Blow It Up

Tanking netting us Fox and would have gotten us Doncic if any other GM was at the helm.

Not tanking has gotten us Haliburton and Mitchell. Both were widely considered the BPA in their draft slots.

There's clearly two different tiers there.
actually Philly tanking netted us Fox.

They tanked and ended up 5th and had pick swap rights when Vlade got lucky and landed in the 3rd spot. Without Vlade’s luck we would have been 8th drafting Nitilikina or Smith.

They tanked and ended up 5th and had pick swap rights when Vlade got lucky and landed in the 3rd spot. Without Vlade’s luck we would have been 8th drafting Nitilikina or Smith.
You're right, forgot we moved up in the lottery that year.

Wait, we moved up in the lottery the year we got Bagley too.

Ok so the Kings have never tanked correctly and only got up into that tier through lottery luck. Even worse.

correct - we got lucky getting BOTH bagley AND fox...

otherwise, our current "core" would probably be dennis smith jr/wendell carter, unless in the absence of fox, we took donovan mitchell (although point guard was our position of need at the time).

this is what "blowing it up" looks like in the early days - when a team that is widely seen as tanking suddenly clicks, winning six straight nba games:

1638898927951.png

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
correct - we got lucky getting BOTH bagley AND fox...

otherwise, our current "core" would probably be dennis smith jr/wendell carter, unless in the absence of fox, we took donovan mitchell (although point guard was our position of need at the time).

this is what "blowing it up" looks like in the early days - when a team that is widely seen as tanking suddenly clicks, winning six straight nba games:

View attachment 10776
The Rockets are winning because they're playing all their older dudes right now because their GM not so subtly leaked his desire to fire their coach for losing too many games and their incredibly inefficient 2nd overall pick has been out with an injury the entire time so probably not the best example but I get what you're going for.

gunks

Hall of Famer

Vlade, terrible drafter, amazing ping pong luck

I’m still down to have him rep us at any draft lottery.

Just have somebody standing by with a rolled up newspaper to give him a whack on the nose if he even TRIES to give advice on who he’d pick.

After spending the last hour reading through all 7 pages of this thread I'd like to nominate funky Kingston for Sacramento kings GM (or pseudo GM in the case of the kings). I'd also gladly take you as the new managing partner of the franchise good sir!

Last edited:
The Rockets are winning because they're playing all their older dudes right now because their GM not so subtly leaked his desire to fire their coach for losing too many games and their incredibly inefficient 2nd overall pick has been out with an injury the entire time so probably not the best example but I get what you're going for.
i only went back to sunday's game, but this doesn't look like the rockets are playing all vets (not that the rockets have many)... theis started but played only 16 minutes... eric gordon played 33 but everyone else with major minutes (except wood - who i guess is a vet, but barely) are youth:

https://www.nba.com/game/nop-vs-hou-0022100352/box-score

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
i only went back to sunday's game, but this doesn't look like the rockets are playing all vets (not that the rockets have many)... theis started but played only 16 minutes... eric gordon played 33 but everyone else with major minutes (except wood - who i guess is a vet, but barely) are youth:

https://www.nba.com/game/nop-vs-hou-0022100352/box-score
Let's look at their starting lineup from that game since you pointed it out. Gordon is 33 in two weeks. Wood and Tate are 26, Garrison Matthews is 25, Theiss is 29. Their bench featured Danuel House, 28, and DJ Augustin, approximately 5 billion years old.

Of the guys who've been playing during this winning streak, only Sengun, KPJ, Kenyon Martin Jr., and Josh Christopher can really be considered "youth' and Sengun has been get way too few minutes. You could probably throw in Armoni Brooks, who's come out of nowhere to become their 6th/7th man to the youth thing too but the Rockets have been rocking starting lineups with with a higher mean age than the Kings of late.

Tanking netting us Fox and would have gotten us Doncic if any other GM was at the helm.

Not tanking has gotten us Haliburton and Mitchell. Both were widely considered the BPA in their draft slots.

There's clearly two different tiers there.
Yeah, as happy as I've been with Hali/Mitchell, if we tanked the last 2 years, and got the 3rd pick, we'd have Melo and Mobley as a future core. Two players who look to be franchise cornerstones+potential top 20 players down the line. As opposed to Hali/Mitchell who I think are starter quality, but probably max out around top 60-75ish?

Let's look at their starting lineup from that game since you pointed it out. Gordon is 33 in two weeks. Wood and Tate are 26, Garrison Matthews is 25, Theiss is 29. Their bench featured Danuel House, 28, and DJ Augustin, approximately 5 billion years old.

