Breaking news...Adelman era over (merged)

SacKings384 said:
The Kings need a PLAYERS coach. Everyone wants a hard-*** in there, but with the types of players on there I just don't see that as being a good option. I don't know if Brad is mentally tough enough to take criticism, how Ron will react, how (possibly) Bonzi will react. Kenny is a hot-head as well. A tough-nosed I'm gonna sit your *** on the bench if you don't do what I say is not what this team needs.
I think you're right SK384... Hey, I got a great idea! Rick Adelman is rumored to be available.

SacKings384 said:
The Kings need a PLAYERS coach. Everyone wants a hard-*** in there, but with the types of players on there I just don't see that as being a good option. I don't know if Brad is mentally tough enough to take criticism, how Ron will react, how (possibly) Bonzi will react. Kenny is a hot-head as well. A tough-nosed I'm gonna sit your *** on the bench if you don't do what I say is not what this team needs.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Adelman was too permisive and as a result our players never really developed. While I don't think that has to mean confrontation, I think these players need someone that stresses you leave it all on the floor, every night. I don't think it would be a problem with Ron as that is his mentality as well. I love this team and they have some very good talent, but I don't think anyone can say that each of those guys play as hard as they should every night. While the motivation to be that kind of employee (in any business) comes from within, the right boss can make a huge difference.

sdballer said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Adelman was too permisive and as a result our players never really developed. While I don't think that has to mean confrontation, I think these players need someone that stresses you leave it all on the floor, every night. I don't think it would be a problem with Ron as that is his mentality as well. I love this team and they have some very good talent, but I don't think anyone can say that each of those guys play as hard as they should every night. While the motivation to be that kind of employee (in any business) comes from within, the right boss can make a huge difference.
Who's a Better coach right now in your opinion.

SacKings384 said:
Problem is...hard*** coaches take you to championships...Phil Jackson, Popovich, Coach K, Pat Riley, even king hard*** Bobby Knight took players to championships....you take your pick.

wow that was a big surprise for me. i thought for sure rick would get another contract after the coaching job he did after ron came. i guess not

my vote for future head coach: convince doug collins to ditch TNT and come coach the kings.

NO NELLIE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReinadelosReys said:
He didn't say its going to be him. He said that he's a possibility and he'd like to have him personally. But who cares what Grant thinks....
I didnt say it was GOING to be him..

Be a grant hater all you want but he does know basketball. Actually thats the only thing he knows

PFFFT!! said:
Problem is...hard*** coaches take you to championships...Phil Jackson, Popovich, Coach K, Pat Riley, even king hard*** Bobby Knight took players to championships....you take your pick.
All of these coaches have Teams, Jerry sloan is A tuff coach but he has never won anything either. Who do you want in there

my vote for future head coach: convince doug collins to ditch TNT and come coach the kings.

NO NELLIE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I would love to see Doug Collins coach the Kings. Keep Nelson far away!

danadime said:

NO NELLIE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would love to see Doug Collins coach the Kings. Keep Nelson far away![/quote]Do really want doug collins, do you really know the Deal with doug collins.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
Hmm...just heard Jason Ross with his mic potted up blurt out "PJ Carlisimo' during a commercial. I wonder...the one thing PJ has going for him is his work with Popovich in SA.
Interesting...maybe he was just saying who he thought he'd see...

If it's an existing Asst. Coach they're going after, such as P.J., we won't know until after that team's season is over. That...would SUCK.

shaka zulu said:
All of these coaches have Teams, Jerry sloan is A tuff coach but he has never won anything either. Who do you want in there
What do they have now? Jazz's run ended with AK-47's injury. Besides Malone and Stockton, who did they have back then? There is a reason why Sloan is still with the Jazz. Would you want to go to Utah as a free agent?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't think any great coaches are out there right now which is one of the biggest reasons I would have been ok with keeping Adelman.

I really hate most of the old guard that's out there so hopefully we'd go for new blood.

