Buddy and Bogdan’s extension?

The key to keeping the core and winning will be drafting well. When you have guys on rookie deals filling in key roles, like the raptors with Siakam and OG, it helps a lot.

If they have to keep spending 50 million on role players, this will not be sustainable. They will have to strike on a contributor every draft.

I think the team will regret not using the cap space on overpaid players paired with picks, rather than just overpaying players straight up.
If the deals that were handed out were longer i would whole heartedly agree with you. Taking a swing at a competitive season isnt the worst thing in the world. On another note Washington is preparing to offer Beal 3 years 111M smh.

The Game Theory podcast went into both of these this week. They think that Buddy should get 4/115 or 5/150 from the Kings at a slight discount to the inevitable Max offer he will receive in RFA (not sure I agree that is happening). They think that Bogi should play RFA because he will get a better offer that the 4/44 the Kings can offer.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Now we'll get to see what Brogdon looks like as a full on lead guard. I would expect his stats to go up and his efficiency to dip a bit like anyone else. Oladipo and he are an interesting pairing and a bit similar in what they do so it will either fit really well or be underwhelming. There won't be much middle ground unless one of them turns into a more off ball player. Oladipo tried that in OKC and it didn't really work for him.
Dipo suffered one of the worst injuries possible for a quick-twitch guard to have. There's no guarantee that he's going to ever be that guy he was in his season and a half in Indiana prior to injury.

gunks

Hall of Famer
The catch and shoot percentages of Buddy reaffirms he needs to catch and shoot more often. IMO, he needs to dribble and shoot less often.
I'm all about playing guys to their strengths, but Buddy has been steadily adding to his game since he came into the league.

If he can continue to improve on his ability to create his own offense, I'm all about him getting the in-game reps in!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If Buddy has another season that equals or exceeds last year, he’s worth every penny. The natural pessimist in me is fearing a slight regression. We’ll see.

After last year I don’t project Bogi as part of the “core” going forward. He can prove me wrong. He has the game, he just needs to play smart and not whatever the hell he was last season. I can accept being injured limiting a guy, but being hurt doesn’t mean you can exclusively play with your brain turned off.

If Buddy has another season that equals or exceeds last year, he’s worth every penny. The natural pessimist in me is fearing a slight regression. We’ll see.

After last year I don’t project Bogi as part of the “core” going forward. He can prove me wrong. He has the game, he just needs to play smart and not whatever the hell he was last season. I can accept being injured limiting a guy, but being hurt doesn’t mean you can exclusively play with your brain turned off.
Hopefully the injury was not to his head last year cause it seemed to hurt us more than his foot speed.

The catch and shoot percentages of Buddy reaffirms he needs to catch and shoot more often. IMO, he needs to dribble and shoot less often.
That's like saying his shooting percentage within 10 feet just reaffirms he should shoot less 3's. :rolleyes: Things happen in a game where Buddy needs to create his own shot or make something happen. This isn't a simulation where you just tell Buddy, "Hey only shoot a 3 if it's a catch and shoot kthx."

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That's like saying his shooting percentage within 10 feet just reaffirms he should shoot less 3's. :rolleyes: Things happen in a game where Buddy needs to create his own shot or make something happen. This isn't a simulation where you just tell Buddy, "Hey only shoot a 3 if it's a catch and shoot kthx."
Nope. I didn't say the stats indicate he should dribble less. I'm making that assertion based on observing every game he played last year. He's a 50-50 proposition when it comes to making a play off of the dribble in a half-court or semi-half court situation. Will he or won't he make a turnover? That is the question for Buddy Hield. Next year is not an 82 game training camp to improve Buddy's ball handling skills. It's about WINNING, which means not just winning games with his shooting, but not losing games with his turnovers. He needs to do more of what he does well - shoot off the catch - and do less of what he does less well - dribble and shoot.

Another thing that should be factored into the Buddy Hield and how he is used is the fact that Fox and Bagley are the twin towers on this team. They need the ball in their hands more, which means somebody is going to have the ball in his hands less - i.e. Buddy Hield. Catch. Shoot. Make a couple of dribbles here and there to get open or get someone else open are what is needed. But plays where he is 30' from the basket and trying to go in for a layup should be completely obliterated from his lexicon. They should be outlawed as a condition of his playing time. Buddy Hield can contribute greatly to the Kings getting into the playoffs next season, but only if he knows what his role is, and that ain't as a ballhandler.

Nope. I didn't say the stats indicate he should dribble less. I'm making that assertion based on observing every game he played last year. He's a 50-50 proposition when it comes to making a play off of the dribble in a half-court or semi-half court situation. Will he or won't he make a turnover? That is the question for Buddy Hield. Next year is not an 82 game training camp to improve Buddy's ball handling skills. It's about WINNING, which means not just winning games with his shooting, but not losing games with his turnovers. He needs to do more of what he does well - shoot off the catch - and do less of what he does less well - dribble and shoot.

