Cat out of bag and other latest news, rumors, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mickey Arison (owner of Miami Heat) had a Twitter exchange with a Seattle fan. I linked to the whole exchange in the Sonic fan thread, but here's the part I found very interesting:

Arison: U don't get it. We are voting to leave or not Sac. I love Sea and will support a team there but honestly ur making it harder to support u.

Fan: Again Mr. Arison I'm not trhing to harass u. I want a NBA team back. 2008 was painful and so is now. If u tell me what I need to do to get...

Arison: U don't want 2understand. The question b4 the committee is has sac done all it should to keep the team. The answer is yes. not a vot abt sea

The fan is typical of a lot of Seattle folks. This is the first time, however, I've seen anything from a committee member about the relocation vote and it certainly echoes what most of us here had surmised. It's also a pretty clear indication that the BoG is NOT going to do anything to take away our Kings.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!

Unfortunately, I still dislike the Miami Heat. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Note: It appears the exchange between the Seattle guy and Arison was in a direct message, which the Seattle guy then leaked to KJR. Gotta wonder what action, if any, the NBA will take considering the main issue of the NBA's approach to the relocation issue has now been made public because of Arison's tweet. Ze cat is out of ze bag.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I put the link in the other thread and, to be honest, was too lazy to go back and grab it again. :)

sooo, the head of the finance comittee makes these kind of statements (in private that is, the guy that leaked this is going to bleed). this cautious optimism thing was fun for a while, I'm going for full-fledged now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can't figure out why Mickey Arison would even start a dialogue with a Seattle fan, let alone make comments that reveal the philosophy and reasoning of the committees, but he did...it's a verified account. Made me glad I'd stayed up and perused Twitter one more time... ;)

sooo, the head of the finance comittee makes these kind of statements (in private that is, the guy that leaked this is going to bleed). this cautious optimism thing was fun for a while, I'm going for full-fledged now.
Its a never ending story my friend, they still don't thinks its over. Guess whats up next for our friends up north, now they think they can sue .... the NBA, the owners, past owners, Carmichael Dave, STR, Kingsfans.com, KJ, the Sacramento River Cats heck I they might even sue VF21 at this rate ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Its a never ending story my friend, they still don't thinks its over. Guess whats up next for our friends up north, now they think they can sue .... the NBA, the owners, past owners, Carmichael Dave, STR, Kingsfans.com, KJ, the Sacramento River Cats heck I they might even sue VF21 at this rate ;)
Luckily, I know this lawyer guy ... wears a crown and carries a bat. I'm guessing he would love this kind of lawsuit. ;)

These seattle fans have got to be some of the densest people i've ever seen.
in fairness: every Sonics fan with the least bit of common sense is probably on suicide watch right now and not taking to social media. the guys we're seeing right now are the extremists and the densest of the dense.

I can't figure out why Mickey Arison would even start a dialogue with a Seattle fan, let alone make comments that reveal the philosophy and reasoning of the committees, but he did...it's a verified account. Made me glad I'd stayed up and perused Twitter one more time... ;)
Maybe it was a message to the maloofs and hansen/ballmer. He expected it to leak.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Maybe it was a message to the maloofs and hansen/ballmer. He expected it to leak.
My thought too. He HAD to know it would get out. Although I thought I read that he has been fined for speaking about topics when he shouldn't before......

In any case, obviously GREAT to read and it still just confirms Sacramento's whole approach to this - it is about us. It is about Sacramento's viability as a marketplace, our fan support, and our political leadership. It is about our whale pod knowing this market is sound and ready for the next step in Sacramento evolution in sports and downtown renovation.

Today is a good day.

My thought too. He HAD to know it would get out. Although I thought I read that he has been fined for speaking about topics when he shouldn't before......

In any case, obviously GREAT to read and it still just confirms Sacramento's whole approach to this - it is about us. It is about Sacramento's viability as a marketplace, our fan support, and our political leadership. It is about our whale pod knowing this market is sound and ready for the next step in Sacramento evolution in sports and downtown renovation.

Today is a good day.
yup. it was actually the single largest fine in NBA history (probably doesn't count the amount of money Artest forfeitted, when he had to basically sit out an entire season). would be surprising if he weren't fined on this as well, let's just hope for that poor Sonics guy that he won't have to pay part of it for leaking.

Anyone seen this tweet yet?

R.E. Graswich @REGraswich
Inside word is M's have been told to take Sac offer for Kings, period.
7:31 AM - 9 May 2013

Warhawk

Staff member

Nope, working and just periodically checking KF. But good find. The dominos continue to fall.