What about Eric Musselman? He was able to develop talent and overachieve with marginal talent in Golden State. I thought the players liked him too, but maybe I'm wrong on that because I don't quite understand why he was let go.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
PFFFT!! said:
What do they have now? Jazz's run ended with AK-47's injury. Besides Malone and Stockton, who did they have back then? There is a reason why Sloan is still with the Jazz. Would you want to go to Utah as a free agent?
That's gospel. Sloan is a great coach for disciplined players who keep their ego's in check and deal with stict coach who likes to yell. Had it not been for timing the Jazz probably would have a couple championships. BUT there is no rooom in Jerry's system for prima donas, show boats and ball hogs.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
Hmmm...Grant thinks PJ would be great as a coach and for this city, but he wont get hired, but wont, on the fact that he already replaced Adelman twice already...I dunno about that.
To quote Grant...Grant is a freakin' idiot. Just what we need - some guy that's going to scream at Ron Artest until he cracks.

KingsOwn said:
Grant's a fool. PJ lifetime win pct is .452, is that really what we want in sactown?
Here is PJ's bio for those who want a quick ref...for those of you who only know him as the receiving end of Sprewell's hand. ;)

Joined the Spurs in September of 2002 … brings 25 years of head coaching experience to the Spurs bench … started his coaching career as an assistant at Fordham University … served as the head coach at New Hampshire College for one season (1975-76) … then spent six seasons as the head coach at Wagner College … named the head coach at Seton Hall University in 1982 … in his 12 seasons at the school led the Pirates to six trips to the NCAA Tournament including an appearance in the 1989 Championship Game … named the 1989 NCAA Coach of the Year after the Pirates finished with a 31-7 mark … earned Big East Coach of the Year honors in both 1988 and 1989 … in the summer of 1994 was named the head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers … led the Blazers to the playoffs three straight seasons … in June of 1997 was hired as Golden State’s head coach … spent three seasons with the Warriors … served as a broadcaster for NBC Sports and Spurs TV for two seasons prior to joining the Spurs coaching staff … has an extensive background in international competition … served as an assistant for U.S.A. Basketball for the 1992 Olympic Games, the 1990 World Championships, the 1990 Goodwill Games and the 1988 Olympic Trials … was the head coach for the U.S. Team in the 1991 World University Games, leading the squad to a gold medal … elected to the Seton Hall Athletic Hall of Fame in 2002 and the Wagner Hall of Fame in 2003 … a native of Scranton, Pennsylvania … his father—the late Pete Carlesimo—was the long-time executive director of the NIT … a 1971 graduate of Fordham … he and his wife, Carolyn, have a two-year-old son, Kyle.

Lets remember PJ's been there for 4 years, or during 2 Spur championships (2003, 2005).

Last edited:
pdxKingsFan said:
What about Eric Musselman? He was able to develop talent and overachieve with marginal talent in Golden State. I thought the players liked him too, but maybe I'm wrong on that because I don't quite understand why he was let go.
I've been thinking the same thing. Wouldn't mind seeing him here at all.

And yes, if it is PJ we're looking at, things likely won't be resolved until the Finals end in June then.

Kev.in said:
If PJ Carlesimo really is a candidate, I might have to find a new team to temporarily root for.
I dont mind his background, hes an experienced head coach, young enough, and has 4 years experience under Pop as his right hand man. They only thing that turns me off is his player/coach relationship and if that will kill the Artest/Bonzi chemistry. Im hoping that choke Sprewell gave him woke him up a little and helped him become a little more player oriented.

I would LOVE to see a former player with no coaching exp apply for the job.

Seriously, I would. Someone not that far out of the league, that has court smarts. Someone mentioned Stockton. I would love to see him coaching.

Sackings8390 said:
they didnt pick up pete carril either?:mad:
Usually a new coach brings his own staff with him. Pete was going to/will probably retire, but I could see him having a role, or a new role with the franchise. He is Petries boy.

There is a big name player who has quietly spent his time since retirement as an assistant, and that man is Patrick Ewing. It wouldn't shock me to see him come in. Or Magic Johnson. I really think the Maloofs are going to go with a HUGE name. PJ Carlesimo just isn't glamorous enough for those guys.