Buddy gone?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Philadelphia probably fires Brown and gives Ben/Embiid one more run. And this my friends is how we get ourselves an all nba defender on a rookie deal. They will need shooting to go with Biid/Ben and Horford is an absolute terrible contract especially combined with Tobias Harris. Offer Buddy/Holmes for Thybull/Horford start Thybull at SF and Barnes at PF which seems to be better for him anyways. Thybull will be our wing defender guarding 1-4 and Horford could still space the floor and be a very good mentor
So now you think Philly will trade Thybull?

Hield AND Holmes for Thybull/Horford? Yeah, no thanks.

I think we’d have to think long and hard about doing that trade. I agree Horford on his own is a fat no thanks but it’s not every day you are offered an all NBA defender at the beginning of his career. You run the risk of letting Holmes go for nothing due to us not owning his bird rights and you also run the risk of a disgruntled Buddy holding this team back from taking the next steps. Thybulle is on a cheap rookie deal and already producing results as a modern wing that can guard positions 1-4. Horford is a low maintenance big on a overpaid contract sure, but this could be addition by subtraction. Fox and Bogie/Bagley get the shots Buddy was taking up and we can invest in our future bigs, without shooting ourselves in the foot again by staying pat and thinking we have enough to get over the hump as is. Fox, Bogie, and Buddy experiment has had 3+ years to get it together and show they can be productive and happy players while splitting the minutes and it doesn’t seem to have worked thus far, when do we finally say enough is enough and get something of value for the guy before our hands are tied and the only option we have left is to trade him for whatever scraps other teams are willing to offer at that point? You miss the window on selling high on Buddy and we could be in for another 3-5 years of average/below average basketball with a subpar record to show for it

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think we’d have to think long and hard about doing that trade. I agree Horford on his own is a fat no thanks but it’s not every day you are offered an all NBA defender at the beginning of his career. You run the risk of letting Holmes go for nothing due to us not owning his bird rights and you also run the risk of a disgruntled Buddy holding this team back from taking the next steps. Thybulle is on a cheap rookie deal and already producing results as a modern wing that can guard positions 1-4. Horford is a low maintenance big on a overpaid contract sure, but this could be addition by subtraction. Fox and Bogie/Bagley get the shots Buddy was taking up and we can invest in our future bigs, without shooting ourselves in the foot again by staying pat and thinking we have enough to get over the hump as is. Fox, Bogie, and Buddy experiment has had 3+ years to get it together and show they can be productive and happy players while splitting the minutes and it doesn’t seem to have worked thus far, when do we finally say enough is enough and get something of value for the guy before our hands are tied and the only option we have left is to trade him for whatever scraps other teams are willing to offer at that point? You miss the window on selling high on Buddy and we could be in for another 3-5 years of average/below average basketball with a subpar record to show for it
You make some fair points...but for me it's still a no. ;)

I think them getting an elite shooter and out of paying a back up big 81 million the next 3 years would make entice them to trade Thybull.

You make some fair points...but for me it's still a no. ;)
Why would the deal be a no for you? I think Thybull defense production with Horford just being an average player is a lot better than Buddy/Holmes

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think them getting an elite shooter and out of paying a back up big 81 million the next 3 years would make entice them to trade Thybull.

Why would the deal be a no for you? I think Thybull defense production with Horford just being an average player is a lot better than Buddy/Holmes
I don't. Plus I heartily dislike the idea of sending Richaun Holmes away.

I don't. Plus I heartily dislike the idea of sending Richaun Holmes away.
Turner is on an amazing contract you’re not gonna find many centers that are DPOY candidates and 3 point shooters. We can replace buddy with a shooter yes he’s an elite shooter but his defense isn’t good enough

I am a big fan of Buddy and believe he is a much better player than some on the board believe but it seems like this partnership is not going to end well. I missed the OKC game but his body language against the Warriors was not good. He looked like he didn't want to be there.

If we do trade Buddy, we are taking a pretty big risk unless we get back a proven player. Bogi is very inconsistent and we do have to worry about his health. If the Kings finish the season strong, things might be able to be hashed out. If we drop off and Buddy is still on the bench, I would imagine he will be in another uniform next season.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Buddy, but I wouldn't do the trade proposed, especially with Holmes thrown in. Giving up too much in my opinion. I'm a big Thybulle fan. I loved him at Washington, and still love him, but right now, he's still mostly potential. Horford is going to be 34 years old next year and will make around 27 mil. He's the kind of player you take a gamble on if you think your one piece from contending for a championship, not the 8th spot in the playoffs. Too big a gamble to take on for a player that age.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Buddy, but I wouldn't do the trade proposed, especially with Holmes thrown in. Giving up too much in my opinion. I'm a big Thybulle fan. I loved him at Washington, and still love him, but right now, he's still mostly potential. Horford is going to be 34 years old next year and will make around 27 mil. He's the kind of player you take a gamble on if you think your one piece from contending for a championship, not the 8th spot in the playoffs. Too big a gamble to take on for a player that age.
Myers Turner! Proven, young, and can make a case for being a more impact player than buddy

Myers Turner! Proven, young, and can make a case for being a more impact player than buddy
I like Turner, would love him here but why would they trade their starting young center in a great contract for a 27 year old player with a contact that a lot of people would consider bad to come off their bench. He wouldn’t start over Oladipo and 20+ million, for a bench player thats a lot. I think Turner may be traded but I think it would be for young talent, picks or someone who could come in and make an impact on their starting unit.

