are just a way to pass the time between rooting on our team.

As for the other board, I still can't access it. And seeing how things are going in my life right now, I probably won't be posting here much in the near future either.
I heartily concur.

Excellent game again by Webb. He's been a stud lately and is piling up the double doubles and 30+ point games! Still wish he'd look for his PG on fast breaks a bit more, but hard to complain when he's hitting clutch shots (and FT's) and pulling down boards.

Funny, I was imagining opening up KingsFans to see a Webber praise thread started by VF21, and sure enough there it was. :D It sure is great to see him playing so well, and leading the team, especially after 2004.

I think now we can expect the great play from him (with the knowledge that everybody has bad games, of course). It's going to be nice when he has a great game and there is no praise thread and no A grade because he's been doing it so consistently.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay... I'll stop. It's just hard, though, because he took SO MUCH criticism that part of me wants to balance the scales and makes sure he receives as much praise. But I get the message.

;)

VF21 said:
Okay... I'll stop. It's just hard, though, because he took SO MUCH criticism that part of me wants to balance the scales and makes sure he receives as much praise. But I get the message.

;)
Don't worry, I'd much rather it be this way than some other outcomes that had been predicted. :D

I have my issues with Chris Webber and I will probably continue having those issues for a long time, but if the guy is playing well, especially as well as he is now, don't hesitate to come out and voice it. The guy deserves it. He is playing more consistently than any other Kings player right now. And not only that, but he is playing consistently at a very high level. Dare I say "superstar" level? He's doing what the team needs him to do and frankly more than a lot of people expected him to do. So cheer for him, wear his jersey, post happy threads for him, do whatever you feel you want to do in his support, he earned it.

VF21 said:
Any questions?
Webber's performace comparing with before

Speed : 70% :Knee operation

FG : 85%:Total FG is 0.48XX ,This season is 0.457 before this game .He will shut better and better in next games

FT : 120%: This item for he is very nice this season!FT% is closed to 80%.We don't worry about any more when he stands on thelaneto do it

offense : 110% : More weapons, more effect

Rebound : 90% : Only one a leg . This is enough

Defense : 70% : He can't jump higher and protect his defense rebound

Can't have Webb at the three...he would get murdered. You CAN put KG at the three and slide Webb over to the four. Then that would truely be a dangerous lineup.

VF21 said:

;)
No - don't stop!! You save me the trouble of starting a post. All the praise so far isn't even close to overcoming all the criticism he has taken over the past two seasons. I feel the same way about Webb. No matter what he does it is never quite enough. It drives me crazy. Even last night he missed a shot & the guy next to me turned to his wife and said "He gets paid too much." I don't get it. Not sure what Webber has to do to win the approval of some .. maybe grow wings and fly??

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
With all the crap Webber gets and how much his 20-10-5 are EXPECTED by fans, it is more than welcome for anyone to start threads praising his great play. It's just a shame that no matter how many big shots, clutch free throws he makes some folks are always going to consider him a "choker" a "show boat" a "cancer" even after he leads the Kings to a championship.

HndsmCelt said:
With all the crap Webber gets and how much his 20-10-5 are EXPECTED by fans, it is more than welcome for anyone to start threads praising his great play. It's just a shame that no matter how many big shots, clutch free throws he makes some folks are always going to consider him a "choker" a "show boat" a "cancer" even after he leads the Kings to a championship.
so true. It gets old. He can carry us for 4 games straight, and if he lets up on one night there is instantly a "trade Webber" thread, so why not have a positive thread while he's playing so well?? It's just sad. I think Webber plays with so much passion and enthusiasm & it must be hard for him to deal with all the crap he gets from some of the fans.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This was briefly posted last night by another poster, who's name I will withhold if he deleted his post for a reason, or who I will be happy to credit if he speaks up. Anyway, crunchtime stats this season:

Crunch Time Stats
http://www.nba.com/features/nestle/crunch_time_stat.html?nav=ArticleList#explanation

Nestle Crunch Time Points For The Day 1/18/05
1. Chris Webber (Kings) 22pts
2. Earl Boykins (Nuggets) 18pts
3. Marcus Camby (Nuggets) 12pts
4. Jerry Stackhouse (Mavericks) 8pts
5. Antonio Daniels (Sonics) 8pts
5. Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks) 8pts
5. Cuttino Mobley (Kings) 8pts
5. Steve Francis (Magic) 8pts
5. Hedo Turkoglu (Magic) 8pts

NBA history is full of unforgettable Crunch Time players and performances. Jerry West was known as “Mr. Clutch,” John Havlicek “stole the ball,” and Michael, Magic and Larry were always at their best when the clock was winding down and their teams needed big plays to secure victory. The Crunch Time Rating indicates the top Crunch Time Performers for the 2004-05 season. Check here to see which players contributed the most to their team's success this season.

