Bobby Jackson won't resign with Memphis (merged)

All this BJax talk got me thinking of the Chili's Baby Back Ribs Song!

"We want our Bobby back, Bobby back, Bobby back."

He's a quick fix for the backup PG spot...a good mentor for Price seeing as Price will be the next BJax for the Kings, and it will also give Bibby the opportunity to get some much needed rest and have fresh legs for the 4th. It also gives the young guys like Martin and Garcia the opportunity to develop into solid wing players and not have to worry about handling the ball! I like Claxton, but the money issue makes it a little tougher. I know Bobby would sign for cheap with us. He was easily the 2nd or 3rd most popular player in Sacramento, and still owns his house out in Granite Bay. He's destined to finish his career here.

Also, can you imagine the energy off that bench with Bobby running the show and Martin and Garcia streaking down that sideline on the fast break?! Plus add a young, athletic big man like Armstrong from UCONN, and that bench mob's athleticism would be scary for opposing teams! But, then again...I'm getting ahead of myself.

Recap: Quick Fix...BJax is the guy!

Last edited:
After a long hiatus of posting (new job, new baby, etc) it's good to be back.

I have thought for a long time that BJax would be a target of the Kings this offseason. Obviously though we would need to get rid of Hart and there's not going to be too many teams willing to take him. However, I like the idea of packaging him with someone to Milwaukee for Gadzuric. Remember, last year the Kings and Bucks were discussing KT for Desmond Mason before Mason was shipped off to New Orleans. So, it's not as if Milwaukee hasn't enterained the idea of getting KT and with their surplus of centers and Bogut's progression they need to move someone this summer in order to be able to take the next step. The Bucks' GM, Larry Harris isn't one to stand still and I'm sure the Bucks will do some dealing this summer.

Superman said:
I'd LOVE to have Chris Duhon on our team, even though he's only 6'1". He's a terrific defender, and he's serviceable on offense. He's a Dukie, so he's fundamentally sound, and he's also a patient player. Doesn't press too much.

But he's still only going to play one position effectively. I'd hate to see Duhon and Bibby on the court at the same time. Mismatch City.

I remember the Bulls playing Duhon and Hinrich together often, and Hinrich is only an inch taller than Bibby.

Bibby needs a serviceable backup. He noticeably wears down at the end of the season. I'd definitely love to have him back, and Bobby still seems very active in Sacramento, but I don't really see it happening. But who knows, if it works out, the Kings will have gotten Bonzi last season for free!

Hate to burst your bubble, but Hart exercised his player option for next season. It was reported in the Sacramento Bee on May 25.

It will be no vacation for these players
Summer-league play will give Kings officials a chance to check out some.

Sacramento Bee, The (CA)
May 25, 2006
Author: Sam Amick
Bee Staff Writer

We take this break from the summertime coaching search to offer this: Summer league should be more interesting this time around.
From July 6-14, the youngest Kings and a host of fill-in players in Kings jerseys will be in Las Vegas for the annual summer league. But whereas last year's Kings' contract-player contingent consisted of only Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia, this year's team will have five contract players.

Martin, whose 19.4 points per game last year ranked him third in the summer league, will return for his third stint. Garcia will make his second trip.

They'll be joined by Ronnie Price, Sergei Monia and the Kings' first selection of the June 28 draft.

Second-year point guard Price won an invitation to Kings training camp last October despite being injured for all but two of the Kings' five summer-league games. This time, he could be trying to impress enough to battle for eventual playing time with Jason Hart, who has exercised the player option on his contract for the 2006-07 season.

The same Bobby Jackson that always got injured the last few years he was here when we needed him most? I love Bobby but he's 33 and might not have that much gas in the tank, combined with his history of injuries and it's a hard decision to make. If the price is right, the length is right and Bobby is his old self than I guess no one here will have any objection with his return to Sacramento. But that still remains to be seen. If he demands a fair salary Petrie should no doubt sign him.

Funny how, one of our biggest needs today was our biggest strength a few years ago.

Anyone remember the SI cover with Bobby on it? that went something like this:
"Sacramento's secret formula: Bibby + Bobby = Perfect Point Guard"

Last edited:
Mike0476 said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but Hart exercised his player option for next season. It was reported in the Sacramento Bee on May 25.
That's the exact reason why we can trade him. That's a good thing.

LPKingsFan said:
I remember the Bulls playing Duhon and Hinrich together often, and Hinrich is only an inch taller than Bibby.
Hinrich is one of the best young defensive point guards in the NBA, and so is Duhon.

It's already a mismatch almost every night with Bibby since he's such a liability defensively. I don't want to see us playing small ball anymore if Bibby is going to be on the floor. If we had Duhon and Hinrich, no problem. Bibby and Duhon? Disaster.

Both Mike Bibby and Bobby Jackson were seen having a lenghty conversation with Gavin Maloof last night during the halftime of the Monarchs game. Mike Bibby left and Bobby stayed conversing with Gavin....I'm not a lip reader, but those are two guys who like to talk with their hands :D

I wouldn't mind having Hinrich as our starting point and Duhon with our backup, in fact id love it. But something tells me Bibby is not getting traded.

B-Jax coming back?

I heard that when he was on the radio KHTK saying that hes not coming back to Memphis and a comeback to Sac is a possibility and it all comes down to money.

Given his age and injury-prone body, would you take a gamble on him if you were the GM?

yes, id love to see him back..it really depends on who we draft, if we get rondo or sergio rodriguez then id say no..but if we draft armstrong or any big man then id say yes

We have to be pretty carefull about bringing back Bobby. On surface its a great idea but there are a number of factors that we really need to consider.

For starters he is injury prone and he WILL break down more as he gets older.

Secondly, he is on the old side and you would have to wonder if his decline will be quick and could he provide everything he gave us a few years back?

Then of course there is the combination of the above mentioned things and money.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Bobby Jackson of old back but I am not overly convinced that Bobby Jackson is the same player he was all those year ago or whether he can sustain a high level of performance for the duration of his contract.

If Bobby was in his mid 20s, I would sign him up in a second.

Tend to agree, but he could be a good veteran for Price. As could others.

If we do sign him, I'd be okay with it, obviously not for a lot of money. But, I'd rather we pursue guys like Claxton (yes I know he'll want a nice deal)/Lue/Bell first. All have been around the sport/league for awhile as well, and bring what we need at the back-up PG spot.

startingtohurt said:
yes, id love to see him back..it really depends on who we draft, if we get rondo or sergio rodriguez then id say no..but if we draft armstrong or any big man then id say yes
Why would we draft a PG when we already have a young PG in Ronnie Price? Who's showed his athleticism, defense, and some shooting off in the time he's gotten to play this past season. Along with who knows what in practices. He's gonna get more time this season with the new coach. I like Rondo, Lowry, Blalock, and would be fine if we did draft one of them, but we would need to make adjustments or trade one of the young PGs we'd have. Rodriguez is intriguing, but I don't think he's really a fit for this team, and with Price already here. Who is liked by the organization and is already on the summer league roster. I just don't see why we'd draft another PG when we already have one to concentrate on, and with Bibby here, and then whoever the back-up PG is. Also, with Sergio's similarity to J-Will, didn't Petrie trade Jason for Bibby because he wanted a more controlled PG? I think the Kings are more prone to draft a big, combo/spark guard, or a BPA like Shawne Williams.

Last edited:
Why? He's a free-agent, we need a better back-up PG, and could help out Price. Would think he wouldn't ask for the MLE.

I'd say he's a canidate...