Bryant: "Lakers-Kings No Longer a Rivalry"

Kobe Bryant says that because Shaq, Phillip, Payton, Fox, Fisher and Malone are gone that "the rivalry between the Kings and Lakers does not exist anymore". Then he goes on to say that "Their center plays for us now....we got out of the rivalry without them beating us once in the playoffs"

Do Kings Fans agree with that?

In my opinion, as long as we still have Chris, Peja, Bibby, Bobby and Doug and as long as Kobe Bean Bryant and Vlade Divac is wearing Laker gear it ain't over. Kobe can punk out if he wants to, but I think this rivalry will continue, especially (God forbid) if the Lakers get the best of us this season.

Purple Reign said:
"Their center plays for us now....we got out of the rivalry without them beating us once in the playoffs."
Kobe can play it down all he wants, but as long as comments like that are being said, it will continue to be a rivalry. Especially, among fans.

I believe that is true. The rivalry of the last five years is over. The Lakers got out of the rivalry without the Kings beating them in the playoffs. It is possible that some new event could re-spark the rivalry - a heated playoff encounter, more trash talking, another fight - but it is not likely.

That doesn't mean the Kings fans like the Lakers, or the Lakers fans like the Kings. Of course there is still a rivalry in some sense, because they are in the same division and geogpraphic rivals as well, but the specific battle of the last five years is over.

Well I thought about that the other day... It still may be a rivalry, but it will never be the same rivalry without shaq, horry, fox and those others on the lakers. IMO it's not really the same rivalry to me anymore, but thats just my opinion

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How pathetic is that?

Kobe Bryant having to say "Their center plays for us now....we got out of the rivalry without them beating us once in the playoffs."

Yeah, whatever.

Our team isn't the one that imploded. And, quite frankly, our starting center is still right where he is supposed to be - wearing #52 and getting ready for tonight's game.

I guess we should just take solace from the fact that the mighty Bryant at least acknowledged there WAS a rivalry, even if it's gone now.

BTW? Someone should let the Laker fans know. Some of them are talking about tonight's game as though it's the second round of the playoffs. Apparently they didn't get the memo about the rivalry being over.

;)

Kobe is just trying to find an excuse...because the KINGS will run right over them this year. neener neener nee ner KOBE WHAHAAHAhahaa

VF21 said:
BTW? Someone should let the Laker fans know. Some of them are talking about tonight's game as though it's the second round of the playoffs. Apparently they didn't get the memo about the rivalry being over.

;)
I'll tell them.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Kobe is right, after being dumped by the Lakers organization Shaq, Payton, Fox and Fisher are no longer involved in any kind of rivelry with the Kings, and if one defines a rival as a bitterly contested set of grudge games like the 2002 WCF, those days are done as well. So in April when Kobe is watching the Kings in the Play offs while Dr. Buss is assuring him that some of the top 5 picks they have to choose from look promising, Kobe can then reasure himself that the Rivelery is over... untill the Lakers can rise to the level of worthy oponent.

Last edited:
Do Kings fans hate Laker fans?
Do Laker fans hate Kings fans?

From everything I've seen over the summer the rivalry is still alive and well. After we put a couple beat-downs on the Lakers their fans will quiet up and we son't hear about it as much, but it's still there. Along with my personal rivalry with those Jazz... stupid Jazz.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I would generally agree with Kobe about the rivalry, but is precisely diarrhea of the mouth like this that got the rivalry started in the first place, so just keep on yapping Kobe. Nice to know that the arrogance lives on.

I just went to the Lakers board for the first time. Laughing about all the comments on how the only way the Kings beat Lakers is if Adelman plays our starters lots of minutes. I don't think that will happen, since it's only preseason and they may still be jet lagged. Reminds me of why I hate Lakers fans and why I went to school out east, so I don't have to hear about this all basketball season long.

Hopefully, I won't fall asleep before the game starts.
Jess