Of the guys who've been playing during this winning streak, only Sengun, KPJ, Kenyon Martin Jr., and Josh Christopher can really be considered "youth' and Sengun has been get way too few minutes. You could probably throw in Armoni Brooks, who's come out of nowhere to become their 6th/7th man to the youth thing too but the Rockets have been rocking starting lineups with with a higher mean age than the Kings of late.
houston wins 7th straight - don't blow it up too soon.

box:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360196

you focused on calendar age - i'm looking more at "experience".

after all, davion and dearron are about the same age. one is in his fifth nba season and the other is a rookie.

if the kings were to trade dearron and start davion in his place, would you argue that that is noit blowing it up because they are the same age?

as to d.j., wasn't the fountain of youth supposed to be located near st. augustine?

https://www.fountainofyouthflorida.com/

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I suppose, but I’d call that questionable. They traded their 3rd/4th best player that wasn’t a good fit next to Steph and all brought on by injury.
yeah tanking can be funny. The Celtics went full tank and traded for miserable Dallas's first rounder in 96-97 only to see the Spurs lose D-Rob early in the season and wind up with the grand prize. Warriors "tank" was brought on by their two stars being out and a fruitful trade or two. They are one of the few teams I've ever seen get positive net assets when a star player decides to just take his sh and run. Unbelievably dumb luck they have had on top of clearly being a well managed organization.

Haliburton passed up an open layup that would have tied the game like he was momentarily possessed by the spirit of Ben Simmons and Davion is pretty much the same age as Fox. But let’s build for the future amirite?
Fox is a good player, but he doesn’t have that cold-blooded, killer instinct - You can just tell.

Without question, Davion has it - even as a rookie. He is a cool customer. This guy is a keeper.

In just the early stages of his 2nd season, ‘Rese is in the process of figuring out his game, but he reminds me a lot of Magic Johnson - not an elite athlete but a player with exceptionally high basketball IQ, tremendous court vision, and a knack for delivering in the clutch. He makes his teammates better and has an abundance of intangibles. As he develops further, he could very easily average double-figures in assists. This is a guy the Kings MUST hold on to.

I believed in Fox for a long time, but he’s hit his ceiling in Sacramento. It’s time to quit fooling ourselves into believing that he’s the savior that will lead this franchise to the promised land.

The Kings need to cash in on Fox’s value and get some quality return.

Fox is a good player, but he doesn’t have that cold-blooded, killer instinct - You can just tell.

Without question, Davion has it - even as a rookie. He is a cool customer. This guy is a keeper.

In just the early stages of his 2nd season, ‘Rese is in the process of figuring out his game, but he reminds me a lot of Magic Johnson - not an elite athlete but a player with exceptionally high basketball IQ, tremendous court vision, and a knack for delivering in the clutch. He makes his teammates better and has an abundance of intangibles. As he develops further, he could very easily average double-figures in assists. This is a guy the Kings MUST hold on to.

I believed in Fox for a long time, but he’s hit his ceiling in Sacramento. It’s time to quit fooling ourselves into believing that he’s the savior that will lead this franchise to the promised land.

When fox came into the 4th we were down 8. He scored or assisted in 12 of the kings next 14 points and helped the kings to bring it to within 1. Yes he missed the last free throws but we aren’t close to in the game in the end without him. Fox did put on 10 extra pounds of muscle but he can only carry the team for so long. Maybe take out buddy at any point for the last mins of the game for a decent defender since he wasn’t helping on offense?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

dude keeps refusing to shoot in then 4th quarter.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

A guy that can play 5 positions isn’t an elite athlete?
Magic also would never pass up an easy layup.

Lol.

So you say that Magic wouldn’t turn down a wide open layup but then you present a montage of all his screw-ups during the highest pressure moments of the NBA Finals.

It’s true that even HOF-ers are going to make a few blunders during the course of their storied careers, but here’s the point:

If Fox can’t even make ONE free throw with a relatively meaningless game on the line, he sure as heck doesn’t have the mettle to hit the game-winning FTs under the bright lights when a championship hangs in the balance.

Moreover, Kings fans will never get the chance to find out because if Fox is the franchise’s best player then he’s never going to propel his team to that level of contention anyway.

Look, if you and some others think that Fox is THE cornerstone them fine - I’m not going to argue with you.

I personally think that the future is much more promising with Halliburton and/or Mitchell as the foundation, but I could be wrong.

Then again, I could be right.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox missing two consecutive free throws is a sideshow. His abject surrender of responsibility/leadership on the defensive end of the floor is the main act of this theater of the absurd. Every game he's telling McNair to trade him by being a defensive nonentity. Every game he's telling the league, "See, I can score. Trade for me. And I promise that when you trade for me I'll put out the effort on D (that I don't currently do for the sucky Kings)."

When fox came into the 4th we were down 8. He scored or assisted in 12 of the kings next 14 points and helped the kings to bring it to within 1. Yes he missed the last free throws but we aren’t close to in the game in the end without him. Fox did put on 10 extra pounds of muscle but he can only carry the team for so long. Maybe take out buddy at any point for the last mins of the game for a decent defender since he wasn’t helping on offense?
It's funny. When Fox is in a position to do so, he's proven he can put his foot in the other teams *** on more than one occasion. Rookie tips a ball and all of a sudden he's the key building block. I can see why some players end up hated in Sac. Expect players like Jason Thompson to become the next Chris Bosh and expect hate to follow when it doesn't go down. But it's on those people for expecting that. Expect the Kings young guys to be the next Lillard or Klay and that's on you. not them.