Cat out of bag and other latest news, rumors, etc.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
okay, so, I did have all those considerations at my disposal, like a day ago, yet somehow I couldn't think of those anymore. I clearly need more sleep. thanks.
The Maloofs also owe the NBA over 100 million dollars. The conversation should look something like this: "The relocation and sale fail by unanimous vote, now we have the offer on the table from the local buyers, If you accept this offer there is a check for 200 mill waiting for you down stairs. We have deducted the money you owe the NBA and the city of Sac. If you do not accept the offer it is voided and will be remade at fair market value for your share in the team (about 200 mill) and we are now calling in your loan. By the way our next conversation will get nasty."

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Well, if the relocation to Seattle is being denied, then so will the sale.The only deal left is the Sacramento deal. By rejecting the sale to Seattle the league is basically telling the Clowns to take the Sacramento offer. If they don't take it, they're screwing themselves as the league has made it clear that the team is not moving. The next offer to buy the team and keep it in town is going to be in the $350-$400 million range. The Clowns are not going to risk losing that much money, so they're going to take the offer.

And, if they don't... well then there's that whole "best interests of the league" thing to be looked at.
Exactly. When relocation is turned down, Hansen's offer is off the table (based on the reporting that the offer is only good if the team can relocate). After that, if they don't accept the bid from Sacramento that the NBA considers binding, value of the team plummets the next time an offer is made.

Maloofs will get their dollars, but the team stays.

About the agreement for us to limit our share of the supplemental revenue sharing until we get into the new arena where we will take none at all - is this contractually enforcable? In other words did we just pledge verbally that is what we are aiming for as part of the presentation, or something that will legally bind this franchise?

Warhawk

Staff member
About the agreement for us to limit our share of the supplemental revenue sharing until we get into the new arena where we will take none at all - is this contractually enforcable? In other words did we just pledge verbally that is what we are aiming for as part of the presentation, or something that will legally bind this franchise?
Unknown, however if the team pays enough in salary we wouldn't get the $$$ anyways. I think this is just an acknowledgement of that fact wrapped in a way to make our offer look good to the league. We basically gave up nothing.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I have a feeling that Vivek's word is as good as a contract. Major difference between BM and him. A breath of fresh air to the NBA and that point has not been missed by the other owners. Granted there is nothing like a contract but for once, this area will have an ownership we can trust. I trust them but I'm kinda easy.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The NBA isn't telling the Maloofs who to sell the team to, they are telling them that the other owners discussed it and they don't think moving the team to a different city at this time is in the best interest of the league. If they're serious about selling the team, they'd be dumb not to take an offer that is $16 million less but is already pre-approved by the league. If they are so spiteful that they'd rather go through this mess again, I suppose we'll see what's going to happen but I suspect David Stern is going to make it very clear to them that they do not want to take that option.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The NBA isn't telling the Maloofs who to sell the team to, they are telling them that the other owners discussed it and they don't think moving the team to a different city at this time is in the best interest of the league. If they're serious about selling the team, they'd be dumb not to take an offer that is $16 million less but is already pre-approved by the league. If they are so spiteful that they'd rather go through this mess again, I suppose we'll see what's going to happen but I suspect David Stern is going to make it very clear to them that they do not want to take that option.
Now, now, you don't think Stern is vindictive, do you? ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We don't know all the ins and outs of the two offers. We do know, however, the amount of net money to the Maloofs is virtually the same. David Stern has said so more than once.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
We don't know all the ins and outs of the two offers. We do know, however, the amount of net money to the Maloofs is virtually the same. David Stern has said so more than once.
To be fair the dollar for dollar match to the BM may be considering the original $525 mill offer not the raised amount of $550 that H/B offered as soon as the locals agreed to the binding offer the NBA wanted. So the current offer from Randive may be $16 mill less to the Maloofs. If so they may have to decide between a $200 mill sure thing or a long shot at $216 mill in a few years after a long protracted court battle and likely having the team taken by the league, at the risk of having to accept market value which would leave them with about 40-50 mil after the NBA and city get paid back. Not a very difficult decision, I think even George can handle this one.

The Maloofs also owe the NBA over 100 million dollars. The conversation should look something like this: "The relocation and sale fail by unanimous vote, now we have the offer on the table from the local buyers, If you accept this offer there is a check for 200 mill waiting for you down stairs. We have deducted the money you owe the NBA and the city of Sac. If you do not accept the offer it is voided and will be remade at fair market value for your share in the team (about 200 mill) and we are now calling in your loan. By the way our next conversation will get nasty."
I want to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Twitter update: The account of the fan (@dah_knee) who leaked the DM to KJR has been suspended.

Lesson learned: Don't mess with the NBA.

Not to get ahead of things, but is there anything planned on the night of May 15th? I know in the past we have had parties and Ceasar Chavez park, gatherings at Firestone, etc.

Warhawk

Staff member
Seattle just upped their bid, again! New team valuation - $625 million!!!

