Ben Simmons

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
https://www.nj.com/nets/2023/01/ben...th-a-ski-mask-and-gloves-jalen-rose-says.html

“Ben Simmons is stealing money, ski mask and gloves, as a matter of fact,” former NBA star Jalen Rose said Friday night on ESPN’s “NBA Countdown.”

Smith pointed out that Simmons is making $35 million this season and stands to make nearly $38 million next season and $40 million in 2024-25, and despite his mental health issues he’s still “cashing checks.”

Rose pointed out that Simmons has 119 fouls and 113 baskets this season, with only two outside the paint.

For Barnes and Holmes (AND NOTHING ELSE) I am not sure you could say no, but the Nets would.
Oh heck no, not the way Barnes has been playing lately. It would be a 100% downgrade so why do it? Barnes is averaging 20ppg with 52%FG and 50%3PT in January. Barnes is one of the main reasons we are winning! Not to mention he's been with the team for a long time now, and there is no reason to get rid of him when he brings the veteran presence.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Oh heck no, not the way Barnes has been playing lately. It would be a 100% downgrade so why do it? Barnes is averaging 20ppg with 52%FG and 50%3PT in January. Barnes is one of the main reasons we are winning! Not to mention he's been with the team for a long time now, and there is no reason to get rid of him when he brings the veteran presence.
I posted that on 10/31 when Barnes was playing horribly.

His defense is still good and he can still rebound and assist well. What’s holding him back from returning to an All-Star level is his lack of aggression in terms of scoring. It’s all mental because he doesn’t wanna go to the free throw line.

I did want Simmons when I thought his “mental problems” were an act to get out of Philly, but he hasn’t dropped the act yet. Obviously a player with his defensive versatility, rebounding and playmaking would be a game changer for the Kings even if he doesn’t regain his offensive form that he had on Philly…but I don’t trust him at that price tag

Warhawk

Staff member
I did want Simmons when I thought his “mental problems” were an act to get out of Philly, but he hasn’t dropped the act yet. Obviously a player with his defensive versatility, rebounding and playmaking would be a game changer for the Kings even if he doesn’t regain his offensive form that he had on Philly…but I don’t trust him at that price tag
Um, that's one of the points I've been making since this popped up a while back. It's not an "act". Until he can get all the help he needs and can return to his previous form, that contract is absolutely horrible and is a boat anchor on any franchise that takes it on.

Um, that's one of the points I've been making since this popped up a while back. It's not an "act". Until he can get all the help he needs and can return to his previous form, that contract is absolutely horrible and is a boat anchor on any franchise that takes it on.
Um, That’s what I was saying. I said I thought it was and it isn’t(“back when I thought it was an act”) Saying he “hasn’t dropped the act” wasn’t meant to infer I still think it’s an act. It was sarcastic…and I made it clear at the end of my post the money is too much if he can’t work it out and I don’t trust that he can at this point.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
Um, That’s what I was saying. I said I thought it was and it isn’t(“back when I thought it was an act”) Saying he “hasn’t dropped the act” wasn’t meant to infer I still think it’s an act. It was sarcastic…and I made it clear at the end of my post the money is too much if he can’t work it out and I don’t trust that he can at this point.
Sorry, that didn't come through for me. Thanks for clarifying.

We need a sarcastic font sometimes.

Warhawk

Staff member
Ben Simmons' Injury Status For Nets-Celtics Game - Fastbreak on FanNation

Simmons has missed each of the last four games, so this will be his fifth straight out of action.

The former LSU star is currently averaging 6.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.3 steals per contest in 42 games (while shooting 56.6% from the field).
One would think $35 million would get you better numbers than this....he's made $122,321 per point he's scored this year based on the numbers above. :eek:

In contrast, Fox has made $21,254 per point scored.

I know that is simplistic, but I was just curious how the numbers looked and thought I would share.

Ben Simmons' Injury Status For Nets-Celtics Game - Fastbreak on FanNation

One would think $35 million would get you better numbers than this....he's made $122,321 per point he's scored this year based on the numbers above. :eek:

In contrast, Fox has made $21,254 per point scored.

I know that is simplistic, but I was just curious how the numbers looked and thought I would share.
I wonder if that story is true that Bradley Beal mentally broke him in that Playoffs series...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Every time I hear the name Ben Simmons, I silently thank Daryl Morey for being so greedy.
Daryl Morey being greedy also led to the Kings “trading” for Kessler Edwards (trading is in quotation marks here because the Nets literally paid the Kings money to take him) instead of trading for Thybulle, who is up for extension this summer and surprisingly a lot older than Kessler is.

in other words, thanks Daryl for saving us from ourselves.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daryl Morey being greedy also led to the Kings “trading” for Kessler Edwards (trading is in quotation marks here because the Nets literally paid the Kings money to take him) instead of trading for Thybulle, who is up for extension this summer and surprisingly a lot older than Kessler is.

in other words, thanks Daryl for saving us from ourselves.
I knew Thybulle had fallen out of favor for the Sixers, but his numbers were worse than I realized. In fact, other than steals, Edwards is doing more for the Kings than Matisse was doing for the 76ers.

