Bryant: "Lakers-Kings No Longer a Rivalry"

the rivarly is over. they beat us when it mattered the most. we still hate them, and they still hate us, but the competitiv rivarly we had is dead.

You know what guys? you know why Kobe saying this? before the Kings and the Lakers face off each other?

*cough* to save *cough* the embarrassment *cough*........
*cough* from *cough* losing all the games *cough*.........
*cough* when facing *cough* us *cough* in the*cough*regular season *cough*....

Bricklayer said:
I would generally agree with Kobe about the rivalry, but is precisely diarrhea of the mouth like this that got the rivalry started in the first place, so just keep on yapping Kobe. Nice to know that the arrogance lives on.
Yeah, I think I'll buy him a case of kaopectate. Seriously though, the rivalry as we knew it is over but I can say without any doubt that it won't take much to reignite it. As long as the lakers are around I will relish in any pitfalls that they go through. Kobe is the only player left that I have any real animosity towards anyway but, he counts for alot and I'm sure I can grow to dislike Butler, Grant, and Odom easily.

Grobar said:
the rivarly is over. they beat us when it mattered the most. we still hate them, and they still hate us, but the competitiv rivarly we had is dead.
If we still hate them and they still hate us, doesn't that mean the rivally is still going?

Tully Blanchard said:
So were you not a Raider fan when they were in Los Angeles?
No I wasnt. I was a 49ers fan for 90% of my life but I didnt like how they treated Rice and Montana and I just began to dislike their management and system. Still a lot of respect for the real 49ers (1980-2000).

Grobar said:
Well usually when we hate a team and they hate you back, you tend to compete a lot harder when you match up. Trust me... as long as you hate them and they hate us there is a rivalry. Otherwise what is it? Disliking eachother? And how do teams settle that? By BEATING the OTHER team.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Hell NO Mr. Bryant !!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry for cursing)

We hate the front of the jearsy too. not just the back. No downplaying please. We did not forgett anything. Not Your elbow agains Bibby, not Your retarded comments every year. Yes, You have Vlade - so there is one player we do not hate. Plenty of hate going around here for the rest of you. Only way for you to avoid a rivalry is to suck so bad that there is no suspense in a single game. Feel free to do that. I hope You lose all 82 games.

I'm truly suprised at how many people think the rivalry is over. Of course the rivalry is not over.

Was the rivalry between the Giants and the Dodgers over when Bobby Thompson, or Juan Marichal and Johnny Roseboro quit? Joe Morgan? Of course not.

Is the Sox and Yankees rivalry over because their rosters have changed?

Will the Raiders and Broncos rivalry die when Mike Shanahan retires, or when Al Davis dies?

The fact of the matter is just because Shaq and Phil started the battle doesn't mean the Kings and Lakers no longer play in the same division, because they do. The fact of the matter is the Kings are a Nor Cal team and the Lakers are a So Cal team, and we still hate their phony Hollywood/cellphone attitude, and they still hate our cowbells. The fact of the matter is we are still the two best teams in the Pacific Division.

You're damn straight there's still a rivalry. There's no single team I would get more enjoyment from seeing the Kings rip apart in the playoffs, than the Lakers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
AceKingSuited said:
I'm truly suprised at how many people think the rivalry is over. Of course the rivalry is not over.

Was the rivalry between the Giants and the Dodgers over when Bobby Thompson, or Juan Marichal and Johnny Roseboro quit? Joe Morgan? Of course not.

Will the Raiders and Broncos rivalry die when Mike Shanahan retires, or when Al Davis dies?

The fact of the matter is just because Shaq and Phil started the battle doesn't mean the Kings and Lakers no longer play in the same division, because they do. The fact of the matter is the Kings are a Nor Cal team and the Lakers are a So Cal team, and we still hate their phony Hollywood/cellphone attitude, and they still hate our cowbells. The fact of the matter is we are still the two best teams in the Pacific Division.