Another thing that should be factored into the Buddy Hield and how he is used is the fact that Fox and Bagley are the twin towers on this team. They need the ball in their hands more, which means somebody is going to have the ball in his hands less - i.e. Buddy Hield. Catch. Shoot. Make a couple of dribbles here and there to get open or get someone else open are what is needed. But plays where he is 30' from the basket and trying to go in for a layup should be completely obliterated from his lexicon. They should be outlawed as a condition of his playing time. Buddy Hield can contribute greatly to the Kings getting into the playoffs next season, but only if he knows what his role is, and that ain't as a ballhandler.
I guess we didn't watch the same Buddy Hield last season. I never saw Buddy start to dribble and think to myself "Well this is a nightmare, this will end in a turnover half the time." You act like he's a liability when he puts the ball on the floor. He averaged 2.6 turnovers per 100 possessions last season which is a whole half a turnover worse than Klay Thompson. Now I'm not saying Buddy is the absolute best and has no room for improvement but to act like he is some turnover machine and should never dribble and if he doesn't make huge improvements in several areas that he should come off the bench is crazy talk.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I guess we didn't watch the same Buddy Hield last season. I never saw Buddy start to dribble and think to myself "Well this is a nightmare, this will end in a turnover half the time." You act like he's a liability when he puts the ball on the floor. He averaged 2.6 turnovers per 100 possessions last season which is a whole half a turnover worse than Klay Thompson. Now I'm not saying Buddy is the absolute best and has no room for improvement but to act like he is some turnover machine and should never dribble and if he doesn't make huge improvements in several areas that he should come off the bench is crazy talk.
Many times, too many times, he is a liability when he puts the ball on the floor. It's like an adventure: Is he going to fall off the cliff or make it to the mountain top? 146 turnovers; 205 assists. Lousy assist to to ratio, and there really is no need for it. Much of it I believe is Buddy just loves to touch that leather. Turnovers are a killer that prevents you from winning games: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7cjs7l
And it's not just the bad turnover, it's when the bad turnover occurs. And it's not just about untimely bad turnovers, it's about bad shots that are created by the love of the dribble.

Defining the roles for the players on this team is critical to getting to the playoffs. Players are going to have to sacrifice for the greater good - winning. And that means, imo, Buddy needs to dial back a lot his free lancing "woop, there it goes" dribbling adventure on the basketball court.
This also applies to Bogs, who engaged in a dribble fest to himself last year that led to nowhere.

The owner likes Buddy and he was a key in the trade but this upcoming year will determine what he should be paid.
I yeah he should not be getting the ball on the in bound when the ball should be in Fox’s hands in crunch time.

To me he needs to be pushing 25ppg to get the big bucks at his position.

Many times, too many times, he is a liability when he puts the ball on the floor. It's like an adventure: Is he going to fall off the cliff or make it to the mountain top? 146 turnovers; 205 assists. Lousy assist to to ratio, and there really is no need for it. Much of it I believe is Buddy just loves to touch that leather. Turnovers are a killer that prevents you from winning games: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7cjs7l
And it's not just the bad turnover, it's when the bad turnover occurs. And it's not just about untimely bad turnovers, it's about bad shots that are created by the love of the dribble.

Defining the roles for the players on this team is critical to getting to the playoffs. Players are going to have to sacrifice for the greater good - winning. And that means, imo, Buddy needs to dial back a lot his free lancing "woop, there it goes" dribbling adventure on the basketball court.
This also applies to Bogs, who engaged in a dribble fest to himself last year that led to nowhere.
So in your mind how many games did the bumbling Buddy Hield cost the Kings last year? Sounds like he must have been the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Do you think if we trade him now we could get anything in return or is it best to just waive him and see how he does in China? Let me know, thanks!

Are we still arguing, in a world where Devin Booker and Jamal Murray are sitting on max contracts, whether or not Buddy is getting at least near max money? The only question is 4 years, or 5. I feel like some of you folks haven’t looked at next year’s free agents. The best available go Jaylen Brown, maybe Brandon Ingram, and then Buddy. We can argue analytical semantics all day, but Buddy is getting a near max deal. NBA GMs talk a great game about analytics until it’s June 30 and they need to sign some big names. The pied piper of analytics, Morey, just traded for Westbrook of all people, because his other star wanted him and he can sell a narrative to his owner.

Are we still arguing, in a world where Devin Booker and Jamal Murray are sitting on max contracts, whether or not Buddy is getting at least near max money? The only question is 4 years, or 5. I feel like some of you folks haven’t looked at next year’s free agents. The best available go Jaylen Brown, maybe Brandon Ingram, and then Buddy. We can argue analytical semantics all day, but Buddy is getting a near max deal. NBA GMs talk a great game about analytics until it’s June 30 and they need to sign some big names. The pied piper of analytics, Morey, just traded for Westbrook of all people, because his other star wanted him and he can sell a narrative to his owner.
Isn't 4 years an easy call over 5? My understanding is that team can only have two players designated on 5-year rookie extensions at a time, and I'd guess they have those earmarked for Fox and Bagley.

If Bogi plays well, I hope Vivek is willing to pay him. Not much Vlade can do if long term expected payroll gets too high for what Vivek wants to spend.
Both Bogdan and the Kings have to see how his role works out first. The Kings might be in a bit of a pickle with him like the Bucks were with Brogdon. There will be suitors for Bogdan next summer considering that FA class. In a perfect world he's the teams new Bobby Jackson but if things aren't being maximized early on in the year it may be time to recoup some value ASAP. If the Kings let a Brogdon situation occur and hang onto him because they thirst for success this year it's an option, but it's an option that might leave the Kings less than heading into next year when they lose him for nothing.