Breaking down our defense, what's working, what's not. Using PPS (points per shot)

This is an attempt to compile some data to see what trends may or may not be working. First off a look at our smaller line ups, see how we've been doing.

Kings season overall as a base
updated.PNG

For now remember 1.16 PPS if a stat catches your eye from the data, analyze more.

Ok here's some of our small ball lineups.

Haliburton, Fox, Buddy together
HaliFoxBuddy.PNG

Overall our primary small ball unit improves us defensively however

Replacing Fox with Cojo

Haliburton, Cojo, Buddy
Buddyhalijo.PNG

Our defense becomes atrocious, look at the PPS difference, same frequency, but giving up almost a half a point a possession on 3's!

More to come, having morning coffee, give me a few.

A look at our guards individually

Fox
Fox.PNG
Haliburton
Haliburton.PNG
Buddy
Buddy.PNG
Cojo
Cojo.PNG

Nothing seems overall different, besides Cojo giving up more when it comes to the 3. So let's see if we can identify them when paired with others.

Buddy & Cojo Together
BuddyCojo.PNG

Not a good combo together

Buddy & Haliburton
tybuddy.PNG

Better but not good.

Buddy & Fox

FoxBuddy.PNG

So it looks like Buddy & Cojo together isn't the best defensive pair

Fox & Haliburton

TyFox.PNG

Nothing stands out as being horrible

Cojo & Haliburton

TyCojo.PNG

Again not much sticks out

Fox & Cojo
FoxCojo.PNG

Again, not much stands out besides the bad 3 point PPS

Be cautious of a Buddy and Cojo pairing.

Guards paired with big men

The combo of Fox & Buddy with any of our big men is decent, well less atrocious

Here they are with Bagley
FoxBuddyBagley.PNG
Holmes
FoxBuddyHolmes.PNG
Whiteside
FoxBuddyWhiteside.PNG

Low volume with Whiteside, but it doesn't seem to matter much which big you have in with Buddy & Fox together.

Now with Fox & Haliburton together.

Holmes
FoxHolmesHali.PNG

There we go, this is a good defensive match :eek:

Bagley
FoxHaliburtonBag.PNG

Substitute Bagley with Fox & Haliburton, and now were are in trouble

Whiteside
FoxBuddyWhiteside.PNG

Not bad

Be wary of playing Fox, Bagley, Haliburton together
Play Fox, Haliburton, Holmes together more.

Big men on their own.

Holmes
Holmes.PNG

Bagley
Bagley.PNG

Whiteside
whiteside.PNG

Whiteside is by far our best defensive big with PPS, Marvin is bad defensively. Now how can we set up Marvin rotation-ally to help with that? How can we find Whiteside more minutes?

Good work Expresso.
so what are your conclusions?
1. Whiteside needs to play more
2. We are capable of playing good defense see the Fox, Haliburton, Holmes lineup
3. We can play small with Fox, Haliburton, Buddy combo
4. Bagley needs some help to mask his liabilities, but certain lineups are better/worse for that
5. Cojo plays better with Fox & Holmes, but can we score the ball?

So there are some tools here.

This is an attempt to compile some data to see what trends may or may not be working. First off a look at our smaller line ups, see how we've been doing.

Kings season overall as a base
View attachment 10345

For now remember 1.16 PPS if a stat catches your eye from the data, analyze more.

Ok here's some of our small ball lineups.

Haliburton, Fox, Buddy together
View attachment 10346

Overall our primary small ball unit improves us defensively however

Replacing Fox with Cojo

Haliburton, Cojo, Buddy
View attachment 10347

Our defense becomes atrocious, look at the PPS difference, same frequency, but giving up almost a half a point a possession on 3's!

More to come, having morning coffee, give me a few.
Are these opponents PPS? I’m losing context of the data and the objective of Kings defense.

Taking that data and adding the offensive PPS for those lineups would give you a good indication of what the best lineups may be. The best defense of all time won't win you many games if the offensive PPS is lower.

Good stuff. Not a whole lot surprising in there as far as who the best and worst defenders are. We knew Whitside was elite, Holmes was about average and Bagley was as bad as it gets. The main surprise is CoJo being worse than Buddy so far. He really needs to be squeezed out of the lineup since he's not adding offense or defense anymore.

Taking that data and adding the offensive PPS for those lineups would give you a good indication of what the best lineups may be. The best defense of all time won't win you many games if the offensive PPS is lower.

Good stuff. Not a whole lot surprising in there as far as who the best and worst defenders are. We knew Whitside was elite, Holmes was about average and Bagley was as bad as it gets. The main surprise is CoJo being worse than Buddy so far. He really needs to be squeezed out of the lineup since he's not adding offense or defense anymore.
If anyone wants to help with the offensive stats, on their own or with D

This site is pretty nice

http://nbashotcharts.com/home

Right now with our defense being so bad I just focused on that.

A look at our guards individually

Fox
View attachment 10348
Haliburton
View attachment 10349
Buddy
View attachment 10350
Cojo
View attachment 10351

Nothing seems overall different, besides Cojo giving up more when it comes to the 3. So let's see if we can identify them when paired with others.
I’m not clear I completely follow your data but if I do I would not say nothing seems different....

Guards shots at the rim...
Buddy 225/698. 32.2%
Cojo. 132/438. 30.1%
Hali. 160/494. 32.3%
Fox. 215/639. 33.6%

I don’t have the attempts on a per minute basis but it’s a concern the high percentage of shots at the rim our guards are giving up.

Bagley and Buddy Hield are the biggest problem on team defense. And so is Bjelica. Kings have too many offense players that can't play defense. The problem is (like I said before), they need them to score. So they're basically stuck.

Bagley and Buddy Hield are the biggest problem on team defense. And so is Bjelica. Kings have too many offense players that can't play defense. The problem is (like I said before), they need them to score. So they're basically stuck.
Bjelicia has been a DNP for the last 3 games and he is the problem on defense. Hate to tell you but Bjelicia is well regarded around the league.