Arison: U don't want 2understand. The question b4 the committee is has sac done all it should to keep the team. The answer is yes. not a vot abt sea
^ Key phrase here. The Seattle folks just don't want to understand. They still think this is personal, that Stern is holding a grudge and is mad at them, especially since Chris Daniels has "exposed" him (LOL).

Warhawk

Staff member

The follow-ups aren't bad either:

R.E. Graswich‏@REGraswich

Once M's are officially gone, next steps will be much easier to work through. M's out soon.

Very complex site. Lots of details to be worked out. Nothing that can't be solved with patience, expertise & money.

Suspense on sale should end soon, with focus shifting to Downtown Plaza arena plan.

considering the main issue of the NBA's approach to the relocation issue has now been made public because of Arison's tweet.
Honestly I don't expect it's that big of a deal. He didn't say anything that Stern or Silver haven't said publicly multiple times. He might get in trouble with the league for talking about it if he wasn't supposed to, but he didn't say anything that hasn't already been said.

The big news is a) it's further confirmation that the owners are thinking the same thing Stern/Silver have been saying and b) Arison is the head of the finance committee according to Carmichael Dave so any faint hope a Seattle fan had of the finance committee or other owners feeling differently than the relocation committee is basically squashed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Honestly I don't expect it's that big of a deal. He didn't say anything that Stern or Silver haven't said publicly multiple times. He might get in trouble with the league for talking about it if he wasn't supposed to, but he didn't say anything that hasn't already been said.

The big news is a) it's further confirmation that the owners are thinking the same thing Stern/Silver have been saying and b) Arison is the head of the finance committee according to Carmichael Dave so any faint hope a Seattle fan had of the finance committee or other owners feeling differently than the relocation committee is basically squashed.
I agree with everything you've said, BUT I think it is a big deal. I also think it might have been intentional, as a way to prepare the Seattle fans for the announcement next week. Yes, it's nothing that hasn't actually been said before but maybe this time the Seattle folks will listen.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Seattle. Nail. Coffin.

Whether it is a big deal or not depends on how confident you feel about the 7-0 vote on relocation. As Arisen is from the fiance committee, put one more vote in the anti-Hansen column. That makes the magic number of 8, the number necessary to reject a sale to Hansen. Why else would the NBA want the entire amount of money in escrow if not to finish the sale as quickly as possible? The collection of the entire sales amount isn't a psychological ploy but simply (simply?) a step towards getting the money together to pay the Maloofs quickly. The draft and free agency are coming up and the new ownership group has a lot of work to do quickly. Although I suspect a coach and GM have already been contacted and are sewed up, nothing official can happen until money changes hands.

all snickering over potential lawsuits aside, can the NBA really tell the Maloofs to accept the Sacramento bid without overstepping some boundaries? or, maybe more relevantly: what tools do they have at their disposal to make the Maloofs cave? there's the loan from the NBA to the Maloofs, but aside from that?

all snickering over potential lawsuits aside, can the NBA really tell the Maloofs to accept the Sacramento bid without overstepping some boundaries? or, maybe more relevantly: what tools do they have at their disposal to make the Maloofs cave? there's the loan from the NBA to the Maloofs, but aside from that?
Well, if the relocation to Seattle is being denied, then so will the sale.The only deal left is the Sacramento deal. By rejecting the sale to Seattle the league is basically telling the Clowns to take the Sacramento offer. If they don't take it, they're screwing themselves as the league has made it clear that the team is not moving. The next offer to buy the team and keep it in town is going to be in the $350-$400 million range. The Clowns are not going to risk losing that much money, so they're going to take the offer.

And, if they don't... well then there's that whole "best interests of the league" thing to be looked at.

Short answer: David Stern.

Well, if the relocation to Seattle is being denied, then so will the sale.The only deal left is the Sacramento deal. By rejecting the sale to Seattle the league is basically telling the Clowns to take the Sacramento offer. If they don't take it, they're screwing themselves as the league has made it clear that the team is not moving. The next offer to buy the team and keep it in town is going to be in the $350-$400 million range. The Clowns are not going to risk losing that much money, so they're going to take the offer.

And, if they don't... well then there's that whole "best interests of the league" thing to be looked at.
okay, so, I did have all those considerations at my disposal, like a day ago, yet somehow I couldn't think of those anymore. I clearly need more sleep. thanks.