You're damn straight there's still a rivalry. There's no single team I would get more enjoyment from seeing the Kings rip apart in the playoffs, than the Lakers.
^ ^ ^

What he said!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
AceKingSuited said:

Yawn. ;)

Seriously. The Yankees and Red Sox have been rivals for something approaching a century. The Kings and Lakers really only BECAME rivals in the last 5 years. And it was really based on the personalities on the teams as much as anything. That and running into them 4 years in the row in the playoffs. Could it become the basis for a long term rivalry? Maybe. Maybe not. But many other great NBA rivlaries of the recent past, Detroit/Chicago, New York/Chicago, New York/Miami etc. have all faded after the players and coaches who really hated each other moved on.

I'll settle for lingering dislike until they get obnoxious again.

P.S. Watch out for Phoenix -- could well be better than the Lakers.

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Well usually when we hate a team and they hate you back, you tend to compete a lot harder when you match up. Trust me... as long as you hate them and they hate us there is a rivalry. Otherwise what is it? Disliking eachother? And how do teams settle that? By BEATING the OTHER team.
Well, they said there was a rivalry but I don't know if it was a "real" rivaly when the Kings never beat the Lakers in a series. The Lakers won them all. But now, the tables are turned - it's time for the Kings to bully the Lakers. It's their turn. This time, it will be the Lakers who will try to be in the same level as the Kings.

Bricklayer

Lamar_Odom said:
Well, they said there was a rivalry but I don't know if it was a "real" rivaly when the Kings never beat the Lakers in a series. The Lakers won them all. But now, the tables are turned - it's time for the Kings to bully the Lakers. It's their turn. This time, it will be the Lakers who will try to be in the same level as the Kings.
Ah, this tired old line. Perhaps the biggest bunch of hooey ever invented by the obnoxious Laker fan. Always found it curious that the Knicks/Bulls were never rivals, and that the Bulls/Pistons weren't rivals either until the Bulls finally broke through and effectively ENDED the rivalry -- the Pistons rapidly declined thereafter and within 2 years nobody cared.

Must also really suck that perhaps the best rivalry in all of sports is playing out in dramatic fashion in baseball right now, and what does it feature? One team who has gotten its *** kicked for 85 YEARS by the other team. Would come as a shocker to both New York and Boston fans to discover that they actually aren't rivals (and yes, I've heard the same line from a few of the more arrogant Yankees fans, but their venom belies their B.S.).

Simple as this -- you wouldn't even be on this board if we weren't rivals at one point.

Last edited:
Hmm... last I heard there were about 100 tickets left for the Kings/Lakers preseason game. That's pretty unusual. The players may be different, but I guarantee the rivalry it still alive in the hearts and souls of many fans.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Bricklayer said:
Ah, this tired old line. Perhaps the biggest bunch of hooey ever invented by the obnoxious Laker fan. Always found it curious that the Knicks/Bulls were never rivals, and that the Bulls/Pistons weren't rivals either until the Bulls finally broke through and effectively ENDED the rivalry -- the Pistons rapidly declined thereafter and within 2 years nobody cared.

Must also really suck that perhaps the best rivalry in all of sports is playing out in dramatic fashion in baseball right now, and what does it feature? One team who has gotten its *** kicked for 85 YEARS by the other team. Would come as a shocker to both New York and Boston fans to discover that they actually aren't rivals (and yes, I've heard the same line from a few of the more arrogant Yankees fans, but their venom belies their B.S.).
Uh, Brick, doesn't that essentially contradict what you wrote an hour ago? :confused:

Bricklayer

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Uh, Brick, doesn't that essentially contradict what you wrote an hour ago? :confused:
Nope -- because I consider the rivalry dead now, or at least quiescient, because the Lakers, the much despised world-hates-their-arrogance Lakers, are largely dead. Its like the Knicks/Bulls circa 1999 after PJ, Jordan/Pippen/Rodman etc. all left.

But that doesn't mean that it wasn't the best rivalry in the NBA there for a good long stretch. Trying to deny it ever existed in the first place is just silly and immature. Mostly just about getting a rise.

hating each other doesn't instill the same rivarly we had 2-3 years ago. when it mattered, when the players were all still there, we lost. people have to admit that. it dont matter what kobe says or why he's saying it. i still hate the lakers with a passion, but we lost when it counted and when the "rivalry" was at its peak.

