Blazers @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
c'est la vie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On January 6th 2002 Kings beat Bucks at ARCO 115 - 101 to improve to 26-9 for the season. Also they extended the winning streak to 7 and it eventualy reaches 12 games. Kings overslept the first quarter but then woke up and Bucks were done. Adelman used 6 man rotation and Webber had a triple double. So Webber lead the Kings with 28/12/10/1/2, Pedja had 29/2/3/1, Bobby had 22/6/3/2, DC had 19/2/5/5st, Vlade had "only" 8/13/5/1. Hedo was the bench with 9/1/2.

Chris Webber is looking more like his old self every game.Webber had 28 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists for his first triple-double of the season as the Sacramento Kings extended their season-high winning streak to seven games with a 115-101 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks.Webber missed the first 20 games of the season with a severely sprained ankle and three more in mid-December. But the Kings improved to 9-2 when he is in the lineup, and the All-Star power forward has dominated the last two games.After scoring 16 points in the fourth quarter of Friday's triumph at Phoenix, Webber came back with his 15th career triple-double and seventh with the Kings.

I brag to my friends in the NBA about what good players are on our team," Webber said. "This is just an example. I just want to become that overall player where if I have the ball you're worried that I'm not going to shoot but that I'm going to find someone."

"I don't know if we could have beaten them as well as they played," Bucks coach George Karl said. "We needed them to have a little bit of an off night. But they shot the ball real well."
---------------------------------------------------------------
After losing the heart breaker last night Kings dropped to irellevant 14-16 for the season wasting a good opportunity to get back to also irellevant .500. Also, Kings are dead last in the Pacific and also the division record (2-6) is the worst in the respective division. Kings have Blazers and Cavs at home before getting ready for a road trip that pretty much lasts the whole January with some exceptions. It might be a very long month folks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is still alive. Even if You refuse to call it a rivalry - whatever You want to call it - between Kings and Lakers - it is alive. It is on another level mostly due to the fact that both teams aren't very good anymore but the principles are the same. The fire is still there and if You put these teams in a PO series - it would be just like old times. You want evidence - that is easy. ARCO was on its feet in the last 5 minutes of the game. If You haven't heard "Beat LA !!!" chants towards the end of the game - You either need to get some hearing aid or You need to replace the one that You have because - it isn't working. It is good for the league too. How many games on national TV this year were as intensive, entertaining and exciting despite the 3 blind mice who tried to do everything to ruin it. This site was busy too. Way more than usual. Thank god it doesn't matter anymore:rolleyes:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was a general suggestion last night to "get a life." I thought it was a great idea so I went to Walmart to see whet they have on sale. Since there was no "buy one get one free" or even "2 for 5 $" type of deal I had to "go" on ebay and I am currently bidding with some other people to aquire a life of a party animal currently in coma due to overdose.
It all depends on Your personal definition of what is life. If You prefer a life - where You go to a party and get trashed (cool) and have no reccolection of it the next morning and all You remember is a bad headache. Or if You like to meet friends and play video games or god forbid - read a book:eek: - it is a personal choice. As for me - in those 3 + hrs I have experienced, pain, anger, joy, excitement, disappointment, intensity etc and shared it with other people. In those 3 hrs - not for a second was I bored or wished to do something else. Finally, despite the heart breaking ending - I went to bed (3am) tired and happy because I had a great evening. Life is good.
The game from last night is great example why Kings are mediocre at best. Let's start yet again with lack of size and talent - depth. We don't have either which caused us to get killed on the boards and to have wrong players on the floor at crucial parts of the game. Lack of consistancy - started horibble, the got worse, played really well but couldn't sustain it, fell, back again, came back and the choked the lead and looked lost in the overtime. All in one game. When a good team comes back from -21 - it finishes it up. When You are up 4 with 5 seconds to go and You missed 2 FTs in that strech - You don't deserve to win. Also - during the season we rarely had a game where more than one starter showed up and played really well. If we had those - we won them. Things won't change by themselves.
All this aside - the guys gave everything they had. They played hard, they fought, showed heart and cared. Unfortunately, they only did it ib the 2nd half and OT. It almost was enough but almost winning ... Anyways, it would be nice to see this type of effort more often- let's say - every night. We would definitely win enough games to be right around .500 which is middle of the nowhere.
Muss - can't coach or at least not for the whole game. Ocassionally he makes a good move and I am never sure whether he really meant it. As expected he was outcoached last night. He had hard time adjusting to the moves of the "zen master" Before the game he must have read Kafka. It took him 2 timeouts in the first quarter to reduce the bleading. In the half time he quoted Beckett:
"