IMO if Buddy gets traded it’s going to be for someone that needs a change of scenery who didn’t fit the way the team envisioned. Horford has been talked about for a possible swap for Buddy. I’m not saying I would or wouldn’t do that trade but I think it could be a realistic option.

Is Buddy the best Indy could get for Turner? IMO no

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Me too. If they could do a sign and trade with Bogs involved, that would be great, but apparently these sign and trades are tough to do.

I like Turner, would love him here but why would they trade their starting young center in a great contract for a 27 year old player with a contact that a lot of people would consider bad to come off their bench. He wouldn’t start over Oladipo and 20+ million, for a bench player thats a lot. I think Turner may be traded but I think it would be for young talent, picks or someone who could come in and make an impact on their starting unit.

IMO if Buddy gets traded it’s going to be for someone that needs a change of scenery who didn’t fit the way the team envisioned. Horford has been talked about for a possible swap for Buddy. I’m not saying I would or wouldn’t do that trade but I think it could be a realistic option.

Sabonis/Turner isn’t gonna work they’re choosing between them and Sabonis is who there’re picking. Also the offer would be Buddy/Bjlecia/1st for Turner/McDermott.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I've thought the same thing. The guy that comes to mind is LaVine.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Thus far, I haven't seen reference to ANY disharmony in the locker room because of this. Watching how the team reacts when Buddy gets going, I have to believe they're not buying into the social media drama. In fact, I've seen a number of players (both on the Kings and elsewhere) drastically reduce their social media footprint.

Buddy says things that are easily taken the wrong way. He's emotional and mercurial in that regard. In this case, he didn't say anything. He liked a post that had his name in it. Am I glad he did it? Nope. Am I gonna lose any sleep over it or consider it a solid sign that he wants to leave? Nope.
Naps was saying a couple of days ago that there were three separate stories about Hield's dissatisfaction with the sub role. Then we have this "like" from Hield on a possible trade. Seems like enough smoke there to say that Buddy isn't happy with the situation and may be asking for a trade.

Sabonis/Turner isn’t gonna work they’re choosing between them and Sabonis is who there’re picking. Also the offer would be Buddy/Bjlecia/1st for Turner/McDermott.
I get it, I understand why Sabonis and Turner don’t work. Do you really think Buddy is the best thing Indiana could get for him? Buddy is older, makes more money and would be coming off their bench. Doesn’t seem like a smart trade for Indiana

I get it, I understand why Sabonis and Turner don’t work. Do you really think Buddy is the best thing Indiana could get for him? Buddy is older, makes more money and would be coming off their bench. Doesn’t seem like a smart trade for Indiana
I think with the 1st added and Bjlecia how many teams can offer a top 10-15 pick, plus an elite shooter, and a good vet in Bjlecia. I think the only team that can beat that offer is Boston with Smart/Memphis 1st and Theis

Other than being on a losing team, what is losing about him?
His style of play all offense no defense I don’t think we need that at all and doesn’t produce winning basketball. I’d rather get a guy like Aaron Gordon and put him at PF than Lavine who has an extremely high usage rate as well

I don’t think Buddy would get moved for a lateral in overall talent. I think he would need to be packaged for a star...a no-brainer decision. From Amick’s reporting, it does not sound like Vivek will be approving any of Vlade’s moves unless they are clear upgrades.

What about a Buddy, Holmes and 2 firsts for Bradley Beal? Beal seems unhappy in DC. He gets a new young team loaded with good talent and DC gets a top 5 in NBA elite shooter who can play well next to John wall (who you wont be able to offload), two 1st rounders and an athletic hardnoser who excels in the paint for wall to lob to on the cheap. Granted there is a clear gap in talent but you will never get equal talent back for a superstar. But with that said, that seems to be a great haul for DC and on par with what other superstars were traded for talent wise. You) Sacramento still can try to keep giles and len and you will get Bagley back which negates what holmes was needed for anyways (the two were fairly redundant). And this is from a huge holmes fan (same alma matter). They also get a top 2-3 shooting guard.

Last edited:
What about a Buddy, Holmes and 2 firsts for Bradley Beal? Beal seems unhappy in DC. He gets a new young team loaded with good talent and DC gets a top 5 in NBA elite shooter who can play well next to John wall (who you wont be able to offload), two 1st rounders and an athletic hardnoser who excels in the paint for wall to lob to on the cheap. Granted there is a clear gap in talent but you will never get equal talent back for a superstar. But with that said, that seems to be a great haul for DC and on par with what other superstars were traded for talent wise. You) Sacramento still can try to keep giles and len and you will get Bagley back which negates what holmes was needed for anyways (the two were fairly redundant). And this is from a huge holmes fan (same alma matter). They also get a top 2-3 shooting guard.
Im not sure about your proposed trade, Holmes is my favourite King’s bigman and two first?, however a Fox/Beal backcourt would be a thing of beauty.
I don’t know what’s going through Buddy’s head but if he does want out of Sacramento, give the Wizards a call.

Miya said Washington wants to see how Wall comes back which mean Beal won’t be available till February, too late to trade Buddy for a rental