Bibby CAN play defense

A

AriesMar27

i'm not doubting you and i didnt see the game but didnt terry and harris sit this one out?

i'm not doubting you and i didnt see the game but didnt terry and harris sit this one out?

well he did a damn good job on anthony johnson..who in his last game put up 40 pts on a first team defender in J.Kidd:D

ya dirk stack harris and terry did not see time, maybe other too im not 100 percent sure of thei whole lineup, what about that guy that had pretty good game aganst us, powell maybe he didnt play or maybe he went to indiana?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't care if you doubt me or not. I did see the game, as evidenced by the PBP. If you check it out, I think you'll see consistent references to the excellent job Bibby did on defense.

while listening to the game, i kept on hearing them say "bibby pressuring," "bibby goes for the steal," etc. just bibby flat out hustiling. i LOVE it. hope he keeps it up. i know he can do it. :)

i'm excited!

go kings!!! :D

I thought Bibby looked like he can move easier and quicker. The weight loss was good for him. Honestly, he just looks healthier to me than he did at the beginning of last year. Probably the switch to eating less junk food.

Whatever, I thought he looked good on both ends of the floor and seemed rejuvenated to me. He also had 6 assists(?) in 21 minutes? Pretty darn good.

I wonder if Bibby's wanting to make the All-star team this year. He's certainly been talented enough in previous years, but adding a defensive end to his game would make the coaches look at him a lot more favorably.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the fact Bibby actually got more time to rest and relax over TDOS was also beneficial. Remember, the year before he was totally broken down by the end of the season.

I thought Bibby looked like he can move easier and quicker. The weight loss was good for him. Honestly, he just looks healthier to me than he did at the beginning of last year. Probably the switch to eating less junk food.

Whatever, I thought he looked good on both ends of the floor and seemed rejuvenated to me. He also had 6 assists(?) in 21 minutes? Pretty darn good.

not just good, he was awesome on offense

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He didn't have to guard anybody, but it wasn't his effectiveness that was so impressive -- it was his hustle. Far FAR more active on defense then maybe we have ever seen him, and quicker too (probably the weight loss). I'm sure Terry and Harris would have fared much better than Anthony bleeping Johsnon, but the effort and energy was there, and if it continues he promises to make things a lot harder on guys, no matter how good they are.

I wonder if Bibby's wanting to make the All-star team this year. He's certainly been talented enough in previous years, but adding a defensive end to his game would make the coaches look at him a lot more favorably.
bibbys my fav player but it justs seems like he may never make it no matter how good he plays, obviously if he an outright stud hell make it, but i think cp3, j rich, anthony will probably be the newest all starts to make it from the west, i hope hope hope im wrong , but i think bibby may have had his best scoring season last year..hope im worng though

He didn't have to guard anybody, but it wasn't his effectiveness that was so impressive -- it was his hustle. Far FAR more active on defense then maybe we have ever seen him, and quicker too (probably the weight loss). I'm sure Terry and Harris would have fared much better than Anthony bleeping Johsnon, but the effort and energy was there, and if it continues he promises to make things a lot harder on guys, no matter how good they are.

i dont think ajs that bad, id take him as our back up pg anyday

Bricklayer

i dont think ajs that bad, id take him as our back up pg anyday
Yes, but 40pt freak game aside, he's a 5.7ppg career scorer on 41% shooting. Even during the last two years when he's been better, he still has never scored in double figures. His calling card is really defense more than offense, so hence, on most nights not the greatest challenge to a defensive player.

He can. And damn well too. Gotta tell you for those who didn't see it. Bibby was...gulp...ARTEST LIKE!

He didn't take any plays off on defense. I have NEVER seen Bibby play defense like this before. He looked good too. He really slimmed down quite a bit.

Entity

Hall of Famer
yeah i realize it was anthony johnson. But for those of you that didn't see it you can tell it wasn't because of who he was playing it was all Bibby. I have never seen him get down in the defensive stance with arms wide and knees bent and staying in front of his man FULL COURT

I don't care if you doubt me or not. I did see the game, as evidenced by the PBP. If you check it out, I think you'll see consistent references to the excellent job Bibby did on defense.
i noticed bibby change/better defensively in the first few minutes in the 1st quarter.
i think i made the mistake of picking up hinrich instead of bibby in one my my fantasy league :(

If Mike Bibby puts the effort he put in tonight, night in and night out, save his spot in Vegas come February.

