Cat out of bag and other latest news, rumors, etc.

Is this offer contingent to Seattle move? I mean, the vote BOG vote is about move or not. Maybe Ballmer is trying to buy in Sac then maloof the team for year or two and make case for move. Just a thought. He looks desperate enough to do anything, play dirty and malooff/ballmer us.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No matter how much money Hansen wants to flash, the bottom line is still that the relocation committee recommended rejection of the application to move the team to Seattle. That vote is not going to change their mind, because the selling price was not part of the criteria for evaluation.

Once again, the Hansen/Ballmer agreement with the Maloofs is contingent upon them being able to move the team. Since the NBA is not going to rubber stamp the relocation, this is truly much ado about nothing.

I agree with someone on Twitter who said the NBA should call Hansen's bluff and tell him they'll give him an expansion team right now for $800 million.

Again?

I'm getting sooooooooo tired of this. EVERY time. EVERY SINGLE FRICKIN TIME it looks like we have the advantage, Hansen pops open his checkbook and throws out another fifty million dollars. What little respect I ever had for the Seattle side is now gone.

(P.S.VF, you should probably make this a seperate thread)

Last edited:
This money that they are putting out is just an "offer". It's basically saying "We will give you more if you approve the relocation". It's not technically even an official bid.

#too_late_seattle

No matter how much money Hansen wants to flash, the bottom line is still that the relocation committee recommended rejection of the application to move the team to Seattle. That vote is not going to change their mind, because the selling price was not part of the criteria for evaluation.

Once again, the Hansen/Ballmer agreement with the Maloofs is contingent upon them being able to move the team. Since the NBA is not going to rubber stamp the relocation, this is truly much ado about nothing.

I agree with someone on Twitter who said the NBA should call Hansen's bluff and tell him they'll give him an expansion team right now for $800 million.
This is absolutely correct.

The upcoming relocation vote which will go Sacramento's way in a few days has absolutely nothing to do with Seattle or Seattle's offer.

To be honest I think that the Hansan group understands this, and this entire bid-upping is a ploy to gain additional public sympathy when the BoG votes in favor of Sacramento.
What I don't understand is what this does for Hansan. He doesn't need public sympathy, he needs BoG votes sometime in the future and he could be raising the price tag on his expansion team if it does become available in the future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This is absolutely correct.

The upcoming relocation vote which will go Sacramento's way in a few days has absolutely nothing to do with Seattle or Seattle's offer.

To be honest I think that the Hansan group understands this, and this entire bid-upping is a ploy to gain additional public sympathy when the BoG votes in favor of Sacramento.
What I don't understand is what this does for Hansan. He doesn't need public sympathy, he needs BoG votes sometime in the future and he could be raising the price tag on his expansion team if it does become available in the future.
Agreed. This smacks of the same kind of twisted logic that cost Seattle their team in the first place. Maybe it's all that rain combined with way too much caffeine?

Once again, the Hansen/Ballmer agreement with the Maloofs is contingent upon them being able to move the team
. Since the NBA is not going to rubber stamp the relocation, this is truly much ado about nothing.

I never heard of that, infact I don't think its true... Ballmer told KJR in Seattle that hbn have the right to request a sale vote without relocation.. i think these slimy ****** have no moral problem pulling a clay bennett here..

Moreover I think the cash is to convince the Magoofs to hold out on a final deal with us, because they could come up with a more lucrative deal once again with HBN - hopefully the NBA stomps that out and makes clear there will be no further deals with HBN/Maloofs

So he's going behind the NBA's back again and trying to up the offer. Nice...

It's still 100% that the Kings will stay in Sac so it's no biggie.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson said the city "felt very confident" about keeping the Kings in California.

"The NBA leadership and owners have always said that their decision would not be dictated by a bidding war. This was always about whether Sacramento, a community that has supported the NBA for 28 years, can put together a plan and organization to ensure the franchise can rebuild and thrive," he said in a statement.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/...ups-kings-bid-75-million-to-total-625-million

I never heard of that, infact I don't think its true... Ballmer told KJR in Seattle that hbn have the right to request a sale vote without relocation.. i think these slimy ****** have no moral problem pulling a clay bennett here..