This is an exercise in semantics. If you mean rivalry as in playoff rivalry, what once was is now dead. If you mean rivalry as in two teams being competitive against each other, that is not dead.

Bricklayer said:
Nope -- because I consider the rivalry dead now, or at least quiescient, because the Lakers, the much despised world-hates-their-arrogance Lakers, are largely dead. Its like the Knicks/Bulls circa 1999 after PJ, Jordan/Pippen/Rodman etc. all left.

But that doesn't mean that it wasn't the best rivalry in the NBA there for a good long stretch. Trying to deny it ever existed in the first place is just silly and immature. Mostly just about getting a rise.
If it was a "rivalry," I believe the Lakers-Spurs was a bigger rivalry (and a true one at that) because they took turns winning the championship over a 5-year period and for the most part, both teams had to go through each other to win. The hate may not be as much, but it was more of a "rivaly" than the Kings-Lakers.

Bricklayer

Lamar_Odom said:
If it was a "rivalry," I believe the Lakers-Spurs were a bigger rivalry (and a true one at that) because they took turns winning the championship over a 5-year period and for the most part, both teams had to go through each other to win. The hate may not be as much, but it was more of a "rivaly" than the Kings-Lakers.
The hate IS the rivalry. The passion is the lifeblood of any one that is remembered.

BTW, you can yap all you want, but the ratings undermine your entire argument (improted from lg.net I suspect). The most popular games in the entire league for most of this decade were Kings/Lakers matchups. Why? Because 99% of the people could see through the silly L.A. charade -- they were RIVALS. As in don't like you, want to embarass you, might even punch you rivals.

Trying to deny it is silly. As I mentioned, you are here. I presume you do not keep a persona on a Suns board, or a Wolves board.

Last edited:
Ok, ok, ok...It may not be a "rivalry" in the truest sense of the word, but more of a "dislike," hatred even, amongst fans. Are Giants and Dodgers "rivals" every year? No, but I've never met a Giants fan that liked the Dodgers and vise versa. The Angels and A's were I guess "rivals" this year, but it hasn't always been like that, and I don't know of an A's fans who like the Angels. Its more of an intrastate thing. As I said before, as a NorCal resident, I've never liked any SoCal teams.

Besides, we got to get to the real crux of the issue here, if the rivalry is "dead" then what are supposed to do with all of the kids who were born and who have grown up in the last 3-5 years being taught to hate those yellow and purple people down south? ;) :)

Last edited:
So, ratings ... comprise a rivalry. If that's your definition, then fine. In terms of competition, beating each other out to win a championship, Lakers-Spurs was bigger, although the intrigue was lesser.

BTW - having a handle in another team's message board is not a measure of rivaly.

It's a rivalry among hardcore fans of both teams based solely on a preseason fight between Christie and Fox and all the stuff said off the court. The rivalry often had little to do with play on the basketball court except for the 2002 WCF, where the end result was still the same. This "rivalry" was probably the most overblown rivalry of the past 20 years, though nothing can top the "rivalry" of the Red Sox and Yankees. And no, Sox-Yankees is not a real rivalry, it's just hate among fans. Yes, because the Yankees win every time, it's not much of a baseball rivalry, just one hell of an off the field and media-hyped rivalry.

You know you understand the viewpoint Brick, you just don't want to admit that any rivalry with the same income isn't much of a true rivalry.

And in case you're wondering, here's what rivalry means:

1 a : one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess b : one striving for competitive advantage
2 obsolete : COMPANION, ASSOCIATE
3 : one that equals another in desired qualities : PEER

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think by refusing to paly any of the starters or Bobby Jackson after the 1st quarter Adelamn was showing his agreemnt that the rivalry is over.

HndsmCelt said:
I think by refusing to paly any of the starters or Bobby Jackson after the 1st quarter Adelamn was showing his agreemnt that the rivalry is over.
That and the thing about seeing who should fill out the rest of the roster.