Bucks win the Draft Lottery?!

The Draft Lottery

The Bucks just grabbed first place with what i think is a 7% chance, beating Atlanta and ..the Blazers? Lets all be glad it wasnt the lakers who got that lucky pick there.

;)

like i siad in the other post about the draft lottery, its a good thing for us, man we need all the help we can get. i really wasnt expecting us to win, omg im soooo happy! yipee!!!!

SacTownKid said:
Bogut will be an All-star.
I don't think there's good precedent for a guy with his athleticism to be an All Star. He was just the biggest guy in college basketball last year, at least from what I saw of him.

I would say the Bucks should go for Marvin Williams rather than Bogut. I think he has tons more potential and can really be a star in the league

T[MaC] said:
I would say the Bucks should go for Marvin Williams rather than Bogut. I think he has tons more potential and can really be a star in the league
I disagree because they already got Desomnd Mason at SF and they don't need another one. they should get Bogut so they don't have to resign Dan Gadzurick and thn the kIngs can get him. :D

The man that represented the Bucks was really nervous or shocked because his hands were shaking the whole time ESPN interviewed him.

Congrats to the BUCKS!

Desmond Mason is too small to play the 3, even though he's done a decent job of it the last 2 seasons. The Bucks do have a severely weak frontcourt, but I think Marvin Williams will be the better player and down the road the Bucks might not be kicking themselves for taking Bogut because they sound like they won't even consider anyone else, but it'll be one of those years where you look back and wonder why everyone got caught up in the Big Man Hype instead of just going for the best player.

Kev.in said:
Desmond Mason is too small to play the 3, even though he's done a decent job of it the last 2 seasons. The Bucks do have a severely weak frontcourt, but I think Marvin Williams will be the better player and down the road the Bucks might not be kicking themselves for taking Bogut because they sound like they won't even consider anyone else, but it'll be one of those years where you look back and wonder why everyone got caught up in the Big Man Hype instead of just going for the best player.
I'm no fan of Bogut, but who else do they take? Marvin Williams? I only watched the NCAA tourney (none of the regular season), but I barely saw glimpses of anything that would make me think he should be the #1 pick. It's not as if he pulled a Carmelo and almost singlehandedly willed his team to an NCAA title. Jawad Williams outperformed him in the Final Four game vs. MSU.

Melo out of college is probally, well definitely, more refined than Marvin, but this is a different draft. In any normal year Melo would have been, well, should have been the consensus #1, this year there is no consensus and only a group of 3 who seem destine for the top 3 picks. Marvin showed glympses of greatness all year long. He did struggle in games 3-6 in the NCAA though.

Marvin's strengthes are his athletics, his shooting ability (2 and 3 pointers atleast NCAA range), his height and size and his age 19 I believe. As we all know the high schoolers in the NBA are dominating now, and Marvin is basically a high schooler, so the pick wouldn't suprise me.

4cwebb said:
I'm no fan of Bogut, but who else do they take? Marvin Williams? I only watched the NCAA tourney (none of the regular season), but I barely saw glimpses of anything that would make me think he should be the #1 pick. It's not as if he pulled a Carmelo and almost singlehandedly willed his team to an NCAA title. Jawad Williams outperformed him in the Final Four game vs. MSU.
Williams is better than Bogut, so yeah, that's who they should take.

Bogut wasn't anything special in the tournament either. The NCAA Tournament is overrated anyway. I remember one year (2000 maybe) where Harold Arceneaux tore it up, I believe he even set a scoring record of some sort. I don't think he even got drafted. There are usually a couple of guys who who boost their stock based off their tournament play, the rest of the tournament performances are pretty irrelevant when it comes to the NBA draft.

it would be perfect if we can get Sean May (ranked as 21)...I know Brick will scream "UNDERSIZED" but great player with high basketball IQ

I remember John Wallace out of the Cuse had an incredible tourney run 1 year, yeah he was pretty "good", on the Knicks.

Guys who boosted there stock due to the tourney, of course our very own Bibby, he's pretty good, no? Okafor/Gordon last year. Melo. There's also a ton of guys in the NBA who are pretty good who never did anything that impressive at the tourney level.

Evenstar said:
wow, i didn't see the bucks winning it. i thought atlanta would.
The team with the worst record has only won the 1st pick 4 times since the current format was instituted sometime after the Magic got Webber in 93. By current, I mean their current system of assigning 4-digit combinations to the teams and picking four balls from a drum holding 14 balls numbered 1-14. One of Milwaukee's 4-digit combinations was chosen first, thus they won the 1st pick. One of Portland's was chosen third, thus they got the 3rd pick. Utah got the biggest shaft, falling to 6th because two teams bumped up. Portland had actually screwed themselves on the final day of the year by beating LAL and losing a tiebreaker with some other team. Iirc, that cost them 19 combos, yet they still won the 3rd pick. If you're wondering, the last time anyone with the 10th+ best record in the lottery got a top 3 pick, it was the Charlotte Hornets in 1999. They had the best record of all the other lotto teams, yet won the 3rd pick, giving them Baron Davis.

Before the current system, they picked individual ping pong balls with team names on them. In 93, Orlando got the 1st pick with only 1 ball in a drum holding 66 balls. Before that, they used to draw actual envelopes. They would pull them out until 3 remained and then the top 3 picks would be awarded in order of their subtraction. That's how NY won the Ewing sweepstakes over Indy in 85. Indy conspiracy theorists claimed that one of the remaining two envelopes was weighted so the guy picking would know which envelope belonged to NY.

The supposed benefit of the current system is that it increases the sample size to 1001 possible combinations. The team with the worst record gets 250 chances at a top 3 pick instead of the 20 or so they had before 93.

Last edited:
Kev.in said:
Williams is better than Bogut, so yeah, that's who they should take.

Bogut wasn't anything special in the tournament either. The NCAA Tournament is overrated anyway. I remember one year (2000 maybe) where Harold Arceneaux tore it up, I believe he even set a scoring record of some sort. I don't think he even got drafted. There are usually a couple of guys who who boost their stock based off their tournament play, the rest of the tournament performances are pretty irrelevant when it comes to the NBA draft.
If they're going to take Williams, then they need to move Desmond Mason (or sign and trade Michael Redd) --- no reason to keep all three of those guys on the same team, imho, and they could use some help on the frontline (especially as far as scoring goes). How's the TJ Ford recovery project coming along?