Bill Simmons claims league is expanding with new franchises in Seattle and Vegas.

New team in Las Vegas and the return of the Sonics-

• Total voters
Kings in a NW division good. But I don't like the idea of adding two teams.

Technically the talent around the league can probably survive it though. I can see us getting hosed in an expansion draft.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So, LeBron is going to draft Bronny instead of play with him?

Anyway, it seems pretty inevitable that the league is going to expand eventually, Seattle and Vegas are obvious. We're not quite to the "I've got some intel, I think the sun is going to rise in the East tomorrow", but Simmons isn't exactly going out on a limb here.

I just feel like having a Vegas team wouldn't be great for the league.. not sure I can trust millionaire athletes to be on their best behavior there. With that being said, I think it would instantly become FA destination #1.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I wonder if there's a way to just add two teams without an expansion draft. There's a lot of talent kicking around the G League and overseas which just gets forced out by the incoming rookies every year. With all the players who got called in as Covid replacements this season it seems like there's enough talent available to fill out two rosters plus they would have access to free agents and the (regular) draft.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Regarding the poll, I voted yes that Seattle deserves to get the Sonics back. Vegas is going to be a debacle with all the off-the-court shenanigans likely to follow not to mention the league is already getting more and more comfortable with incorporating gambling into their business model which leads to some potential conflict of interest. It feels inevitable though. The new proposed divisional alignments make a lot more sense than the current ones too (with Charlotte and Minnesota finally moving to the Eastern Conference).

EDIT: Scratch that, was Charlotte ever in the Western Conference? Did I Nelson Mandela myself?

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
EDIT: Scratch that, was Charlotte ever in the Western Conference? Did I Nelson Mandela myself?
Charlotte was never in the West. But the Hornets, when they were in New Orleans, moved to the West (following two years in the East in the Big Easy) and stayed in the West for nine years as the Hornets before rebranding as the Pelicans.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Charlotte was never in the West. But the Hornets, when they were in New Orleans, moved to the West (following two years in the East in the Big Easy) and stayed in the West for nine years as the Hornets before rebranding as the Pelicans.
Ah, that makes sense. Baron Davis, Tyson Chandler, and Chris Paul playing for New Orleans in those teal unis is probably where the memory imprint comes from. Thanks for the clarification!

How crazy is it that just over 5 years ago Las Vegas didn’t have a single franchise among the 4 major sports leagues and very soon could have 3?!

Maybe even all 4 should the A’s leave Oakland and decide to relocate there (I still contend that SAC would be a far better home than Vegas or Nashville).

Still, is 3 or 4 teams inside of 5-7 years too much too soon? Can Vegas support all of them in the long term?

I just feel like having a Vegas team wouldn't be great for the league.. not sure I can trust millionaire athletes to be on their best behavior there. With that being said, I think it would instantly become FA destination #1.
What athletes are on their best behavior?

Seattle is a great sports town. I used to watch the Sonics games live all the time.
Las Vegas has shown great support for the Raiders and the Black Knights of the NHL.