Best way to make kings more defensive???

Best way to make kings a defensive minded team???

• Fire Rick Adelman; hire a defensive minded coach

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • Add Defensive Roll Players (like Seattle did); but keep core (Bibby, Peja, Miller intact)

Votes: 62 62.0%
  • Trade for a Defensive Stud; (i.e. Peja for Artest)

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Blow the whole team up and start the rebuilding process with defensive players

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
with all the talk of the maloofs wanting to get more defensive minded instead of just being an offensive team, with little or no defense... we know some changes are going to be made this off season (if there is no lockout)... what do people think would be the best way for the kings to change their no defensive playing ways.... we all know that championships are won by defense and the maloofs finally realize this, so if you were petrie, what would you do???

Last edited:
F

Fillmoe

a defensive stopper would be nice because he would have an affect on the other players......... but also a defensive minded coach would be nice too

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
first thing a defensive minded coach with any pull does is ask that we trade one or more of ouor non-defensive minded "core", so the two things could almsot merge into one.

Look to the NFL Draft for a defensive front line:

1 - Fearsome Foursome
2 - Steel Curtain
3 - Purple People Eaters
4 - Any Raider Defensive line from the 70's
5 - 49'ers Gold Rush from the 80's

Good poll. I'm not sure where to lean. I could go with what I think Petrie and the Maloofs should do, versus what I think they will do.

hate to say it but we need a bruce bowen. somebody that can take out the other teams top scorer. we also need a big defensive rebounder in case that scorer happens to be a center. someone that can be really physical and grab 15 a night. we also might need a different coach because even if we had these guys they might not play under adelman's system (unless of course they could score).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doug Christie was our Bruce Bowen.:(

But anyways... for the poll I think we would need to get a new coach, and to get defensive roll players.

new coach, i think even if we got a defensivly minded player, it wouldnt help because we have a coach who teaches offense. It all starts with the coach, so that why i voted for a new coach.

Really good poll. I'd almost be in favor of trading one of the core for a defensive stopper, but I have to vote for bringing in some defensive role players. I think our offense could still be potent with Brad, Peja and Mike +we can get stops at least some of the time, it's getting the defensive rebound that kills us more often than not.

For reference:

Defensive Studs:
Ben Wallace
AK47
Ron Artest
Bruce Bowen
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Larry Hughes
Tayshaun Prince
Marcus Camby
Shawn Marion

Defensive Role Players:
Theo Ratliff
James Posey
Shane Battier
Ira Nweble
Mickael Pietrus
Matt Harpring
Joelzilla
Greg Buckner
Reggie Evans
Lindsey Hunter

Feel free to comment, I'll edit and add more with suggestions.

As for my comment: could we even get any of those studs for Peja standup?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you REALLY want a defense-oriented team, you'd better be willing to put the match to some high explosives. Blow up the team and start over - with defense being your primary option.

I don't want a defense-oriented team. I want a balanced team that can play defense, but that can also put up Western conference numbers on offense. We had a team like that in 2002-2003, right up until the moment Webber crumpled to the floor in Dallas...

There's a balance that can be achieved, IMHO, without going too far in the opposite direction.

T

thesanityannex

LPKingsFan said:
For reference:

Defensive Studs:
Ben Wallace
AK47
Ron Artest
Bruce Bowen
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Larry Hughes
Tayshaun Prince
Marcus Camby
Shawn Marion

Defensive Role Players:
Theo Ratliff
James Posey
Shane Battier
Ira Nweble
Mickael Pietrus
Matt Harpring
Joelzilla
Greg Buckner
Reggie Evans

Feel free to comment, I'll edit and add more with suggestions.

As for my comment: could we even get many of those studs for Peja standup?
I don't know if I'd call him a defensive stud but I would add Lindsey Hunter to the list as a Defensive Pest.

T

thesanityannex

VF21 said:
If you REALLY want a defense-oriented team, you'd better be willing to put the match to some high explosives. Blow up the team and start over - with defense being your primary option.

I don't want a defense-oriented team. I want a balanced team that can play defense, but that can also put up Western conference numbers on offense. We had a team like that in 2002-2003, right up until the moment Webber crumpled to the floor in Dallas...

There's a balance that can be achieved, IMHO, without going too far in the opposite direction.
Agreed. Defensive oriented teams (Spurs/Pistons) are kind of boring to watch. I watch the kings for their high powered offense, and their weak defense.

thesanityannex said:
Agreed. Defensive oriented teams (Spurs/Pistons) are kind of boring to watch. I watch the kings for their high powered offense, and their weak defense.
It's interesting that you'd say that ....

Watching Detroit and San Antonio IN THE PAST ... and in comparison to Dallas, Phoenix, Seattle and yes - Sacramento .... boring ball was the term used in classifying their style.

I could be OUTTA MY MIND, but as I watched these two team this past season, although the scores are low, the games are intense ... because of the defense being played, all possessions are important and treated as such. It's not like there are a ton of turnovers or they walk the ball up the court on each possession .... they are playing intense ball !!!

