Can Fox become in future as good as Lillard?

So looking at the western conference who are the top point guards?

In no order top 6:
Cp3
Luka (personally dont consider him one so made top 6)
Curry
Jamal Murray
Lillard
Fox

You can argue Fox is top 4 if you dont count Luka, with cp3 lillard and curry ahead.
Well first of all, you wonder whether you need to look at all guards or only PGs, and if so, who counts as a PG. Given that the all-NBA and all-star lists don't differentiate PG and SG, I'd say you should just consider guards. If you really want, you can exclude guys who don't do much primary ball-handling e.g. Klay, but that doesn't narrow the list very much.

Secondly, why are you only looking at the West unless your concern is only all-star selections? And if so, the guard criteria again applies, and you have Mitchell, Klay, Oladipo, CJ, Ja, Booker, D-Lo, DeRozan to think about, 4-5 of whom one could argue are PGs as well, and in any case with players moving around more than ever it makes no sense to look at this as a static thing. Harden and Westbrook just moved East over one year.

Can y’all stop bringing up Dame, it’s a sensitive subjects. Imagine him and Boogie, with I.T as the 6th man... pain.
We could have easily had the Blazers backcourt, but instead:

2012: We drafted Thomas Robinson at #5 (Lillard went #6).
2013: We drafted Ben McLemore at #7 (CJ went #10).

So, we drafted a career scrub (BMac) and a guy who is playing in Turkey now (TRob) in lieu of a future HOF'er and future NBA All-Star.

#kangz

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

So, we drafted a career scrub (BMac) and a guy who is playing in Turkey now (TRob) in lieu of a future HOF'er and future NBA All-Star.

#kangz
#babcatz
#cavalaarz

KD said that Fox has absolute All NBA potential.... I dont think he will ever have the skill to shoot like Lillard ever...but there other ways he can reach All NBA level in next 2-3 years, both Steph and Dame will be in mid 30s....Ja morant is another guy who doesnt shoot well......Trea Young is dubbed being next steph or Dame, but i dont think his build physically for it, his 3 pointer this season took huge dive

#kangz
ouch....and we could have had Luka also......The Kings just are not good evaluating Talent....its simple as that. Fox is only great pick in decades

Ja Morant minus 74 in 4 games last week. That's an -18.5 per game average for the week.
Love Ja Morant. I was on record here before the 2019 draft believing that he might well end up as the best player from that draft.

That said, I never fell into the trap last season of believing he was better than Swipa. He gets more hype Nationally for some reason, and he is really, really good, but Swipa is the better player. Their head to head matchups thus far have suggested that too.

Swipa seems to take his matchups against Lonzo Ball and Ja Morant quite personally. Now someone needs to tell De’Aaron that Dame Lillard has been talking badly bout his mama. :p

Love Ja Morant. I was on record here before the 2019 draft believing that he might well end up as the best player from that draft.

That said, I never fell into the trap last season of believing he was better than Swipa. He gets more hype Nationally for some reason, and he is really, really good, but Swipa is the better player. Their head to head matchups thus far have suggested that too.

Swipa seems to take his matchups against Lonzo Ball and Ja Morant quite personally. Now someone needs to tell De’Aaron that Dame Lillard has been talking badly bout his mama. :p
I dont think Morant is near the player that Fox is. Fox is practically on a Derrick Rose level right now; gets to the rim whenever he wants and is completely uncheckable. It takes a team effort to even make him take a contested shot. He just made Kawhi Leonard look like he was playing matador defense.

Lillard is currently a top 10 NBA player in the league and has been consistently in the top 20 starting his rookie year. That's a very tough challenge for anyone to follow.

Fox has really elevated his play as a scorer. If he continues to get the keys and turn loose while putting up 20-25 shots a game with good efficiency, he will be in the conversation as a true star in this league. Legitimate star, but maybe not quite Dame level.

I see Fox as a future top 3 PG and top 15-20 player if he reaches his potential. It really comes down to his scoring. I think he'd end up more Kyrie than Lillard.

Fox is practically on a Derrick Rose level right now; gets to the rim whenever he wants and is completely uncheckable.
Swipa isn’t far behind Rose’s averages from his MVP season. So a pretty good comparison.

Although as crazy as it might seem, I believe De’Aaron can be even better than Rose was pre-injury. He has the ability to be a much better defender, for one. His shooting numbers, except FT’s, are better too. And have been for 2 of the past 3 seasons.

If this current stretch of shooting from all distances (again, except FT’s) continues and becomes the norm, he’s going to be making a strong case for best guard in the League.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
When you're talking potential with Fox, he's very hard to stop going to the basket and for the last couple weeks he's looked deadly shooting from three as well. Add the mid-range pull-up he perfected at Kentucky and his playmaking instincts and you have a very well-rounded offensive arsenal. Then you factor in that he's one of the best one-on-one defenders at his position in the league and he should be a top 5 PG for the bulk of his career. He won't get the All-Star respect unless the team wins and he won't get national recognition as an elite player unless he performs in the playoffs but with the trajectory he's on, we shouldn't be worried about either. It's only a matter of time before the rest of the league sees what we're seeing right now.

Swipa isn’t far behind Rose’s averages from his MVP season. So a pretty good comparison.
I think the proverbial "sky's the limit" w/Mr. Fox, so I'm not arguing your main point that he could insert himself into the best-NBA-guard conversation. But not sure that comparing Fox's stats to Rose's in his MVP year is the best way to make that case.

Relative to 2010-11, current offensive numbers are seriously inflated for reasons we know. Average points scored is 12 points higher now (112) vs. then (100), largely because the pace has increased significantly, from 92 to 100 possessions. Triple-doubles, now routine, were still relatively rare then. Shooting %s from 2, 3, and from the line have all ticked up. See here: https://bit.ly/3d9xY2v

All to say: DRose's MVP stats are more impressive in 2010-11 than the same stats would be today (though also worth noting that DRose played 4 mpg more than DFox has averaged so far).

I think the proverbial "sky's the limit" w/Mr. Fox, so I'm not arguing your main point that he could insert himself into the best-NBA-guard conversation. But not sure that comparing Fox's stats to Rose's in his MVP year is the best way to make that case.
I didn’t compare their stats to make that case. I made the comment regarding “the best guard in the league” as a parting shot. And under the qualifier that he continue his current level of play.

The stats comparison was in response to @Chupacabra ’s comment about Swipa playing at a Derrick Rose like level. While the game has changed since Rose‘s MVP season, the production is certainly comparable especially since (w/o looking it up) I’m pretty sure Rose’s usage was higher than Fox.

Regardless, I didn’t mention the numbers comparison as evidence to support the last statement.