Sicne Cook sarted hot he went smaller and we couldn't get a rebound. He never bothered to call a play for Kevin, He put Garcia and Douby in the game when they clearly had no business being there and they ended up taking shots that they can't make too. What happened in the last 5 seconds of the game is travesy itself and I am sure that he is to blame too. Overtime was very pathetic itself. Maybe he might be a okay coach on day and I understand that one gas to gain experience. I just wu=ish that the "on job training" would be on another team. We already had a coach.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Mike Bibby looked like Bibby of old last night. He just loves to play Lakers. Despite his pathetic defense and mossed FTs he was the only starter that actually played the whole game without taking breaks and disappearing. He must have been very tired in the OT but he still kept making shots. Too bad he did not have enough help. It was nice to see him playing well after the horrible start in the seaon due to injuries and then just lack of rythm. His defens is still and always will be horrible but when he plays like last night we can live with it.
Corliss Williamson had a great game. As expected - Lakers couldn't guard him and he made them pay and it is too bad we didn't use him more. If we disregard his numbers for a second (pretty good also) - he has put such a great effort. He played hard on both ends. Ended up being the best "big man" out there. He was everywhere. And he has been like this all season long. Great professional and he tries to do his best every second on the floor. Too bad those younger players seam to be unable to learn from him.
blaming him for the missed shot on the last play is not only unfair but unjust also. He and Mike got us in that position in the first place.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Kobe Bryant is a great player and obviously all of us would want to have a player of such a caliber on the Kings roster. We don't have anyone close. Also he is the worst Kings killer of them all. We will celebrate the day that he retires. Good part of what makes him great is the "superstar bonus" It is so wrong on many levels. He rarely gets called on "palming" on "traveling" and yet other than Wade no one else does it as much as him. The rules are not same for everyone. I still can't believe he didn't foul out. Ron got his 6th on a pull that would have never been called on Kobe. If that was a foul - Bryant should have been in jail for what he was doing during overtime. He was "crying" all game long. Where is a "T" ? Again - he is a great player but it is also much easier if You are above the rules.
Refs sucked big time. 3 of them are combined 275 years old and Robby Robinson is a young guy. Hasn't Bavetta done enough damage already ? He is 67 and he should have retired long time ago. I hate when those clowns make the game to be about them. They are supposed to enforce the rules and not to be main characters ina game. Every time on of them exhaled a breath - a foul was called. And in the 2nd half when they actually started to favor us - it was clear that we will pay for it down the strech. In the OT it was all Lakers. In fact - if Kobe went "O.J. Simpson" on us - he still wouldn't have fouled out. In fact - Bavetta would have been standing ove a dead body and calling a blocking foul. It is unfortuate that NBA doesn't have any standards for allowinf people to call a game. Only Violet Palmer was missing last night.
Charles Barkley is a clown and should never again get out of the TNT studio. He didn;t tell us anything that we didn't know last night. He was wrong so many times - I lost the count. Unfortunately towarsd the end of the regulation he was convinced that we won the game and we were screwed. As an analyst - one should help the viewers understand the game better and not make the whole broadcast a farce. He couldn't take his head out of Kobe's behind. He was rooting for Lakers all game long. Managed to say some nice things about the crowd and Bibby. Took numerous cheep shots at Kings. Spend half a game comparing himself to Dick Bavetta. Couldn't pronounce Vujacic or Radmanovic to save his life. Insulted his colleagues whenever he could and called his boss "fat" on national TV. Sure - You can call it funny but You can also call it pathetic, embarrasing etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So we almost won a game that we wanted so bad. Life goes on - and there will be other opportunities. We came back from -21 to almost win it but then we gave it away in style. We were - 17 on the boards, we allowd Lakers to shoot 53% and we were horrible from downtown (3-17). Worst of all we choked it away by missing FTs down the strech which sure sounds familiar. Mike's great game was canceled by Kobe who just couldn't foul out. Muss got outcoached and that is all she wrote.
AWARD TIME