VF21 said:

EXACTLY!!!!!! Thank goodness it is not my job to figure out how to get it done because I HAVE NO CLUE!! The only things I am sure about is that JUST changing the coach is not going to get it done and player changes are on the horizon.

thesanityannex said:
Best ways to make the Kings more defensive???
Score more than the other team!
lol, bingo...

kingsofnba said:
Add Defensive Roll Players (like Seattle did); but keep core (Bibby, Peja, Miller intact)
I think this is the best option. Offense is the Kings identity, don't like the idea of rebuilding the team from a scratch turning into D (boring) team. We need 2 athletic Doug and Nazr Muhammed type of players in our starting 5 at least.

Folsom Al said:

Watching Detroit and San Antonio IN THE PAST ... and in comparison to Dallas, Phoenix, Seattle and yes - Sacramento .... boring ball was the term used in classifying their style.

I could be OUTTA MY MIND, but as I watched these two team this past season, although the scores are low, the games are intense ... because of the defense being played, all possessions are important and treated as such. It's not like there are a ton of turnovers or they walk the ball up the court on each possession .... they are playing intense ball !!!
Exactly! I've thoroughly enjoyed their games. Besides, the Spurs and Pistons are recent champs! Isn't that what we all want? We've tried the high-powered offense strategy for a few years now and look how happy we all are!

T

thesanityannex

Folsom Al said:

True, I have been surprised this year by spurs/pistons. Manu makes the spurs fun to watch. Plus, both teams seem more energetic on offense this year.

why do we still have elston turner and t.r. dunn on our staff. they're our "defensive coordinators". get a big name defensive assistant.

who's out there?

PJ Carlissimo for HC??

I love Popovich, IMO he's best coach in the NBA. but i like someone experienced who's been a good protege to Pop. PJ seems to be it. Sure he was unsuccessful at GS, but considering the guy has been Poppa's RH man for the past 3 seasons, it seems that it would be a good and cheaper option than phil.

Bricklayer

stevetaebo said:
PJ Carlissimo for HC??

I love Popovich, IMO he's best coach in the NBA. but i like someone experienced who's been a good protege to Pop. PJ seems to be it. Sure he was unsuccessful at GS, but considering the guy has been Poppa's RH man for the past 3 seasons, it seems that it would be a good and cheaper option than phil.
You've got to be kidding me. The guy was a joke. Its beyond amusing that playing flunkie to Pop for a few years has suddenly made people forget. Hell, he probably DESERVED that strangling from Spree he was such a notorious jerk. Lost every team he coached. Classic college screamer unable to deal with having to coach full grown men who were his equals and weren't going to tolerate being abused like children.

As an aside -- one more time people, ITS NOT THE COACHING. In two years our Opp PPG have gone up from 95.2 to 101.6. Our Opp FG% from 42% to 46%. Same coaches. Different players. You do the math.

Last edited:
Keep Bibby, Peja, Brad, Bobby, like the Maloofs stated and build a defensive core around those guys. When some play defense the rest do as well... most of the time.

Bricklayer

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Keep Bibby, Peja, Brad, Bobby, like the Maloofs stated and build a defensive core around those guys. When some play defense the rest do as well... most of the time.
Its simplistic to say that would be enough -- here's the flip side, those three aren't good enough on OFFENSE, let alone the big softness issues (and Brad is a problem because he's less disruptive than Vlade was inside). But those three guys cannot post, and have a fraction of the creative abilities of our old team. So sure, you need to surround them with defensive players. But not just defensive roleplayers, one or more defensive STUDS. Who ALSO can post, and create offense. In other words, a set of palyers who do all of the things that actually win you championships. Kind of sad that you are have to bring in new guys to actually win and matter for you, while your "core" sits outside shooting jumpers. That's asking a tremendous amount to find tough interior players and stoppers without giving anything or anybody up, and the easier path back into mattering may be breaking up the softy "core".

Just as an aside, no championship team as long as I have been watching has ever had a core that looked anything like Bibby/Peja/Miller -- the attachment to that trio because of sentiment or because they are "pretty" or whatever flies in the face of the entire history of the league.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
those three aren't good enough on OFFENSE.

Bibby and Peja both averaged 20 points per game during the season. Brad averaged 16. They struggled at times, but overall, I do not think offense was a problem. Their defense stinks and they are WAY too soft. Nobody could argue differently, but in what ways do they need to improve offensively?

Entity

Hall of Famer
They need to be more versatile. Peja couldn't create in shootarounds by himself. Brad has the leaping ability of an alligator and Bibby only drives to the basket when he misses 3 or 4 jumpers in a row. Our only aggressor is Bobby Jackson and he gets hurt everytime he puts on his shoes and his shooting % is on a rapid decline from years past. So yes our Offense could be much better or at least smoother. Lets hope Wayne Simien can play Defense and comes in much like the reporters are saying "ready for the NBA". Oh yeah and lets hope we are able to draft him.

Entity said:
They need to be more versatile. Peja couldn't create in shootarounds by himself. Brad has the leaping ability of an alligator and Bibby only drives to the basket when he misses 3 or 4 jumpers in a row. Our only aggressor is Bobby Jackson and he gets hurt everytime he puts on his shoes and his shooting % is on a rapid decline from years past. So yes our Offense could be much better or at least smoother. Lets hope Wayne Simien can play Defense and comes in much like the reporters are saying "ready for the NBA". Oh yeah and lets hope we are able to draft him.
I was not thinking of it in that light. I agree completly about Peja and Miller. I think Brad himself said he had only one dunk! I'm not very worried about Bibby's offense, but I do agree about Peja and Brad.