Thybulle for PHI: 12.1 mpg, 43.1 FG%, 33.3 3P%, 2.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.9 spg, 0.3 bpg
Edwards for SAC: 14.0 mpg, 47.6 FG%, 38.5 3P%, 4.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.3 spg, 0.2 bpg

To be fair to Thybulle, he's started for the Trailblazers since the trade and has been playing significantly better. In particular, he's shooting much better from the field and is hitting almost 40% of his threes (.392) which may or may not be sustainable. His foul rate is also down significantly, likely because he's gambling less knowing that he's averaging 28.0 mpg vs 12.1 mpg.

They are different players (Edwards is more of a man-to-man defender vs Thybulle who is an overall disruptor/free safety type), but Thybulle has made the All-Defensive 2nd team twice and was being valued (by Morey anyway) as at least a future FRP as recently as last year.

The idea that the Kings may have got a player who is maybe just a tier lower as defender and shoots/scores well enough to not grind the offense to a halt for better than free is pretty amazing.

Seriously.

And I was onboard with a Fox for Simmons trade at the time. Dodged a bullet there.
I was never onboard with the idea of trading Fox for Simmons, but I was a huge proponent of buying low on him, and at the time I thought it would have been a strong move from McNair if he had pulled it off. I'm certainly glad such a trade never came to pass. Surrendering even minimal assets in a Simmons deal would have saddled the Kings with an irredeemable contract and situation. Ben Simmons may play basketball from time to time for the Brooklyn Nets, but he is not a basketball player anymore. He's a young man with back problems, mental health concerns, and confidence issues; and he's also a young man without an obvious love for the game. He's simply become the single worst investment in the NBA. Dodged a bullet, indeed.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I was never onboard with the idea of trading Fox for Simmons, but I was a huge proponent of buying low on him, and at the time I thought it would have been a strong move from McNair if he had pulled it off. I'm certainly glad such a trade never came to pass. Surrendering even minimal assets in a Simmons deal would have saddled the Kings with an irredeemable contract and situation. Ben Simmons may play basketball from time to time for the Brooklyn Nets, but he is not a basketball player anymore. He's a young man with back problems, mental health concerns, and confidence issues; and he's also a young man without an obvious love for the game. He's simply become the single worst investment in the NBA. Dodged a bullet, indeed.
Yeah I was probably one of the biggest Fox lovers and not on that train but absolutely with you on the "get them when they get desperate" train. Would have been a disaster being stuck with that contract.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I was probably one of the biggest Fox lovers and not on that train but absolutely with you on the "get them when they get desperate" train. Would have been a disaster being stuck with that contract.
At the time I didn't see a way forward for a Kings team led by Fox and Haliburton, especially when De'Aaron had regressed and was averaging a career low from 3. Fox had never made an all-star team and based on how poorly he played before Tyrese was traded, I didn't know if he'd be yet another King whose contract ended up being an albatross.

Also, at the time I (and I think everyone else) believed that Simmons didn't really have any physical issues and that his mental issues were largely a ploy to force a trade. In my mind he was a 3 time all-star, two time all-defensive team member, and a 3rd team all-NBA player who could run a team and guard 1-5.

I've never been a big Ben Simmons fan, but it just seemed like the smart move. Kind of amazing how much things have changed in the last year.

At the time I didn't see a way forward for a Kings team led by Fox and Haliburton, especially when De'Aaron had regressed and was averaging a career low from 3. Fox had never made an all-star team and based on how poorly he played before Tyrese was traded, I didn't know if he'd be yet another King whose contract ended up being an albatross.

Also, at the time I (and I think everyone else) believed that Simmons didn't really have any physical issues and that his mental issues were largely a ploy to force a trade. In my mind he was a 3 time all-star, two time all-defensive team member, and a 3rd team all-NBA player who could run a team and guard 1-5.

I've never been a big Ben Simmons fan, but it just seemed like the smart move. Kind of amazing how much things have changed in the last year.
I certainly cannot disagree with that last point! It's wild how much the landscape has shifted for the Kings in the last year. Many around the NBA and here at KF.com considered Fox a seriously depressed asset before and after the Haliburton trade. Now he's being mentioned by the likes of Bill Simmons (who at one point suggested the Kings trade Fox for Westbrook and future first rounders) as his #5 pick in the '23 MVP race. I think such a nod goes to Sabonis, and I think most would likewise consider Domas to be the King with the worthiest case for fringe-MVP consideration, but either way, it really is amazing to see De'Aaron getting his due after the miserable season he had last year. It's such a rare thing to watch a Kings draft pick flourish; we're so used to seeing them flounder within a losing culture with little hope of their prospects improving.

Neither did Walton apparently. The easy way was just do what the Blazers did with two pick and roll guards. Or the Wizards. Or the Rockets. Etc. Etc. Etc. It was inexcusable Fox and Hali couldn't both excel at the same time even though they weren't perfect fits obviously but it worked out for the best for all involved, THANKS MONTE. At least now we can literally put to bed any and all doubt that it was indeed use all along when it came to De'Aaron. Fox never had the right coach until now. Well, outside that one year where Walton did use Fox as the PG. Every other year it was slide him over to the 2 crap that killed this whole thing.

Warhawk

Staff member
I wasn't on board with either of these, especially due to that contract. It's absolutely massive. And I didn't believe that he'd be able to switch it back "on". I wanted to see him do that first before even considering trading for him (before even considering the quality of the pieces going back).