[Game] Kings vs. Warriors, 10/27/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Battle of I-80 begins anew (unless you count that preseason game)!

The incestuous budding rivalry between the Kings and those other guys from San Francisco kicks off another season of basketball in Golden 1 Center. Not there for the festivities? Draymond Green, who is obviously ducking Sabonis.
The Warriors played the Suns pretty tough in their opening game but also looked every bit as old as they are. De’Aaron also signed with Steph’s shoe brand so that’s cool I guess.
Be there, be loud, be mean to the Warriors, who deserve it.

Adjusting VF21’s favorite anti-rival phrase for this new era (even though the Lakers can still go screw)…

DIE WARRIOR SCUM!

Go Kings!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to be a real fun one here. Curious what sort of adjustments we'll make from the playoff series and if a healthy Domas hand helps him take advantage of all that space they gave him in the playoffs. Was so good seeing him nail a 3 vs Utah and look confident shooting it.
Given that Draymond is out and they'll have to play Looney big minutes, this is definitely a key. My guess is that Looney stays on the floor whenever Domas does since TJD is their only other real option to guard Sabonis. If so, his ability to hit the outside jumper may be crucial.

Given that Draymond is out and they'll have to play Looney big minutes, this is definitely a key. My guess is that Looney stays on the floor whenever Domas does since TJD is their only other real option to guard Sabonis. If so, his ability to hit the outside jumper may be crucial.
Yeah, Domas actually wasn't bad shooting in the playoffs. I believe like 42%. And he was like 46% in the regular season. It was more the fact he was just unwilling to shoot it, even though he often was getting like 10+ feet of space from the defender. I'm still really curious what the shift was for him because I never really accounted him being hesitant in the regular season to pull wide open jumpers. My guess remains is he had a setback with his hand and just couldn't really feel the ball correctly. His handle and usually sure-fire hands were a lot more loose than normal too.

I think Keegan attacking too is the other big adjustment we need to feed into. They're trying to hide Steph on him and we saw it a little bit in the preseason where Keegan was willingly start to attack that match-up. In the playoffs, they basically knew Keegan was a stand-alone 3pt shooter and wouldn't do anything on-ball. The aggressive Keegan we've seen so far this year forces the Warriors to hopefully play him more standard and get a better matchup.

Would also really help if Huerter and HB just.. you know. Play NBA basketball like the starting caliber players they are rather than totally unplayable as they were for 95% of that series.

I hate the Warriors more than I ever hated LA. Just beat them.
I can understand the logic behind your claim, but, personally, I cannot possibly hate the Warriors more than I have ever hated LA. Those teams were very easy to dislike, and for obvious reasons. At least the Warriors have players on their current roster who are enjoyable to watch...

OK, fine, maybe Kobe was enjoyable to watch as well, but the hatred I had towards others on that roster overwhelmingly overshadowed my level of enjoyment.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, Domas actually wasn't bad shooting in the playoffs. I believe like 42%. And he was like 46% in the regular season. It was more the fact he was just unwilling to shoot it, even though he often was getting like 10+ feet of space from the defender. I'm still really curious what the shift was for him because I never really accounted him being hesitant in the regular season to pull wide open jumpers. My guess remains is he had a setback with his hand and just couldn't really feel the ball correctly. His handle and usually sure-fire hands were a lot more loose than normal too.

I think Keegan attacking too is the other big adjustment we need to feed into. They're trying to hide Steph on him and we saw it a little bit in the preseason where Keegan was willingly start to attack that match-up. In the playoffs, they basically knew Keegan was a stand-alone 3pt shooter and wouldn't do anything on-ball. The aggressive Keegan we've seen so far this year forces the Warriors to hopefully play him more standard and get a better matchup.

Would also really help if Huerter and HB just.. you know. Play NBA basketball like the starting caliber players they are rather than totally unplayable as they were for 95% of that series.
Yeah, I loved seeing that from Keegan. No hesitation - just "mouse in the house" and went straight at him.

Huerter definitely needs to break out of this slump. I'd guess the Warriors will hide Steph on him when they can tonight and let CP3 primarily guard Fox. I'm not as worried about HB coming off that great first game. Yeah, he shot well from 3, but he was also aggressive attacking the basket, especially when the team needed to stop a run by the Jazz.

I can understand the logic behind your claim, but, personally, I cannot possibly hate the Warriors more than I have ever hated LA. Those teams were very easy to dislike, and for obvious reasons. At least the Warriors have players on their current roster who are enjoyable to watch...

OK, fine, maybe Kobe was enjoyable to watch as well, but the hatred I had towards others on that roster overwhelmingly overshadowed my level of enjoyment.
the Warriors are full of punchable faces (on the court not their off the court personalities). Steph with his bobble head cockiness, CP3 for the flopping, draymond for the chest stomping and Klay for the Debbie Downer face he seems to have at all times. Maybe it’s because im not local but I never really hated the Lakers and are much more annoyed with Warriors.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think the Warriors are somewhat into the Kings' heads. The playoffs. The last pre-season game. They own the Kings. Or, at least they think they own the Kings. Sure, they'll play around with them, and sure maybe they play too loosey-goosy with the ball and may lose a game here and there, but when all the marbles are on the line they seem to me supremely confident they can best the Kings. To not just match the Warriors, but consistently beat-down the Warriors, not only do the Kings' players have to do better individually, but I think Brown needs to step up his game to find the right players with the right minutes to play against them. They must make the game physically uncomfortable for them, which means that either the players of last year need to be more physical or new more physical players need to take their place.