TDM award went to Cook who won it in the first 5 minutes of the game. We had no answer for him. He eventually cooled down but the damage was done.
LW-VC award goes to Cisco. He played 18 minutes last night which is about 10 too many. He shouldn't have been on the floor but he was. He shouldn't have taken those shots but he did. He needs to get smarter and soon.
JHA award goes to Mo Taylor.Mo is not an answer to any questions whatsoever. It is more effective to play man down that to put him in the game because there is no reason to add insult to injury. Honorable mention - Jason Hart who came in the game just to take a foul.
Muss - DNC-CD as far as I am concerned.
So, how do You get excited to play Blazers after a night like this ? As bad as we are - Blazers are worse and we should be able to win this game and we probably will. Maybe this time we start the game well because if we do - it will be over quiclky. They have buch of tall players too but they are too young. Hopefully Brad will return and limit Joel to 20/15/5bl.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike - that is more like it
Kevin - be more agressive
Ron - who knows which one will show up
Brad - get well soon
SAR - wtch Your jaw
KT - hit a layup
Corliss - keep it up
Salmons - too scared to take a shot - wuss
rest - mateen
Muss - whatever
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Blazers shuld lose this game. They have Randolpk who will get his, they have bunch of no names ready to capture TDM award. And they have Joel.
Roy will win the TDM award. LW-VC will go to Udoka. Kings win in a blowout.

piksi said:
It is still alive. Even if You refuse to call it a rivalry - whatever You want to call it - between Kings and Lakers - it is alive. It is on another level mostly due to the fact that both teams aren't very good anymore but the principles are the same.
How can you actually compare these 2 teams? the Kings are not even close to the Lakers level right now and thats sadly the truth.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member

How can you actually compare these 2 teams? the Kings are not even close to the Lakers level right now and thats sadly the truth.
Yeah, except taking it to OT kinda plays with your definition of "close", doesn't it? :rolleyes:

piksi

Hall of Famer

it is irellevant in terms on how they compare as long as when they play each other the intensity and the excitement is there

Warhawk said:
Yeah, except taking it to OT kinda plays with your definition of "close", doesn't it?
No it just means we were able to comeback which is a couraging sign but the Lakers are simpley better at this point. they don't have the top 5 record in the league for no reason.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm with TheJoker on this one.

As much as it pains me to say it the Lakers are a far better team then us at this point. They're probably going to make it to the second round this year...We're probably going to be 9th or 10th and outta the playoffs.

And sure that was an exciting game....But the Lakers were missing two starters, one of them the best player on their team after Kobe. If they were healthy it would have been a blow out.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm with TheJoker on this one.

As much as it pains me to say it the Lakers are a far better team then us at this point. They're probably going to make it to the second round this year...We're probably going to be 9th or 10th and outta the playoffs.

And sure that was an exciting game....But the Lakers were missing two starters, one of them the best player on their team after Kobe. If they were healthy it would have been a blow out.
And we are missing our starting center (and only real "big" big) as well. He helps run the offense more than Mike sometimes. I realize they were more "injured" than us, but they never cut us any slack over the years with our injuries either - we pllayed through it just like they did.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Healthy Lakers > Healthy Kings. But Lakers minus their entire should be starting frontcourt (Mihm, Brown, Odom) vs. Kings minus Brad Miller is a much closer deal. Make it on our homecourt, and you could even have favored us in that matchup.

I hate the Lakers with a passion, but they are a better team right now. At so many points during the game you didnt know who looked more confused, the Kings's players or their coach. First quarter was a mess and i thanked god odom wasn't playing because it would have been even worse. yes i realize we were missing Brad but its not like he is steve nash. They are a better team and we have to answer a lot of questions. Perhaps more than just one 7 footer on the roster would help. If corliss and KT and SAR were taller we would be golden but they are not so we need a real big, not a 6-7 big.

"Muss - DNC-CD as far as I am concerned."

