Chris Webber

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
I only wonder how good he would be if he had never hurt his knee... Hmmm??
Why wonder about something like that? Why not just enjoy what he's doing out there?

I'm sorry for starting another thread like this but I have said all along that Webber would come back and he would be huge. I had faith and I took a lot of heat from a LOT of people, as did the other "Webber supporters." It's just nice to be able to be vindicated AND to see Webber doing sooooo well.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

I'll try not to start another thread like this, but no promises.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Heuge said:
You're gonna be mad at me...I have a question.

Why is he taking at the buzzer threes?
He took that one because of a blown play and no one else available. Pedja was cold and had, in fact, passed away chances at two wide-open looks just before. The score was tied. He put up the shot at the last second. If it had gone, he'd be even more of a hero. I have no problem whatsoever with him taking that shot - especially in that circumstance. I did see Miller break open just as Webb released the ball but I don't think Webber saw it.

VF21 said:
He took that one because of a blown play and no one else available. Pedja was cold and had, in fact, passed away chances at two wide-open looks just before. The score was tied. He put up the shot at the last second. If it had gone, he'd be even more of a hero. I have no problem whatsoever with him taking that shot - especially in that circumstance. I did see Miller break open just as Webb released the ball but I don't think Webber saw it.
It's just an end of the game habit I do not like.

BUT, he is coming through big time lately.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
My ONLY concern with Webber right now outside of his lateral movement on D (which he can't do anything about) is that often at the end of quarters or games he puts the blinders on and is determined to shoot even if it means taking a bad shot. Tonight I thought he was great, and his late looks at the basket were all open jumpers in his range, but the last second three was pushing it.

Chris has convinced me that he can make big shots down the stretch, but I still don't want him forcing them. Especially since Mobley and Bibby are such clutch performers.

I guess the best compliment I can give Webber right now is that with the game on the line, I would much rather see him taking a shot than Peja. And with his FT stroke looking so good, I'm not even afraid of him being fouled and sent to the line.

But tonight, any complaints about CWebb really falls under the category of nit-picking. He had a great game. My problems with tonight have to do with team defense, defensive rebounding and Peja's horrible game in almsot every facet. But that is for another thread.

IMO, It's alright to start a thread like this, VF. :)

Webber with a huge game!! Don't think we could have won it without him (like most games).

Webber: 49 mins 32 points 13 rebs 6 assists 4 steals 1 block (4 TOs)

Those were some clutch FTs!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
funky - I agree entirely. I don't want him to force shots either. But, as I saw it, he didn't have much time, he didn't see anyone open, and a long shot that might go was better than nothing, especially since missing didn't lose the game. It was already tied so he didn't really have to worry about losing the game. Why not take the shot when the clock is running out and no one has a better chance?

great game by Webber.....but still slow on D rotation... VF21: Why we have post about C-Webb (or any other player) every time when we win? Isn't that team effort (you always say this when we have bad game)?

The thing is that all superstars force shots at critical times. It's not like Webb doesn't pass up the ball when someone is open, but when he sees that none of his teammates are open he will take it upon himself to score by either driving to the hole or taking a jumpshot. Futhermore, I don't think Webb will ever be his old self, in terms of athleticism but now he's a smarter basketball player now, can still get above the rim and has become the true leader. I'm loving these threads too and hope there are many more to come.

Here's a question: Will he be able to even stand tomorrow? I was watching only bits and pieces before of the second half (I'll watch the replay right now), but I don't think I ever saw him sit down.

But other than that, he really saved our butts.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't really have a big problem with the three. But it was really a chance for me to air my thoughts on what I have noticed on other nights where the score is close at the end of quarters or games. I believe it was the Hornets game where Webb forced up a leaner from the free throw line that had me screaming at the TV.

I love that Webber has the confidence to take big shots and has come up with some this season, but a lot of times you can just see that he has zero intention of passing the ball regardless of what happens. Chris is just not the type of player (Van Exel, Kobe, TMac, Iverson) who can ALWAYS create a decent shot and sometimes it causes him to take a bad one. There's too much talent and too many good shooters for any one Kings player to feel like they HAVE to be the guy to take a shot late in games.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
starks said:
VF21: Why we have post about C-Webb (or any other player) every time when we win? Isn't that team effort (you always say this when we have bad game)?
Why not have threads to discuss various aspects, including the person who had the most impact for our team not only tonight but for the last 5 games???? If you're not fond of Webber, you can always just skip over the thread. Those of us who want to rejoice in his recovery, his contributions to the team, etc. are going to talk about him and how good we think he did.

funkykingston said:
I didn't really have a big problem with the three. But it was really a chance for me to air my thoughts on what I have noticed on other nights where the score is close at the end of quarters or games. I believe it was the Hornets game where Webb forced up a leaner from the free throw line that had me screaming at the TV.

I love that Webber has the confidence to take big shots and has come up with some this season, but a lot of times you can just see that he has zero intention of passing the ball regardless of what happens. Chris is just not the type of player (Van Exel, Kobe, TMac, Iverson) who can ALWAYS create a decent shot and sometimes it causes him to take a bad one. There's too much talent and too many good shooters for any one Kings player to feel like they HAVE to be the guy to take a shot late in games.
I agree 100%. Well, sort of. Confidence is not something that he lacks. Its only a bad thing when he misses...but that's almost like saying that any missed shot it a bad shot and the only good ones are the ones you make.

I don't think players try to miss shots, they shoot with the intention of the ball going in. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
funkykingston said:
So? What's your point? We have to have someone who has the confidence. You're grasping at straws, funky, by the use of the "lots of times you can just se that he has zero intentions..." Well, tonight, he tried to pass the ball repeatedly. Pedja passed the ball BACK to him twice in one possession. Another time, the rest of the team stood around like GPAM™.

I have no problem with him taking that shot. I'm not going to talk about "lots of times" because that's not the point I was trying to make. The point was on this night, in this game ONCE AGAIN Webber did us proud. Was he perfect? Nope. Does he have to be? Well, apparently in the eyes of some he does.

For the record, if he hadn't taken that shot what would have happened? We would have gone to overtime because no one else was open to take it. If he had taken the shot and missed, what would have happened? We would have gone to overtime, which we did. If he had taken the shot and MADE IT, we wouldn't even be talking about this. We (or at least most of us) would simply be elated that Webber had won the game at the buzzer.

it'd be better if C-Webb could shoot three, another valuable weapon for Kings,
with that, his efficiency could match up with Dirk.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
funsc said:
it'd be better if C-Webb could shoot three, another valuable weapon for Kings,
with that, his efficiency could match up with Dirk.
yeah, you're right. We really need him to work on extending that jumper out further.

:rolleyes:

With Nash going down and Twolves struggling I don't see why Webber is not a legit MVP candiate. Maybe TD is the only threat right now.

Wait.... he didn't even get Player of the week once this year. Talking of no love... :(

Good to see he is standing in the line to work out free throw, now much better on FT

with 3-4 3pt attempts and 2-3 3pt made, he can be MVP, definitely

Andriod_KiNg said:
C-Webb better goto the All Star game or all hell is gonna break loose !
i agree. webber has been an all star foward this year. it will be a travesty if he doesn't make it. i'd love to see him make the team, and take it off to rest the knee, saying that it hurts of something like that. we need him more then the west AS game does, he just deserved the honor with the year he is having.

GO C-WEBB!!!!!!