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 7m
BREAKING: Chris Hansen raise offer for Kings by $75 Million. to $625 Million valuation price
http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Chris-Hansen-75-million-to-Kings-offer-206957551.html

Also:

In an effort to further demonstrate the extent of our commitment to bring basketball back to Seattle, we have elected to voluntarily increase our proposed purchase price for the Sacramento Kings NBA Franchise by $75 million — from an enterprise value of $550 million to $625 million. In conjunction with our revised offer, we have also guaranteed to the NBA that the Franchise would be a revenue sharing payer in all years in Seattle.
http://www.sonicsarena.com/

Looks like they know the votes aren't there for Seattle and are just grasping at any straws they can. Won't do any good. ;)

Last edited:
According to Chris Daniels (via KHTK)

Chris Hansen ups his bid to $625 million dollars:mad::mad::mad:

More details to come. SEATTLE IS OFFICIALLY TRYING TO STEAL OUR TEAM!!!

These ****** are not going to leave us alone with our team... Even if the BOG votes these ****** down, does it give incentive for the Maloofs not to sell? I had a feeling it wasn't going to be so easy for us

I wouldn't brush this off so lightly. This is $100 mill more than what Vivek is bringing to the table. It's very hard to ignore that...could be a potential game changer...they also agreed to be a revenue sharing payee, including their years in Key Arena. That's going to get owner's attention. I don't understand how to post twitter feeds, but he's the link to Chris Daniel's twitter account: https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5

hm. dunno what to make of this. the aggression of "upping the bid" to a total valuation of $625 million has to be viewed by the league as a poacher's mentality. at this point, it looks beyond desperate. things aren't going seattle's way, so they throw as much money at the problem as they can. not to mention, i have to assume that the nba is reviewing the proposed bids by seattle and sacramento, rather than these adjustments that hansen/ballmer are making to the sale price on the fly. that said, their "bid" is getting awfully steep. is this kinda money too much for the owners to turn down? i tend to believe they aren't for this level of over-inflation, but i just don't know anymore. i want it to be over...

I think that this move is the last grasp for anything on Seattle's part. They don't have the votes, they don't have the public backing from the NBA, and are now putting down the only thing they do have, money. It is a lot of money, but sometimes, the high bid doesn't win. It pales in comparison to what the NBA might gain by having a connection with India. It's just a rich guy who isn't used to losing, so he does what he knows and bids higher, not realizing that it isn't the point.

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 43s

League source with intimate knowledge of the Kings transaction: "No matter how much they kick and scream, this is not about SEA's offer."

Warhawk

Staff member
hm. dunno what to make of this. the aggression of "upping the bid" to a total valuation of $625 million has to be viewed by the league as a poacher's mentality. at this point, it looks beyond desperate. things aren't going seattle's way, so they throw as much money at the problem as they can. not to mention, i have to assume that the nba is reviewing the proposed bids by seattle and sacramento, rather than these adjustments that hansen/ballmer are making to the sale price on the fly. that said, their "bid" is getting awfully steep. is this kinda money too much for the owners to turn down? i tend to believe they aren't for this level of over-inflation, but i just don't know anymore. i want it to be over...
I believe this is key. The proposed, accepted bid for the team by Seattle has been matched by Sacramento. These last minute changes are not likely to sway anyone. The offers have been analyzed and recommendations given. And look again at the tweets regarding the recommendation. The decision isn't which offer has a higher $$$ amount, it is whether Sacramento has done enough to keep the team. It has.

Now if the Maloofs want to start holding out, then the NBA has to determine which actions it wants to take. But the Maloofs submitted a signed, "binding" agreement for evaluation. These "after the fact" price changes are meaningless. I doubt the BOG is giving them any consideration at all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wouldn't brush this off so lightly. This is $100 mill more than what Vivek is bringing to the table. It's very hard to ignore that...could be a potential game changer...they also agreed to be a revenue sharing payee, including their years in Key Arena. That's going to get owner's attention. I don't understand how to post twitter feeds, but he's the link to Chris Daniel's twitter account: https://twitter.com/ChrisDaniels5
Wrong all the way around.

IT ISN'T ABOUT THE MONEY. As Micky Arison made clear a couple of days ago, this is about Sacramento doing everything it has to do to keep the team. We've done that. Hansen raising the bid by $75 million is pure desperation and bravado - and it also makes it pretty clear he thinks the ONLY way he can win is by throwing more and more money at the Maloofs. It doesn't work that way.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Seattle's got nothing to lose right now. The money is coming from private investors. If they get voted down, they're no worse off than where they were 6 months ago -- a city without an NBA team. I don't much care what Seattle does anymore. It's still our team until it's not our team. And we're getting very close now to the final verdict. Less than a week away hopefully.

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 43s

League source with intimate knowledge of the Kings transaction: "No matter how much they kick and scream, this is not about SEA's offer."
And that's what this whole thing looks like to the NBA. These Seattle people are children throwing a fit.