Moreover I think the cash is to convince the Magoofs to hold out on a final deal with us, because they could come up with a more lucrative deal once again with HBN - hopefully the NBA stomps that out and makes clear there will be no further deals with HBN/Maloofs

How? If the team is not moving (which the NBA will vote for) how will there be a "more lucrative" offer to keep the team in Sac? And do you honestly believe that Hansen will pay as much as he's paying for a team that's not able to relocate?

Please....... This is a non issue once the NBA votes down the relocation.

Everybody with any knowledge of the NBA has been waiting to see what Hansen's last-ditch desperation move would be. This is not unexpected. Just remember Larry Ellison. If money was the only factor, he'd own a team.
This is not their last-ditch desperation move. Their last-ditch desperation move is going to be, once they're voted down, to sign an agreement with the Maloofs where they give them a ridiculous non-refundable deposit ($100M) and free tenancy at Key arena for the next 2 years in exchange for them moving the team to Seattle without the league's consent AND giving HBN the rights to buy the team after it's been moved to Seattle for a ridiculous amount ($600M+ minus the deposit).

The clowns will take the money, move the team without NBA approval, and the sh* will hit the fan.

I agree with the earlier statement - the NBA should call their bluff and say "fine, you get an expansion team for $600M, no revenue sharing and no sharing of TV revenue until the next TV contract". Let's see what they do then!

This is not their last-ditch desperation move. Their last-ditch desperation move is going to be, once they're voted down, to sign an agreement with the Maloofs where they give them a ridiculous non-refundable deposit ($100M) and free tenancy at Key arena for the next 2 years in exchange for them moving the team to Seattle without the league's consent AND giving HBN the rights to buy the team after it's been moved to Seattle for a ridiculous amount ($600M+ minus the deposit).

The clowns will take the money, move the team without NBA approval, and the sh* will hit the fan.

I agree with the earlier statement - the NBA should call their bluff and say "fine, you get an expansion team for $600M, no revenue sharing and no sharing of TV revenue until the next TV contract". Let's see what they do then!
So when it comes time to schedule the NBA season do you honestly think they will schedule Seattle to play if this were to happen? I think not.

They put policies in place after the Sterling debacle. I am not privy to all of them, but I know they do not want to let owners just move a team without the consent of the NBA.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

The NBA will not let Ballmer buy the team and keep it in Sacramento unless he has an arena deal equivalent to what the Sacramento ownership group brings to the table. He doesn't have one. If Ballmer tries to pull a Bennett, and say he will get an arena deal if he's allowed to buy the team, he will be laughed out of the room. The NBA is not going to let that happen again.

This is the latch-ditch effort we all knew was coming. It's why the process has been called "a knife fight in a phone booth." It's ugly and messy and predictable.

I am totally confident of the vote on Wednesday. The 7-0 committee recommendation vote was a strong message that cities who do everything they're asked to do AND commit to a public/private partnership with the NBA are going to be rewarded. Those who spit in the face of the NBA will not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So when it comes time to schedule the NBA season do you honestly think they will schedule Seattle to play if this were to happen? I think not.

They put policies in place after the Sterling debacle
. I am not privy to all of them, but I know they do not want to let owners just move a team without the consent of the NBA.
EXACTLY!!!

The Maloofs can move the team to Seattle and sell it to Hansen, but it's gonna be a long season when you don't have any games scheduled.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not $600 million, since they're already offering more than that. The Twitter amount was $800 million.

Sounds like they're simply setting themselves up to be let down. As if they're building a bigger case against the NBA BOG. "How can they possibly reject us? 75 million!":rolleyes:

The sad thing is, I think they seriously believe that this making some sort of positive impact. They just look foolish at this point.

How? If the team is not moving (which the NBA will vote for) how will there be a "more lucrative" offer to keep the team in Sac? And do you honestly believe that Hansen will pay as much as he's paying for a team that's not able to relocate?

Please....... This is a non issue once the NBA votes down the relocation.