Nestle Crunch Time Points, NBA Regular Season 2004-05
1. Larry Hughes (Wizards)149pts
2. Chris Webber (Kings)137pts
3. Dwyane Wade (Heat)135pts
4. Chauncey Billups (Pistons)134pts
5. Kevin Garnett (Timberwolves)133pts
6. Damon Jones (Heat)132pts
7. LeBron James (Cavaliers)131pts
8. Brad Miller (Kings)126pts
8. Steve Francis (Magic)126pts
10. Michael Redd (Bucks)125pts
11. Shaquille O'Neal (Heat)124pts
11. Tracy McGrady (Rockets)124pts
11. Mike Bibby (Kings)124pts
14. Eddie Jones (Heat)123pts
15. Richard Hamilton (Pistons)122pts

Nestle Crunch Time Rating
The Nestle Crunch Time Stat was designed by the NBA and Nestle to provide an innovative way to measure "Crunch Time" performances -- players who step up when the game is on the line! A formula has been created to measure the top Nestle Crunch Time players, and the formula kicks in when Crunch Time kicks in -- the last two minutes and all overtime periods.

Here's the formula:

(PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK) - ((FGA - FGM) + (FTA - FTM) + TO) + 4 points if their team wins

Note: If the point differential of the game is greater than 15 points at the two-minute mark, only the losing team's players will be eligible to earn Crunch Time points.

P.S. Note the built in bias though -- since these are total stats, rather than "per crunchtime opportunity" stats, it rewards players on good teams tat play a lot of close games, and penalizes guys on teams that blow everybody else out (and REALLY helps guys on teams playing a lot of OT since that equals 5 more minutes to put up stats + you only get 2min max a game in regualtion). Anyway, since we don't blow ANYBODY out, lot of chances for our guys (and the Heat apparently).
P.P.S. You can also see that its basically a variation on the "efficiency" stat, which Webb is #8 in the league in this year. Just jumps up to #2 when it matters. :)

Last edited:
Keep reminding them...

HndsmCelt said:
Exactly!!^^ Don't let the Haters get to you VF, they just don't like seeing they are wrong. Chris Webber is the best player on this team, Chris Webber talked smack to his teamates and backed it up, Chris Webber is the player on this team that most consistantly is not afraid to take the last shot or free throws and more often than most NBA players will convert. Chris Webber is showing us all that he is the leader of this team. It's not like you make this post after every big game he has, it's usually after about 5 in a row
. Keep it up!

Last edited:
VF21, I really like how you have jammed it down the throats of Webber [nitpickers, complainers, haters...take your pick] with these special tribute threads. Some are changing their tune a bit now and some are choking to death.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........

Keep on jammin'! ;)

Any questions?

Classic.

i was never a Chris hater...he's actually the reason im a kings fan today...i followed him all his career and really i followed him through the trade that bought him here from Washington...he's always been one of my favorite players...and for all that im truly thankful...go chris!!

I have not been the biggest Webber fan over the years, because even when he could, he didn't give us what we really need - the low post presence. But given his limitations right now, he is playing well. I've come to accept that he either can't or won't go down there and do the dirty work, but he is doing much better offensively this year because he is working on what he can or will do, and getting better at it. I don't scream "no" any more when he takes a jumper (well - unless it's a trey at the buzzer), and I am impressed by his free throws recently. I wish he could do those explosive jams again. (Sigh). And I think he doesn't play great D. But I love the Kings, and CWebb is a King, so I want him to recover and do well.

Pejasdabomb said:
I have not been the biggest Webber fan over the years, because even when he could, he didn't give us what we really need - the low post presence. But given his limitations right now, he is playing well. I've come to accept that he either can't or won't go down there and do the dirty work, but he is doing much better offensively this year because he is working on what he can or will do, and getting better at it. I don't scream "no" any more when he takes a jumper (well - unless it's a trey at the buzzer), and I am impressed by his free throws recently. I wish he could do those explosive jams again. (Sigh). And I think he doesn't play great D. But I love the Kings, and CWebb is a King, so I want him to recover and do well.
Well, he does give the Kings passion, energy, and (recently) solid play doing crunch time. We need all of that. I think Webber looks incredible & he looks pretty dang healthy to me. He may not be 100%, but he's come back pretty far from an injury that could have been career ending. Honestly, I think we are lucky to have him, and lucky to have such a great team right now. Who knows? Maybe Mobley is the shake up that we needed to go all the way!:D

love_them_kings said:
Well, he does give the Kings passion, energy, and (recently) solid play doing crunch time. We need all of that. I think Webber looks incredible & he looks pretty dang healthy to me. He may not be 100%, but he's come back pretty far from an injury that could have been career ending. Honestly, I think we are lucky to have him, and lucky to have such a great team right now. Who knows? Maybe Mobley is the shake up that we needed to go all the way!:D

I noticed that he seems to be jumping a lot higher too recently. Before he would be nailed to the ground while grabbing a board. Now I can actually see him jumping and competing for a rebound in the air. While he is obviously not explosive like once was, he's finding other ways to get to the rim and score. That mini hook shot might not be the most exciting move, but it's money for the most part.