And I totally agree. Anthony Johnson or not (who is no slouch BTW) tonight was all Mike. He deserves a lot of credit for buying in to Muss' D and for playing his butt off.

according to the accounts in this thread, it seems that mike can indeed play a little defense. the word here to note is "can." we know he's capable. he just did it tonight. he's moving well. the hustle's there. his head's in it...his heart's in it. based on his performance tonight, his strides at weight loss in the offseason, the things he said in the offseason, what was said about him in the offseason, and what you've all said in this thread, its clear that--after a career year--he still wants to become a better player. that's really encouraging, and is the true mark of a player who chooses to lead by example. now, obviously we can't get too ahead of ourselves. mike bibby isn't about to make the all-defensive team. but if he is able to give relatively consistent defensive efforts night in and night out, the kings are going to be a whole lot better off. couple that with another great offensive year, and bibby could conceivably be in the running for an all star spot. the naysayers will disagree...but i wouldn't rule it out.

i noticed bibby change/better defensively in the first few minutes in the 1st quarter.
i think i made the mistake of picking up hinrich instead of bibby in one my my fantasy league :(
picking up, like they were on waivers? niether or those guys should ever be on waivers, but ya bibby is a much btter fansasty player than kirk

Bricklayer

Thing is, we'll have to see if he sustains -- right now it could well be essentially showing off for the new coach rather than soemthing that is going to happen every game. Good thing is its likely not all Muss, or even mainly Muss. I also think Mike would like to be an All Star, probably got tired of people making fun of his defense, and don't forget that if he opts out, and he may, this could very well be a contract year (also of course the Artest factor). So throw all that together and even if he tires of Muss's message, maybe he will have enough inspiration to stay attentive on defense. Maybe not manic like tonight, but hopefully work at it and play on that side of the ball like he cares.

I agree with Padrino's and Brick's posts. I didn't get to catch the game but from everything I hear, Mike's hustle and effort were pretty impressive, and this alone is music to my ears. I can't wait to see if he can consistently contribute like this throughout the season. It would be awesome for him to finally become an all-star.

Thing is, we'll have to see if he sustains -- right now it could well be essentially showing off for the new coach rather than soemthing that is going to happen every game. Good thing is its likely not all Muss, or even mainly Muss. I also think Mike would like to be an All Star, probably got tired of people making fun of his defense, and don't forget that if he opts out, and he may, this could very well be a contract year (also of course the Artest factor). So throw all that together and even if he tires of Muss's message, maybe he will have enough inspiration to stay attentive on defense. Maybe not manic like tonight, but hopefully work at it and play on that side of the ball like he cares.
From what I have gathered, I don't think Muss will except much less. I wouldn't really say Mike was manic but you could definitely tell that he was playing with effort. It was that simple, and it is that simple -- Effort. Apparently this is what he has been doing all of training camp thus far. And I think the Artest factor plays a major role in this.

Amazing what a new coach can inspire you to do :)
IMHO, there might be several reasons other than a new coach's inspiration. Few that I can think of, in no particular order
  1. Coach's inspiration: Not to discount it.
  2. Leaner Meaner Bibby.
  3. First game of the preseason. A cynical view, but the real proof shall come in regular season, when he has to play longer minutes against tougher opposition.
  4. Owners' talk about defence: Defence was one of the main slogans of the Maloofs, when Rick was let go. While it might have been more of a ploy, since his record couldn't be questioned, it puts pressure on the new coach and players to display at least some improvement in that area.
  5. Team composition and running game: Over the last couple of years, more and more teams in the league are going small and playing fast. Last year's team was not too well geared for it (particularly with Peja not having a good year). Bonzi and Reef are both post players. In contrast, this year, amongst our starters, 1, 2, 3 and 4 can all run. This does not translate into full court press, but puts additional focus on defence, since good defence feeds into a running game.
  6. Depth behind Bibby and ball handlers: Last year he played huge minutes, and was also the primary ball handler. Hart didn't pan out as we all had hoped. Bonzi and Peja were not much of ball handlers, so Bibby had a huge load. This year, Salmons, Martin, Garcia and Artest shall handle at least some of the ball handling duties (maybe even Hart and Price), allowing Bibby to spend a little more energy on defence. Hopefully coach shall be able to reduce his minutes to a certain extent too.
  7. Artest effect: Since he arrived in Sacramento, Artest has played and preached defence. Some of that has to rub on.
  8. Contract year: With an option to opt out after this year, he can be a free agent. Addressing one area that he is criticized for is not a bad idea in a contract year. This is not a knock on him. He had played very hard and very well, without taking games off over the last few years, even as he has seen the cast around him changing completely. It is but human for anyone to put in that little extra effort in a contract year though.

You mean...like a real point guard?.....Wow.

All joking aside, I am impressed. But like other fans I would like to see it consistently before I hit my head on the ceiling.

I hope Bibby opts to stay with the Kings, especially if is defense has improved. He just a really smart PG, with exceptional skills, which is not easy to find. I love Bibby and I hope he stays.