Instead of the seeing that care-free poser face of Curry who not only likes to make shots but also likes to mug for photos while doing it, I'd finally like to see him with some concern, or even better, pain on his face. Instead of seeing him do this faux I-missed-shot-and-I'm-so-great-I-have-to hang-my-head-in shame BS, I'd like to see him have to bust his a$$ to get back on defense. And for God's sake, when is someone going to punk Chris Paul like he deserves? He's been asking for it for years. Stop with the nicey nice and deliver some pain to this strutting waddling arrogant has-been.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Your son's playing? Or are you just going to the game as a fan and a spectator of the sport?
It's varsity and he's JV, but it's senior night and there is a booster reception after the game.

Their season has been quite a story. We watched them get trounced 50something to 6 a year ago on Future Falcon night, and they were 0-10 just two years ago. But the coach came off as one of the most sincere believable guys I've ever met, I still warned kiddo that it was going to be a rough year. JV is 6-2 and the Varsity team is 7-1 and has already won their league.
https://highschool.si.com/oregon/20...ns-ive-just-never-seen-a-turnaround-like-this

So definitely going to support the boys in their final home game before the playoffs.

It's varsity and he's JV, but it's senior night and there is a booster reception after the game.

Their season has been quite a story. We watched them get trounced 50something to 6 a year ago on Future Falcon night, and they were 0-10 just two years ago. But the coach came off as one of the most sincere believable guys I've ever met, I still warned kiddo that it was going to be a rough year. JV is 6-2 and the Varsity team is 7-1 and has already won their league.
https://highschool.si.com/oregon/20...ns-ive-just-never-seen-a-turnaround-like-this

So definitely going to support the boys in their final home game before the playoffs.

Good job on being there. Whether they'll say it or not, it means a lot to the kids. Our situation is "similar, but different" where it's also senior night, but our loss bumped us out of the playoffs last week. My boy is a junior, so may not see a lot of the field tonight as they're likely to give the seniors more run. It's DVR for me!

I would like to see the Kings take the fight to the dubs tonight, go right at Looney and establish dominance inside early. Put them on notice 1q by attacking the rim and rebounding the ball.

Good job on being there. Whether they'll say it or not, it means a lot to the kids. Our situation is "similar, but different" where it's also senior night, but our loss bumped us out of the playoffs last week. My boy is a junior, so may not see a lot of the field tonight as they're likely to give the seniors more run. It's DVR for me!
Good job both of you for prioritizing being there for your kids' sporting events. I am not a parent, yet, but can only imagine how much they do appreciate the support and love they receive when they look out in the stands and see daddy (or mommy, or brother, or sister) out there cheering them on. Even when things look a bit rough on the playing field, I would imagine that the support alone gives them the extra motivation.

I would love more than anything to one day have me a kid (or kids) who are athletic. Having a physical disability myself, that is something I have missed out on in my life - playing sports. Knock on wood, though, that I don't pass my bad genes on to my kid(s), and the kid(s) can play sports with very little to no hardships.

Also, just like both of you, I would not mind shifting my priorities, IN A HEARTBEAT, to be there for a game. Especially if my kid is playing in it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'd like to see a short leash on Huerter tonight. The Dubs will surely go after him on the defensive end, and if we can't find the solution to that, and quick, then we should throw Duarte at them and give Huerter some minutes with the bench squad. Nothing against Kev, but he's gotta find a way to be a + player out there, and when he's surrounded by four other guys that can score...as they say, there's only one ball.

I'd like to see a short leash on Huerter tonight. The Dubs will surely go after him on the defensive end, and if we can't find the solution to that, and quick, then we should throw Duarte at them and give Huerter some minutes with the bench squad. Nothing against Kev, but he's gotta find a way to be a + player out there, and when he's surrounded by four other guys that can score...as they say, there's only one ball.
Give it a few weeks. If you want to talk about + - on the Kings, he was behind only Harrison Barnes last season. Post all-star break, his mark of +3.2 trailed only Barnes (+4.7) and Monk (+3.3).

What school if you don’t mind me asking?

Largely up to Keegan probably. If the Kings get the Keegan from that last Warriors game scoring shouldn't be an issue for sure.

The whole "omg the Warriors own the Kings" thing is overblown by a certain group of folks and they're all sadly mistaken lol if anyone figured anyone out, i believe it's the Kings figuring the dubs out, as well as themselves. I think the Kings won't doubt themselves and what they're capable of as a unit this season and that will translate out there on the court. Maybe the Warriors beat us tonight (i don't think so) but i really do not believe they can beat our current squad 4 out of 7 times if healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.