Now THAT not only is the truth, but of the finest hilarity only piksi can deliver.
:D

woo i can watch this game! and one week from tonight i'llbe at the game! YES! ahh the good parts about living in portland :D

excellent game starter as always piksi.

piksi said:
It is still alive. Even if You refuse to call it a rivalry - whatever You want to call it - between Kings and Lakers - it is alive. It is on another level mostly due to the fact that both teams aren't very good anymore but the principles are the same.
LA's 22-11 w/o Odom (19/8/5) for the last 13 games. At least 3 wins turned losses in there absent Lamar. SA is 23-11 right now for comparison. Utah is 23-10. LA has gotten gypped by their injury moreso than any other team w/ a top record.

Sac has comparable talent (it could be argued), but it's all moot because they're obviously in limbo right now w/ A & B. I don't doubt that they could still make it in the playoffs if they figure it out, but the silver bullet to fix their problem has fallen into a grate like at the end of Silver Bullet.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He has to practice first. Caches rules and I doubt he was in practice today. Find out during the pregame.

a) stupid blanket rules pee me off.
b) we really shouldn't need him for this one. The Blazers have us dramatically outsized, but they are young and sucky and on the road, and likely as not they will barely put up an organized resistance as we blow them out. Not a guarantee obviously. But this is another one of those freebies we should get no matter who we start inside.

piksi

Hall of Famer
LA's 22-11 w/o Odom (19/8/5) for the last 13 games. At least 3 wins turned losses in there absent Lamar. SA is 23-11 right now for comparison. Utah is 23-10. LA has gotten gypped by their injury moreso than any other team w/ a top record.

Sac has comparable talent (it could be argued), but it's all moot because they're obviously in limbo right now w/ A & B. I don't doubt that they could still make it in the playoffs if they figure it out, but the silver bullet to fix their problem has fallen into a grate like at the end of Silver Bullet.
let's see how it goes against Dallas

a) stupid blanket rules pee me off.
b) we really shouldn't need him for this one. The Blazers have us dramatically outsized, but they are young and sucky and on the road, and likely as not they will barely put up an organized resistance as we blow them out. Not a guarantee obviously. But this is another one of those freebies we should get no matter who we start inside.
According to the Bee, Williams was at the Laker game so it seems that he could/should have practiced yesterday.

I think this may be a good feet wetting game for him. Lower pressure, going against younger guys, etc.

drat the game isn't on TV here in portland... stupid NFL football playoffs.....

well at least there is radio. i'll be listnening while i'm working out

GO KINGS!

A

AriesMar27

the lakers and kings are pretty much on an even level in terms of talent... but the coaching is so far off that it isnt even funny.... but 1 freethrow was all the kings needed... yeah.... that sucks....

piksi

Hall of Famer
the lakers and kings are pretty much on an even level in terms of talent... but the coaching is so far off that it isnt even funny.... but 1 freethrow was all the kings needed... yeah.... that sucks....

I bet - you have said that before and on several occasions

Its hard not to focus on Martin's and Bibby's missed FTs at the end. But we were out-rebounded 51-36 and LA shot 52%. Does anybody really believe it was a missed FT that cost us the game? We held the Lakers to 43 second half points, but they had 74 points in the first half. Maybe a full game of defense might have helped?

Another good intro, Piksi. Hopefully the Kings can focus for 48 minutes one of these nights. Like starting tonight.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
piksi said:
Corliss Williamson had a great game. As expected - Lakers couldn't guard him and he made them pay and it is too bad we didn't use him more. If we disregard his numbers for a second (pretty good also) - he has put such a great effort. He played hard on both ends. Ended up being the best "big man" out there. He was everywhere. And he has been like this all season long. Great professional and he tries to do his best every second on the floor. Too bad those younger players seam to be unable to learn from him.
blaming him for the missed shot on the last play is not only unfair but unjust also. He and Mike got us in that position in the first place.
THANK YOU!

I think people need to recognize that Corliss is showing the heart and pride we all want our players to have. And he brings it every single night. His skills may be diminishing somewhat but his "hunger" is still there, even with the jewelry he has...

Nice intro again, piksi.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.