The team isn't moving this year... If ownership here pulls a clay bennett, scorches the earth, attendance and sponsorship goes down, and the ownership/arena deals here dissipate it becomes a different story... I wouldn't put it past hbN to wish to try, given what I've seen of their moral standard, and how desperate they might be for a team

Last edited:
yes, but....if money wasn't important, then why did Stern tell Vivek to match the Seattle offer? There's a reason that the NBA didn't want the Maloofs to lose money on the deal...

yes, but....if money wasn't important, then why did Stern tell Vivek to match the Seattle offer? There's a reason that the NBA didn't want the Maloofs to lose money on the deal...
original offer

When Hansen raised to $550, we were still at the $525 mark and are still at it from what I've read. It was always about matching the original offer.

The team isn't moving this year... If ownership here pulls a clay bennett, scorches the earth, attendance and sponsorship goes down, and the ownership/arena deals here dissipate it becomes a different story... I wouldn't put it past hbN to wish to try, given what I've seen of their moral standard, and how desperate they might be for a team
Hansen will not own the Kings in Sacramento. Period.... The NBA is through dealing with people trying to move the Kings from Sacramento and anyone with the intentions that Hansen has will not own the team here. End of story.

Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow 14m

I've talked to several #NBA people today who say the increased bid will have no impact on vote this week #NBAKings #Seattle

Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow 13m

The #NBA asked for a 50% deposit "the #Sacramento group reached in their pocket and made the deposit like they were buying a candy bar"

Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow 12m

#Seattle has to get its head around the idea this decision is not about that market! It's about keep the #NBAKings in Sac! #NBAKings

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
original offer

When Hansen raised to $550, we were still at the $525 mark and are still at it from what I've read. It was always about matching the original offer.
This. Look, the Maloofs submitted a BINDING offer (their words) for $525 million. That is the offer that needed to be matched.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Latest from Twitter (read bottom to top):

Kevin Johnson ‏@KJ_MayorJohnson 51m

We look forward to talking with all of them again in Dallas.

Kevin Johnson Kevin Johnson ‏@KJ_MayorJohnson 52m

I believe the owners realize that there is far more to think about than just an increased bid. They know what this story means to the NBA.

Carmichael Dave Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 52m

Pssst: You can't have a one-sided bidding war....

Kevin Johnson Kevin Johnson ‏@KJ_MayorJohnson 53m

The ownership group, the city, and the community have shown the NBA, without any shred of doubt, that the Sacramento Kings belong in Sac.

Kevin Johnson Kevin Johnson ‏@KJ_MayorJohnson 53m

can put together a plan and organization to ensure the franchise can rebuild and thrive.

Kevin Johnson Kevin Johnson ‏@KJ_MayorJohnson 54m

This was always about whether Sacramento, a community that has supported the NBA for 28 years... cont'

Kevin Johnson Kevin Johnson ‏@KJ_MayorJohnson 55m

The NBA leadership and owners have always said that their decision would not be dictated by a bidding war.

Unfortunately this is more trying to set up the antitrust argument than anything else. Its a bribe to the Maloofs.
Exactly. To prevent them from taking the Sacramento offer once the Seattle deal becomes void.

I would absolutely LOVE IT if the Clowns reject Sacramento's offer after the Seattle move is rejected, then Stern comes up and announces plans to offer an expansion team to Seattle and Vancouver the very next day, effectively plummeting the value of the King's franchise to a more reasonable $350M and sending the Clowns into a suicidal depression when they realize they lost $100M.

So if it is to set up antitrust suit, then it would be Maloofs saying They lost out on 65% of 100mil to increase damages in suit against the league

Also Is Hansen thinking all other 29 Owners now thinking that their team value all just went up 75 Million each and

the owners avoid an anti-trust suit.

I am concerned that this could be the Ultimate show down between RAW GREED and WHAT IS RIGHT THING TO DO

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Senator Steinberg: This is not about how much $ wealthy investors can throw into the pot in desperation to overcome our good faith efforts.

None of this worries me. It didn't worry me much before the bog recommendation and it certainly doesn't keep me up at night now. I'm not really even annoyed with HBN. I think most people could have predicted these HBN moves months ago. This was all expected and never really mattered in the first place. We had the right leadership in place during the right era and because of that we were always going to win.